PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Gamer Impressions (PC) **POTENTIAL SPOILERS**

Locopells
10-17-2015, 11:57 AM
OK, with the embargo on press reviews of the console game due to drop soon (Thursday at 12:00 BST, 4AM PDT, 7AM EST), and several private orders of the console version already reading as dispatched.I'm creating this thread to collect all impressions of the PC version from ordinary games and forums members and subsequent discussion when it releases (November 19th). It's down to you as to how spoiler-y to be, so take care AND USE SPOILER TAGS!!!.

I'll leave this thread open, for the above reasons, but please refrain from general speculation/trolling/etc.

For press reviews, go here:

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Press Reviews (PC) **POTENTIAL SPOILERS**
(http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299292-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-Press-Reviews-(PC)-**POTENTIAL-SPOILERS**)
For the console version of the thread, go here:
(http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299091-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-Press-Reviews-**POTENTIAL-SPOILERS**?p=11088871#post11088871)
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Gamer Impressions (Console) **POTENTIAL SPOILERS** (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299093-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-Gamer-Forum-Member-Impressions-**POTENTIAL-SPOILERS**?p=11088874#post11088874)

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
10-18-2015, 02:31 PM
PC spoilers? Man the game doesn't even come until nov 19th...

Locopells
10-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Fortune favours the prepared...

naumaan
10-18-2015, 06:44 PM
so we can discuss the spoilers before we can play the game ... D .. wow .. what an idea ...

it was a brilliant game from the first look of ps4 edition ... i saw the 40 minutes video yesterday ..its nice ...

strigoi1958
10-18-2015, 08:06 PM
I played the demo and I am really hyped about it

naumaan
10-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I played the demo and I am really hyped about it

demo on ?

to be honest .. unity and syndicate both are new for me so I am kind of having a consensus on whether to stay in the spoiler thread or no .. i ve played rogue ... and i am having questions about the

box shay collected from arno's father, what was it about? is it shown in ac unity? just tell me yes or no .. i ll find it laters by playing the game

strigoi1958
10-19-2015, 01:22 AM
I played the demo of syndicate at the European gaming expo... I played as Evie... The stealth is great and i tried the rope launcher which is excellent. . really brings back memories of Ezios hookblade. But knowing people have often mentioned combat I decided to take on 7 or 8 guards... The combat is perfect it allows us to counter and mix attacks... I got hurt and got enough space to heal and return to win. So it is well balanced... We cannot take on an army but are skilled enough for a small gang.. So stealth is still the right way to play.. :)

dargor5
10-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Here are some PC spoilers.
- It has MFAA,FXAA,TXAA, Nvidia works stuff (that might brake your game)
- Smooth 60FPS on GTX 980 and beyond
- 4K Resolution
- SweetFX compatible

:P

strigoi1958
10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Here are some PC spoilers.
- It has MFAA,FXAA,TXAA, Nvidia works stuff (that might brake your game)
- Smooth 60FPS on GTX 980 and beyond
- 4K Resolution
- SweetFX compatible

:P

Yes unfortunately the settings are not always better the higher up you go... as long as people adjust them they can get it perfect. Some people still have a I-MUST-MAX-OUT-THE-SETTINGS attitude and setting are there to be moved up and down... otherwise why have them ? just have 1 setting max.

I must admit some of the Unity screen shots with sweetFX looked amazing.. it really adds contrast and depth... I think it caused some people a few problems but it is part of another program radeonpro I think and that seemed to stop conflicts... I believe it works with nvidia cards not just amd.

Going4Quests
10-19-2015, 09:48 PM
60 fps only on GTX 980? I bought a GTX 970 for Unity last year...

strigoi1958
10-19-2015, 10:30 PM
the gtx 970 is an awesome top of the range card... I wouldn't read too much into dargors post G4Q it is a bit tongue in cheek... he's just joking. above the 970 is only the titan (not specifically for gaming) and the 980's so nothing for you to worry about for a few years at least...I can assure you there is no difference between the screenshots I took with my 970 and my 980ti

at 1920 x 1080 the 970 averages 101 fps in tomb raider while the 980 averages 107 fps in gta v or metro LL its 5 fps difference (and these are the average fps which means both cards are peaking around another 40 to 50 % so the 970 should hit 145 fps in tomb raider at peak.... there's not much around that can match it... :D

check this out for a maximum fps at ultra with ultra texture pack

https://youtu.be/OWUM3oKzi6M

Le-Snake-59
10-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I am French is my reflection

I do not intend to buy any sequence from the AC AC Syndicate Untiy case which was in France, How many have English they work on Unity. Lack of motivation of English is the worst of the AC series. They said "me being English or of English origin mention France it pisses me off to talk about themselves (or countries).

There you tighten Anglophones you 100% motivated. AC Syndicate it will present no problem.

dargor5
10-20-2015, 02:18 AM
the gtx 970 is an awesome top of the range card... I wouldn't read too much into dargors post G4Q it is a bit tongue in cheek... he's just joking. above the 970 is only the titan (not specifically for gaming) and the 980's so nothing for you to worry about for a few years at least...I can assure you there is no difference between the screenshots I took with my 970 and my 980ti

at 1920 x 1080 the 970 averages 101 fps in tomb raider while the 980 averages 107 fps in gta v or metro LL its 5 fps difference (and these are the average fps which means both cards are peaking around another 40 to 50 % so the 970 should hit 145 fps in tomb raider at peak.... there's not much around that can match it... :D

check this out for a maximum fps at ultra with ultra texture pack

https://youtu.be/OWUM3oKzi6M

Yes I was joking :P
I mean those are the only exclusive PC spoilers we can have LOL
A 970 should run the game max no problem. Depending on your cpu too

Going4Quests
10-20-2015, 04:12 PM
I7 4770 (quad 3.4Ghz of 4nd Generation) and 16GB RAM. I done ultra on Unity, which gave 40 fps, I was fine with that, but I'd like it to be 60 (or just higher than Unity). I was a bit scared it'd be lower than Unity, but confident now. :')

Danny_rx7
10-20-2015, 11:15 PM
above the 970 is only the titan (not specifically for gaming) and the 980's so nothing for you to worry about for a few years at least...I can assure you there is no difference between the screenshots I took with my 970 and my 980ti

Next year, hopefully Q1 2016, nVidia will release new Pascal GPU's which will have full DirectX12 support and implemented HBM memory (bye bye GDDR5). So, those new middle range cards will surely be better than GTX970/980.

But yeah, Syndicate will run just fine on GTX970 and any Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge / Haswell i3 or i5 processor. :) And I believe there won't be the same catastrophe at launch, like it was with Unity. :D

Locopells
11-17-2015, 12:27 PM
https://twitter.com/AccessTheAnimus/status/666571695021494273

dinjo_jo
11-17-2015, 12:52 PM
I dont uderstand what you are trying to post

strigoi1958
11-17-2015, 02:11 PM
There will be a stream in a few hours. I've watched a few gameplays on twitch and a podcast and the interaction is amazing.

On one of twitch gameplays... the amount of free gifts that were given away by Ubisoft by Ubigabe and Escoblades was incredible. Limited edition items, Evie and Jacob statuettes and some very expensive razer black widow keyboards. The show and fan interaction was brilliant but the huge bonus gifts were just another nice thing Ubi does for us that doesn't get enough recognition.

dinjo_jo
11-17-2015, 02:14 PM
^ Are you saying someone is streaming PC version on twitch if yes link please

DarkDragonAC
11-19-2015, 07:25 PM
There are still few bugs in game so far. Flying carriages, flaying dead bodies, walking on air. Even once my character was... ohh see for yourselfhttp://www.acidcave.net/sphinx/assassins_creed%3F_syndicate2015-11-19-19-13-17.jpg

naumaan
11-19-2015, 08:16 PM
great ... you guys are discussing the syndicate .. and i am stuck at unity with the old bugs as I am able to reach there this time ... wow .. fantastic ... :(

RVSage
11-19-2015, 08:22 PM
I have not come across any game breaking bugs so far, nor any of the bugs mentioned above. Smooth gameplay into sequence 4. Small bugs will always remain in open world games. Just like the witcher 3 even after 9 months has loads

OxIdOAC
11-19-2015, 08:30 PM
I must say after 5~6 hours of playing the Syndicate, i love it! I really do. I kinda liked Unity graphics vise mostly, but this is refreshing after Black Flag.
I didn't encounter any bug so far, game runs smooth on my machine. Ultra settings, except shadows high without PCSS.
I7 4790K
ASUS GTX 970 4GB
16 GB RAM
SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

strigoi1958
11-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Absolutely incredible such a beautiful looking game, I'm loving the menu and the weapons and upgrades, colour of outfits... just amazing... I'd write more but going back in game 8^)

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2015, 08:56 PM
So far so good, I suppose. Angry as hell about the blood effects, but I guess I'm the only one who cares lol.

