PDA

View Full Version : Are A/C uncontrollable w/out rudder?

Oso2323
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Are A/C uncontrollable w/out rudder? Perhaps I should ask, is it possible to shoot down a plane in (almost) full real without rudder control?controls? Every time I get behind an enemy a/c my sight seems to jump around like mad, and I can't stabilize the plane. Actually manovering behind the enemy a/c is no problem, even against ace ai (okay, sometimes a problem). What can I do to make the plane fly smoother? Call me a n00b if it makes you feel better about yourself.

BTW, I usually fly the Hurri, 109, 190 and occasionally the p-40 or p-51.

Oso2323
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Are A/C uncontrollable w/out rudder? Perhaps I should ask, is it possible to shoot down a plane in (almost) full real without rudder control?controls? Every time I get behind an enemy a/c my sight seems to jump around like mad, and I can't stabilize the plane. Actually manovering behind the enemy a/c is no problem, even against ace ai (okay, sometimes a problem). What can I do to make the plane fly smoother? Call me a n00b if it makes you feel better about yourself.

BTW, I usually fly the Hurri, 109, 190 and occasionally the p-40 or p-51.

PBNA-Flanker
03-03-2004, 12:06 AM
you don't need rudder control to manuever.. you just need rudder control to manuever *quickly* .. up to the first patchof lock-on i had no rudder control on any of my jets and i still scored plenty of guns kills... having rudder control makes it that much easier tho since you don't have to roll 90 degree's to adjust your horizuntal heading quickly..

adlabs6
03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Using elevator trim will help, as you won't have to fight the stick while aiming. Retrim the plane for each time you adjust the trottle, it is hard durin combat, but it gets easier, and makes aiming easier too.

And yes, you can make kills with no rudder, it just is tougher to adjust for yaw.

http://www.geocities.com/adlabs6/B/bin/sigUBI.GIF
My FB/FS2004 Pages (http://www.geocities.com/adlabs6/B/) | IL2skins (http://www.il2skins.com) | OMEGASQUADRON (http://777avg.com/omegasquad/)

HangerQueen
03-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Maybe you need to increase the dead band setting on your joystick? (in the controller section of the menu, I think). That will stop your plane from twitching about as much.

"You can try, but it is a difficult and thankless task to compare the combat qualities of aircraft using reference book data. There are simply too many nuances to consider." N. G. Golodnikov

tenmmike
03-03-2004, 12:24 AM
if your plane is very twitchy thats a sign that your joy stick is starting to go bad...along with what every body else said

http://images.ar15.com/forums/smiles/anim_50cal.gifU.S INFANTRY 1984-1991

jobace
03-03-2004, 01:07 AM
maybe you fly with the"wrong" gunsight view.
try pressing control-F1.

ELEM
03-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Dont forget "secondary effect of controls". By banking with aileron you also induce yaw as the secondary effect. Add a little up elevator in the direction of the yaw and you have a turn!Conversly, use of rudder on it's own will induce roll as it's secondary effect. Many times I have been made rudderless but still been able to make a good landing and even make kills.

I wouldn't join any club that would have ME as member!

Franzen
03-03-2004, 01:31 AM
I've flown minus one elevater and my rudder and still got a kill. Since it's not life-threatening I even ram planes when I run out of ammo. In real life, I'd be ready to jump if I thought I might not out run my enemy. Enjoy the challenge. BTW, I call myself a "noob" to justify my lack of skill, works for me. :)

Fritz

Oso2323
03-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by HangerQueen:
Maybe you need to increase the dead band setting on your joystick? (in the controller section of the menu, I think). That will stop your plane from twitching about as much.

Hmmm, I'm liking this idea best. Do you have any suggestions as to how I would go about this, or what settings I should try first? Basically, I just want small movements close to the joystick's "center" to move my plane a little.

Thanks to all who replied.

P.S. I have to be pretty frustrated to ram someone. It usually happens after I've been picked off at 600m by a rear gunner in a flaming, spinning Stuka.

Franzen
03-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Actually ramming another plane is not so easy, especially if he doesn't know you are out of ammo. His thoughts=dogfighting, your thoughts=bumper cars. It's really a difficult working relationship. More difficult than just shooting him down. No frustration, just amusement and challenge. (I miss my smileys)

Fritz

edradour
03-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I would not recomend taran (raming) attacks on line.

There are too many variables to be sure you'll take him down. Sure - you can blow up, but the other guy may never knw you were there - until he get's credit for the kill.

HH Quazi
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
I played this game for 5 months before upgrading to and X-45 and having the rudder controls on the throttle. Before that, I didn't even try to use the keyboard for rudder control while in combat and still did well. S!