PDA

View Full Version : It's now official: Modern Day is NOT playable *SPOILERS*

Reptilis91
10-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Here is François Pelland's interview in french: http://www.gamergen.com/actualites/assassins-creed-syndicate-ubisoft-quebec-annonce-information-detail-interview-entrevue-lancement-267345-4

In English:

Gamergen: As we approach the release date, can you tell us if modern day will have more depth than in the previous title?

FP: We don't want to spoil the surprise to our players. Even if it's still not playable, the modern day will appear in a more important way than in Unity but we cannot say more.

We all knew it (except a few fanboys) but this is official. Thank you so much Ubisoft for destroying Assassin's Creed. Everywhere on the internet, the polls show that the fans want more modern day, but Ubisoft don't give a ****.

Whatever. The feeling of being respected is overrated anyway.

naumaan
10-17-2015, 06:27 PM
for me, thats okie, they were working on each game from about 2 years and 2 years earlier .. what they decided would be final ... now think about the ac game two years after ... expect them to do something with it in respect of MD

dimbismp
10-17-2015, 06:29 PM
It doesn't mean much IMO.You can still have a decent MD,even if it is cutscene only.Whether this is true,remains to be seen.

But,why are you surprised?From the first moment,the devs said that the MD would be like Unity

Nerdman3000
10-17-2015, 06:29 PM
I didn't mind the 'modern day' from ACU, and truth be told if we got a longer extended and expanded version of that, I really wouldn't mind.

Don't get be wrong, it still a bit disappointing to not be able to play it, but honestly I'm not surprised. I feel more comfortable with Ubisoft expanding the modern day story with the new Assassin Creed comics coming out, and I'm sure the upcoming film in it's own way will expand the modern day story.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Welp, it's all over folks. The lore as we know it is dead. It was nice while it lasted.

We all knew it (except a few fanboys) but this is official. Thank you so much Ubisoft for destroying Assassin's Creed. Everywhere on the internet, the polls show that the fans want more modern day, but Ubisoft don't give a ****.

I don't want to be that person (and by that person I mean Vestigial) but the polls are not representative of the masses in general.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 06:39 PM
I just wish they would get rid of the Modern Day completely, its sad to see how they screwed it up this much and are still dragging it through the mud

Journey93
10-17-2015, 06:42 PM
Welp, it's all over folks. The lore as we know it is dead. It was nice while it lasted.

I don't want to be that person (and by that person I mean Vestigial) but the polls are not representative of the masses in general.

Sadly thats true. Most of us "hardcore" fans might like it but the casual fans really hate it.
I always saw lots of hate for MD and Desmond back when it was relevant. "I don't want to be dragged out of the animus to play as some boring dude" etc. were common complaints

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Reptilis91
10-17-2015, 06:45 PM

Very true, but it's kind of representative of the hard/mid-core gamers of the AC community. Unfortunately this segment of the market barely interests Ubisoft.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Guys we do have a Time Anomaly in terms of World War 1 Simulation, relax.

Sadly thats true. Most of us "hardcore" fans might like it but the casual fans really hate it.
I always saw lots of hate for MD and Desmond back when it was relevant. "I don't want to be dragged out of the animus to play as some boring dude" etc. were common complaints

I consider myself a hardcore fans and for me AC is historical mainly with the MD being a nice bonus and diversion.

To truly do a MD game you need to remove the historical stuff completely. That's not going to happen for some time.

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 06:50 PM

What could've been easily solved by giving the players the option to don't be interrupted by the MD sequences during their playthrough, I'm certain that the "casuals" still hate the MD no matter what form it has now (they still are interrupted by it after all), the only thing they gained by changing it instead of fixing what was wrong with it, was piss off those who used to like it, now they might as well remove it completely, because I prefer don't have MD at all than continue having AC4/ACU MD' style.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 06:56 PM
...'m certain that the casuals...

Firstly let's drop this casual/hardcore thing. I think it's a fairly silly designation in general because as far as AC goes we are all consumers.

Secondly the fact is there are hardcore gamers who have always liked the historical portion more than the MD version.

now they might as well remove it completely, because I prefer don't have MD at all than continue having AC4/ACU MD' style.

I actually liked Black Flag's MD a lot and I love Time Anomalies in UNITY and we are getting a simulation in that vein with SYNDICATE.

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm a hardcore fan and I wouldn't lose sleep if it's completely gone. Frankly, this whole notion of "us vs them" is childish and silly. Modern day has been a mess since AC II. If it was a worthy investment, Ubisoft wouldn't flinch to bring it back. They brought back Ezio, Italy, Naval because they were popular and prosperous investments. There's no reason to think Ubisoft wouldn't invest in Modern Day if enough people want it. Ubisoft is a business, wherever there's money, they follow.

harsab
10-17-2015, 07:07 PM
.....And some of the MD cutscenes have leaked online it seems. Please don't ask me for a link you can youtube it.

Time to go dark now!

breakdownthewall
10-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Am I a hardcore fan? I don't know anymore, because there's no way I'm picking up Syndicate now.
Modern day was very important to me.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 07:13 PM
What could've been easily solved by giving the players the option to don't be interrupted by the MD sequences during their playthrough, I'm certain that the casuals still hate the MD no matter what form it has now (they still are interrupted by it after all), the only thing they gained by changing it instead of fixing what was wrong with it, was piss off those who used to like it, now they might as well remove it completely, because I prefer don't have MD at all than continue having AC4/ACU MD' style.

Agreed I hated the MD part in AC4 and Rogue and Unity was just unnecessary (even though less annoying).
Playing as some mute Abstergo Employee and going around hacking ****, just got on my nerves. They should just remove it completely if they are going to treat it like that.

GunnerGalactico
10-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Well that bites. I'm not very happy about this at all. I'm actually in the minority of people who didn't complain about the MD. I liked the direction it was headed up till ACB. The only times when the MD segments were executed poorly was in ACR and AC3 (Urrrggghhh! :mad:). After AC4 onwards, the MD has lost all its significance to me. It seems that everything that they've built-up since the first is now officially discarded.

This is exactly the kind of thing that lead to the decline of MD in the first place. :(

Am I a hardcore fan? I don't know anymore, because there's no way I'm picking up Syndicate now.
Modern day was very important to me.

This is a major deal breaker for me as well. I'm not going to be in a hurry to pick up Syndicate either.

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Firstly let's drop this casual/hardcore thing. I think it's a fairly silly designation in general because as far as AC goes we are all consumers.

Secondly the fact is there are hardcore gamers who have always liked the historical portion more than the MD version.

I don't like this nomenclature either, I was just using it for argument' sake. Just to separate those who like the MD from those who doesn't.

I actually liked Black Flag's MD a lot and I love Time Anomalies in UNITY and we are getting a simulation in that vein with SYNDICATE.

Nothing against the time anomalies, when I say that I want the MD removed, I'm talking about the plots (Juno, Sages, Assassins x Templars war during the MD) and not the whole premise behind reliving memories, they could sell the games as Abstergo products for example, to justify the HUD and all that, but with no MD sequences, time anomalies could still be used in the game and be considered glitches in the system (at least this way it wouldn't feel like they're being shoehorned into every game), my problem with AC4/ACU's MD is that I am supposed to be the protagonist and that sucks, I don't have the slightest interest in being a mute character who doesn't have a say in anything...

Journey93
10-17-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm a hardcore fan and I wouldn't lose sleep if it's completely gone. Frankly, this whole notion of "us vs them" is childish and silly. Modern day has been a mess since AC II. If it was a worthy investment, Ubisoft wouldn't flinch to bring it back. They brought back Ezio, Italy, Naval because they were popular and prosperous investments. There's no reason to think Ubisoft wouldn't invest in Modern Day if enough people want it. Ubisoft is a business, wherever there's money, they follow.

I didn't say every hardcore fan liked it. But definitely a lot of people do here and on reddit and other places dedicated specifically to AC.
The casual fans don't, they never did.

Like I said overall most people don't like it/ don't care for it. And since the more casual fans are the majority Ubisoft doesn't either anymore.

RVSage
I saw someone in redditt (presumably french) post this.

Here's the exact french paragraph that is being talked about.
Nous ne voulons pas gâcher la surprise de la découverte aux joueurs, mais si elle n'est toujours pas jouable, l'histoire se déroulant au présent se retrouvera de façon plus importante que dans Unity, mais nous ne pouvons en dire plus.
Access the Animus used google translate to translate it, and it's been translated wrong (it's been translated literally) what it says is : We do not want to spoil the surprise if there is a playable present day or not, the story in the present will be more than Unity's, we can't say anymore.

I may end up disappointed if this is indeed true, but if it is substantial and at least expands the lore and offers coherency, I may accept it

SofaJockey
Surely this thread title would be considered a spoiler?
This is not a very good start to keeping the game under wraps.

RA503
JFK !!!
Oh my god that intro is so Easter Egg hunt bait Darby you hind something here again ?

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 07:21 PM
I saw someone in redditt (presumably french) post this.

It is a bad translation

Nous ne voulons pas gâcher la surprise de la découverte aux joueurs, mais si elle n'est toujours pas jouable, l'histoire se déroulant au présent se retrouvera de façon plus importante que dans Unity, mais nous ne pouvons en dire plus.

That key phrase literally translates as "Even if it's not always playable" so even if they did a literal translation they could have gotten the meaning across perfectly fine. Instead they removed "toujours".

RVSage
10-17-2015, 07:27 PM
It is a bad translation

That key phrase literally translates as "Even if it's not always playable" so even if they did a literal translation they could have gotten the meaning across perfectly fine. Instead they removed "toujours".

aahhh.. Let's see, until I see someone who has actually played the game say this. I am not going to ponder about it

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 07:29 PM
aahhh.. Let's see, until I see someone who has actually played the game say this. I am not going to ponder about it

Having glimpsed the 40 minute leak of Syndicate, I do think we are getting more MD than usual. It's already more MD than Unity and they made assets for it.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Surely this thread title would be considered a spoiler?
This is not a very good start to keeping the game under wraps.

It's not a spoiler imo. It's a friendly warning to anybody who had their hopes up. I'm glad it was posted. After seeing the video on YT and reading this thread my expectations are very low now.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 07:31 PM
... my expectations are very low now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rIqBeMZAMc

strigoi1958
10-17-2015, 07:35 PM
All the people who like 1 small part of the game need to stop stating they are the only hardcore people and everyone else is a casual or fanboy.... it isn't true and it doesn't add any weight to your claim especially when you add, you're leaving or not buying the next game... I don't think that defines hardcore fans.Also everyone who has ever bothered to express an opinion on the 1st CIV MD online I seriously doubt it has amounted to 5% of sales.... even if every other sale was to a "casual" gamer it is irrelevant... companies sell to buyers not a specific group.

Now that said...

I don't care either way about MD... I would like it to stay just because I want everyone to enjoy AC not just me (that's the kind of thing "hardcore" fans say ;)) especially if it wasn't silly again, kill Lucy, Desmond suicide.... and if it was interactive... so it was less immersion breaking... or there was a story at the end so I can skip it after the game ends.

We will see whether there is something in Syndicate to please MD fans....(I would think a paper trail and information regarding 1st Civ with a cameo from Minerva or Juno would do.... but as already said about the games in production I think maybe next year would be a better chance to include something.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 07:42 PM
All the people who like 1 small part of the game need to stop stating they are the only hardcore people and everyone else is a casual or fanboy.... it isn't true and it doesn't add any weight to your claim especially when you add, you're leaving or not buying the next game... I don't think that defines hardcore fans.Also everyone who has ever bothered to express an opinion on the 1st CIV MD online I seriously doubt it has amounted to 5% of sales.... even if every other sale was to a "casual" gamer it is irrelevant... companies sell to buyers not a specific group.

Now that said...

I don't care either way about MD... I would like it to stay just because I want everyone to enjoy AC not just me (that's the kind of thing "hardcore" fans say ;)) especially if it wasn't silly again, kill Lucy, Desmond suicide.... and if it was interactive... so it was less immersion breaking... or there was a story at the end so I can skip it after the game ends.