Performance is bad right now, but consistently bad, luckily, unlike Unity which had massive stuttering issues. It is very strange that they released a driver, but no patch for the PC version. Hopefully that will drop within the next day or so, along with hopefully other fixes for all versions

The only bugs I've come across so far are sound/aniamtions/graphics related

1.There is an annoying sound effect that plays whenever you do a knife headshot. It's like a sound effect that signals sound "detection" by a guard. Jesus, it annoys me so much, why can't we just turn it off? I don't think it is even supposed to occur in this scenario.
2.No blood effects when doing a knife headshot
3.Sometimes there is no gunshot effect (smoke, flash) when shooting a pistol
4.Chimney Smoke textures disappear when player gets close to them
5.Cloth physics glitching out-looks as if locked to 30 fps-stuttering

Grievances

HUD customization is even worse than Unity, which is saying something. There are no individual settings to tweak, no way to get rid of tutorial prompts for free running, descending, or leaps of faith, no way to get rid of achievement in progress icons, no way to remove enemy level icons without removing their health bar....it is just absurd.

RVSage
11-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Although I like the port My honest feedback to Ubi on one thing

Stop using Gameworks stuff in the games (maybe keep HBAO+) does not impact performance much. Cut PCSS and TXAA( out. They are clearly performance eaters. If you remove those two, it is an excellent port. But people go off trying something that is clearly bad for any game. (PCSS is horrible across games, so is TXAA and MSAA. most games safetly include only FXAA and SMAA these days)

Despite doing a good job with the port , you guys won;t be recognized for it

My Main feedback: Stop using NVIDIA nonsense, it never was good.

So far so good, I suppose. Angry as hell about the blood effects, but I guess I'm the only one who cares lol.

Performance is bad right now, but consistently bad, luckily, unlike Unity which had massive stuttering issues. It is very strange that they released a driver, but no patch for the PC version. Hopefully that will drop within the next day or so, along with hopefully other fixes for all versions

The only bugs I've come across so far are sound/aniamtions/graphics related

1.There is an annoying sound effect that plays whenever you do a knife headshot. It's like a sound effect that signals sound "detection" by a guard. Jesus, it annoys me so much, why can't we just turn it off?
2.No blood effects when doing a knife headshot
3.Sometimes there is no gunshot effect (smoke, flash) when shooting a pistol
4.Chimney Smoke textures disappear when player gets close to them
5.Cloth physics glitching out-looks as if locked to 30 fps-stuttering

If you are using PCSS, try turning it down high and get to 60. I get consistent 60 with FXAA and high shadows

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Although I like the port My honest feedback to Ubi on one thing

Stop using Gameworks stuff in the games (maybe keep HBAO+) does not impact performance much. Cut PCSS and TXAA( out. They are clearly performance eaters. If you remove those two, it is an excellent port. But people go off trying something that is clearly bad for any game. (PCSS is horrible across games, so is TXAA and MSAA. most games safetly include only FXAA and SMAA these days)

Despite doing a good job with the port , you guys won;t be recognized for it

My Main feedback: Stop using NVIDIA nonsense, it never was good.

Oh hell no, I disagree to the infinite power. I love my HBAO and PCSS in games. TXAA is actually quite efficient in Syndicate. And it is always up to the player weather or not they use it.

Also, HBAO is incredibly performance costly, lol. Compared to SSAO it definitely eats several frames.

RVSage
11-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Oh hell no, I disagree to the infinite power. I love my HBAO and PCSS in games. TXAA is actually quite efficient in Syndicate. And it is always up to the player weather or not they use it.

Also, HBAO is incredibly performance costly, lol. Compared to SSAO it definitely eats several frames.

but HBAO+ is never as bad as PCSS or TXAA. To be honest both FXAA and TXAA blur the image but FXAA costs far less. PCSS as I said earlier does look beautiful, but is not worth performance loss. stable 60fps can be achieved on this game without NVIDIA technologies. I never consider it part of maxing out anyway.

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2015, 09:12 PM
but HBAO+ is never as bad as PCSS or TXAA. To be honest both FXAA and TXAA blur the image but FXAA costs far less. PCSS as I said earlier does look beautiful, but is not worth performance loss. stable 60fps can be achieved on this game without NVIDIA technologies. I never consider it part of maxing out anyway.

All up to personal opinion. I think PCSS is totally worth the performance. And FXAA looks like crap when just used by itself. In my opinion.

D.I.D.
11-19-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm only a little way into the story, because it's become "Evie Liberates London" for me. As soon as I could swap to Evie and go into Free Roam, that's what I've been doing.

I love the way you can just ignore the map and stumble into things to do. You see a building, you think, "Hmm, who owns this? Aha, it's Templars". The XP bonus is a great way of encouraging you not to go in and just fight everyone. I liked the way Unity forced us to peel the layers of defence and remove snipers first, and Syndicate seems to do this even better. The buildings appear to have given the designers a better way to set up a good arrangement of enemies.

I love the points where you encounter a gang boss early. Octavia (Southwark boss, I think?) seemed incredibly hard to stop because of her entourage, but I was determined not to let her get away. After failing a couple of times in dying in combat, I hopped the wall and chased her from the other side, hopped up onto it again once we were beyond her crew, and then Air Assassinated her. So satisfying.

It's taking me much longer to do everything because I feel so strongly that I'm in London, and in real life I walk in London, so it doesn't feel slow to me. That's a testament to the skill of the AC team on this. I've never spent so little time on the roofs; I don't want to miss anything, and I like being at ground level so much. The NPCs are better than ever, and I love their conversations, especially the lovers. The man who pretends his arm is cramped as an excuse to put his arm around his sweetheart, the woman who chastises her man for reaching out to touch her amorously after he'd just coughed noisily into his hand.

I've avoided picking up crates until I built enough skill points to buy both Scavenger abilities, since I assume crafting is going to become quite important soon.

Whoever worked on the controller vibration is an unsung hero, too. You're never far from some kind of machinery or a vehicle that's making the earth tremble, and there's so much of that atmosphere and sense of distance/proximity being transmitted to your brain via the controller.

Graphics settings are mysterious. I'm keeping an FPS clock up from the Nvidia control panel to try and get the best results, and weirdly some of the more sophisticated effects are a bit lighter on resources than the ones that are presented as the low defaults. TXAA x2 + FXAA actually boosted my FPS over simple FXAA alone, for example. I've been creeping settings up one by one in increments to see what happens, and it's surprising how few are a problem. Shadows are oddly hungry, so I've turned those down.

Now back to it!

All up to personal opinion. I think PCSS is totally worth the performance. And FXAA looks like crap when just used by itself. In my opinion.

Soft Shadows are great for screenshots, but I don't find they add a great deal when I'm just enjoying the game, but they're certainly pretty. Agree 100% about FXAA - combined AA gels so much better!

RVSage
11-19-2015, 10:33 PM

Agree it is personal choice, but if feel removing them will help the community as a whole, and also help Ubi's image. It is after all a NVIDIA thing, to deride AMD. Gameworks never runs well on AMD cards and not in NVIDIA cards too. hairworks in witcher 3 is hugeee killer even today. It would help the PC community gauge ports better. Again this is how I feel about it

wichking
11-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Game is great but only thing which sux and needs improvement is the silly Ai. guards are always dumb. when they see dead bodies they just chill and dont go alert mode

Wolfmeister1010
11-20-2015, 05:02 AM
In the PC trailer at 1:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7nCxYMNKhQ … there were some amazing blood effects..but they aren't in the game.

This is the first video game I have ever played where I have turned off the blood effects. They are just so horrid.

I would give ANYTHING to even have a choice to turn on those amazing nvidia trailer blood effects. ANYTHING. I'll pay the season pass thrice times over, I mean it.

Damn, I was looking forward to that aspect so much; the blood effects were the only thing that concerned me about the game post release.

If any all powerful developers are listening...please, PLEASE consider adding in an option for the awesome particle-based blood effects seen in that trailer.I'm cashing in all my nonexistent favors

x___Luffy___x
11-20-2015, 05:25 AM
In the PC trailer at 1:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7nCxYMNKhQ … there were some amazing blood effects..but they aren't in the game.

