PDA

View Full Version : Let me upgrade my Assassins Creed 3 and Black Flag games over Steam.

Default137
10-19-2015, 12:59 AM
So yeah, I've said this before. I'll post it a million more times. Doubt I'll ever see it "fixed" though.

Steam as a service is great, outside of one small thing. It counts all versions of a game as the exact same thing. If you buy a game, you can never rebuy it for yourself, only for others as a gift. This makes sense until you get into the latest publishing trend of "versions/editions". Namely Standard/Deluxe versions of games.

If you buy Assassins Creed 3 Deluxe on Steam for example ( or did back in the day ), you not only got the game, but also the Benedict Arnold missions. If you DIDN'T buy Assassins Creed 3 Deluxe back in the day, but instead let's say bought Assassins Creed 3 Standard edition, you will never be able to see that Benedict Arnold content. Because even if you later decide you really like AssCreed 3 and want to support Ubisoft with more money/to buy the Deluxe Edition, you can't. Because according to Steam, you already own the game, and cannot rebuy the "different" Assassins Creed 3 Deluxe version.

Most developers fix this oversight by offering that additional content as DLC down the line ( see everyone other then Ubisoft ). Some developers make a fake DLC that's $5-$10 that just "upgrades" your Standard Edition to a Deluxe Edition of the game. Hell, Ubisoft did this with Assassins Creed 2 when they brought the Deluxe content over, and I bought that upgrade then! But for some reason, Assassins Creed 3, and Black Flag do not have this option.

The only way to access the 3 Benedict Arnold missions from AssCreed 3, and the Aveline mission from Black Flag is to have bought the Deluxe version to begin with. If you got the games as a gift through a bundle, or by buying the Ubisoft Steam packs, you are forever unable to see that content, because you can never upgrade/rebuy those versions, and for some reason Ubisoft is unwilling to sell them as DLC. If you are like me, and bought AssCreed 3 when you didn't have extra money to spend, or bought Black Flag and wasn't convinced in Season Passes yet, you will never see the Benedict Arnold/Aveline content ever again, because Ubisoft has completely forgotten about that content.

This is a baffling choice. Every other Assassins Creed game has since sold it's preorder/Deluxe Edition content as DLC, for those that just wanted the core Assassins Creed package at first. It's easy, free money, that's just hidden away behind a locked door neither Valve nor Ubisoft care to open. I've asked Valve multiple times to remove the games from my account so I could rebuy the $50 versions, but they refuse. And I've asked Ubisoft multiple times through support to add ways to buy this DLC, and they've told me it's supposed to be "Deluxe" content, and shouldn't be purchasable after release.....even though it's so easy to fall into the trap of being unable to ever buy it if you got these games through normal means.

Ironically enough, the easiest way to get access to the Benedict Arnold missions/Aveline missions these days are through illicit/illegal means, ie using pirates and crackers DLC unlocker packs to unlock them for you. But this is a terrible solution, because god knows how many viruses/malware/adware you could accidentally end up with from using sites like that. And hell, the only way TO use most of those unlockers is to set back your copy of AssCreed 3/AssCreed BF to an earlier patch, which means you could run into bugs/have problems with your actual bought DLC.

So here's my Feedback/Suggestion. Make a DLC tab on the Assassins Creed 3 and Assassins Creed Black Flag tabs on the Steam store that lets you update to the Deluxe/Gold editions of those games, which gives access to this content. Make it $5-$10, whatever you think is fair for games of that age. Or hell, just release those DLCs as separate DLCs if you don't want to let people upgrade their versions of those games. Either way, make it so people can actually have the "complete" versions of all the Assassins Creed games.

e: So after looking at the store pages again, I realize the Deluxe edition now contains ALL the DLC for both games, and if people haven't bought all the DLC like I have, that'd be a really absurd deal. So my suggestion is to instead, make the Benedict Arnold Missions/Aveline missions separate DLC you can buy, rather then an "upgrade" situation.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
10-19-2015, 07:32 PM
good luck with that. i tried to let them give us update as Installers like they used to before AC4, no use.