We will see whether there is something in Syndicate to please MD fans....(I would think a paper trail and information regarding 1st Civ with a cameo from Minerva or Juno would do.... but as already said about the games in production I think maybe next year would be a better chance to include something.

Liking modern day doesn't mean that you're a hardcore AC fan, true, but most people who love the modern day are hardcore AC fans.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 07:43 PM

Now that said...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y083uOcg1fc/VWjsqOmLDTI/AAAAAAADuR4/9-n_M8xXVuU/s1600/7ac.jpg

harsab
10-17-2015, 07:54 PM
On paper it sounds bad yeah but when people play the game and Ubisoft have actually made a strong non playable MD presence throughout the game i think the audience will not even realize playable MD is gone.

In Unity there was literally nothing happening in the MD so i understand the disappointment there but if we have a strong MD arc throughout the game there is NO reason for us to be disappointed.
I wanna learn more about the First Civ, Eve, Pieces of Eden, certain mysteries that haven't been solved yet. If we get all these things in Syndicate it will be the best AC.

Just wait till you guys play the game.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
The sad part is seeing next gen Shaun and Rebecca in all their HD glory. :(

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
The sad part is seeing next gen Shaun and Rebecca in all their HD glory. :(
Those scenes are CGI.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Now that said...

Here we go again... believe it or not most hardcore fans do like MD generally more than casual fans. No one is trying to put down a group here, just stating how it is.

And since the casuals are the majority, Ubisoft doesn't care to make a good MD part either. And I can't say I blame them for that (just wish they would drop it completely).

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 08:02 PM
most hardcore fans do like MD generally more than casual fans.
I would like proof of this statement please. Along with that, please give an objective definition of what constitutes a hardcore fan and how that is different from a casual fan.

strigoi1958
10-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Liking modern day doesn't mean that you're a hardcore AC fan, true, but most people who love the modern day are hardcore AC fans.

I think most people here are hardcore fans even those who dislike MD ( although I think they'd like it in a different way) ... and from time to time when we hurt or don't like another persons point it is easy to slip in a personal slight.... as if to say... "You have a point but what I say is more important because I feel more invested than you" it's something that should never arise.... it is like waving a white flag when a debate comes to name calling..

But I can understand it comes from a desire for everyone to rally to their cause. So it doesn't anger me.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 08:05 PM
I would like proof of this statement please.

Well aren't you a lot on this forum and reddit? The people here are a minority compared to how many buy the game.
And in general whenever there is a thread here and on the AC sub etc. most people want more MD and want Ubisoft to stop being lazy and put effort into it

On the other hand go to some big game forums, review sites etc.and post people ****ted on the MD part of previous games (back when it actually mattered).
They found it immersion breaking and unnecessary

Now actual numbers I can't give you but its pretty clear if you pay attention

Hardcore fans are those who actually go to the forums and discuss the games and like to spend time. Casuals are who just buy and don't care that much.
No group is better but one are more invested

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2015, 08:06 PM
I would like proof of this statement please. Along with that, please give an objective definition of what constitutes a hardcore fan and how that is different from a casual fan.

mlg360noscope 420urmum mate

1337 1 on 1 me scrub

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Well aren't you a lot on this forum and reddit? The people here are a minority compared to how many buy the game.
And in general whenever there is a thread here and on the AC sub etc. most people want more MD and want Ubisoft to stop being lazy and put effort into it.

On the other hand go to some big game forums, review sites etc.and post people ****ted on the MD part of previous games (back when it actually mattered).

So you're saying hardcore fans are only on this forum and reddit? Well maybe those big sites house far more hardcore fans the forums and reddit combined. I mean, I assume hardcore fan means someone who started from the first AC and played them all. That would fit a lot of AC fans outside reddit and the forums.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 08:12 PM
So you're saying hardcore fans are only on this forum and reddit? Well maybe those big sites house far more hardcore fans the forums and reddit combined. I mean, I assume hardcore fan means someone who started from the first AC and played them all. That would fit a lot of AC fans outside reddit and the forums.

True but the people here (and on other AC related forums) spend a lot of time discussing the series (the different games, characters etc.). I would say that means that one is a hardcore fan. Obviously there are others too, but we are only talking about the internet sooo

There are a lot of people on the big gaming forums etc. who maybe bought an AC game here and there but generally aren't nearly as invested as the people here. And whenever I read their comments etc. its always "Ehhh MD sucks, Desmond is boring. Its immersion breaking, I want to go back into the Animus, what is this **** etc."

Same with AC3. Many here and on the AC sub love it (especially now after all these years) but the gaming community in general is far more split on that game.

strigoi1958
10-17-2015, 08:15 PM
believe it or not most hardcore fans do like MD generally more than casual fans. No one is trying to put down a group here, just stating how it is.

And since the casuals are the majority, Ubisoft doesn't care to make a good MD part either. And I can't say I blame them for that (just wish they would drop it completely).

What I believe is... people who like MD, 1st CIV believe nobody else can be a hardcore fan UNLESS they are MD 1st CIV fans...

As you said Ubisoft (as all successful companies do) is aiming for the biggest market and maybe feel that the MD/ 1st CIV was not received well by the majority and are trying to keep it in as a way to show the core MD fans they have not forgotten them (even if it goes against market research).

Personally I don't mind MD or 1st CIV but I really like exploring the past, visiting the cities and seeing the historical people and events... these are valid points to hardcore fans as well. If the MD was more interactive then it wouldn't be such a break from the game... it would be part of the game to me.

@dxsxhxcx don't forget people are joining not just leaving... and if sales increase then Ubi are doing it right...

I don't know why MD was changed can you link the source please ?

yearly releases do not have the players interests at heart ... I would like an ac game every 6 months... or do people who like ac games and want more not count ?

You do realise that not everyone thinks the quality has gone down don't you ? or do you think any company can make a game that 100% of the buyers will all be of the same opinion.

I know people have different tastes... sometimes I'm in the majority and sometimes I'm in the minority... regardless of whether I like or dislike something. Some people have difficulty accepting that, especially when what they want is not what is being offered

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 08:18 PM
And in general whenever there is a thread here and on the AC sub etc. most people want more MD and want Ubisoft to stop being lazy and put effort into it.

A good example of a casual gamer is me circa 2011 when I bought my Xbox 360 and re-entered gaming after 7 years of quitting games altogether to focus on other stuff. So I caught up on backlog. I got AC-2 because it was set in Renaissance Italy and it was everywhere. The whole MD twist of AC1, the Abstergo hacking and Subject 16 stuff...meant nothing to me. I then played in short order, Brotherhood, then Revelations. AC3 was the first bought-at-launch-AC title for me (I was there at Midnight) and I actually played AC1 after AC3.

I never hated MD, I understand why it's there and I like it as it is and would miss it if it vanished altogether for no reason. I like the fact that Ubisoft try and come up with something different to do each time. AC1 we were Templar Prisoner, AC2, we are under Assassin Protection, AC3, we are in building we visited in past. ACR, we enter our mind inside the Animus. AC3 we are in Tomb and occassionally travel the world. Black Flag, we work for the bad guys who are incredibly dumb. Unity you had Time Anomalies which was awesome. Rogue sucked since it reused assets from Black Flag MD...

But for me I don't think Shaun or Rebecca or even Desmond were sufficiently interesting to hold a game. They are likable personalities but the true figures are the past. My favorite MD character is Subject 16.

Journey93
10-17-2015, 08:25 PM
A good example of a casual gamer is me circa 2011 when I bought my Xbox 360 and re-entered gaming after 7 years of quitting games altogether to focus on other stuff. So I caught up on backlog. I got AC-2 because it was set in Renaissance Italy and it was everywhere. The whole MD twist of AC1, the Abstergo hacking and Subject 16 stuff...meant nothing to me. I then played in short order, Brotherhood, then Revelations. AC3 was the first bought-at-launch-AC title for me (I was there at Midnight) and I actually played AC1 after AC3.

I never hated MD, I understand why it's there and I like it as it is and would miss it if it vanished altogether for no reason. I like the fact that Ubisoft try and come up with something different to do each time. AC1 we were Templar Prisoner, AC2, we are under Assassin Protection, AC3, we are in building we visited in past. ACR, we enter our mind inside the Animus. AC3 we are in Tomb and occassionally travel the world. Black Flag, we work for the bad guys who are incredibly dumb. Unity you had Time Anomalies which was awesome. Rogue sucked since it reused assets from Black Flag MD...

But for me I don't think Shaun or Rebecca or even Desmond were sufficiently interesting to hold a game. They are likable personalities but the true figures are the past. My favorite MD character is Subject 16.

Yeah but you are definitely no casual fan anymore. Even if you don't care about the MD I would still say you are a hardcore fan.

Also I agree that they couldn't hold their own game. A MD only game just wouldn't be classic AC, the gameplay etc. would be just too different. But I still feel like the MD passages of the previous games (until AC3) gave the historical portions of the story purpose and meaning.

They added to the experiece a lot. These days it feels more like I'm playing a pointless side story like Unity or just playing as "me" in some Abstergo building (which is just boring).

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft would never include the MD if they made the series now and knew the cash cow it would become. But removing it completely now would feel odd so they still put some half assed MD in every game.

harsab
10-17-2015, 08:32 PM
lmao i missed Assassin_M killing people in arguments, even though i don't agree with everything he may say he sure does prove a point! LOL

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2015, 08:38 PM
don't worry

ubi knows that they want tumblr to pick up for them where modern day left off

like man of popsicle says, it's really YOU who saves the day!

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 08:39 PM
But I still feel like the MD passages of the previous games (until AC3) gave the historical portions of the story purpose and meaning.

Well, I don't know, I felt Black Flag did that best because there the meaning and connections are entirely for us to take away, rather than deliberately shoehorn it into a save-the-world plot. Like Black Flag was about the fact that the story of Edward Kenway would become this cheap, tacky thing that distorts his life and story, it's about the fact that in the 21st Century you are a corporate slave with no freedom essentially wanting the same things as those pirates did in the 1700s It was more subtle and understated. And the fact that the Floating Tablet RL is not an Assassin with an illustrious past and legacy, not on any hero's journey makes it more meaningful to me.

They added to the experiece a lot. These days it feels more like I'm playing a pointless side story like Unity or just playing as "me" in some Abstergo building (which is just boring).

Well Unity had a host of problems and to me the MD was a symptom of the overall failure rather than a fundamental aspect of it.

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft would never include the MD if they made the series now and knew the cash cow it would become. But removing it completely now would feel odd so they still put some half assed MD in every game.

I don't get that logic. The assumption is that Ubisoft's MD is some uncommercial arty element that was too bold at the time. The point of MD was to allow Ubisoft to go to any period at any time, that they have total freedom to do what they want. Making AC1 itself was incredibly bold at the time. It was a new IP and in away it's the one of very few Ubisoft brands that's entirely unique which they made for themselves. There's Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil too, but essentially stuff like Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Far Cry, Prince of Persia were licenses rather than anything Ubisoft created on their own. And AC showed that open world games can be used for more than GTA clones.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Those scenes are CGI.

Yes but it's next gen CGI.

Seeing them together reminds me of old times.
Look, the modern day wasn't perfect but it needs to be there. The lore is what distinguishes AC from many other games. I often here people say that R* are the kings of open world but the one thing they have never topped Ubi on when it comes to AC is the story. It was so unique, so clever and I think if they had found a way to make its gameplay match up to it I think we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 08:53 PM
The lore is what distinguishes AC from many other games.

That's arguable on several fronts. AC had Parkour/Social Stealth/Building Traversal. It had historical settings with unprecedent and far more accurate than usual recreations than anyone expected games could do. These are the chief aspects which distinguish AC, even more than MD. Lore is something almost every fantasy game has. Even Rockstar games have that world building stuff. The First Civ and the like are your basic Warcraft Fantasy Pantheon. The whole enter someone's mind via a machine thing was already done in Tim Schafer's Psychonauts.