This is the first video game I have ever played where I have turned off the blood effects. They are just so horrid.

I would give ANYTHING to even have a choice to turn on those amazing nvidia trailer blood effects. ANYTHING. I'll pay the season pass thrice times over, I mean it.

Damn, I was looking forward to that aspect so much; the blood effects were the only thing that concerned me about the game post release.

If any all powerful developers are listening...please, PLEASE consider adding in an option for the awesome particle-based blood effects seen in that trailer.I'm cashing in all my nonexistent favors

Thats sad to hear that its not there anymore. BTW can you or anyone else confirm if there is the hood toggle option in the game or not like shown in the nvidia trailer ?
I'm still downloading my game ( bcoz physical version delayed in my country to 24 nov, so had to buy digital version from origin ) so cant check yet and avoiding any gameplay till i play the game myself.
Thanks.

Wolfmeister1010
11-20-2015, 05:40 AM
Thats sad to hear that its not there anymore. BTW can you or anyone else confirm if there is the hood toggle option in the game or not like shown in the nvidia trailer ?
I'm still downloading my game ( bcoz physical version delayed in my country to 24 nov, so had to buy digital version from origin ) so cant check yet and avoiding any gameplay till i play the game myself.
Thanks.

There is no hood toggle as of now.

But somewhere in the back of y mind I am hoping that the hood toggle, as well as the blood fx, are gonna be added in a patch. The PC version has yet to have any sort of patch, so it is a possibility.

x___Luffy___x
11-20-2015, 06:35 AM
There is no hood toggle as of now.

But somewhere in the back of y mind I am hoping that the hood toggle, as well as the blood fx, are gonna be added in a patch. The PC version has yet to have any sort of patch, so it is a possibility.

ohk, thanks for the reply. Hoping they add it soon :)

GhostAssassinLT
11-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Well, it depends on what you mean by the hoodie toggle... if you mean having Jacob/Evie switching between hat and hood you can do that by going into/out of sneak mode (press A on your controller), if this is not what you mean then please disregard this entire post... :D

siralex1986
11-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Well, it depends on what you mean by the hoodie toggle... if you mean having Jacob/Evie switching between hat and hood you can do that by going into/out of sneak mode (press A on your controller), if this is not what you mean then please disregard this entire post... :D

He probably meant having the option to wear the hood instead of the top hat or whatever they're wearing during non stealth gameplay; basically having the assassins look like proper Assassin's Creed assassins.

More in general, I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics, which are a sensible step back from Unity; I feel more like playing AC:Liberation rather than a Unity sequel(in terms of development)...

RVSage
11-20-2015, 10:24 AM
He probably meant having the option to wear the hood instead of the top hat or whatever they're wearing during non stealth gameplay; basically having the assassins look like proper Assassin's Creed assassins.

More in general, I'm a bit disappointed by the graphics, which are a sensible step back from Unity; I feel more like playing AC:Liberation rather than a Unity sequel(in terms of development)...
The graphics on PC atleast seem the same to me. Different color palette and lighting system. That is the difference and liberation?? Please this game is clearly better than black flag

siralex1986
11-20-2015, 10:33 AM
The graphics on PC atleast seem the same to me. Different color palette and lighting system. That is the difference and liberaation?? Please this game is clearly better than black flag

Uhm, I probably explained myself wrong.

The game looks worse than Unity(which has been actually confirmed as a way to get better performance, since a more accurate optimization was apparently not an option), especially in close details or faces.
Unity had insane requirements and was heavy as f**k on performances, but geez it looked glorious.
Syndicate looks better than Black Flag, sure, but why on Earth wouldn't it? I mean, of course it does! Though, I was expecting it to be at least on pair with Unity; that said, if there's no other way to get decent performance on these games, I suppose I'm fine with a worse graphic.

What I meant with the Liberation comparison is that the game feels a lot like a cartoon, with a too fast combat and cartoon graphics(again, when you look at the small details, which are the difference between a good looking game and a great one); Unity was much more realistic to me(well, for an AC game at least), the enviroment, the moves, the faces, everything felt real and possible.
Here? Not so far...

Maybe it's also because I played Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 before this, which both have an insane level of details and realistic stuff.

RVSage
11-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Uhm, I probably explained myself wrong.

The game looks worse than Unity(which has been actually confirmed as a way to get better performance, since a more accurate optimization was apparently not an option), especially in close details or faces.
Unity had insane requirements and was heavy as f**k on performances, but geez it looked glorious.
Syndicate looks better than Black Flag, sure, but why on Earth wouldn't it? I mean, of course it does! Though, I was expecting it to be at least on pair with Unity; that said, if there's no other way to get decent performance on these games, I suppose I'm fine with a worse graphic.

What I meant with the Liberation comparison is that the game feels a lot like a cartoon, with a too fast combat and cartoon graphics(again, when you look at the small details, which are the difference between a good looking game and a great one); Unity was much more realistic to me(well, for an AC game at least), the enviroment, the moves, the faces, everything felt real and possible.
Here? Not so far...

Maybe it's also because I played Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 before this, which both have an insane level of details and realistic stuff.

Hmm some valid points. They have indeed downgraded some side character models and enemy faction models. Although to me Henry, Evie and Jacob still have great models.
And I will agree witcher 3 looks better, but not AK and AK I want to forget it for rocksteady, worst pc port this year and I really don't think it looks as good looking as syndicate either

siralex1986
11-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Hmm some valid points. They have indeed downgraded some side character models and enemy faction models. Although to me Henry, Evie and Jacob still have great models.
And I will agree witcher 3 looks better, but not AK and AK I want to forget it for rocksteady, worst pc port this year and I really don't think it looks as good looking as syndicate either

If you check and do a proper comparison you'll see that while the environment looks great, it still doesn't beat or get in pair with Unity's Paris.

AK was indeeed the worst port of the year, maybe of the last years, hell it was even way worst than Unity at launch; but still, once patched it looks great and the pg details are insane. If you play it at max details on everything you'll be quite shocked!

That said, I'm not saying I don't like Syndicate so far, I just feel uncomfortable with the combat system(loved Unity one) and I'm a bit disappointment by the graphics downgrade, but story and main pg are very interesting so I supopse that fills the gap!

RVSage
11-20-2015, 07:33 PM
If you check and do a proper comparison you'll see that while the environment looks great, it still doesn't beat or get in pair with Unity's Paris.

AK was indeeed the worst port of the year, maybe of the last years, hell it was even way worst than Unity at launch; but still, once patched it looks great and the pg details are insane. If you play it at max details on everything you'll be quite shocked!

That said, I'm not saying I don't like Syndicate so far, I just feel uncomfortable with the combat system(loved Unity one) and I'm a bit disappointment by the graphics downgrade, but story and main pg are very interesting so I supopse that fills the gap!

Hmm perhaps forced x16 Anisotropic filtering and High Quality texture filtering through the Nvidia Control Panel, will help you see my point ;). Agreed it is not good as Unity. Off open world games my graphic rating this year would be
1. Witcher 3
2. AC Syndicate
3. Arkham knight
4. MGSV
5. Fallout 4

@Wolfmeister1010 Agreed TXAA on this game is great, and it does not tank FPS that much, with pcss off, i still get 52-60fps easy.

siralex1986
11-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Hmm perhaps forced x16 Anisotropic filtering and High Quality texture filtering through the Nvidia Control Panel, will help you see my point ;). Agreed it is not good as Unity. Off open world games my graphic rating this year would be
1. Witcher 3
2. AC Syndicate
3. Arkham knight
4. MGSV
5. Fallout 4

@Wolfmeister1010 Agreed TXAA on this game is great, and it does not tank FPS that much, with pcss off, i still get 52-60fps easy.

Unfortunately I am a AMD Radeon R290 user, so the Nvidia panel doesn't belong here!

RVSage
11-20-2015, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately I am a AMD Radeon R290 user, so the Nvidia panel doesn't belong here!

