PDA

View Full Version : **Spoiler** Elise in AC Unity

LEGITxKNIGHT
10-21-2015, 02:55 AM
Someone petition to make Ubisoft to extend of create a DLC to keep elise alive in ac unity !! She was one of the best companions to have in all the ac games ive played and it really shaped arno throughout the story and it was really devastating to see elise die in the end.

ShoryukenMan
10-21-2015, 06:28 AM
S... A... V... E... H... E... R...

you can't

VestigialLlama4
10-21-2015, 06:40 AM
More important is to make sure Evie Frye doesn't get fridged in Syndicate the way Elise did.

Aphex_Tim
10-21-2015, 07:02 AM
Petition all you want; it ain't gonna happen.
Even though I agree Elise's death was incredibly stupid and unnecessary. It felt like such a cheap attempt to shock.

SofaJockey
10-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Whilst the world has moved on.

It was not devastating (an emotion brought about though good writing) it was infuriating and exasperating.

Élise's demise was the laziest, contrived, most pointless death, for the sake of some kind of drama.
It has killed any replay value.
It was a dumb writing decision.

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid

Now, if Arno had bought it in the final battle and Élise is left to fight another day in another game, now that would have been dramatic and interesting.

Pandassin
10-21-2015, 10:22 AM
As ridiculous as Élise's death was, it won't be changed.

I agree that Élise's death was dumb, I honestly don't understand who thought it was a good idea in the first place to kill her, the way they killed her was even worse.

cawatrooper9
10-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Whilst the world has moved on.

It was not devastating (an emotion brought about though good writing) it was infuriating and exasperating.

Élise's demise was the laziest, contrived, most pointless death, for the sake of some kind of drama.
It has killed any replay value.
It was a dumb writing decision.

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid

Now, if Arno had bought it in the final battle and Élise is left to fight another day in another game, now that would have been dramatic and interesting.

Exactly.
Remember the fight with Bellec in the cathederal, about halfway through the game?
That part where he is about to shoot Elise?
I was truly worried about her at that point. But that's because her death seems like the obvious option!
When she ended up walking away from that fight alive, I found myself far more shocked than if she had died (and in a good way, to be sure).

Her death in Unity brought nothing but an emo monologue by Arno at the end of the game, and an emo attitude by him in the DLC, somehow making him even more unlikable.

More important is to make sure Evie Frye doesn't get fridged in Syndicate the way Elise did.
I like to support the series. I really do, they've made many of my favorite games, and I have no problem forgiving the sins of Unity in the hope that future titles will be better. But I'd have to seriously reconsider my position on Assassins Creed if they end up offing Evie as a similar shock-bait twist in Syndicate.
Bad writing once, shame on you. Bad writing twice, shame on me.

VestigialLlama4
10-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Exactly.
Remember the fight with Bellec in the cathederal, about halfway through the game?
That part where he is about to shoot Elise?
I was truly worried about her at that point. But that's because her death seems like the obvious option!
When she ended up walking away from that fight alive, I found myself far more shocked than if she had died (and in a good way, to be sure).

You know until that cathedral fight with Bellec, there was a chance that Unity could have been a good game.

Her death in Unity brought nothing but an emo monologue by Arno at the end of the game, and an emo attitude by him in the DLC, somehow making him even more unlikable.

The thing is the minute Elise dies, Arno is destroyed as a character. I mean he's not convincing personally, nor does he have his own drive and conflict. Like UNITY was Elise's story, all of Arno's goals were essentially Elise's goals. In Dead Kings, without Elise, they had to somehow use Arno and so they brought in Leon to serve as a kind of substitute. All it does is point out why Arno is such a terrible character. Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward and Adewale and Aveline had their own story, goals and distinct drive. They didn't need to be proxy/surrogates for other characters.

But I'd have to seriously reconsider my position on Assassins Creed if they end up offing Evie as a similar shock-bait twist in Syndicate.

Well, bear in mind, that the backlash against fridging in games is still a recent thing and represents a vocal minority. Ubisoft is more sensitive than usual but who knows.