RVSage
10-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Modern day shines light on the overall AC lore. It really does not need a playable character to be honest. Modern day with enough coverage of over reaching plot is good enough for me. The problem with unity's modern day was apart from the "project phoenix video" there was nothing in there. Yes a playable modern day character will be nice, but not a necessity (to me atleast). What matters is the continuity and coherence of the overall franchise lore. If Syndicate offers me that I would be content if not happy.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 09:49 PM
That's arguable on several fronts. AC had Parkour/Social Stealth/Building Traversal. It had historical settings with unprecedent and far more accurate than usual recreations than anyone expected games could do. These are the chief aspects which distinguish AC, even more than MD. Lore is something almost every fantasy game has. Even Rockstar games have that world building stuff. The First Civ and the like are your basic Warcraft Fantasy Pantheon. The whole enter someone's mind via a machine thing was already done in Tim Schafer's Psychonauts.

I knew someone would say this. All of the things you've listed are elements that can easily be duplicated - as it has been in games like Shadows of Mordor and Tomb Raider. The story cannot. The concepts that Ubisoft were tackling was so unique and interesting. They somehow managed to take every theory about the beginning and purpose of man and combine them into one in a way that felt organic and made sense rather than cheesy. The story is second to none which is why Fassbender saw the potential for a movie. No dev has even attempted anything like it without falling flat on their face (Bioshock Infinite lol) and it's worth noting that those things you listed can become tiresome. There's only so many times you can say "wow, a new city!". What keeps it interesting is the ever changing twists and turns of the lore. I think as time goes by fans who have been playing the game from day 1 will realise how much the lore is needed.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
I knew someone would say this. All of the things you've listed are elements that can easily be duplicated - as it has been in games like Shadows of Mordor and Tomb Raider. The story cannot. The concepts that Ubisoft were tackling was so unique and interesting. They somehow managed to take every theory about the beginning and purpose of man and combine them into one in a way that felt organic and made sense rather than cheesy. The story is second to none which is why Fassbender saw the potential for a movie. No dev has even attempted anything like it without falling flat on their face (Bioshock Infinite lol) and it's worth noting that those things you listed can become tiresome. There's only so many times you can say "wow, a new city!". What keeps it interesting is the ever changing twists and turns of the lore. I think as time goes by fans who have been playing the game from day 1 will realise how much the lore is needed.

To me the lore is most meaningful when it serves the game rather than the other way. Like Zelda has stuff about the Tri-force and all that but it took Wind Waker to give that real meaning, mostly because it was about the end of that entire era.

Metal Gear Solid is burdened with impenetrable lore and all sorts of mumbo-jumbo and most of those games can't really be appreciated if you don't like the Lore. The main exception is Snake Eater and to some extent, Phantom Pain. Snake Eater is a spy-spoof of the Bond era and it works in that context and it tels a story that's nice. In the case of AC, even if you don't care about First Civ and crap you can appreciate the Ezio games, AC3 or Black Flag

Hans684
10-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Then I'll watch the entire game on YouTube to find out it's it's filler like Unity, seeing as Unity has less story reasons to exist than Liberation I'm not exited at all.

Toa TAK
10-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Then I'll watch the entire game on YouTube to find out it's it's filler like Unity, seeing as Unity has less story reasons to exist than Liberation I'm not exited at all.
Ah man, I hope not. ACIV-Unity didn't feel like it really amounted to anything, even the Juno crap in IV didn't feel like it added much to the modern day mythos. What a shame. When you put it like that, I hope that Syndicate has some real significance to the overall plot in the present day, because Unity didn't.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Ah man, I hope not. ACIV-Unity didn't feel like it really amounted to anything, even the Juno crap in IV didn't feel like it added much to the modern day mythos. What a shame. When you put it like that, I hope that Syndicate has some real significance to the overall plot in the present day, because Unity didn't.

Black Flag overcomplicated things whilst not doing much which is quite an extraordinary feat - the Sage? No, no, no.
We'll see if the Instruments of the First Will or whatever the f they're called play any role in Syndicate MD.

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm afraid I'm just too cynical for this.. ha! http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png

anyway, it's not because I haven't explicitly stated in my previous post (that I ended up deleting because I realized it would come out the wrong way) that every story has two sides, that I'm not aware that there are people who like things as they are and don't share the same views as me, I just wanted to point out a few things, then let's just agree to disagree:

@dxsxhxcx don't forget people are joining not just leaving... and if sales increase then Ubi are doing it right...

Some people are leaving because of the MD, and the franchise will always atract newcomers, but I find hard to believe that the reason why people are getting on board of the AC train has anything to do with the MD (or the lack of it). I'm afraid you've mixed two different points I was trying to make. Sorry for not being more clear about it.

I don't know why MD was changed can you link the source please?

That's me being cynical, don't mind me.

yearly releases do not have the players interests at heart ... I would like an ac game every 6 months, or do people who like ac games and want more not count?

we are seeing this from two completely different angles, like I said before, I should've made myself more clear, my mistake...

You do realise that not everyone thinks the quality has gone down don't you?

I do, but I thought that people would understand that without the necessity of me saying it, I was just expressing my opinion about how I think that people that, like me, used to enjoy the MD before AC4 might feel about it nowadays..

to keep things simple..

But I still feel like the MD passages of the previous games (until AC3) gave the historical portions of the story purpose and meaning.

I think Journey has perfectly nailed the way I feel about the MD nowadays (post-AC4) and part of the point I was trying to make, I just disagree with him/her about its complete removal, because like I said in one of my first posts in this thread:

when I say that I want the MD removed, I'm talking about the plots (Juno, Sages, Assassins x Templars war during the MD) and not the whole premise behind reliving memories, they could sell the games as Abstergo products for example, to justify the HUD and all that, but with no MD sequences, time anomalies could still be used in the game and be considered glitches in the system (at least this way it wouldn't feel like they're being shoehorned into every game), my problem with AC4/ACU's MD is that I am supposed to be the protagonist and that sucks, I don't have the slightest interest in being a mute character who doesn't have a say in anything...

I think that this approach would please most fans of the franchise... I know I might not be taking into consideration the people who may like the current MD style (AC4/ACU) but that's because I don't remember seeing anybody who have genuinely enjoyed it, the impression that I have is that most people have simply accepted that things are this way now..

VoXngola
10-17-2015, 10:49 PM
I watched the 40 min video and..
...I don't get it. So the mission for the Modern Day Assassins is to locate data to find the POE in London. Rebecca says "we did". What? What is the point of the "gamer" to relieve the memories of Jacob and Evie then? The MD Assassins know where it is apparently, after all. I know, far too early to already make such assumptions, but if this ends up being yet again a filler with nothing happening, then I'll explode. I'm calling it: The Assassins know there is a POE in London, but don't know what kind of POE it is. The sole purpose of the "gamer " is to find out that it's the Shroud and what it can do. That's it. Thanks, Initiate!

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 11:01 PM
...I don't get it. So the mission for the Modern Day Assassins is to locate data to find the POE in London. Rebecca says "we did". What? What is the point of the "gamer" to relieve the memories of Jacob and Evie then? The MD Assassins know where it is apparently, after all. I know, far too early to already make such assumptions, but if this ends up being yet again a filler with nothing happening, then I'll explode. I'm calling it: The Assassins know there is a POE in London, but don't know what kind of POE it is. The sole purpose of the "gamer " is to find out that it's the Shroud and what it can do. That's it. Thanks, Initiate!

I believe the idea is to pinpoint the exact location of the POE, they know that it is in London, but they don't exactly know where

VoXngola
10-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I believe the idea is to pinpoint the exact location of the POE, they know that it is in London, but they don't exactly know where
I hope you're right and I just stupidly overreacted.

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I hope you're right and I just stupidly overreacted.

(IMO) It still (kinda) sucks, though, if all we will be doing in the next games is search for POEs to do something still unknown to us, while the whole Sage/Juno thing barely advances in the background (because I can totally see Ubisoft doing that to release more games), this doesn't look like fun, as far as the MD is concerned.

Maybe I'm overreacting as well, but I've stopped being optimistic about the MD's future after AC:Revelations... :(

VoXngola
10-17-2015, 11:27 PM
(IMO) It still (kinda) sucks, though, if all we will be doing in the next games is search for POEs to do something still unknown to us, while the whole Sage/Juno thing barely advances in the background (because I can totally see Ubisoft doing that to release more games), this doesn't look like fun, as far as the MD is concerned.

Maybe I'm overreacting as well, but I've stopped being optimistic about the MD's future after AC:Revelations... :(
Yeah, I agree and definitely share your pain man. It's the same for me.

TimeLock09
10-17-2015, 11:34 PM

Do you happen to have the link to the 40 min video?

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Do you happen to have the link to the 40 min video?

you can easily find it on Youtube

TimeLock09
10-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Don't matter, found it lol. Looks .... interesting. Just hope Modern Day progresses further.

Locopells
10-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Gah, so many spoiler tags. MUST. NOT. READ...

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 11:56 PM

what if I tell that in most of them people are breaking the forum' rules? :rolleyes:

/jk don't worry :p

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 12:13 AM
You poor guy. You can't even go dark:p

ShoryukenMan
10-18-2015, 12:32 AM
I thought this was already confirmed? I guess it doesn't sting any less to hear it, though.

Man, I really miss modern day being playable by a third person protagonist.

I may still pick the game up if the historical story is any good and the frame rate and glitches aren't too bad.

Excuse me while I go cry in a corner...

harsab
10-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Modern day shines light on the overall AC lore. It really does not need a playable character to be honest. Modern day with enough coverage of over reaching plot is good enough for me. The problem with unity's modern day was apart from the "project phoenix video" there was nothing in there. Yes a playable modern day character will be nice, but not a necessity (to me atleast). What matters is the continuity and coherence of the overall franchise lore. If Syndicate offers me that I would be content if not happy.

This x100! I love a playable MD if i'm being honest BUT if it has a strong presence & purpose throughout the game why it does it matter if it's not playable? it's not like MD was vastly explorable.

Moultonborough
10-18-2015, 02:26 AM
Yeah, I agree and definitely share your pain man. It's the same for me.

But.....it was so much fun playing Tetris and discovering his pre-AC1 history LOL. But...yes I did enjoy his background though the way they did it was a strange turn.

Anyway.... I do enjoy MD. I just played through the whole series (including Unity) and I ended up doing all the rifts and reading the Intel from them. And from the last few it did show progress and what Abstergo was dealing with so I wouldn't say it was pointless or absent (not fully anyway). Yes, there was no actual person even more so then BF so I can see people's points and I would enjoy a third person character but I'm not counting on it. I will give Ubisoft a tiny shadow of a doubt for doing a adequate Syndicate MD.......for now.

Locopells
10-18-2015, 01:12 PM
You poor guy. You can't even go dark:p

Tell me about it!

CoachAssassin
10-18-2015, 05:20 PM
The modern day story in Syndicate is incredibly dull, I dare say it's tie-in is equal/worse then Unity. Syndicate really tries to limit the influence to AC1 levels in the past story. You're looking for an artifact and so are the templars, but a major story moving forward doesn't exist simply. There's a small thing that get's resolved/progressed at the end, but that's about it. You get to see more of Shaun and Rebecca a lot though, which is cool.

Small summary of a fairly detail-free version of MD in Syndicate.

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2015, 05:42 PM
The modern day story in Syndicate is incredibly dull, I dare say it's tie-in is equal/worse then Unity. Syndicate really tries to limit the influence to AC1 levels in the past story. You're looking for an artifact and so are the templars, but a major story moving forward doesn't exist simply. There's a small thing that get's resolved/progressed at the end, but that's about it. You get to see more of Shaun and Rebecca a lot though, which is cool.

where did you get this from?

CoachAssassin
10-18-2015, 06:04 PM
where did you get this from?

