PDA

View Full Version : ACIV: Black Flag - Black screen with audio. Alt+tab out/in fixes the issue but...why?

ricthot
10-21-2015, 02:19 AM
Hey everyone,

Windows 10 Pro x64, Radeon HD6850, latest Catalyst drivers.

Just started playing Black Flag and facing an annoying issue. This will happen in game menus as well as in game. All of a sudden, screen goes black, but audio is fin, so game isn't crashed.

Al+tab back to desktop, then back to game will bring the display back and I can continue playing... Pretty annoying.

Is anyone facing a similar issue? I've read a lot of black screen reports, but they all seemed to be caused by a driver/game crash. In my case, game is still running and I can get back in and continue playing with the alt+tab fix. Event viewer shows no sign of a display driver crash or any errors about anything.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

YazX_
10-21-2015, 10:27 AM
if the screen goes black and get restored after switching windows then the DirectX device has been hijacked and lost, when you alt+tab back and forth you force the DirectX device to recreate textures and showing game normally.

There are alot of factors that can affect this, you can try to disable all overlays for all programs that are running, another thing you can try is to disable all startup applications and run the game, if it ran fine then you start enabling one program at a time to know which one is causing this, don't forget to do this for your AV as well.

ricthot
10-21-2015, 08:13 PM
if the screen goes black and get restored after switching windows then the DirectX device has been hijacked and lost, when you alt+tab back and forth you force the DirectX device to recreate textures and showing game normally.

There are alot of factors that can affect this, you can try to disable all overlays for all programs that are running, another thing you can try is to disable all startup applications and run the game, if it ran fine then you start enabling one program at a time to know which one is causing this, don't forget to do this for your AV as well.

Thanks for your input.

Actually, first thing I tried, and this is because it was giving me other non-related issues, was to stop using an HDMI connection between PC and monitor and use a DVI cable instead... not a single black screen issue since then, after multiple hours of gameplay.

YazX_
10-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks for your input.

Actually, first thing I tried, and this is because it was giving me other non-related issues, was to stop using an HDMI connection between PC and monitor and use a DVI cable instead... not a single black screen issue since then, after multiple hours of gameplay.

hmmm, then it must be a driver issue, anyway glad you got it sorted out.