Oops sorry, then. I personally am not a big fan of NVIDIA specifics. My recommendation for future though , go for NVIDIA cards in future. Because everything AMD works on NVIDIA, but not everything NVIDIA works on AMD. Even if this is bad , competition wise. NVIDIA cards right now offer the better experience. As a past AMD user, this is the bitter state of affairs currently

RVSage
11-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Finally done with main story on AC Syndicate on my PC :) Here comes a lengthy review :D

Yet another year, yet another game in a franchise I like. Is this better than last year's Unity, in every way yes

The Good

Likeable protagonists. Both of them are good in their own way. Good side characters, as well. Great voice acting
Very light story, aims to entertain rather than impress, not the stuff that aims for awards, but an ordinary enjoyable story set in a good time period, without the time period this story would not, have clicked
Finally some likeable side missions, after AC4, The Machine gun mission on the train not only had cutscenes, it took me back to Brotherhood Leonardo missions. Evie's hunt for the secrets of london was also nice.
The city of london is beautiful and from what I hear, really well recreated. Yet again , awesome work from Ubi world design team
Polished mechanics, kidnap and environment kills add some new types of ways to approach missions, The gang skill tree is also a good progression mechanic.
The music from Austin Wintory, right up there with Jesper Kyd's music for AC ezio triology and Brian Tyler's Black Flag. The sounds on trains, boats, carriages are also neatly done. Great work in the sound department.(Something I feel Unity lacked). Good music in any form of entertainment does add to the overall experience
The graphics is absolutely great. great detail on buildings, and the dynamic weather system is great
Modern day even if not playable, made very good progress story wise, the ending was good.
The WW1 sequence, with juno and Lydia was surprising, and had an alternate open world, this part was well done
The variety of activities NPCs indulge in enjoyable (cricket, football, juggling for instance), helped make the world believable

The Bad

Enemy AI is very dumb, One of the improvements that I can think of is, when a body is spotted in a place, the patrol in that place should be replaced with a stronger type of enemy and their patrol patterns should change. This alone makes stealth gameplay in missions way more rewarding, this could have been the case in atleast Evie missions
The similarity of NPC models, I have seen so many NPC's like Agnes McBean, I mean does she have so many twins???? Same applies to different types of enemies. I get of tired of saying that shaved head brute. Almost seems like Victorian Era had cloning mechanisms

The Ugly

Very sad that this exists, but it is what it is.

THAT ending mission . What were you folks thinking? I am not saying the story ending is bad. I am saying the way that final boss fight was designed was terri bad . Starrick hits , Jacob flies more than 20ft, meanwhile evie attacks, and vice versa happens , this happens not once , not twice atleast 4 times. It was so forced in the fight, we had no freedom like the wonderful assassination missions before that. It seemed to shame every other assassination mission in the game. To me that is the worst boss mission in AC history
Eventhough the side missions were good, the insistence and reliance on chests continues. I do not like it littered around the map. It is so boring. So is collecting the glictches. I would love to see chests gone in the next AC

Overall a good comeback for AC, but next years AC needs to one better for the franchise to gain back its acclaim. I really hope next year, the one bad year, one good year , trend does not continue, the series needs consecutive good games, to stay alive or a break (which is not going to happen, I know).

Here is hoping for a great 2016 game

Leaving you guys with some awesome screenshots I took in game.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/678/22803317879_f19f96af8a_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5793/22562349633_0aea260976_h.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/768/22777133727_bf397a753e_h.jpg

Assassin_M
11-22-2015, 06:31 AM
https://shaabanm.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/assassins-creed-syndicate-review/

I missed you, guis.

HDinHB
11-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Great review; well written and thorough. I agree with almost all of it.

Meowrynn
11-22-2015, 07:48 AM
This review is very detailed that doesn't bore the reader with its content. I've read it top to bottom. Splendid review! +1

I-Like-Pie45
11-22-2015, 08:05 AM
I give this review 7/10 ;);););););)

VestigialLlama4
11-22-2015, 08:30 AM
https://shaabanm.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/assassins-creed-syndicate-review/

I missed you, guis.

Totally agree about everything...see that can happen.

Syndicate was the first real AC game where I was actually rooting for the Templars, not because I disliked the heroes but because I genuinely found Starrick, Attaway and Roth compelling. I liked Jacob and Evie in general but the only thing they have going for them is "Better than Arno/Shay".

I actually thought the romance with Henry Green by being essentially a side thing and not a central focus was well done. Unity wanted Arno/Elise to be this epic love story but it didn't work, whereas Henry and Evie is this subdued office romance with no-real drama. They're nerds, they work together and they're kind of naive. Sure they would make a bland couple but then most couples are bland.

I despise the Rope Launcher with the fire of a thousand suns however.

xBEARw
11-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Lots of great points in this. It is nice reading a review such as this that doesn't attack and praise mindlessly. You have a well-versed opinion that states your disappointments, and things you find worth praising. Most points include both...example being what I wanted to point out specifically anyway:

Combat.

I feel the same as you about many of the animations of assassinating being overly flashy...and I feel that way quite often on most combat takedowns as well. There are so many, you, in theory, should not get bored of these animations...but out of the say 20 (made up number) animations, you might see 2 done over and over and see the other 18 seldom.

The on the move assassinating is painfully slow...and as an AC3 fan, like you mentioned, this feels wrong. Unity didn't seem as bad and lengthy as Syndicate, but in both, it is very noticeable.

So you point out this negative...but then you say the positives in the change...

The situational fighting can be very fun! The ring fighting is fun as well.

The combat overall is fairly fun...(but when comparing to AC3, and in my opinion the difficulty of Unity's combat....it feels lame and easy)

Yes, many see this as a stealth only game...and I am a stealth-genre fanatic...but stealth games feel more fun and refined when combat is an option...and increases replayability in playing stealth or loud...this is why MGS and Splinter Cell are so successful. They refined combat, refined stealth, and give the player the option to make the most out of their game and play how they like.

Thank you for a great read.

pacmanate
11-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I like dis review.

Also I was talking with Reno about Syndicate last night and one thing we both agreed on was Syndicate actually made use of the whole map. I'm almost 100% sure that the main story took us to every district a few times. This is something I felt lacked in Unity. There were a few districts hardly even touched which reminded me of the Frontier in AC3, so many beautiful places like Black Creek that weren't even part of the story.

More spoiler impressions below

I do wish they scrapped the level system for that boss fight against Starrick. That whole fight was a mess. Whilst I liked the interchange of Jacob fighting him, then Evie, the level system made this a chore; here's how. I was a level 10 by that point in the game, which meant 2-3 hits to Starrick and I was sent flying across the room, only to run back to him as a different protag and then repeat this 3-4 times. It wasn't fun at all. And another thing that baffles me about the fight is the weird slow motion QTE's where you and Starrick just look at each other and he swings his fist at you like a fat dude.

As for the Modern Day. I really hope they are setting us up for playing a 3rd person character again, more specifically Galina. In contrast to Shaun and Rebecca, she seems like a total badass. Reno thinks it was fan service to have her in since she has been on Initiates and in the comics, but I feel like its something more. At the end you see the Instruments of the First Will trying to make a First Civ using the shroud. I feel like this will be a conduit for Juno, to give her a physical form. I hope/doubt Ubisoft will continue to make us 1st person the MD when Juno gets a body and becomes more than an internet virus.

That said, Ubisoft games are normally released in "Sagas" based on engine. You have AC1-ACRevelations, AC3 - ACRogue and now AC Unity - ACSyndicate (+1 more game?). So with this I'm hoping for just one more European game due to reusing assets and then switching up time periods and locations to going way back into the past and exploring Egypt, Japan, India and also "rebooting" once again the Modern day.

I had this Idea I pitched to Reno which sort of combined his Idea that the Altair II was a headquarters hub in later games. You can freely roam the ship and talk to your crew, this being William, Rebecca, Shaun and whoever else. Then perhaps Shaun could give you Modern Day intel gathering missions and Rebecca giving you MD tech upgrade missions. These would be completely optional but flesh out a Modern Day story for Galina that runs in tandem with the main storyline and could take place in either linear sequences or in little sandboxes like at the start of Unity.

They already could have Galina's combat down. Keep it fist fighting like in Syndicate, just make it more acrobatic and free flowing.

Mr_Shade
11-22-2015, 11:44 AM
Some fine points there, as always :)

harsab
11-22-2015, 01:34 PM
I do wish they scrapped the level system for that boss fight against Starrick. That whole fight was a mess. Whilst I liked the interchange of Jacob fighting him, then Evie, the level system made this a chore; here's how. I was a level 10 by that point in the game, which meant 2-3 hits to Starrick and I was sent flying across the room, only to run back to him as a different protag and then repeat this 3-4 times. It wasn't fun at all. And another thing that baffles me about the fight is the weird slow motion QTE's where you and Starrick just look at each other and he swings his fist at you like a fat dude.