I'll upload stuff as soon as I have the okay, and I'll show you the links to it.

harsab
10-18-2015, 06:09 PM
I'll upload stuff as soon as I have the okay, and I'll show you the links to it.

So are you implying that you completed the game?

m4r-k7
10-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Surely it can't be even worse than Unity's. It was literally non existent in Unity.

killerman_2012
10-18-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm very angry :mad:

Marc said that the modern-day section would be back and that we'd love it... Now I see that these words were just to enhance our hype. The modern-day has not return, it's the same **** of Unity's present-day (CGI cutscenes), so ¿what is the point of saying that it returns if it never disappeared?

I hate what Ubisoft has made to AC series. They are destroying this franchise, year by year. First, they reduced the Creed traditions and the Assassin brotherhood presence (replacing it by patriots, pirates and now gang bands). Also they forgot the conspiracy and mistery from the first four games. They said that Clay was mad and his words about Desmond's son and Eve's DNA weren't truth. Then they reduced MD section and turned it into first-person gameplay. Subsequently, they ended numbered titles and made each AC game independent from the rest of the franchise (to not scare off casual gamers who do not want to play an entire franchise to understand the new games). And after that, since Unity the MD sections are just CUTSCENES!!! Bravo Ubisoft!!!

If they were able to do amazing stories and to combine perfectly present and past gameplay during the previous console gen ¿why the **** can't they do it now? The answer is that they can, but they don't want it. They prefer to focus on casual consumers who are only interested in kill people and do historical tourism, avoiding the complexity of the series' main plot... They've forgot the old hardcore players who are following this series from the very beginning, thanks to whom this saga owes the success it has today.

I'M SO ANGRYYYYY!!!! and sad, because I realized that the series is hopeless :(

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 07:05 PM
They've forgot the old hardcore players who are following this series from the very beginning, thanks to whom this saga owes the success it has today.

Yo, hardcore player right here. Couldn't care less about modern day either.

FrankieSatt
10-18-2015, 07:07 PM
This series has been so screwed up it's not even funny. The story line has been completely screwed since the end of ACIII. Black Flag started the downhill of the story line, Unity had little to nothing to do with the Modern Day story line and it seems like they have now removed it all together and pretty much there is nothing tying the past to the current day.

I knew this would happen after they killed off Desmond. The only reason to play the game now is for the game play, the story lines are just pure crap now.

Way to ruin series UbiSoft. Milk it bone dry and get as much as you can, that's all they are doing now. :mad:

RVSage
10-18-2015, 07:10 PM

. They've forgot the old hardcore players who are following this series from the very beginning, thanks to whom this saga owes the success it has today.

Played every game atleast twice here, modern day offers continuity, does not mean it needs to be playable. Anything that can offer enough content to expand and explain the modern day lore is good for me

Between MAC never said we will have a playable modern day, he said it will be more "substantial" and will offer more details what is going on between templars and assassins in the "modern day"

If that is delivered I am good , if not I will think about continuing the series.

killerman_2012
10-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Played every game atleast twice here, modern day offers continuity, does not mean it needs to be playable. Anything that can offer enough content to expand and explain the modern day lore is good for me

Between MAC never said we will have a playable modern day, he said it will be more "substantial" and will offer more details what is going on between templars and assassins in the "modern day"

If that is delivered I am good , if not I will think about continuing the series.

Yep, I know Marc never said it will be playable, but he willfully said that the present-day will "return" to hype us to the stratosphere! That makes me angry.

Yo, hardcore player right here. Couldn't care less about modern day either.

I call hardcore fans to those who love the original Desilets formula of the series, namely: Playable present-day + Playable past + Secret society conspiracy + First Civilization

harsab
10-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Relax and stop listening/looking at peoples ''reviews'' wait till the game comes out & play it yourself or look at all the walkthroughs then make your judgement.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 07:54 PM
I call hardcore fans to those who love the original Desilets formula of the series, namely: Playable present-day + Playable past + Secret society conspiracy + First Civilization
That is awfully specific, but no. Hardcore fans are ones who invested in the series for a long time and continue to do so. Not what you dictate what a hardcore fan is, lol. That's ridiculous.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 07:57 PM

Marc said that the modern-day section would be back and that we'd love it... Now I see that these words were just to enhance our hype. The modern-day has not return, it's the same **** of Unity's present-day (CGI cutscenes), so ¿what is the point of saying that it returns if it never disappeared?

I hate what Ubisoft has made to AC series. They are destroying this franchise, year by year. First, they reduced the Creed traditions and the Assassin brotherhood presence (replacing it by patriots, pirates and now gang bands). Also they forgot the conspiracy and mistery from the first four games. They said that Clay was mad and his words about Desmond's son and Eve's DNA weren't truth. Then they reduced MD section and turned it into first-person gameplay. Subsequently, they ended numbered titles and made each AC game independent from the rest of the franchise (to not scare off casual gamers who do not want to play an entire franchise to understand the new games). And after that, since Unity the MD sections are just CUTSCENES!!! Bravo Ubisoft!!!

If they were able to do amazing stories and to combine perfectly present and past gameplay during the previous console gen ¿why the **** can't they do it now? The answer is that they can, but they don't want it. They prefer to focus on casual consumers who are only interested in kill people and do historical tourism, avoiding the complexity of the series' main plot... They've forgot the old hardcore players who are following this series from the very beginning, thanks to whom this saga owes the success it has today.

Ubisoft are liars. They lie all the time and have absolutely no respect for their fans.
If he had simply said MD wouldn't be playable from the start and only cut scene based I wouldn't be so angry but they really do think we're stupid.

"30 fps is more cinematic" LOL

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Didn't really expect it to come back. Lets be honest, if it was a 3rd person character again for MD they would have told us.

harsab
10-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Ubisoft are liars. They lie all the time and have absolutely no respect for their fans.
If he had simply said MD wouldn't be playable from the start and only cut scene based I wouldn't be so angry but they really do think we're stupid.

"30 fps is more cinematic" LOL

if I'm being honest AC in 60 fps would look god awful & weird. I hope that never happens.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 08:02 PM
I don't get why people are so angry.

I-Like-Pie45
10-18-2015, 08:03 PM
why are all you people so upset

you are playing as a character

youre playing as you

the modern day is now the world is you cazetoro

or are you people emos that hate yourselves hee hee snuffle guffle munchy

harsab
10-18-2015, 08:04 PM

They haven't even played the game & straight away think the game will be garbage :(

Senningiri_GR
10-18-2015, 08:07 PM
why are all you people so upset

you are playing as a character

youre playing as you

the modern day is now the world is you cazetoro

or are you people emos that hate yourselves hee hee snuffle guffle munchy

If we are playing as us, the no talking noob is a bad idea. they could 1) Have us create our own "us" like the Uplay avatars, or 2) just give us a voice as first person

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 08:13 PM
They haven't even played the game & straight away think the game will be garbage :(

Eh, I don't doubt that the modern day is gonna be filler garbage again, but all they saw is one cutscene, lol. Yeah, Marc overhyped it. Sixkeys and I knew this much, but all he said was that it's gonna be more prominent. He didn't say "HORY SHET GUYZ, DESMOND IZ GONNA BE BACK". Everyone at Ubisoft just said that it'll be more prominent. Maybe it will be, I dunno. Maybe things will happen. I mean, ACR Mutiplayer was the same way. The modern day story advanced in CGI cutscenes and it was pretty cool, why is everyone getting their panties in a twist?

I-Like-Pie45
10-18-2015, 08:13 PM
don't be so entitled, or someone will have to check your privilege

killerman_2012
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM

Because they said "we learned from Unity's mistakes" and often the developers said "THE PRESENT COMES BACK... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!", so we trust that they would not repeat Unity's formula. But with the leaked gameplay, we confirmed that it's absolutely the same garbage. They don't learned a s.h.i.t. of their mistakes.

ShoryukenMan
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Check ALL the privilege!

DeceivingEric
10-18-2015, 08:22 PM

So, you played the entire game? What do you think of this article? Was it the truth or lies? http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-syndicate-will-bring-back-present-/1100-6429309/

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Because they said "we learned from Unity's mistakes" and often the developers said "THE PRESENT COMES BACK... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!", so we trust that they would not repeat Unity's formula. But with the leaked gameplay, we confirmed that it's absolutely the same garbage. They don't learned a s.h.i.t. of their mistakes.
They said they learned from Unity's mistakes regarding the development and gameplay, not the modern day. How do you know it wont be prominent, though? Maybe stuff is gonna happen, like in ACR's multiplayer. A lot of stuff happened in the modern day and it was all cutscenes, so.

killerman_2012
10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
They said they learned from Unity's mistakes regarding the development and gameplay, not the modern day. How do you know it wont be prominent, though? Maybe stuff is gonna happen, like in ACR's multiplayer. A lot of stuff happened in the modern day and it was all cutscenes, so.

But when we heard "The present-day will return and you will love it" (Loomer's interview) we thought they was talking about a different kind of present-day, because if it was the same Unity's cutscenes ¿why to use the word "return" if it never has gone? It made no sense. But now, we see it's the same garbage, and most of us feel deceived, because Marc used those words willfully to increase our expectations.

Maybe you're right about the stuff that could happen, and I hope so, I wish I was wrong, but my faith in Ubisoft is zero.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Saying "present day will return" is misleading as it never technically went away. Of course thats going to make people think 3rd person character again.

killerman_2012
10-18-2015, 08:40 PM
Saying "present day will return" is misleading as it never technically went away. Of course thats going to make people think 3rd person character again.

this ^

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Of course thats going to make people think 3rd person character again.
But they already said that it's never gonna back to that...

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 08:43 PM
But they already said that it's never gonna back to that...

I know, but you can see why people would think that if they havent looked for every piece of information. They contradict.

Modern day will return - It never went away, just the 3rd person aspect.
There will be no 3rd person character for MD - Well why say the first?

VoXngola
10-18-2015, 08:52 PM

I'm the as you, except for the angry part. I'm not mad or disappointed anymore, I had my fair share of that in the past. Now, I really couldn't care less. So what I'm gonna say is from MD fan to MD fan: Forget it. Just take a look at your post man, the damage so to speak is already done. There is no point in hoping that the "old" AC will ever return. Face it, whether you like it or not this reality.

AC is now what most of its buyers always wanted it to be, a pure historical action adventure game. There is little stuff going in the games, and more stuff in other mediums like comics and now movies. This is Ubisoft's answer. The "hardcore" fans, the people you mean atleast, have their lore, the MD and mystery aspects and whatever in other mediums. The games appeal to the others, those who couldn't care less about it in the games.

Accept this and move forward. I know how you feel, but this will make you feel better. And you also learnt a lesson with this: don't trust PR talk.

Whether you like what happened to AC story/lorewise is another matter. Just know that it exists, but not in the games anymore.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I know, but you can see why people would think that if they havent looked for every piece of information. They contradict.

But they're supposedly liars, so why did anyone believe them again? What happened to cautiously optimistic?

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:05 PM

Exactly because that's the only element of MD that went away!

ModernWaffle
10-18-2015, 09:11 PM
So, you played the entire game? What do you think of this article? Was it the truth or lies? http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-syndicate-will-bring-back-present-/1100-6429309/

Forgot about that article, good reminder and this helps to clarify what Ubisoft were initially alluding to about MD few months before.

I agree with pacmanate here, whilst it's true they never said playable segments would return, they were definitely hinting that MD was returning in a sense that they are properly addressing it again.

From the article above:

'According to Cote, the games following Assassin's Creed 3, namely Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed Unity, were a transitionary period leading into the new narrative arc, which Assassin's Creed Syndicate will pick up

[IMO, this was an obvious lie from the get go since you only need one game for a transitionary period and that would've have been BF, but Rogue and Unity didn't start anything new and nor will Syndicate I expect]

...Cote went on to say Assassin's Creed Syndicate will once again give weight to the conflict between the series' two warring factions and meaning to the struggle for control over modern society.

