PDA

View Full Version : AC Syndicate has an 18GB day 1 patch (RUMOR)

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:00 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3p8fbz/assassins_creed_syndicate_has_a_18gb_day_one_patch/

Review copies that have been sent out apparently had to download this patch... insane.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Developers should learn from what happened with the Witcher's huge patch. It never goes well. I have a feeling this patch will do more to break than fix, if this rumor is true.

ze_topazio
10-18-2015, 09:04 PM
There's something rather wrong with modern gaming.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:06 PM
There's something rather wrong with modern gaming.
The natural progression of any technology. The more it advances, the more proportionally complex it becomes.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:08 PM
I also thinking having multiple AC games in development at one time, yearly releases, and the need to hit the Xmas deadline are factors too.

ze_topazio
10-18-2015, 09:11 PM
The natural progression of any technology. The more it advances, the more proportionally complex it becomes.

I was talking more about publishers imposing super restricted deadlines on developers and those same publishers being totally fine with releasing games in miserable conditions.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I was talking more about publishers imposing super restricted deadlines on developers and those same publishers being totally fine with releasing games in miserable conditions.
Well, it can't be helped. Businesses need to make money to justify the work they're doing. The work increases as the technology advances. The company expands more and more, investors want results and employees have to be paid. It's all a cycle. No matter how supposedly broken a game is, it HAS to be released. It's broken because the technology is very complex. Patches started out as these small 200 MB things, but then they started growing more and more until it is what it is today. it's inevitable that patches will grow larger as a game becomes more complex. It's not shady tactics, it's just the reality of technology.

What IS shady is them releasing it all at once. Look at Witcher, 18 GB in one single patch. It broke the game for a lot of people. It should be broken down and divided into more patches, instead of just one. I think this provides for better testing and resourcing. It's more costly, though, of course.

I also thinking having multiple AC games in development at one time, yearly releases, and the need to hit the Xmas deadline are factors too.
Not necessarily since Witcher recently had an 18 GB patch.

BananaBlighter
10-18-2015, 09:18 PM
WAT!!! :eek: I thought Ubi had learned from Unity, guess not. As Assassin_M pointed out, it's probably going to make more problems that solve, with so much fixing to keep track of, it's rather impossible to tell in that amount of time whether the changes have any negative impacts on other parts of the code. Watch how we get even more than 5 patches this time...

Though haven't people in the previews been saying that it runs fine??? :confused:

HDinHB
10-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Some guy on reddit says that some people that have the game say....

I'll pay attention when it comes from a direct source.

BananaBlighter
10-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Some guy on reddit says that some people that have the game say....

I'll pay attention when it comes from a direct source.

Ok maybe I won't trust this too. Is it just this one guy on Reddit stating it?

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Not necessarily since Witcher recently had an 18 GB patch.

Thats true, but everything costs for developers too. MGSV missed an entire Act because it was costing Konami too much. Same probably happened internally for CDPR, game was "complete", figured they should ship it to cover costs, fix things later.

Also some Witcher patches screwed more things up so they needed more patches.

Selestina118
10-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Wow. Thank goodness my internet is fairly quick. I wonder how long it will take to download that? O.o

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Thats true, but everything costs for developers too. MGSV missed an entire Act because it was costing Konami too much. Same probably happened internally for CDPR, game was "complete", figured they should ship it to cover costs, fix things later.

Also some Witcher patches screwed more things up so they needed more patches.
Well, yes, which is unfortunately inevitable with the more technology advances. I think as time moves on too, developers will learn better to adapt to this new business-development model. They'll figure out that doing a big patch doesn't save money, but it gives way to unexpected problems and thus MORE money.

ze_topazio
10-18-2015, 09:28 PM
What's funny about MGSV is that the game ended up making almost three times more money than it cost on the very first day, Konami created all that madness with Kojima, ruined their reputation and in the end it was for nothing.

According to the people playing Syndicate already the game doesn't appear to have any major problem.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:29 PM
If this rumour is true I cant wait to read the patch notes

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Developers should learn from what happened with the Witcher's huge patch. It never goes well. I have a feeling this patch will do more to break than fix, if this rumor is true.

Nice try. Subtly trying to ease the blow by mentioning that Witcher 3 - one of the most beloved games of this year - had the same thing.
This is Ubisoft though - and 18GB patch can only indicate terrible, terrible things.

ShoryukenMan
10-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Well, for those of you who are picking the game up on day one, can I ask a favor?

Can you play the game a bit without the patch and tell me how it preforms? I'm getting sick of all these huge patches. 500 gigabytes is just not enough for this generation. 1 terabyte isn't even enough. Xbox One and PS4 are going to need 2-3 terabyte models soon. Hopefully the PS4 will get some kind of external hard drive at some point, because I'm too paranoid to try and swap the internal hard drive with a bigger one.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Nice try. Subtly trying to ease the blow by mentioning that Witcher 3 - one of the most beloved games of this year - had the same thing.
This is Ubisoft though - and 18GB patch can only indicate terrible, terrible things.
Ohp, you caught me again. Gorsh dangit.

You should hang out at the CDPR forums some more.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Well, for those of you who are picking the game up on day one, can I ask a favor?

Can you play the game a bit without the patch and tell me how it preforms? I'm getting sick of all these huge patches. 500 gigabytes is just not enough for this generation. 1 terabyte isn't even enough. Xbox One and PS4 are going to need 2-3 terabyte models soon. Hopefully the PS4 will get some kind of external hard drive at some point, because I'm too paranoid to try and swap the internal hard drive with a bigger one.