As for the Modern Day. I really hope they are setting us up for playing a 3rd person character again, more specifically Galina. In contrast to Shaun and Rebecca, she seems like a total badass. Reno thinks it was fan service to have her in since she has been on Initiates and in the comics, but I feel like its something more. At the end you see the Instruments of the First Will trying to make a First Civ using the shroud. I feel like this will be a conduit for Juno, to give her a physical form. I hope/doubt Ubisoft will continue to make us 1st person the MD when Juno gets a body and becomes more than an internet virus.

That said, Ubisoft games are normally released in "Sagas" based on engine. You have AC1-ACRevelations, AC3 - ACRogue and now AC Unity - ACSyndicate (+1 more game?). So with this I'm hoping for just one more European game due to reusing assets and then switching up time periods and locations to going way back into the past and exploring Egypt, Japan, India and also "rebooting" once again the Modern day.

I had this Idea I pitched to Reno which sort of combined his Idea that the Altair II was a headquarters hub in later games. You can freely roam the ship and talk to your crew, this being William, Rebecca, Shaun and whoever else. Then perhaps Shaun could give you Modern Day intel gathering missions and Rebecca giving you MD tech upgrade missions. These would be completely optional but flesh out a Modern Day story for Galina that runs in tandem with the main storyline and could take place in either linear sequences or in little sandboxes like at the start of Unity.

They already could have Galina's combat down. Keep it fist fighting like in Syndicate, just make it more acrobatic and free flowing.

Spoiler:

i really like the idea of an explorable ship. That could really work.

Shahkulu101
11-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Great review.

M doing what M does ;)

Megas_Doux
11-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Really looking forward to read this. I'll have to wait some weeks, though. Meanwhile, well I'm loving the game so far; the city is great and its atmosphere are breathtaking, pretty solid performance as well.

Sushiglutton
11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Read this yesterday. Excellent review (well I haven't played the game, but the review fits all AC games lol).

Viva Inmersión!!

Sushiglutton
11-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Nice to see the reviews from forumers pouring in :). Great read!

phoenix-force411
11-22-2015, 05:56 PM
AC has always had crappy boss fights. The combat system just isn't designed for a good one on one fight. I didn't mind it very much. I think the best, even if not the best, boss fight was Assassin's Creed.

Ntin0s7
11-22-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm a big fan of the assassin's creed series but I'm not sure if I should buy assassin's creed syndicate. I'm one of those people who think that the story is the most important thing in a video game so how's syndicate's story? I personally LOVED AC2 and Brotherhood, didn't play revelations(yet)didn't finish ac4 because I got bored of the pirate stuff, liked ac1 and thought that ac3 was okay (Connor was pretty boring) and ac unity was mediocre(I didn't really enjoy the story) Now, I've watched all of the assassin's creed syndicate's trailers multiple times and it seems very promising. I really enjoy the whole "let's take back London with my gang" story and Jacob seems like such an interesting and fun character. I cant seem to trust the trailers because Unity's trailers were all about French revolution and you just didn't feel like being part of the revolution in the game. I've heard that Syndicate's story is boring but I really want to like this game because Jacob seems like such a nice character and I want to restore my faith in Ubisoft. So, can you please tell me your opinions on the story without any spoilers?

RaggedTyper
11-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Ok, to cut a long story short: all the characters are great but their relationship and personal arcs are poorly developed. The story itself is quite rushed. So yes, the characters are great but as for the development and pacing of the story... it serves as further proof that Ubisoft have lost their touch when it comes to telling a meaty story. And, as for the MD, if you're a fan of it prepared to be disappointed - it's cut scene based only.

D.I.D.
I haven't finished yet (still in Sequence 5, having concentrated on liberating London, completing fights/races/cargo missions, finding all collectibles etc.

I love it so far, and there's so much great craft in this. It's sad to hear we have another terrible end boss. If it's even worse than the Unity boss fight, it must be very bad indeed. If they can't make this work, I'd rather not have the boss be a souped-up character at all. I don't care if the assassination is simple, if the mission leading to it is good or challenging. You could give me a hall with 200 enemies to fight through to get to Starrick, or a great stealth mission where I have to infiltrate some huge building without raising an alarm, but the Templar Grand Master does not necessarily have to go Megastarrick for the finale.

I was glad there were fewer chests this time. It's nice that the important chests were clearly marked in yellow, so if you only wanted items and upgrades than you could just buy the maps. The riddles were kind of pointless on the music box locations, but I did like the way the images were made. There was just enough information in each one for me to find the location by studying background features, relative positions etc. Only a few were really difficult - I got the Covent Garden one last because it was indoors and the only odd architectural feature was the iron pillar work, suggesting a station. However, it's a pity that after putting in all that effort, the costume is horrible! Evie becomes a walking Animus glitch, with horizontal scan lines like a broken TV. I'll never use it.

The reversing horse carriages? Yes they did, and do!

https://youtu.be/eVbdIB_YWHM

Even if that hadn't been the case, you have to have reversing vehicles really. I got into some extreme snarl-ups where an inability to reverse would have been fatal.

I agree about the music! The original work is lovely, and the reworks of "Abide With Me" are superb.

The big weak point for me is the script. The actors and the graphics artists make the overall presentation standard very high, which disguises the script to an extent. There's a strange mixture of wonderful stuff you can overhear among NPCs and then the weirdest, most awkward crap coming out of the mouths of main characters. I was expecting something like Brotherhood - deliberate, theatrical camp, like a Victorian melodrama - but it's accidentally bad, not intentionally bad with a wink.

On region-specific detail: It's a pity that about 20% of the voices are clearly North Americans, but I expect this has something to do with it being a Canadian production (perhaps a quota to include [x]% Canadian VAs?). Hint to North Americans: you think non-posh South East English accents pronounce "talk" as "tock", "walk" as "wock". We do not, and things like that stick out like a sore thumb. Some of these VAs are absurdly off the mark, and apparently there was nobody able to tell them they were wrong. Again, the script had incorrect use of basic words and phrases, and not just for the Londoners. Agnes would never have said "Camden LOCH"; "Loch" does not mean "lock", it means "lake".

BananaBlighter
The nice thing about Syndicate's story is that the trailers pretty much sum up everything it's about, and while it is very simplistic, if you like what you've seen, you shouldn't be disappointed. While the plot is nothing special, the characters are great and there is a very humourous and more playful tone to the story, whether you find that a good thing or not.

LoyalACFan
11-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Nice points as always, M. I really only disagree with two things you mentioned; your praise for the rope launcher (yeah it actually is a useful tool but I just can't get over how unrealistic and stupid it is; AC already hit its goofiness quota with the leap of faith) and Sequence 8 (I honestly thought it was really poorly done, very rushed with a ton of elements lifted wholesale from other stories, specifically that of the Joker as you mentioned, and also Bill the Butcher as VestigialLlama pointed out in another thread; it felt like kind of a ripoff of themes that have been done better elsewhere).

I like dis review.

Also I was talking with Reno about Syndicate last night and one thing we both agreed on was Syndicate actually made use of the whole map. I'm almost 100% sure that the main story took us to every district a few times. This is something I felt lacked in Unity. There were a few districts hardly even touched which reminded me of the Frontier in AC3, so many beautiful places like Black Creek that weren't even part of the story.

More spoiler impressions below

I really doubt Galina is our new MD protagonist, namely because she's the "psycho" of the group. Stories very rarely have protagonists that are so "crazy" (Trevor Philips in GTA being an exception but even there he wasn't really the protagonist of the story).

Lothric_42
11-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Ok, to cut a long story short: all the characters are great but their relationship and personal arcs are poorly developed. The story itself is quite rushed. So yes, the characters are great but as for the development and pacing of the story... it serves as further proof that Ubisoft have lost their touch when it comes to telling a meaty story. And, as for the MD, if you're a fan of it prepared to be disappointed - it's cut scene based only.

I Agree., Story is Dissapointing, Ending is also very bad imo. I Dont like AC:Syndicate's story.

RVSage
11-22-2015, 10:15 PM
The reversing horse carriages? Yes they did, and do!

https://youtu.be/eVbdIB_YWHM

wowwww.... then bad on my part , that is really possible then. Should edit first post

crusader_prophet
11-22-2015, 11:01 PM
The Good

Agree mostly here except - (i) the weather dynamics was much better in AC III, AC:IV in my opinion, (ii) music is great but not AC type or my style for an AC game, too classical for my taste (iii) Paris felt more alive to me than London

The Bad
The Ugly

No arguments here. To the point and you nailed it.