...I can’t go into details about the present-day story, other than to say it is coming back, it is going to make sense for our players, and they’re going to understand the conflict between the Assassins and the Templars."

...One of the things that’s been super important for me and for the team is to make sure the player feels in the present-day story that he or she has importance.'

Of course for all we could know Syndicate's MD does provide proper progress, but knowing Ubisoft's track record, this is actually really unlikely; they've dropped modern day, it was vague in AC4 but Rogue and Unity really confirmed this. It's easier for them to do this, by keeping each game as a self-contained story (both historical and MD), it's easier to pull off the annualisation of the games and draw in potential new fans every year - they are prioritising profits and sales over establishing an overarching story that can be critically approved by fans etc.

Whilst I have no expectations for MD and feel fine with how they are setting it out now (acknowledging that the AC franchise has fundamentally changed in its direction), I can comprehend why some fans are annoyed since Ubisoft can just clearly state that's its not going to return; but they keep dragging it out with vague comments from directors here and there, small cut scenes in-game and basically keep avoiding the matter. If they state it straight out that MD is gone there will be disappointment, but it ends there...instead it becomes a tedious process with doubt, expectation then disappointment in a constant cycle :p

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Regarding the main campaign - are Evie and jacob Templar orientated? By that I mean are they really concerned with liberating London from Templars or is the game just one big gang warfare simulator?

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Whilst I have no expectations for MD and feel fine with how they are setting it out now (acknowledging that the AC franchise has fundamentally changed in its direction), I can comprehend why some fans are annoyed since Ubisoft can just clearly state that's its not going to return; but they keep dragging it out with vague comments from directors here and there, small cut scenes in-game and basically keep avoiding the matter. If they state it straight out that MD is gone there will be disappointment, but it ends there...instead it becomes a tedious process with doubt, expectation then disappointment in a constant cycle :p

and as if this wasn't enough, they keep dragging out the half-assed MD story to release more games, so, apart from being fooled into thinking that an aspect of the game that you enjoyed might return, you still won't get the answers you seek because if Ubisoft start solving the pending plots too soon, they'll have to create new ones, and we all know that time isn't exactly on their side.

harsab
10-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Eh, I don't doubt that the modern day is gonna be filler garbage again, but all they saw is one cutscene, lol. Yeah, Marc overhyped it. Sixkeys and I knew this much, but all he said was that it's gonna be more prominent. He didn't say "HORY SHET GUYZ, DESMOND IZ GONNA BE BACK". Everyone at Ubisoft just said that it'll be more prominent. Maybe it will be, I dunno. Maybe things will happen. I mean, ACR Mutiplayer was the same way. The modern day story advanced in CGI cutscenes and it was pretty cool, why is everyone getting their panties in a twist?

Revelations was one of my favorite stories of the franchise & the MD on that game was quite boring towards the end. At first it was exciting with Clay & stuff but those weird missions desmond went on where he would look at his past were boring as hell. But the story was incredible. I'm thinking Syndicate will bring the same feeling.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Revelations was one of my favorite stories of the franchise & the MD on that game was quite boring towards the end. At first it was exciting with Clay & stuff but those weird missions desmond went on where he would look at his past were boring as hell. But the story was incredible. I'm thinking Syndicate will bring the same feeling.
No no, i'm talking about the Multiplayer modern day. Remember? With Vidic, Latetia and Daniel.

harsab
10-18-2015, 11:06 PM
No no, i'm talking about the Multiplayer modern day. Remember? With Vidic, Latetia and Daniel.

Yeah i know what you're on about where we play as an agent hired by the templars which i thought were rumored to be Otso Berg? but yeah i was just generally speaking.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Yeah i know what you're on about where we play as an agent hired by the templars which i thought were rumored to be Otso Berg? but yeah i was just generally speaking.
Yeah, it was revealed to be Otso.

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2015, 11:19 PM

But the Multiplayer MD was always that way, with the SP MD things are different, we already had 3 different styles: 3rd person unique character (Desmond saga, AC1~AC3), flying tablet (AC4~Rogue) and now cutscenes (ACU~Syndicate), and (at least) the (vocal) majority seems to prefer the way things were during AC1~AC3.

My biggest gripe isn't even with the style per se, but the fact that I am supposed to be protagonist, if they introduced another character like Desmond into this style, I wouldn't mind if the MD were all cutscenes if the story was interesting enough like during Desmond' saga, because play the role of someone using the animus, watching random people get all the action (during the MD) isn't fun.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:23 PM
But the Multiplayer MD was always that way, with the SP MD things are different, we already had 3 different styles: 3rd person unique character (Desmond saga, AC1~AC3), flying tablet (AC4~Rogue) and now cutscenes (ACU~Syndicate), and (at least) the (vocal) majority seems to prefer the way things were during AC1~AC3.
I'm not arguing about what started what or who prefers what right now, I'm just saying that ACR MP modern day advanced the storyline quite a bit and it was only cutscenes, so who knows? I personally don't care, as I said. I stopped investing in the modern day long ago.

dxsxhxcx
10-18-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm not arguing about what started what or who prefers what right now, I'm just saying that ACR MP modern day advanced the storyline quite a bit and it was only cutscenes, so who knows? I personally don't care, as I said. I stopped investing in the modern day long ago.

I know, but (IMO) the story advancing or not isn't really the problem here (at least not the bigger one), because all styles dragged out the story, the problem (IMO) is where we (as the protagonists) stand in it, people (or I, if you prefer that way) want to feel that what they are doing is important and want to be part of the action, as Desmond we escaped from an Abstergo facility, explored the Colosseum , killed Lucy, went all Matrix in ACR and ultimately saved the world, and now what? We are disposable, we spend the entire day in the animus, doing a task that anybody could do, literally watching people that we (as the new protagonist) don't even know get all the action, I know you don't care about the MD anymore, but comparing the two situations, which one do you think is more entertaining to watch/play? I prefer the former..

I believe my edited post above may make my reasoning more clear

My biggest gripe isn't even with the style per se, but the fact that I am supposed to be protagonist, if they introduced another character like Desmond into this style, I wouldn't mind if the MD were all cutscenes if the story was interesting enough like during Desmond' saga, because play the role of someone using the animus, watching random people get all the action (during the MD) isn't fun.

HDinHB
10-18-2015, 11:51 PM

The one where we got to ride in the cool Templar limo? That was awesome...the best part of multiplayer.

Yeah, it was revealed to be Otso.

I did not know that...so I am Otso Berg.

Sometimes I think Ubi did too. Cutscene MD could be more satisfying than wandering around reading other people's old emails.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 11:59 PM
The one where we got to ride in the cool Templar limo? That was awesome...the best part of multiplayer.
Yeah, I thought it was cool too. Only reason I played ACR Multiplayer.

I did not know that...so I am Otso Berg.
Yup.

Sometimes I think Ubi did too. Cutscene MD could be more satisfying than wandering around reading other people's old emails.
Oh they did, it's obvious by now. We'll see

which one do you think is more entertaining? I prefer the former..
What we do inside the animus. I really didn't care what we did as Desmond, because for most of the series, we were inside the animus. None of the things we did really felt significant because all the significant stuff was done inside the animus. I guess maybe that was just me taking the feeling of being important from the past, not modern day. I honestly did not care what I accomplished in modern day, because to me, modern day was all about the lore. Mysteries,information...etc. Everything action was the animus, the past. I do agree that investment without payoff is annoying.

TO_M
10-19-2015, 12:00 AM

Why can't we have both? AC1 for example had both. There were the scenes which you were "forced" to watch in between animus sessions and there were the conversations/emails that were optional.
So then you have the cutscenes to tel the people who don't care about MD at all a bit about what's going on, and the optional parts for the ones who are more interested in modern day.
Taking the cutscene route just seems to me like Ubi is taking the path of least resistance(again).

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Why can't we have both? AC1 for example had both. There were the scenes which you were "forced" to watch in between animus sessions and there were the conversations/emails that were optional.
So then you have the cutscenes to tel the people who don't care about MD at all a bit about what's going on, and the optional parts for the ones who are more interested in modern day.
Taking the cutscene route just seems to me like Ubi is taking the path of least resistance(again).

We can have whatever Ubi creates for us. Making a cutscene probably takes a lot more effort than writing some emails, so I'm not sure what you mean by "least resistance." Even I know how to write emails. Is that what caring about MD means? You buy a $400 console or even more expensive gaming rig and a $60 game to read emails? That's insulting. The old old Initiates site was better than that. The MD cutscenes M referred to were better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1akjsLTXX9E

Maybe more people would be interested in MD if MD was more interesting. We'll see what they come up with in Syndicate.

ze_topazio
10-19-2015, 12:37 AM
Bring back the flying tablet.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 12:45 AM
I believe my edited post above may make my reasoning more clear
It does clarify, thanks. I guess I see what you're saying, but how do you reckon they'd have intermissions? For example, lets say you'll be playing as Galina. The start could be like an attack or something, but then what? Loading screen and cutscene where she goes inside the animus? It could be a little awkward.

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 12:47 AM
Bring back the flying tablet.

<insert vomit gif here>

I think making you play bad frogger on your flying tablet so you could unlock emails to read *might* be even more insulting. :rolleyes:

TO_M
10-19-2015, 12:59 AM
We can have whatever Ubi creates for us. Making a cutscene probably takes a lot more effort than writing some emails, so I'm not sure what you mean by "least resistance." Even I know how to write emails. Is that what caring about MD means? You buy a $400 console or even more expensive gaming rig and a $60 game to read emails? That's insulting. The old old Initiates site was better than that. The MD cutscenes M referred to were better than that.

Maybe more people would be interested in MD if MD was more interesting. We'll see what they come up with in Syndicate.

You know the optional parts don't always have to be emails right? Those were just an example. AC1 also had conversations. My point was that Ubisoft is too lazy (maybe that would have been a better word to use ) to also implement an optional part for the people who are very interested in modern day developments, and that gameplay could be anything. Black Flag for instance had the nice puzzles and clips/sounds/letters. And since they're optional, nobody would be forcing you play through those parts.
I didn't buy my PS4 to look at cutscenes either, I bought it to play games, and reducing an aspect of a game that was once playable (or at least interactive) to mere cutscenes is insulting to the people who liked that aspect (how boring you might have found it.)

And I've seen one of the Syndicate MD cutscenes, wow so amazing, so very informative.
And while I appreciated the revelations MD cutscenes from the multiplayer, if they were the only MD developments we got during Revelations, I would guess that more people would have complained about a lack of Revelations Modern day gameplay/information.

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 01:06 AM
YT vidoes have been pulled down now. Took Ubi long enough.

dxsxhxcx
10-19-2015, 01:15 AM
It does clarify, thanks. I guess I see what you're saying, but how do you reckon they'd have intermissions? For example, lets say you'll be playing as Galina. The start could be like an attack or something, but then what? Loading screen and cutscene where she goes inside the animus? It could be a little awkward.

I think It would be similar to what we had in the Desmond saga (sometimes Galina would leave the animus to discuss twhat they found with the group, something she would go in a "mission" here and there and then go back to the Animus), it might look like a bad thing, but I think this cutscene approach would give them more freedom to deliver a decent story.

Because, IMO the problem with the MD during the Desmond saga is that people was expecting the MD to provide the exact same experience the historical sessions did, IMO this isn't possible without turning the MD into a shooter or making it linear, two things that I believe no one would like (I wouldn't mind if it was linear as long as it had a decent story though).

The main problem with this (cutscene) approach would be the lenght of these cutscenes, while I don't mind watching a 20 minutes cutscene, many people do (this is a game after all), so it may be tricky to find the perfect balance between the animus sessions and proper MD sequences with enough screen time to deliver a good story.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 01:23 AM
I think It would be similar to what we had in the Desmond saga (sometimes Galina would leave the animus to discuss twhat they found with the group, something she would go in a "mission" here and there and then go back to the Animus), it might look like a bad thing, but I think this cutscene approach would give them more freedom to deliver a decent story.

