PDA

View Full Version : AggroAI

Hereticide
10-21-2015, 06:00 PM
What's the best part of MQEL to you?

To me it always was watching the replays. After setting up your defense, and countless tweaks, you were able to sit back and have the game essentially play itself. Attackers would visit and you'd watch as your pet dungeon performed.

In effect defending is more like a tower defense genre combined with AI creation genre. You place your traps, link your creatures and set up engagements, and plan around how the enemy thinks or where they will be. Then you sit back and watch how well it does.

It's not often that I stumble upon an upcoming gem in a niche genre like that. Something that captures the creative aspect as well as giving the user the control to create as they see fit.

Enter AggroAI, on Kickstarter now at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1397172346/aggroai with a fully playable DEMO (stressing that word, it's a fully functioning alpha build but there is plenty that will be updated) at http://www.aggroai.com/

https://youtu.be/6c2cWYVuask

I wouldn't normally plug for a game unless I was excited for it or I felt it needed the extra word-of-mouth. This one satisfies both conditions. With a paltry goal of only 6k this game will easily hit goal with your help. I'm not related to the project in any fashion except as a backer. I'm just excited to see it come to life and know the genre is hard to attract players. Just like MQEL. If you like defending your castle then please read on.

I've made several characters there and I can say there is a little bit of a learning curve to start but, once you get the hang of it, the tools are there for some amazing creations.

You start out with an animation editor. Pixel by pixel you create whatever bot you want. This creation will be fighting in the arena on your behalf later so take some time on it if you want! The current Demo animator allows for up to 3 frames of animation per illustration, but, you can stick with just a single frame to get the idea of it. So, you want to have an alien? A chicken? A squid? A superhero? Whatever you want, it's your creation. Lets say you paint a chicken since here we're all about them. Next up you would want to create a projectile image. Something that will be thrown or shot or whatever. So you pixel up a feather dart. Cool, done.

Now the magic happens. In the Character editor you take a simple logic gate approach to designing a fully functional AI. The character editor is a graphical flow-chart of sorts of built in commands. Click a button to tell the bot to shoot something, or jump, and then define how it functions and when it activates. So you click to insert a page to tell the AI to shoot the feather dart, but, you also put in a check first to see if the enemy is close enough for it to reach him. If the enemy is close enough you want your chicken to launch a feather but if the enemy is too far you want your AI to get closer. So you put in some logic to tell the AI when to shoot and when to move closer or away etc etc. All of this is done with very simple, but very powerful, built in commands.

And then you watch how well it performs as it loses battles or wins them, each time letting you realize how it could be better. Man, I lost that fight because I got trapped in a corner.. well, I should put a check in there, if my HP is super low I should jump towards the enemy really quick. That way if I'm out in the open I'll just end up getting closer to them but if I'm in a corner and low I'll jump past them, making them close to being cornered instead! Yeah, I'll do that. Voila. Just like tweaking your castle here and there to adjust to how the enemy thinks, you'll be making tweaks to how your AI thinks.

I've been in contact with the guy making it and I can say he's a very bright guy with high hopes for the project. Enough that I'm still excited about it.

But he needs your help. This kind of genre is hard to find and, as such, it's not getting a lot of the recognition it deserves. I really want this to happen. Namely because I love idle/semi-idle games and would love to be able to watch replays at work of my AI climbing the leaderboards or getting smashed by other players. Oh, yeah, replays are definitely a thing and already in the works!

If you think you may be interested then go ahead, click the link. If you know someone who might be interested, tell them. Every bit helps even if it's just telling a friend. It's why I'm here today telling my friends at MQEL. If even one of you end up backing a spare dollar, or if only one of you mentions something to a friend over a drink, then it was worth my time to help spread the word.

Thanks mates and keep fighting the good fight =)

Marwojak-
10-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Hmm, looks like Core Wars for dummies ;)

IMBIGNSCAREY
10-22-2015, 06:39 AM
This reminds me of...

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/saltypedia/images/b/b0/Saltytitle.png/revision/latest?cb=20130810155759

I'm sure I could pledge a few bucks for this highly original idea. I hate the graphics - I understand why they have to be so bad but still.... I do love the concept. Looks very challenging.

uboras
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
First, thank you Hereticide for still being around here and for sharing your discovery with us! Will definitely be taking a look. If you're interested in this genre of games it may be worth searching for the old (abandonware) PC game OMEGA, the first game I know of that took this approach. There you customized and programmed a tank that was then autonomously fighting another one on a fully customizable battlefield. The game is from 1990 and the BASIC-like programming language somewhat limited but the whole concept is there, with 2 different scanners, fuel and damage-level observance, etc.
Edit: If you're interested, make sure to get the game's manual as well... You can't do without :)

x-BlackKnight-x
10-27-2015, 01:43 AM
What's the best part of MQEL to you?

Laughing at the developer mistakes, because they refused to fix the problems over months or years.
Then a new developer team comes in, and it starts all over again.
The book when published will be called, "UbiSoft Game Development for Dummies but you can still make money".