I really hope next year, the one bad year, one good year , trend does not continue, the series needs consecutive good games, to stay alive or a break (which is not going to happen, I know).

Here is hoping for a great 2016 game

Disagree. I don't want a game in 2016. Let's pray for a game which will be universally acclaimed and can be held as an example of masterpiece to everyone entering the industry point forward.

Overall, great review (even though we have disagreed in the past).

RVSage
11-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Disagree. I don't want a game in 2016. Let's pray for a game which will be universally acclaimed and can be held as an example of masterpiece to everyone entering the industry point forward.

Overall, great review (even though we have disagreed in the past).

Let's face it, we both know there is no way a game is not coming in 2016. With the movie releasing, they would probably trying to do something big(like they tried in Unity, but failed in execution).
At this point , the best thing we can hope for now is a well executed game in 2016. I am not saying this is a good thing, but one can hope it turns out for the better, With Ashraf Ismail(game director AC4) probably heading the project, I have some hope.

crusader_prophet
11-23-2015, 01:46 AM
Let's face it, we both know there is no way a game is not coming in 2016. With the movie releasing, they would probably trying to do something big(like they tried in Unity, but failed in execution).
At this point , the best thing we can hope for now is a well executed game in 2016. I am not saying this is a good thing, but one can hope it turns out for the better, With Ashraf Ismail(game director AC4) probably heading the project, I have some hope.

Yeah that was the unsaid part of my post, we will have a game regardless. And I echo your wishes and hopes as well, Let's hope it is a well executed game, and I think Ashraf is very talented at what he does. So here's to our hopes for the highest point yet in the franchise's history. Cheers Brother!

jellejackhammer
11-23-2015, 02:20 AM
Very good review well done!and regarding the next ac,i Also think 2016 Will have it.with the movie comming that year we might see
A good MD aswell.however i hope it's not a tie in game though.can already see spain being the setting with the assassin from the movie or relative ...

RVSage
11-23-2015, 08:21 AM
2016 is a big AC year. Looking forward to second half of 2016, already

RVSage
11-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Very well written M, The detail you get into is always great :)

jazzhso
11-29-2015, 06:36 PM
I am definitely not a hard core player just an average player that pretty much plays daily. I have all the A/C games and they are all pretty much flawless well except Unity at the release. Each game the graphics get better and now Syndicate is amazing I am at Seq 4 23% and have not had glitch one well maybe a couple crashes. UBI goes the extra mile to develop a totally awesome game from the development of life like characters, story line, graphics, smoothness, and the menu layout is always so easy to use especially in Syndicate. My fav A/C was Black Flag but I am far from completion on Syndicate and that right now is pulling a very very close 2nd

UbiFancy
11-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback, jazzhso! Glad to hear you're enjoying Syndicate so far :)

Sesheenku
11-30-2015, 12:13 AM
I'll give them credit for bringing back mission structure that aren't terrible and hand holdy.

The story is a bit lackluster so far, if it wasn't so pretty and the animations weren't so hypnotizing to watch I wouldn't have the emotional motivation to go through it.

The game play however is the best it's been in a while.

strigoi1958
11-30-2015, 01:12 AM
Hi Jazzhso :) (top top man saved me so many times in R6 siege beta and in 48 hours we'll be breaching doors in game.) Yes Unity was amazing for me and if it hadn't had a few teething problems... which I never noticed, it would (and should) have won loads of awards. Syndicate has definitely moved forward and is so much fun to play.

Riffnugget
12-31-2015, 09:12 AM
First off I'll say I am a loyal Assassins Creed fan and a dedicated PC gamer. I have also completed every Assassin's Creed game to date on PC. This is my personal opinion, being very picky, and coming from the perspective of a long time Assassins Creed fan;

PORT WISE
I can say that it runs MUCH better than AC Unity does. I have a GTX 780 ti and everything is perfectly smooth with all settings maxed out (at least 60+ fps). I would get low fps on AC Unity no matter what graphics options I used.

For the first time in an AC game I feel Ubisoft has actually put forth effort with regard to the PC port (Unlike every other developer, I'm looking at you, Bethesda). Unfortunately these days gaming industry is more aimed at consoles. However they have actually removed mouse lag/mouse acceleration so navigating menus, moving camera around etc is more responsive. AC Unity was a headache to navigate around. Not surprising as they received ALOT of backfire from AC Unity last year.

The user interface could be toned down a bit. It has definitely been improved since AC Unity however there are some things that are just not needed/should be implemented in a different way. For example the detection ring around the character, enemy levels above their head etc.

GAMEPLAY WISE
Pretty much the same as any other Assassin's Creed game. Small improvements are made with regard to navigation, combat and stealth. The rope launcher feels like its needed as the streets are wider. Combat feels more responsive and fast paced. However it still feels like a constant 'click fest'. Stealth is made more simple with a simpler cover system. HOWEVER I believe the enemy detection system requires an overhaul. Silently kidnap an enemy, and suddenly 10 enemy carriages appear from nowhere and chase you down. Same with killing an enemy via a ranged weapon. Every enemy in the area is suddenly aware of your presence.
With regard to side content, I honestly believe they should stop adding in 'stuff to do for the sake of stuff to do'. There are alot of icons on the map and most if not all of these activites require you to 'kill/kidnap this enemy'. I wish they'd bring back old school Assassination contracts.

STORY WISE (THE IMPORTANT PART) **SPOILERS**
First of all I can say that I believe Jacob and Evie were not introduced very well. Start up a new game and you're all of a sudden assassinating enemies as Jacob. We don't know where he's from or what situation he's in. Its hard to describe.
I feel I do not always agree with the motives and feelings of the protagonists. Yes, they are freeing slaves, liberating London etc but I think it takes more than that to make you want to progress further.

You need to feel the emotions the protagonist is feeling. These characters have no motivation at all other than simply 'going after the bad guy because he is bad', which is lazy character development. Ezio, Edward and even Connor were perfect examples. They weren't simply 'going after the bad guy', they had realistic goals/motives. As much as Jacob and Evie are 'likeable' characters, there is simply no character development, and their stories are rather abruptly ended.

At the very start of the game we are introduced to the big bad guy, Crawford Starrick, that is trying to control London and 'must be killed'. So without hesitation Jacob and Evie go after him and eventually kill him. They are thanked by the queen and the game ends. WTF? No epic plot twist or cliffhangers? Come on Ubisoft, this is the most boring, unexciting and predictable story yet. As much as I hate to say it, but even AC Unity had a more exciting story. I was playing through the game, waiting for a turn or twist in the plot to come along and slap me in the face, like the older Assassins Creeds have done in the past. Unfortunately this bland 'story' seems to have been written by a 5 year old child.
There are characters that COULD have been interesting/memorable like Henry Green, but unfortunately only have a few lines of dialogue.

I felt Unity's story was very rushed, as if a lot of content was missing. Unfortunately I feel the same way this year with Syndicate.

Once again I believe the modern day story is lacking. You can tell that Ubisoft is simply trying to appeal to a wider audience by almost ditching the modern day story. On a positive note, I am glad they decided to include Juno in the storyline this time. But they still really need to step up their game in regard to the modern day story. Give us a character to control, please don't throw these 5 minute cutscenes at us.

BOTTOM LINE
I do not feel like an Assassin anymore. Instead I feel more like a gang leader or a street thug in a 'beat em up' game, which I think is bad. In my opinion, Ubisoft needs to stop and think to themselves 'Okay, what does being an assassin actually mean?'. Assassins are supposed to hide from the general public. They are a SHADOW ORGANIZATION. Instead we are starting gang wars right in the open street.
Assassins are supposed to be feared. Every enemy treats you like they are not scared at all. Taunting/intimidating you as you walk by. Remember that time in AC2 when you killed Uberto Alberti in open public? Everyone was shocked. Assassinations need to be like that.
Assassins are also supposed to be a 'brotherhood'. Where were all the other assassins in London? I feel the city and environment is not believable/realistic enough as the only other assassin we met was Henry Green.

This is a great Assassins Creed game and I recommend it. Unfortunately, because its one of Ubisoft's best selling franchises, they feel the need to release annually which results in similar recycled content each year. Ubisoft really needs to go back to the 'core' of the franchise and make an effort to appeal to long time fans, NOT just always 'casual gamers' every year.

Thank you for taking the time to read. I just need to get this out of my system. I am not trying to 'hate' or 'troll', I'm just a fan trying to express how I feel about this year's AC.