Because, IMO the problem with the MD during the Desmond saga is that people was expecting the MD to provide the exact same experience the historical sessions did, IMO this isn't possible without turning the MD into a shooter or making it linear, two things that I believe no one would like (I wouldn't mind if it was linear as long as it had a decent story though).

The main problem with this (cutscene) approach would be the lenght of these cutscenes, while I don't mind watching a 20 minutes cutscene, many people do (this is a game after all), so it may be tricky to find the perfect balance between the animus sessions and proper MD sequences with enough screen time to deliver a good story.
How about this: There'd be a start, middle and end cutscenes with the modern day, interrupting the past sessions. You'd be a character like Galina for example and events would happen in the 3 obligatory cutscenes. Now the kicker would be that there would be more cutscenes, but they're optional. There could be an exit the animus button and if you choose to do it, you'd see extra dialogue with characters like Rebecca or William. Do you think this could work?

dxsxhxcx
10-19-2015, 01:50 AM
How about this: There'd be a start, middle and end cutscenes with the modern day, interrupting the past sessions. You'd be a character like Galina for example and events would happen in the 3 obligatory cutscenes. Now the kicker would be that there would be more cutscenes, but they're optional. There could be an exit the animus button and if you choose to do it, you'd see extra dialogue with characters like Rebecca or William. Do you think this could work?

Good idea, assuming these optional non-intrusive cutscenes wouldn't have relevant information that would make certain events in the following "obligatory" cutscenes feel out of place for those who didn't watch them, it would be tricky, but it could work..

I'm of the opinion that even these 3 obligatory cutscenes should be skippable, people would still be forced to leave the animus, because these are the "main" cutscenes, but once they began, the players would have the option to skip them and go back to the animus, I don't see the point in forcing people to watch them if they don't like or don't care about the MD (Ubisoft could allow us to watch them again via pause menu or the main menu)..

What do you think about this:

I actually liked Black Flag's MD a lot and I love Time Anomalies in UNITY...

Nothing against the time anomalies, when I say that I want the MD removed, I'm talking about the plots (Juno, Sages, Assassins x Templars war during the MD, etc) and not the whole premise behind reliving memories, they could sell the games as Abstergo products for example, to justify the HUD and all that, but with no MD sequences, time anomalies could still be used in the game and be considered glitches in the system (at least this way it wouldn't feel like they're being shoehorned into every game).

I think many people wouldn't like it at first, there are people that don't care about the MD but see in it the excuse for the things mentioned above (HUD, etc), IMO this is an acceptable excuse for that (if they don't care about the MD, there's no point in having a complex history in it), then we have those who want the MD to be more prominent again, people who aren't pleased with the current MD state, but IMO this isn't going to happen anytime soon (if ever again), there would be chaos, but I believe that eventually most people would end up accepting this approach, because at least this way, they wouldn't have to be afraid of the MD not fulfilling their expectations.

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 01:58 AM
You know the optional parts don't always have to be emails right? Those were just an example. AC1 also had conversations. My point was that Ubisoft is too lazy (maybe that would have been a better word to use ) to also implement an optional part for the people who are very interested in modern day developments, and that gameplay could be anything. Black Flag for instance had the nice puzzles and clips/sounds/letters. And since they're optional, nobody would be forcing you play through those parts.
I didn't buy my PS4 to look at cutscenes either, I bought it to play games, and reducing an aspect of a game that was once playable (or at least interactive) to mere cutscenes is insulting to the people who liked that aspect (how boring you might have found it.)

And I've seen one of the Syndicate MD cutscenes, wow so amazing, so very informative.
And while I appreciated the revelations MD cutscenes from the multiplayer, if they were the only MD developments we got during Revelations, I would guess that more people would have complained about a lack of Revelations Modern day gameplay/information.

I know the MD should consist of more than emails, but I think Ubi forgot. I saw the first couple minutes of the video, and I'm already more satisfied with the MD in Syndicate than in Unity.

The MP cutscenes were pretty much the only MD developments we got during ACR--the only other juicy bits were in the DLC.

Most of the modern day in AC1 was cutscenes, or cutscenes disguised as interactive QTEs, even Subject 16's blood message. Other than that you could only wander around the lab and Desmond's cell (I wish my bathroom was as nice as that). And it was vastly superior to anything we've had in the last few games.

AC2, ACB, and AC3 had increasingly playable Desmond, but most of the "cool" and "important" stuff (not necessarily "fun" stuff), especially in AC2 and ACB, were still cutscenes or quasi-cutscenes:

AC2 - Ezio's meets Minerva (cutscene)
ACB - Desmond kills Lucy's clone (quasi-interactive cutscene)
AC3 - Desmond's clone sacrifices himself to save the world (cutscene)
The "fun" stuff, like Desmond's free running in ACB and AC3, those days may be gone for good.

I think you're underestimating what can be--and what has--been accomplished with properly done cutscenes.

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 02:23 AM
Good idea, assuming these optional non-intrusive cutscenes wouldn't have relevant information that would make certain events in the following "obligatory" cutscenes feel out of place for those who didn't watch them, it would be tricky, but it could work..

I'm of the opinion that even these 3 obligatory cutscenes should be skippable, people would still be forced to leave the animus, because these are the "main" cutscenes, but once they began, the players would have the option to skip them and go back to the animus, I don't see the point in forcing people to watch them if they don't like or don't care about the MD (Ubisoft could allow us to watch them again via pause menu or the main menu)..

This is worth spending some time thinking about. I would settle for two "obligatory" bookend cutscenes at the beginning and end of the game. The first could be fairly short (< 5 minutes) and the epilogue longer (~10 minutes). If there was a natural intermission in the historical section (like the Haytham to Connor transition), they could throw in a cutscene there too. Other clips could either be given away as progress is made in the game, or unlocked by completing challenges (like the glyphs from AC2, or the helix rifts in Unity, or by completing tombs--anything to get tombs back). They could even make the model in the helix rifts match the MD avatar.

If they added enough of that kind of content, they could even sprinkle in some emails and audio recordings without it getting boring.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 02:28 AM
This is worth spending some time thinking about. I would settle for two "obligatory" bookend cutscenes at the beginning and end of the game. The first could be fairly short (< 5 minutes) and the epilogue longer (~10 minutes). If there was a natural intermission in the historical section (like the Haytham to Connor transition), they could throw in a cutscene there too. Other clips could either be given away as progress is made in the game, or unlocked by completing challenges (like the glyphs from AC2, or the helix rifts in Unity, or by completing tombs--anything to get tombs back). They could even make the model in the helix rifts match the MD avatar.

If they added enough of that kind of content, they could even sprinkle in some emails and audio recordings without it getting boring.

What do you think about this:

I think many people wouldn't like it at first, there are people that don't care about the MD but see in it the excuse for the things mentioned above (HUD, etc), IMO this is an acceptable excuse for that (if they don't care about the MD, there's no point in having a complex history in it), then we have those who want the MD to be more prominent again, people who aren't pleased with the current MD state, but IMO this isn't going to happen anytime soon (if ever again), there would be chaos, but I believe that eventually most people would end up accepting this approach, because at least this way, they wouldn't have to be afraid of the MD not fulfilling their expectations.

I agree with all of this. They could combine all the introduced modern day vehicles like Helix Rifts, Glyphs, Cutscenes, Emails and Audio recordings to make a cohesive and full modern day story line, but it would still retain the same set up as in Unity. That flying camera from AC III could be used for the player to see action sequences in cutscenes. So that whoever wants to invest in Modern Day can do so, and whoever is not interested can ignore all of that. I don't think it'll sit well with EVERYONE, but it could be worth talking about and bringing up.

dxsxhxcx
10-19-2015, 02:45 AM
I think you're underestimating what can be--and what has--been accomplished with properly done cutscenes.

I agree, IMO AC1 is among the best MD we had during the Desmond' saga, given the situation we were in, it revealed interesting bits about lore and used its available space very well..

ShoryukenMan
10-19-2015, 05:15 AM
I know the MD should consist of more than emails, but I think Ubi forgot. I saw the first couple minutes of the video, and I'm already more satisfied with the MD in Syndicate than in Unity.

The MP cutscenes were pretty much the only MD developments we got during ACR--the only other juicy bits were in the DLC.

Most of the modern day in AC1 was cutscenes, or cutscenes disguised as interactive QTEs, even Subject 16's blood message. Other than that you could only wander around the lab and Desmond's cell (I wish my bathroom was as nice as that). And it was vastly superior to anything we've had in the last few games.

AC2, ACB, and AC3 had increasingly playable Desmond, but most of the "cool" and "important" stuff (not necessarily "fun" stuff), especially in AC2 and ACB, were still cutscenes or quasi-cutscenes:

AC2 - Ezio's meets Minerva (cutscene)
ACB - Desmond kills Lucy's clone (quasi-interactive cutscene)
AC3 - Desmond's clone sacrifices himself to save the world (cutscene)
The "fun" stuff, like Desmond's free running in ACB and AC3, those days may be gone for good.

What do you mean by "clone" Desmond, and "clone" Lucy?

HDinHB
10-19-2015, 05:42 AM
What do you mean by "clone" Desmond, and "clone" Lucy?

You didn't know?
Desmond and Lucy aren't dead. Abstergo created clones of them and replaced the real ones with the clones at different times. Real Desmond killed clone Lucy (unbeknownst to him) in ACB. Clone Desmond died at the end of AC3. Real Desmond and Lucy are held captive in a secret Abstergo facility. This will all be revealed in the final game. Source: headcanon.

ACZanius
10-19-2015, 06:14 AM
You didn't know?
Desmond and Lucy aren't dead. Abstergo created clones of them and replaced the real ones with the clones at different times. Real Desmond killed clone Lucy (unbeknownst to him) in ACB. Clone Desmond died at the end of AC3. Real Desmond and Lucy are held captive in a secret Abstergo facility. This will all be revealed in the final game. Source: headcanon.

WHAT A **** OMG **** OH **** **** WHAT OH MAN IS THIS REAL LIFE?? ****ING HELL SORRY FOR CUSSING I EXPLODED OMFG IS THAT REAL LIFE?? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG FANBOY LEVEL OVER 1000000 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh my **** wow, i don't care if that's a spoiler i think i just got spark of AC once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLS TELL ME THAT IS NOT A TROLL??? FROM SYNDICATE LEAKEDS INFO??

@HDinHB
@HDinHB plssss

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 09:26 AM
You didn't know?

Very cruel post :(

harsab
10-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Did you just reveal a very big spoiler? Or are you trolling? @HdinHB

dxsxhxcx
10-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Did you just reveal a very big spoiler? Or are you trolling? @HdinHB

Here:

Source: headcanon.

harsab
10-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Here:

I didn't read the spoiler i read his earlier post when he said ''clone''...lol oh god i'm so cautious of spoilers recently i'm believing anything lol..

breakdownthewall
10-19-2015, 05:00 PM

I seriously feel your pain, man. And anyone else who feels the same way.
It is painful to see what has become of Assassin's Creed.
There seems to be a serious lack of emphasis on the purpose of RELIVING these memories. Seriously, If there is no modern-day story, then there is no Animus/Helix/Reliving memories. Now I know they're still presenting a half-assed version of MD in Syndicate, but they don't really give a damn about it.

breakdownthewall
10-19-2015, 05:04 PM
That is awfully specific, but no. Hardcore fans are ones who invested in the series for a long time and continue to do so. Not what you dictate what a hardcore fan is, lol. That's ridiculous.

There may be different hardcore fans with different tastes, but they're certainly not those who simply invest in the series for a long time and continue to do so. I consider myself to be a hardcore fan because I have loved the series since its inception for various reasons, but I wouldn't invest in the series anymore. I don't have to take their crap.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 05:07 PM
but they're certainly not those who simply invest in the series for a long time and continue to do so.
Yes, it is. It's the most general definition, so it's the most objective.