I doubt anyone would do that. What if some of the bug fixes are game saving glitches? I think its best to wait for patch notes.

ShoryukenMan
10-18-2015, 09:46 PM
You're right, but doesn't hurt to ask.

*sigh*

18 gigabyte patch... Jebus...

BananaBlighter
10-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Its a massive expansion pack! YAY!!!

just kidding

HDinHB
10-18-2015, 09:57 PM

I think that's the first time I've seen M accused of subtlety. You did read the part where he said "it never goes well"?

Don't worry, there will be plenty of people playing and posting about problems on Day One.

I just put a new drive in my PS4 this week. It's dead easy.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I think that's the first time I've seen M accused of subtlety. You did read the part where he said "it never goes well"?

You don't understand. He was trying to say "Ubisoft isn't the only dev to do this so stop the anti-Ubi bandwagon already!". He is fiercely loyal to Ubisoft and always has been.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 10:58 PM
He is fiercely loyal to Ubisoft and always has been.
If you have a personal problem with me, take it to PM. Don't derail the threads with your rubbish.

Pandassin
10-18-2015, 10:59 PM
You don't understand. He was trying to say "Ubisoft isn't the only dev to do this so stop the anti-Ubi bandwagon already!". He is fiercely loyal to Ubisoft and always has been.

No, he wasn't. M was literally just giving an example from where a similar thing has happened before...

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 11:06 PM
If you have a personal problem with me, take it to PM. Don't derail the threads with your rubbish.

I see what you did there :D

harsab
10-18-2015, 11:09 PM
There is no credible proof? He literally just said that with no proof? lmao wtf?

harsab
10-18-2015, 11:10 PM

I always get the impression that you want AC to fail in every single possible way. It's like you're hired by someone, EA is that you?

ze_topazio
10-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Everybody knows Assassin_M is actually Patrice Désilets in disguise.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:15 PM
You're not far off....Patrice is actually my disciple. That's why i'm so harsh on his games (except AC I). It's also why i'm so loyal to Ubisoft, I hate on their most popular games, except AC IV. See how loyal I am?

harsab
10-18-2015, 11:16 PM
What if this 18gb patch is actually the MD & we get it on the launch day so these early reviewers can't spoil the surprise for us....

lol oh lord only in a perfect world.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 11:17 PM
What if this 18gb patch is actually the MD & we get it on the launch day so these early reviewers can't spoil the surprise for us....

lol :D

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 11:20 PM
I always get the impression that you want AC to fail in every single possible way. It's like you're hired by someone, EA is that you?

That's why I bought every installment and DLC and played them multiple times, own the sword of Altair and was a lone range supporting Syndicate back when everyone thought it was going to be Unity 2.0. Yeah, die AC. :rolleyes:

No because Patrice is an accomplished game developer, not a wannabe.

I-Like-Pie45
10-18-2015, 11:25 PM
theres no reasoning with the inherent female void's inadequacy in the presence of the male light

bitebug2003
10-18-2015, 11:25 PM
That's why I bought every installment and DLC and played them multiple times, own the sword of Altair and was a lone range supporting Syndicate back when everyone thought it was going to be Unity 2.0. Yeah, die AC. :rolleyes:

EmptyCrustacean,

Please stop winding people up.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 11:28 PM

I fear for your boyfriend.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I try my best.

Wolfmeister1010
10-18-2015, 11:49 PM
What are we, in kindergarten?

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 12:02 AM
EmptyCrustacean,

Please stop winding people up.

:rolleyes:

Black_Widow9
10-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Always....

MT4K
10-19-2015, 12:05 AM

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/9cc8fda5d85225cccdd80d2ee573ce5554622deb900585fe60 255aebc001a5b5_1.gif

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 02:31 AM
Someone with the game replied to the original reddit post:

Assassin's Creed Syndicate has a 18gb day one patch. (self.PS4)
submitted 5 hours ago by sp_dv
People that have a review copy report it's a 18.1gbs day one patch on ps4. And the game itself is around 40gbs.

And the reply:

slasherjpc an hour ago*
My review copy only had an update of 530 mb or so. Unless the update went live an hour ago or so not sure where this report is coming from. Also to prove I own the game. http://imgur.com/a/EfVbu

IAmAbomination an hour ago
It's cool you have the game and all but it's not day 1 yet so wouldn't that patch not be out for download yet? maybe you got the early review patch or something.
also how is the game?!

slasherjpc 29 minutes ago
Yeah, just the document they sent with it stated the patch was live and that would be representative of launch. It's AC for sure but people that like the setting should enjoy.
permalinkparent

Oh, and the original post has been removed. Oh.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 02:35 AM
Someone with the game replied to the original reddit post:

And the reply:

Oh, and the original post has been removed. Oh.
Well there goes that then. I'd much rather believe someone who has the game than someone who said they heard reviewers saying.

ShoryukenMan
10-19-2015, 05:07 AM
*Phew*

Well, thank goodness. It's still going to be while before I pick this up as I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm not even half way through quite yet. Then the plan is to get Fallout 4 after I'm done with that, but this is good to hear, at least.

RVSage
10-19-2015, 08:29 AM
The entire rumour has been busted , maybe time to shut this down?

bitebug2003
10-19-2015, 10:05 AM
The entire rumour has been busted , maybe time to shut this down?

Agreed.

Closed.