PDA

View Full Version : Limited Icons

ohadbx
04-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi
how can I make and define limited icons to games i host?
(i mean only friendly icons or a certain distance)

thanks!

ohadbx
04-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Hi
how can I make and define limited icons to games i host?
(i mean only friendly icons or a certain distance)

thanks!

Tully__
04-03-2004, 07:39 AM
I reproduce here a post I made at SimHQ about 2 years ago:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I see more & more people are considering custom icons as an option to address the dot visibility problem at middle ranges.
Here is some information on controlling dot and icon display. the console command to use is "mp_dotrange".
To activate the console, go into the chat window and type "&gt;"
All information entered into the chat window will be treated as console commands until you backspace over the "&gt;" character.
You can also toggle in and out of console mode by pressing Shift-Tab.

There are a number of parameters available for the mp_dotrange command. They are

FRIENDLY & FOE indicates that this use of the command applies to friendly or enemy units
To apply the same settings to both sides, omit this parameter.

DOT Specifies the range at which the dot becomes visible.

NAME Range at which Pilot name becomes visible

COLOR Range at which the icon takes on the army color

TYPE How far the aircraft type information is displayed.

RANGE Distance at which range information is displayed

ID Where the aircraft ID numbers become visible.

This command is case sensitive. "mp_dotrange" must be in lowercase and the parameters are in uppercase. Range is specified in km after each parameter, and I believe that the minimum you can specify is 0.05km.
The default distances are DOT 16km and all other information 6km.

The command
&gt;mp_dotrange DEFAULT
will restore the icons to the default distances.

The command
&gt;mp_dotrange
without any parameters will display the current icon settings in the console.

One version of custom icons I have seen in use is icons for friendlies, no icons for enemies.
To get these settings, you need to type in the chat window the following console commands immediately after you click fly.

&gt;mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
&gt;mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1

This will give you friendly information at the following ranges.

Aircraft dot 15km
Range 5km
Pilot name 2.5km
All other 100m

On enemy

Aircraft dot 15km
All other 100m

Another version uses a different scheme, using the same parameters for all aircraft. I don't know the exact settings used, but they are something like:

&gt;mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05

The justification for these is the resulting icons are really short and don't clutter up the image very much. It's fairly good to fly with too, you don't have to be right on top of someone to identify friend or foe, and provided you take note of the id number, you can keep track of friend/foe even if you get outside of COLOR range again.

If I set custom icons, I use settings that mimic my personal feelings about where each of the factors would really be visible. I use something like the following:

&gt;mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

As I understand it, in the real deal pilots were usually able to tell friend from foe by aircraft type, but occasionally they encountered captured aircraft with enemy markings. Consequently I've chosen to "recognise" type at a greater range than friend/enemy. All of these settings are based on my own experiences observing aircraft in flight at air shows and from airport terminals. I think they are reasonable estimate as my eyesight is not perfect, but a pilot in combat is usually trying to determine these factors in less than ideal conditions, reducing the advantage of his "superior" eyesight.

There is also a way to shortcut these longwinded versions of the mp_dotrange command. In your IL2 directory there a file called rcu. Note that this file has no extension, and after modifying it you need to ensure that notepad hasn't been too helpful and added a .txt extension to it. In this file you can set aliases for long commands you use frequently. An alias is a shorthand version of the command. The default version of the rcu file contains the following text.

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 100

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

I don't know what the first line does. I think the second tells the IL2 console to echo the contents of the chat window. The 3rd activates aliases. The forth tells IL2 how many lines of chat to remember in the game chatlog.

The line @alias a alias sets "a" as a shorthand for "alias". The two following lines use the alias "a" to set "h" as an alias for "history" and "s" as an alias for "show".
If you add the following lines to your rcu. file, you will be able to apply any of the above icon settings with a 3 or 4 character command instead of typing the whole schemozzle quoted above each time you start a game.

@a v1fr mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 5 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 2.5
@a v1fo mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.1 DOT 15 RANGE 0.1 TYPE 0.1 ID 0.1 NAME 0.1
@a v2ff mp_dotrange DOT 16 ID 4 COLOR 1.5 NAME 0.05 TYPE 0.05 RANGE 0.05
@a tul mp_dotrange DOT 15 TYPE 4 COLOR 2.5 RANGE 0.8 NAME 0.5 ID 0.3

With these lines in your rcu. file typing "&gt;tul" in the chat window will activate my version of the icon settings. Typing "&gt;v2ff" will activate the second set of settings mentioned.
Typing "&gt;v1fr" will activate the friendly icon settings in the first scheme, and "&gt;v1fo" will activate the foe settings in the first scheme.

Credit to IJ of JG11 for developing the first scheme & vol_lizking for the second.

I hope this helps those of you who may be thinking of experimenting with custom icons.

I wish to thank all of those who have posted on this topic in the past. Most of my knowledge on this topic comes from reading threads in this forum and it was remiss of me not to acknowledge the efforts of the community in sharing their knowledge, enabling me to assemble this guide.
Thank you all,

S!
Tully
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

ohadbx
04-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Wow! great!

thanks a lot.

mllaneza
04-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Tully's obviously El Viro on this topic. This must be why he's a mod.

But as befits some random goofball on the 'net, I want more.

Tully, do you know if its possible to adjust the lock on range for external padlock ? Getting F6 range down to nil would be of great interest to those on the border bewteen the Full Real and Full Difficulty camps.

Veteran - Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force. 1993-1951.

Tully__
04-03-2004, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mllaneza:
Tully's obviously El Viro on this topic. This must be why he's a mod.

But as befits some random goofball on the 'net, I want more.

Tully, do you know if its possible to adjust the lock on range for external padlock ? Getting F6 range down to nil would be of great interest to those on the border bewteen the Full Real and Full Difficulty camps.

Veteran - Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force. 1993-1951.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My knowledge on this topic is almost entirely a compilation of material from other's research and posts. AFAIK, padlock range is fixed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.

Adjustable padlock range is one of the most frequently mentioned feature requests in Oleg's Ready Room. I hope to see it in a future 1C:Maddox sim, but don't think we'll ever see it in sims based on the IL2 engine.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

Teufel_Eldritch
04-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Go to Sturmovik ScriptPark (http://scripts.sturmovik.de/html/index_english.html) & download the iconscript. It is a handy little tool for managing icon scripts. You can either use your own custom scripts or use the scripts provided.

YANKEE ROSE
-----------
"For a world of happiness & equality is but a fantasy driven by men who envy the ruling class."