I consider myself to be a hardcore fan because I have loved the series since its inception for various reasons
Then...

but I wouldn't invest in the series anymore. I don't have to take their crap.
Well, if you drop the series, then you're no longer a fan, let alone hardcore. It's just common sense. You can't say "I'm a hardcore AC fan" if you don't even play them anymore.

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Man, I can't remember ever having seen a movie that had a good plot, am I right? :p

Relax guys. Unity's MD sections didn't suck because they were cinematics. They sucked because they were pointless. The medium of story telling, in this case, may still be redeemed by the story that is told.

I get it, I'd rather have a more "Desmond"-like section too- but it seems like that's not gonna happen. No reason to completely lose faith, though!

breakdownthewall
10-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes, it is. It's the most general definition, so it's the most objective.

Then...

Well, if you drop the series, then you're no longer a fan, let alone hardcore. It's just common sense. You can't say "I'm a hardcore AC fan" if you don't even play them anymore.

I am a fan. I love good Assassin's Creed games and I would still play them. That makes me a fan.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 05:27 PM
I am a fan. I love good Assassin's Creed games and I would still play them. That makes me a fan.
I know that. I'm saying if you stop and drop the series then you're not really a fan anymore, right? If you don't listen to Eminem, then you're not a fan, no? That's all i'm saying.

breakdownthewall
10-19-2015, 05:29 PM
I know that. I'm saying if you stop and drop the series then you're not really a fan anymore, right? If you don't listen to Eminem, then you're not a fan, no? That's all i'm saying.

Yeah, you're right. I just haven't been able to drop the series completely, and I still find myself playing older games.
Even if I am I fan, I don't think I will be for very long...

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Yeah, you're right. I just haven't been able to drop the series completely, and I still find myself playing older games.
Even if I am I fan, I don't think I will be for very long...
And that's totally fine. I'm not really one to make a distinction between new comers, old comers, people who are on and off, I don't really care. Labels and whatnot are completely pointless and serve only an elitist minority who wish to give more credence to their views and opinions.

SteelCity999
10-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Maybe the modern day will pick back up after the movie is released. Seeing as how the movie is not a retread of the games, maybe an entirely new MD will be born and the games will pick up after that? Don't they have to fit the movie in as canon?

ShoryukenMan
10-19-2015, 08:48 PM
^^That's actually a good point. We know there will be some MD in the movie so it could popularize it if it's a hit. The key word being "could."

Honestly though, if the movie turns out to be pretty good, and Syndicate bombs, I might just stick with the movies and give up on the games. My loyalty to a franchise operates on a "three strikes and your out" sort of thing. Unity was strike one for me. Not having an overarching, playable modern day is more like a foul ball... which actually counts as a strike on the first two pitches... but I'm ok with that as long as the historical story is really good.

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Maybe the modern day will pick back up after the movie is released. Seeing as how the movie is not a retread of the games, maybe an entirely new MD will be born and the games will pick up after that? Don't they have to fit the movie in as canon?

Maybe.
But what scare me about that is that the movie may be for the fans, but they're going to want to also make it watchable for someone who hasn't played a minute of any of the games, too. I don't know how they're going to throw in Juno, Abstergo, sages, the Initiates, Project Legacy (or whatever it was called, from Unity)... all the modern day stuff into one movie, along with an Inquisition era plot, and make it coherent and comprehensible.

I'm afraid the games will tie in with the movie more, but only because the games' MD plots have been dumbed down (as we can already see happening in Unity...)
I guess we'll have our answer, for better or for worse, at the end of the week.

RVSage
10-19-2015, 08:56 PM
From what I have seen, in sequences 1-4 modern day is better than unity, to say the least

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 08:58 PM
From what I have seen, in sequences 1-4 modern day is better than unity, to say the least

Unity set the bar very low.

RVSage
10-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Unity set the bar very low.

I agree on that, but not to spoil things. There is some action and expansion to what is really going on. But sad it is not playable. But to me MD being playable is not a necessity.

EmptyCrustacean
10-19-2015, 09:12 PM
I agree on that, but not to spoil things. There is some action and expansion to what is really going on. But sad it is not playable. But to me MD being playable is not a necessity.

I watched it! I don't see the point in preserving my surprise anymore since I've been bummed out when it was announced to be non playable. I'm so upset. Additionally, I have not been impressed with sequence 1 to 4 so far. Even Unity had a more fresh, cinematic beginning. Syndicate's story feels rushed and lacking any depth.

RVSage
10-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I watched it! I don't see the point in preserving my surprise anymore since I've been bummed out when it was announced to be non playable. I'm so upset. Additionally, I have not been impressed with sequence 1 to 4 so far. Even Unity had a more fresh, cinematic beginning. Syndicate's story feels rushed and lacking any depth.

Hmm , In my opinion, they were fine. (Remember you are not playing it yourself still, that adds a dimension and gives you the complete feel).

Layytez
10-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Gameplay or no gameplay it needs more content than we have previously had. I have no problems with cutscenes and documents but they have to be packed with info.

strigoi1958
10-19-2015, 10:54 PM
I think if it was done like BF but with very subtle clues and easter eggs that needed to be found in offices by looking at book titles and paintings and then finding an interactive disc to reveal secret information about Juno, Minerva, MD templars and activists and secrets about historical assassins/ templars.. it would give a sense of being playable while giving lots of story for those who work out the clues to find it... failing that.. MD must be engaging... it must have purpose, in order to appeal to a bigger audience.

DeceivingEric
10-20-2015, 12:43 AM
I bet the modern day will be playable in the games following the movie release. Fassbender's gonna play both past and present characters, so it must means the games' MD will have to stand up as well as the movie's. Hope I'm right but still, not that much.

Personnaly, I can't be satisfied with a MD made of cutscenes when I got AC games with a playable and engaging MD and an actual character (yeah, I actually liked Desmond, personal opinion). I don't know why they still try to break the fourth wall thinking it's good, but it's cheap. Info and documents are great, but they have to be useful, and useful in the game itself would be better, not having to wait an entire year to be tell that it's been useful for an off-screen story (I don't pay 69$ for that). If they could make a new main character to follow for the MD, I'd already consider it as a big step foward, but for now, Syndicate's only seems like a small step ahead of Unity's.

m4r-k7
10-20-2015, 12:46 AM
2016 is going to be the year of Japan and a new MD protagonist, mark my words :rolleyes:

RA503
10-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Let's see if I undestand,before we are a flying tablet now we are :

a flying camera ?

HDinHB
10-20-2015, 02:26 AM
WHAT A **** OMG **** OH **** **** WHAT OH MAN IS THIS REAL LIFE?? ****ING HELL SORRY FOR CUSSING I EXPLODED OMFG IS THAT REAL LIFE?? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG FANBOY LEVEL OVER 1000000 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh my **** wow, i don't care if that's a spoiler i think i just got spark of AC once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLS TELL ME THAT IS NOT A TROLL??? FROM SYNDICATE LEAKEDS INFO??

@HDinHB
@HDinHB plssss

:) I've been espousing that theory since I started posting here. Exciting, isn't it? Someday Ubi will realize how brilliant it is and make it true. Until then, it's true to me. And tumblr.

Radman500
10-20-2015, 04:25 AM
is another unnamed 1st person protagonist

sigh

VoXngola
10-20-2015, 04:36 AM
hey I missed you man

Hans684
10-20-2015, 05:14 AM
If we are gonna get cutscene MD, then they should pull a MGS by giving long cutscenes. Better than nothing.

strigoi1958
10-20-2015, 05:34 AM
2016 is going to be the year of Japan and a new MD protagonist, mark my words :rolleyes:

there's been so many rumours about a far east setting.... this wouldn't surprise me ... you should mark this post so ytou can say you predicted it . :)

@DeceivingEric that is a good point... I wonder how much the films success has on the direction of the series... unless they do a spin off like freedom cry

SixKeys
10-20-2015, 05:56 AM

I don't really agree with that. I think a distinction can be made between someone who is only a fan of certain albums and a fan who will always listen to Eminem no matter what. We have fans here who happily admit they will keep on buying AC titles as long as Ubi is making them, with no guarantee for quality. And then we have fans who only like AC1 through ACR, AC3 through Rogue, people who only liked AC2 and AC4, etc. They're fans too. If I quit the series tomorrow, I would still be a fan of AC1-ACB. Just like some people are only a fan of Eminem's early albums but not a fan of his current stuff.

X_xWolverinEx_X
10-20-2015, 07:56 AM
its better than unitys even if its the samething...im fine with it

SenseHomunculus
10-20-2015, 03:25 PM
is another unnamed 1st person protagonist

sigh

Spoiler tags on the title, please.

VestigialLlama4
10-20-2015, 03:29 PM
There's already a forum to b-tch about Syndicate's MD, don't add to it.

EmptyCrustacean
10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
There's already a forum to b-tch about Syndicate's MD, don't add to it.

where?

Moultonborough
10-20-2015, 03:34 PM
where?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299260-It-s-now-official-Modern-Day-is-NOT-playable-*SPOILERS*

locketcoket
10-20-2015, 06:58 PM
To be honest, I still have hope for at least one playable modern day mission after watching the MD Cutscene at the end of Sequence 4.

In the cutscene, it shows Shaun and Rebecca getting away. Then they say that they'll need help to feet the Shroud. Bishop then says after the initiate (you) finish all the memories. so to me there's hope.

VitoAuditore
10-20-2015, 07:10 PM
thanks for the spoiler, radman -.- . minor spoiler, but still...

bitebug2003
10-20-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm glad Bishop is back - could listen to her voice all day :) *blush*

ETA: Existing thread

bitebug2003
10-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Remember Spoilers should be tagged.

THREAD TITLES or POSTS!! --- Fair warning

this will be merged with the other Modern Day thread

Merging.....

ETA: Merged Thread (hence double post).

EmptyCrustacean
10-20-2015, 11:52 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299260-It-s-now-official-Modern-Day-is-NOT-playable-*SPOILERS*

Oh, V meant 'thread'.

IceBlood_34
10-21-2015, 10:31 PM
To be honest, I still have hope for at least one playable modern day mission after watching the MD Cutscene at the end of Sequence 4.

In the cutscene, it shows Shaun and Rebecca getting away. Then they say that they'll need help to feet the Shroud. Bishop then says after the initiate (you) finish all the memories. so to me there's hope.

Link Please.

Layytez
10-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Link Please.
Check inbox.

bitebug2003
10-22-2015, 12:16 AM
This was posted

'Get caught up on the Assassin's Creed present-day story so far with this helpful guide' http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-the-present-day-story-so-far/

RA503
10-22-2015, 01:02 AM
Check inbox.

PM me as well please...

A guy on reddit post that the game ends with a battle between the assassins and the templars,and the templars recovery the shroud,da costa works for juno,this spoiler is true ?

sorry for the double post was a accident ...

bitebug2003
10-22-2015, 01:07 AM
PM me as well please...

A guy on reddit post that the game ends with a battle between the assassins and the templars,and the templars recovery the shroud,da costa works for juno,this spoiler is true ?

sorry for the double post was a accident ...

no problem - they've been merged :)

Layytez
10-22-2015, 05:44 AM
Pm me for a link to all modern day cutscenes.

VestigialLlama4
10-22-2015, 07:57 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3p6680/syndicate_leaks_modern_day_and_everything_else/

The completed AC SYNDICATE MODERN DAY CUTSCENES is on YouTube...MUCH SPOILERS AHOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMUjH5neo0&feature=youtu.be

By the time you see this video, it will likely have been deleted.

So to summarize here is what happens.

Shaun and Rebecca are in London searching for Shroud. Otso Berg and Da Costa, morons from ROGUE, accompany Isabelle Ardent and there is a fight and then Shaun and Rebecca escape via Leap of Faith.

Then they spend the rest of the game in hiding. Until Galina Voronina shows up and she's nice I guess.

Then they wait till Initiate finds out where the Piece of Eden is.