P.S
Has anyone else noticed in Assassin Intel 6 where Bishop says 'To any Initiates reading this, thankyou for your service. For your own safety we will not be contacting you for the forseeable future'
I might be a bit optimistic here, but could that mean no more 'Helix' or 'Initiate' rubbish after this?
Could that mean we will actually control a character in 3rd person in modern day in the next game?

Fieldy8243
12-31-2015, 10:02 AM
I did notice that. I also noticed that the other pieces of intel leading up to that, started to develop modern day characters. Hopefully this is some foreshadowing of some sort..

strigoi1958
12-31-2015, 11:56 AM
You have to realise that the game is made for many... it has to have core gameplay features to remain an AC game and it has to evolve to remain fresh... so it is tricky to change the right amount and keep everyone happy.
Some complained about combat in Unity and now that has changed and some are happy, it is liked less by others (including you) but that may change next time.

I've never had 10 carriages chase me just 3 and I find an hallucinogenic dart in their horse gets rid of them quickly or I ram them or shoot the driver... but as I have upgraded my rooks completely there seems less enemy carriages about now, although the carriage chases are probably my least liked moments of the game (after all the modern day interruptions).

Killing enemies with ranged weapons ? I kill them with a knife to the head all the time and it doesn't cause too much alarm, just a small investigation of the body and a quick look around.... unless you mean a pistol shot and I would expect the noise to attract people.

killing icons are assassination contracts but the kidnap is part of the freshening the game up... it is just something new. If it gets a good feedback it will be kept in and if not it will get replaced.

Storywise. I'm not overly bothered by story I like to play not watch cutscenes so the MD is annoying to me. The game starts off straight into action which I like... nowadays a lot of books and films start in the middle (usually at an action part to grip the audience) and then shows the beginning in flashbacks, so I guess that is normal. I don't feel I need to know about Jacob and Evie growing up or their past as they are both so young anyway.

Character development is a bit difficult because the game is set in such a short time span... it is like a chapter than a book. You cannot compare it to previous characters because we saw them over a much longer period of time, Ezio we saw from youth to old age and death... the Fryes are just a few months.

Side content is not for everyone (like MD for me) but if we take out things individuals do not like, there wouldn't be much game left. Some like side missions, the Unity murder mysteries were very well liked. We cannot say bring back what I like but get rid of what others like... that's unfair, Ubi give us the feedback option after every mission so it can be voted down or up.

Characters well, there is Duleep Singh, Karl Marx, Alexander Graham Bell, Diickens and Darwin, Florence Nightingale, Jack the Ripper, Starrick, Roth, Twopenny, Thorne and Attaway plus Queen Vic so there are plenty of characters in such a short time.

Are Assassins supposed to be a shadow organisation or are they supposed to be well known and identifiable and feared.... they cannot be both it doesn't make sense.

No offence intended your post started well but as soon I saw the ... (blame a yearly cycle, talk about "core" players as though they are special and ignore "casual players" (other buyers are not important) it became another blinkered review because it does not have the MD.

I'd rather you had just written.... AC Syndicate was good but I would like to have a playable MD as it would make the game more enjoyable for me and some others.

bustin-ya
12-31-2015, 05:34 PM
I agree with Riff......This game should have been call Assassin's creed carriage racer/ treasure hunter/ boxer.
I made it 50 % through unity and 70 % through this one before i became bored and uninstalled the game. Rarely did i feel like an assassin.

Hate to say it but the last two installments of this game has left a really bad taste for me to continue with this franchise much longer.
Putting a guy in an arm bar and trying to walk him through the back streets doesn't ring assassin to me at all.

I think a lot of us would really like more assassinating in this game. The missions where we did, those were fun, but much too little of it.
And the treasure chests, geeze put a cap on those plz. And like Riff i really liked the game until these last two.

Aslo after the third patch (or last whichever it was) my game just started to become unplayable. Between the glitchs and the non responsiveness to my comands.
Not sure why?, the first half of the game it ran great (660 ti) 8core processor.

Not trying to bash either but just giving my prospective on the game as i see it. (for what it's worth).

peace Y

Frag_Maniac
01-01-2016, 12:06 AM
For me, it started out as a mixed bag of fun and new things, with tediously lengthy fist brawling before upgrading. In the end it was a combination of performance issues, too easy syncing, and becoming too repetitive in a boring way that made me shelve it after finishing the story and getting all but 6 of the collectibles.

To give you an idea, I've gone back to going for completion in MGSV, a game that many say is actually way more repetitive. It's all about what kind of repetition though, and TPP's is WAY better. Plus there's just no comparison in performance and overall polish. TPP and GZ never look like their making my PC suffer major artifacting.

The worst of it for me on performance was extremely bad flickering of mostly large triangular slivers of sky textures, which I also experienced in Far Cry 3. And that is not just an AMD GPU thing, I've seen someone show something very similar in indoor scenes using an Nvidia GPU, and it was easily a powerful enough one to run the game.

Ubi's main problem is always on the tech end, not the creative end. They're far too busy cranking out cash grab releases to care to put the time in it takes to polish these more graphically intense titles properly. If they can't get that through their heads, they need to reserve AnvilNext for games like AC IV and Rogue, because it can't handle this kind of abuse.

strigoi1958
01-01-2016, 02:13 PM
it comes down to personal choice... most people who like md pretty much ignore most good parts of the latest games because there is a slight disappointment that they cannot play as a "desmond" type character.

I judge each game on its own merit. I enjoy the bits I like and accept there are parts that others want and I either complete them or leave them.
If Ubi made a game completely to my personal taste it probably would sell less than 1000 units :) I know some like MD but just because I think it is silly, disruptive to the gameplay doesn't mean I say get rid of it because I know it is there for others. Just as others enjoy lots of collectibles.

As I said personal choice. :)

Frag_Maniac
01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
The fact that it's VR done through an Animus (or Helix now) was what first intrigued me most about the first game, but it was largely because I had no idea that was part of the story until I saw it in game. The modern day gameplay never intrigued me much though. Maybe it's because they downplayed it to make the history part front and center, but to me, that's what AC has always been about.

Riffnugget
01-02-2016, 01:16 AM
While I do understand that the game has to be 'made for many', my main problem with the game was the story. I'm confident most will agree that it felt just like Unity's story, rushed, rather short, and extremely predictable.
Yes, they are trying to accomodate for everyone not just the fans, but surely they could have put more effort into the game storywise.

For example heres a comparison of each games endings;
AC1: Ending was awesome, Al Mualim twist and modern day cliffhanger
AC2: AMAZING wtf Minerva cliffhanger ending
ACB: Twist with Lucy and cliffhanger
ACR: Jupiter's explanation and Ezio's ending
AC3: Awesome twist early on with Haytham, and huge twist and cliffhanger about Juno
ACIV: Edward's sad emotional ending, and modern day twist with 'John' turning out to be a Sage

AC Unity: Arno ends up killing bad guy, Germain (we all saw that coming). Boring 'modern day', with no development. Uh.. what? Thats it?
AC Syndicate: Jacob and Evie kill bad guy, Starrick (predictable). Slight modern day cliffhanger about the precursor clones, but we only get a few minutes of modern day cutscenes.

Seriously what happened with Unity and Syndicate? Every game had an amazing story up to these 2 games.
Whats going on, Ubisoft?

strigoi1958
01-02-2016, 01:14 PM
I think Frag has summed it up perfectly... for a lot of the buyers it is all about the historical setting. I want to play in the VR part of the game... the MD section and the 1st CIV sections are parts I'd love to skip but I wouldn't want my personal choice to exclude others who have come to enjoy AC by immersing themselves in those parts. I get the feeling that in the future there will be a big twist and either a separate game or an almost MD/ 1st CIV game will appear allowing those who love that part to feel more appreciated. Although to me it will just be a watch dogs/ gta v type game and not an AC game but I feel that is going to happen.
Personally I have always loved the work that has gone into making the past come to life and adapting to each setting, each game and even the style of each assassin and as long as they are key points I'm happy. :)

DazKRaptorSquad
01-04-2016, 01:01 AM
I agree with Riff......This game should have been call Assassin's creed carriage racer/ treasure hunter/ boxer.
I made it 50 % through unity and 70 % through this one before i became bored and uninstalled the game. Rarely did i feel like an assassin.

Hate to say it but the last two installments of this game has left a really bad taste for me to continue with this franchise much longer.
Putting a guy in an arm bar and trying to walk him through the back streets doesn't ring assassin to me at all.

