PDA

View Full Version : Brewster (and possibly others) isn't like he was implied to be in trailers [SPOILERS]

Farlander1991
10-19-2015, 06:13 PM
So, mods please delete this if this is against the rules, but as far as I am aware the embargo on gameplay footage from YouTubers was lifted, which is why there's a surge of YouTube videos with no action from Ubisoft to remove them.

But I was looking at some footage, and David Brewster in the story trailer was called a Mad Scientist. Well, I'm kinda glad that it was a big oversimplification, like this video and Brewster's death monologue shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71mk20ed8PU

As one of the first targets, there's not much character/character development to him of course, but it's nice to see that he's not a simply evil mad character like the trailer would imply.

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 06:18 PM
So, mods please delete this if this is against the rules, but as far as I am aware the embargo on gameplay footage from YouTubers was lifted, which is why there's a surge of YouTube videos with no action from Ubisoft to remove them.

But I was looking at some footage, and David Brewster in the story trailer was called a Mad Scientist. Well, I'm kinda glad that it was a big oversimplification, like this video and Brewster's death monologue shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71mk20ed8PU

As one of the first targets, there's not much character/character development to him of course, but it's nice to see that he's not a simply evil mad character like the trailer would imply.

Well he does rant against Darwin so that must be what they mean by calling him mad.

Kinda weird that of the footage on YouTube, we've basically seen all of it already in previews. One whole sequence was fully shown before.

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 06:50 PM
I've watched a few of these videos popping up online and eesh! The story is rushed as hell. Sequence 1 and 2 are far too short and I tire of Evie constantly berating Jacob as he clearly seems to think highly of her. And the modern day is just... :(

I-Like-Pie45
10-19-2015, 06:54 PM
thats exactly what brian does to me sniffle wiffle :(

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Must... Resist... Watching...

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Must... Resist... Watching...

Resistance is Futile.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Got a lot of Garnier vibes

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Got a lot of Garnier vibes

Not really. I mean there's no real explanation for why he does what he does, which you got with Garnier or even Benjamin Church (the other Templar doctor).

David Brewster is interesting in that he was a real-life scientist and it's weird we are assassinating him. He was the inventor of the Kaleidoscope and an important physicist. Yes he was a Christian who opposed Darwin but they were really reaching with him. The only other high profile scientist who was a target, Antonio de Ulloa, was spared by Aveline in Liberation. You also had Louis Godin in Freedom Cry, who was a corrupt slaver who Adewale decided not to kill.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Not really. I mean there's no real explanation for why he does what he does, which you got with Garnier or even Benjamin Church (the other Templar doctor).

He just reminds me of him.

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 08:35 PM
He just reminds me of him.

That line of dialogue he says at the end, is amazing.
"We fight to gain what we cannot take with us. It's in our nature."

This is why deathbed conversations is so important. I mean Brewster is there for one mission and one sequence but he gets his time to shine and make an impression, which Unity's flashbacks failed to do well, except in rare instances. That's what AC1 was about, that assassins generally meet their target once but the life they are taking is of serious consequence. Well at least that was the original intent.

Farlander1991
10-20-2015, 07:42 PM
So, apparently when it comes to Sequence 4, it's not 'Mission 2 onward' that's embargoed, but 'mission 2 in particular', as the ones that are after it in Seq4 are safely online. And we see Doctor Elliotson and more Crawford Starrick. And I must say.... they're not like the trailer has portrayed them either. I mean, Elliotson here is not a saint of course, but so far my first impression is that I would say it's closer to how AC1 Templars are portrayed (oh, a monster who deserves to die! ... but maybe there's something he's right about....) rather than ACB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmH4UVmFlbY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmH4UVmFlbY)

VestigialLlama4
10-20-2015, 08:59 PM
So, apparently when it comes to Sequence 4, it's not 'Mission 2 onward' that's embargoed, but 'mission 2 in particular', as the ones that are after it in Seq4 are safely online. And we see Doctor Elliotson and more Crawford Starrick. And I must say.... they're not like the trailer has portrayed them either. I mean, Elliotson here is not a saint of course, but so far my first impression is that I would say it's closer to how AC1 Templars are portrayed (oh, a monster who deserves to die! ... but maybe there's something he's right about....) rather than ACB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmH4UVmFlbY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmH4UVmFlbY)

Well ACB you had Baron de Valois who was kind of sympathetic. I don't know I just don't find Syndicate's characters to have any real depth. Whether it's the Fryes, the supporting cast and the villains.

The thing is we need to have actual context for the Templars actions to create that ambiguity. Like in AC1, when Garnier de Naplouse broke the legs of that mentally ill guy, it was a cruel thing but as a direct consequence of us intervening, we have those lunatics among the crowd in all those cities harassing and breaking us out of cover. So you could think in retrospect that Garnier, as cruel and harsh as he was, was the only real help these nutcases were going to get in that time and place. In AC3, attacking William Johnson had that same effect. He was a bad guy, he was treacherous and wielding guns at a peace meeting. But you could walk away thinking that maybe Johnson would have been better for Connor's tribe after all, or at least that's the impression it tries to give. You don't know for certain. Attacking Jonathan Pitcairn was even more tragic because he was a genuinely decent person, probably the only Templar who was a real nice guy.

Here it's just Templars trying to stand on a soapbox talking of vision and order. Well anyone can do that. You need better than usual writing to put across that these Templars actually walk the walk or can actually be sensible. Otherwise it's one dying man's words which we can take or leave.

I do like Starrick's dialogue though, "This tea was brought to me from India by a ship, then, up from the harbor to a factory, where it was packaged and ferried by carriage to my door, unpacked in the larder and brought upstairs to me. All by men and women who work for me. Who are indebted to me, Crawford Starrick, for their jobs, their time, their very lives. They will work in my factories and so to shall their children." I mean it's that all powerful evil vision of capitalism that has a scary truth to it. I hate Lucy Thorne though, and I don't like that she's this mini-boss for Evie only to fight. I think she deserves better.

EmptyCrustacean
10-21-2015, 12:44 AM

Where is mission 3,4 etc then? Because what you have posted i believe is mission 1.