Then they go to the Vault, won't tell you where it is, and fight Isabelle, Otso Berg and Da Costa. It is highly anti-climactic. Voronina kicks Otso Berg's a-s, Shaun tases Ardant, Da Costa shoots at Shaun but Rebecca takes the bullet, she's unconscious but it seems she's alive. Abstergo team close in and the MD Assassins disappear into the night and the Templars take the Shroud of Eden with them.

Final scene shows us that Alvaro Grammatica, Spanish Mad Scientist is building a clone (because cloning was all that was missing) for a Precursor body. Then Violet reveals that she's been Juno's b-tch all this time and she's an "Instrument". DUN DUN DUN.

So slightly less pointless than UNITY and ROGUE on the whole. At the end of Black Flag, it was about the Sages, about finding First Civilization Blood Vials, in Rogue-Unity, it was still about finding sages but you also had Phoenix Project silliness and other mumbo jumbo in the background that does not build on the plotline. Now we have cloning...excellent.

Say what you want about Desmond Saga plotline, when it made a switch from Satellite Launch to Solar Flare, it stuck to its second choice. Here that isn't the case.

Layytez
10-22-2015, 08:02 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3p6680/syndicate_leaks_modern_day_and_everything_else/

The completed AC SYNDICATE MODERN DAY CUTSCENES is on YouTube...MUCH SPOILERS AHOY

Shaun and Rebecca are in London searching for Shroud. Otso Berg and Da Costa, morons from ROGUE, accompany Isabelle Ardent and there is a fight and then Shaun and Rebecca escape via Leap of Faith.

Then they spend the rest of the game in hiding. Until Galina Voronina shows up and she's nice I guess.

Then they go to the Vault, won't tell you where it is, and fight Isabelle, Otso Berg and Da Costa. It is highly anti-climactic. Voronina kicks Otso Berg's a-s, Shaun tases Ardant, Da Costa shoots at Shaun but Rebecca takes the bullet, she's unconscious but it seems she's alive. Abstergo team close in and then they all disappear into the night and take the Shroud of Eden with them.

Final scene shows us that Alvaro Grammatica, Spanish Mad Scientist is building a clone (because cloning was all that was missing) for a Precursor body. Then Violet reveals that she's been Juno's b-tch all this time and she's an "Instrument". DUN DUN DUN.

So slightly less pointless than UNITY and ROGUE on the whole.
More twists, more questions and more disappointment (and rendered some previous info pointless).

EmptyCrustacean
10-22-2015, 08:58 AM
The ending of the MD video is very good but ultimately doesn't progress anything. It would have been even better of it was playable!

dxsxhxcx
10-22-2015, 09:40 AM

Then they go to the Vault, won't tell you where it is, and fight Isabelle, Otso Berg and Da Costa. It is highly anti-climactic. Voronina kicks Otso Berg's a-s, Shaun tases Ardant, Da Costa shoots at Shaun but Rebecca takes the bullet, she's unconscious but it seems she's alive. Abstergo team close in and the MD Assassins disappear into the night and the Templars take the Shroud of Eden with them.

So slightly less pointless than UNITY and ROGUE on the whole. At the end of Black Flag, it was about the Sages, about finding First Civilization Blood Vials, in Rogue-Unity, it was still about finding sages but you also had Phoenix Project silliness and other mumbo jumbo in the background that does not build on the plotline. Now we have cloning...excellent.

Say what you want about Desmond Saga plotline, when it made a switch from Satellite Launch to Solar Flare, it stuck to its second choice. Here that isn't the case.

More twists, more questions and more disappointment (and rendered some previous info pointless).

to be honest, I can't say I wasn't expecting it...

SPOILERS ABOUT SYNDICATE'S MD
I kinda liked the MD after Galina appearance, even though she seemed to be too agile for my taste, it's funny how M and I were discussing about and all cutscene MD focusing on other characters a few days ago and now this happens, IMO it was a step in the right direction, but the MD was still odd though, they need to remove the Initiate from it, the main protagonist should be Galina and the story should focus on her, they should remove that camera as well, simply make the MD a movie between Galina's animus sessions.

about the MD still being odd, a few reasons why I think this way were stated by The Hollow above, Ubisoft is dragging this story on purpose and this is one of its biggest problems, I bet we'll only see them finishing the clone for Juno in 3 or 4 games, they also should pick a plot and stick with it, now we have a TWCB clone (what seemed to be the obvious course to take, after all Juno needs a body, I'm sure I made a post about this some months ago.. lol), but we still have Sages, Instruments of the First Will, etc, that certainly won't be properly developed in the next games, that's the problem with focusing in too many fronts at once, now the MD is all over the place making it hard to follow, another thing that felt weird as well was the ending, Rebecca got shot and then Bishop appear to talk to us as if nothing had happened, what is she, a robot? LOL

But, it was an improvement over Unity's MD (even though anything would've been an improvement over that ****), now IMO they should remove the Initiate (ourselves) and focus on Galina as the main protagonist, and if possible, try to make the scientist who appeared at the end a little more sober like Vidic was, mad scientist, really?

VestigialLlama4
10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
to be honest, I can't say I wasn't expecting it...

SPOILERS ABOUT SYNDICATE'S MD
I kinda liked the MD after Galina appearance, even though she seemed to be too agile for my taste, it's funny how M and I were discussing about and all cutscene MD focusing on other characters a few days ago and now this happens, IMO it was a step in the right direction, but the MD was still odd though, they need to remove the Initiate from it, the main protagonist should be Galina and the story should focus on her, they should remove that camera as well, simply make the MD a movie between Galina's animus sessions.

about the MD still being odd, a few reasons why I think this way were stated by The Hollow above, Ubisoft is dragging this story on purpose and this is one of its biggest problems, I bet we'll only see them finishing the clone for Juno in 3 or 4 games, they also should pick a plot and stick with it, now we have a TWCB clone (what seemed to be the obvious course to take, after all Juno needs a body, I'm sure I made a post about this some months ago.. lol), but we still have Sages, Instruments of the First Will, etc, that certainly won't be properly developed in the next games, that's the problem with focusing in too many fronts at once, now the MD is all over the place making it hard to follow, another thing that felt weird as well was the ending, Rebecca got shot and then Bishop appear to talk to us as if nothing had happened, what is she, a robot? LOL

But, it was an improvement over Unity's MD (even though anything would've been an improvement over that ****), now IMO they should remove the Initiate (ourselves) and focus on Galina as the main protagonist, and if possible, try to make the scientist who appeared at the end a little more sober like Vidic was, mad scientist, really?

You know what's the bet that Alvaro Grammatica introduces himself in next game by saying, "Hi evereebody!"

dxsxhxcx
10-22-2015, 10:40 AM
You know what's the bet that Alvaro Grammatica introduces himself in next game by saying, "Hi evereebody!"

I won't bet because I'll lose.. lol

It's a shame really, I think this kind of thing kinda makes the MD less believable, I loved how AC1 (and to an extent AC2) dealt with the whole TWCB thing in a more sober way, without much exaggeration, almost making me believe that what was happening could happen in the real world as well, but then the end of the world plot came, together with the chosen one fantasy and the MD started to fall apart, I'm not saying that they shouldn't have added those things, but adding them that soon and in the way they did made the story too predictable..

and now...
...we have a mad scientist and this Resident Evil feeling, once again putting my suspension of disbelief to a test

VestigialLlama4
10-22-2015, 10:52 AM
I won't bet because I'll lose.. lol

It's a shame really, I think this kind of thing kinda makes the MD less believable, I loved how AC1 (and to an extent AC2) dealt with the whole TWCB thing in a more sober way, without much exaggeration, almost making me believe that what was happening could happen in the real world as well, but then the end of the world plot came, together with the chosen one fantasy and the MD started to fall apart, I'm not saying that they shouldn't have added those things, but adding them that soon and in the way they did made the story too predictable..

and now...
...we have a mad scientist and this Resident Evil feeling, once again putting my suspension of disbelief to a test

The sad part is I actually liked Black Flag's MD. The implication was that you had this new threat of Juno and the Instruments. Assassins and Templars are actually taking a semi-vacation from the cloak and dagger stuff, rebuilding the brotherhood. And the implication going into UNITY was that eventually there would be a kind of truce between Assasins and Templars, but somewhere they took a right turn back and it's gotten totally derailed.

The trick is not to tell the same kind of story again. Desmond's story gave us all the stuff about Abstergo being bad guys, there's no need to make them Umbrella Corporation and keep them all the time. For one thing they are boring bad guys. The MD Templars were never as interesting as the historical templars.

Perk89
10-23-2015, 01:41 AM
Ubisost has been so obsessed with the possibility of more money that would come with newcomers that they have no qualms about alienating long-term fans.

It was a short-term cash grab that is coming back to bite them. You're driving longtime fans away, getting away from th formula that made your game good to begin with, and causing your longtime fans to spread bad word of mouth about the game, deterring newcomers and the inferior product keeping most newcomers away and not holding ono the ones that give you a shot.

Guess what Ubisoft? Your fans arent going to stop saying bad things about your game when you continue to disregard their interests and treat them poorly, and it isnt going to bring in new money, er um, fans.

If anything major happens in the game's stoyline via the method they did modern day, AGAIN, I'm going to be furious-as it will clearly be nothing but a poor effort to get past the story theyve set up and hopefully make their longtime fans shut up about it and just accept it. We've been waiting for years to take on Juno and the Templars in the MD-if they relegate those things to some garbage skit video then I'm going to be ill.

I've already elected to forego purchasing the game this year-if they try to "get past" the modern day section with some throwaway nonsense via cheap rehearsed videos, I don't think I'll ever come back.

Eziodagreat
10-23-2015, 05:06 AM
Sigh.. I wonder how many more games we will get of Juno saying "I am getting stronger... the world is not ready for my return..."

This will be the first AC game that I don't purchase first day of the release. Couldn't help myself from watching the MD cut scenes, and I got all the info (the stuff I care about) from the cut scenes. Until I know that Ubi has their s*** figured out and stop with this Initiate BS.

RVSage
10-23-2015, 05:36 AM

What I do not get is

They made all the effort to make a playable WW1 missions, Why can't they have done it to the cut scenes instead. Does not make sense. As you said it was not cohesive as well. I dunno who gave them idea of WW1 mission , it is cool agreed, they could have invested that effort in the MD and may be a more cohesive story, Ubi clearly has got it's writing messed up

VestigialLlama4
10-23-2015, 05:50 AM
What I do not get is

They made all the effort to make a playable WW1 missions, Why can't they have done it to the cut scenes instead. Does not make sense. As you said it was not cohesive as well. I dunno who gave them idea of WW1 mission , it is cool agreed, they could have invested that effort in the MD and may be a more cohesive story, Ubi clearly has got it's writing messed up

Well Time Anomalies was the one feature from UNITY that everyone unambiguously loved and it would be crazy for them to dump that. And you know that sequence also built up lore and background in a more extensive and interactive fashion than before, and handled the key subplot of Black Flag and Unity in a concise manner.

RVSage
10-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Well Time Anomalies was the one feature from UNITY that everyone unambiguously loved and it would be crazy for them to dump that. And you know that sequence also built up lore and background in a more extensive and interactive fashion than before, and handled the key subplot of Black Flag and Unity in a concise manner.

That is what i wonder should we consider these anomaly missions as MD?

VestigialLlama4
10-23-2015, 01:48 PM
That is what i wonder should we consider these anomaly missions as MD?

In Unity yes. But Syndicate it's more like a separate thing, a Tomb mission.

Senningiri_GR
10-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Well it think this takes the story a bit further doesn't it? Just I cannot see where...

I-Like-Pie45
10-23-2015, 07:56 PM
juno possesses a windows eight and then kills herself because she realized she possessed a windows eight

killerman_2012
10-26-2015, 05:14 AM
My Reaction Assassin's Creed Syndicate Modern Day xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyw1leXtBLU