I think a lot of us would really like more assassinating in this game. The missions where we did, those were fun, but much too little of it.
And the treasure chests, geeze put a cap on those plz. And like Riff i really liked the game until these last two.

Aslo after the third patch (or last whichever it was) my game just started to become unplayable. Between the glitchs and the non responsiveness to my comands.
Not sure why?, the first half of the game it ran great (660 ti) 8core processor.

Not trying to bash either but just giving my prospective on the game as i see it. (for what it's worth).

peace Y

I prefer to call it Assassins Creed Mario Kart due to the ridiculous amount of Carriage chasers and yes I have literally been taken out by 3 fire trucks coming from 3 different directions in one mission.

It can also be known as Assassins Creed Mortal Kombat for the new combat style.

There are just too many random events and it feels like the dev's have intentionally tampered with control sensitivity when you are in combat or on a mission compared to regular one off fights or travelling around. I am currently replaying AC3 and for me it is such a nice change to the city scapes of Paris and London, QTE's and all ;-).

What really stood out though is that in the first timed riding event was how obvious it became that the controls had been adjusted specifically for this mission. The horse was nigh on impossible to control all of a sudden, when I got hit and fell down, the game seemed to deliberately stop me getting up for at least 5 seconds (there was a timer so I could see the time taken) when normally Connor just rolls and gets up. When I tried to get on the hore again, it would trot just out of mounting reach for about ten attempts which just seemed aimed at running down the clock again.

Then what dawned on me was that this seems to happen all the time in Syndicate. Everytime you enter a mission the controls seemed to become much looser making it far more difficult to control the character. My biggest frustrations in game are when you know what to do and how to do it with the KB&M but then some random thing happens and ruins sometimes 30 minutes of effort.

Anyway sorry for the rant but what has defined the last two titles for me is the games are overly frustrating due to gameplay (chase this, chase that, race this race that, fight one wave, two waves, three waves hey let's throw in a fourth one) and gameplay mechanics which have detracted from stories that also weren't very interesting.

DazKRaptorSquad
01-04-2016, 01:21 AM
The fact that it's VR done through an Animus (or Helix now) was what first intrigued me most about the first game, but it was largely because I had no idea that was part of the story until I saw it in game. The modern day gameplay never intrigued me much though. Maybe it's because they downplayed it to make the history part front and center, but to me, that's what AC has always been about.

This was the case for me too. I started at AC3 then went back and played the earlier titles because of both aspects and I loved they crazy passion with which Edward quested for the Observatory.

legendvinu
01-04-2016, 12:53 PM
DID SOMEONE MISS ME?!!! Once again wow Boom it's a very big game it is awesome it has various little details it took me 20 days almost a month to complete the main story game(100 per sync) as of the second part Lydia fray hope the spellings are correct ,going trough a portal to play a game it's a nice idea I Thank Ubisoft for making such a awesome game I thought there will be a great modern day stuff but at the end game wow it just spooked me up Juno wow reviving with POE wow nice story.Rooks i din't feel that they were there I felt like sour was missing helping clinkers then the big gang called rooks I felt like some punch was missing in it was not like Brotherhood. I felt happy while using them in Brotherhood at least in that fight it had like kill the target with the brotherhood assassin. I dint feel like it was my gang and Mr. Mac said the other details on the gang I liked that taking enemy and installing rooks and heir them and when they don't have enough space in carriage they hijack another carriage and follow you There was magic when He was saying, but in game I din't feel that magic. Thanks to combat it was awesome as well I loved it and all the skill upgrade stuff,weapons,costumes.I was in confusion how grappling hook will combine with the keys in keyboard it is like jaw dropping experience when I first used it.On the whole the game rokz. Voltak bomb is awesome I know and can understand that UBI wants to take Assassin's creed to next level but I feel that something is little bit missing but that missing is also good and i know these new thing will become better better and THE BEST waiting for next game already PLS UBISOFT ONE KIND REQUEST make more modern day stuff i loved it in AC3 . I loved the modern Day stuff seeing Shaun and Rebecca fighting templar but i really wonder why if both did locate where was POE then why did Initiate go to locate again?? ON THE HOLE UBISOFT HAS DONE AWESOME JOB IN CREATING THE GAME AND STUFF LOOKING FOREWORD TO SEE NEXT INSTALMENT. it's my review,my first review. THANKS FOR HAPPYNESS and hope To see REVIVING OF JUNO in next game and it should not end there :rolleyes:

Riffnugget
01-08-2016, 06:13 AM
Um... Why was my thread moved? I created a new thread then the mods moved it into a post in someone elses thread... I see zero logic in this

UbiFancy
01-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Um... Why was my thread moved? I created a new thread then the mods moved it into a post in someone elses thread... I see zero logic in this

Gamer reviews of Syndicate are compiled into this thread, which is why your post was moved here. That way, people looking for reviews and impressions about the game can see them all in one place :)

VoldR
01-09-2016, 10:57 PM
I just started playing AC: Syndicate recently after a long break from the franchise...
Making the timeline videos creed after creed (Altair - Ezio - Edward - Edwale - Haythem / Aveline / Shay - Connor - Arno) had a franchise fatigue, lol
No Shou Jun yet.

Syndicate made a great impression on me as I return back to the story.
The gameplay mechanics, graphics and story as most say are good if not great... but my favourite is the ability to swap characters. What is so great about it?

Twins factor
Its not about skills or the fact one is female but this gives me the chance to play two person at the same time.

I'm not sure if many people notice this, but u can swap during a side mission... As long as the enemy is not alarmed. I most playthrough I've watched all stick to one person when doing side quests.
As there's really no reason to swap as their skills are almost identical.

As for me, i enjoyed this feature the most by acting out as if the two are tackling the mission together. Like making Evie go one way and Jacob the other. Sometimes even more time consuming Evie throw a knife at a target and I reload and make as if Jacob was watching the guy fell dead by knife from another angle.

A small sample here with the Urchins and gang mission in this video. This was before I realised u can swap during a mission, so what I did was reload old save file to redo that mission. To get any cinematics if any that replays don't provide.

Middle of the video after meeting Mr. Green
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=14TZzXGtapk

Repetitive collectibles and missions?
my simple solution to that is to ignore it, like I do with all games...
Unless it has a cinematic scene for collecting them, I don't bother with it from the start.
:)

Story
I'm interested in the story, so far.
The twins dialogue needs to get used to, not sure if its the voice actors or do real twins talk like the way they do.

I'm only in sequence 3. Taking time to act out the parts.

From what I saw from other playthroughs, the story is a bit blend. sounds so sure about themselves and rushed.
I did like the present story though short.

New features
Drop items kill
Not so new l, as I've seen it in Splinter cell, another fav game.
But its fun if I notice it before killing them first.

Counter
Still figuring out how finishing moves and counter works... But I do like the moves. Blade takedowns are the same as Unity but the fists, kakuri blade, cane blade made some nice new moves to see.

Also like the ability to shoot whoever is aiming at u to stop them from shooting.

AI Levels
Not much a problem, manage to tackle people twice the level I am. (lvl 1 vs lvl 6) Was using Jacob and didn't realised he didn't upgrade yet, as I level up Evie more with lockpicks and other skills...

They are more challenging but not unbeatable. Was surrounded by 4 people and near death but manage to rope up and find shelter to finish the job afterwards.

Grappler
Nice to see this originated from the Templars, hopefully to see others using it or is it just him?

This certainly make the game fun and easy to get around compared to past games, just weird how they zip upwards though.

legendvinu
01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
MInE tooo was MOVED

taha905905
01-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Assasin's Creed Syndicate; with it's story and characters it is unforgettable. It really got me from starting to ending. Outfits, guns, newly designed assasin blades, fight clubs, gang fights and much more. Long story short

BEST AC GAME EVER! (I hope ubisoft can keep up the good work)

Misterscruff63
01-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Found the addition of playing another character a bonus, infact i played Evie whenever possible and standing at the top of St Pauls Catherdal for me on my machine was superb, just scanning around the detail and what seemed as far as the eye could see was great. I actually took the time and looked at the smaller parts of the game and in one instance I was on one of them brick towers just looking at the grouting lol I know I need to get a life ! Just things as you play the game you ignore. The game I enjoyed but for me not brilliant infact pretty easy as a whole thought BF was better, was it because I was a high level by the time I had actually finished the main story off because I had done all the side missions i don't know. But there was just nothing in the game for me a weakish story line and just going through the motions.