PDA

View Full Version : Is the Chronicles, and more specifically China, good?

locketcoket
10-22-2015, 03:04 AM
I might get Chronicles China soon. But I want a few more casual opinions, well opinions from not certified reviewers. Then you get the whole story. But anyways, is China worth ten buck or would it be better to wait until a PSN sale? Also how's the story, I haven't heard a thing about its story. Lastly, does the 2.5D gameplay work well?

SixKeys
10-22-2015, 05:03 AM
I've been playing Mark of the Ninja in the past few days and it's honestly the better alternative. Better story, better (and more) missions, more consistent rules and AI. Chronicles is fine if you crave more of that type of gameplay, but as an Assassin's Creed title it feels like the odd one out. Social stealth has been entirely replaced with vanilla stealth, parkour is restricted to strictly marked areas (going against one of the main draws of AC which is the freedom to parkour anywhere you want) and combat is so cumbersome it's better to die and start over if you get detected. The story (what little there is) is weird because they seem to have forgotten the character Shao Jun was in Embers and what her motivation was, so they came up with another revenge story. The 2.5D gameplay works fine, but isn't utilized all that much. The art style and soundtrack are quite nice.

Personally, I would suggest waiting for a sale.

JWRK
10-22-2015, 09:52 AM
I liked it (played on PC though).

Art direction is clearly the big draw. The story is perfunctory and ultimately pointless.

It's rather more challenging than the main series when you try to get big score and not just make it through the levels. Incidentally it's an Assassin's Creed game that punishes you for assassinating guard, which is not to everyone's taste but I did not really mind.