PDA

View Full Version : Semi-untrained flyer questions

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
When discussing the fighting styles of different aircraft, I would assume that energy is speed and turning is turning, but angles?? was ist das?

Another question, I'm flying the I-16 type 24 in campaign and whenever I push over hard (negative G's) the engine dies. Two things about that-- is that a lack of fuel-injection? Can I restart the engine somehow?

And-- any helpful tips on fighting in the non-turning fighters? I rule in the quick turners (WWI style) but I get in the speedy ones and the vertical fighters and get fried.

THNX!

----->When in doubt, question your own abilities as a pilot *first*!<-----

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
When discussing the fighting styles of different aircraft, I would assume that energy is speed and turning is turning, but angles?? was ist das?

Another question, I'm flying the I-16 type 24 in campaign and whenever I push over hard (negative G's) the engine dies. Two things about that-- is that a lack of fuel-injection? Can I restart the engine somehow?

And-- any helpful tips on fighting in the non-turning fighters? I rule in the quick turners (WWI style) but I get in the speedy ones and the vertical fighters and get fried.

THNX!

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 04:08 AM
gruffdasquirt wrote:

- Another question, I'm flying the I-16 type 24 in
- campaign and whenever I push over hard (negative
- G's) the engine dies. Two things about that-- is
- that a lack of fuel-injection? Can I restart the
- engine somehow?

Few a/c like I-16/I-153/B-239/Finn Huri do not have fuel-injection. If you have enought luck... maybe you can restart the engine. But in offline the only changes is to press the 'A' key or 'Ctl E'.... lol.

Lt.Davis

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/apvg/tigerlogo01.jpg

**Speed is the KEY**

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 04:10 AM
I figured, but thanks for the info on the others... That whole "crtl-E" thing, I know that!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

eskimo-FHmod
08-16-2003, 04:42 AM
i would appreciate seeing answers to your questions as well.

also, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the roll rate that everybody talks about ? is that banking and rolling the plane over 360 degrees ?

<centerhttp://homepages.ihug.com.au/~peabody/ihugSig.jpg (http://www.fhmod.com)

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 05:51 AM
HA HA! A question I know the answer too! Yes, it is more or less the result of a non fuel injected engine. In a negitive g, the fuel no longer reaches the engine. The usual solution was to roll over prior to entering a dive.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 06:04 AM
Angles and Energy are two different styles of fighting. The angles fight (or turn and burn, T&B for short) favors low wing loading, tight turning aircraft like the I-153. It involves turning obviously, and mostly in a horizontal plane. Energy fighting (aka boom and zoom, or B&Z) involves both kinetic energy, or speed, and potential energy, or altitude, and trading between the two. It usually involves little turning, at least in the horizontal plane. High speed, fast climbing aircraft like the Fw-190D-9 are more favored for B&Z tactics.
The I-16, I-153 and Hurricane Mk I all have carburetted engines that are affected by negative g. After the patch, they should be restart-able in flight (I haven't tried this yet), while in the unpatched version of FB, the only way to start them was to dead stick land at a friendly airfield, then restart the engine. To avoid stopping the engine, don't push the stick forward so hard that the g level goes negative. To move the nose down, roll the aircraft so that "up" is now the direction you want the nose to go, and pull positive g to get there.

Blotto

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter craft, no matter how technically advanced." - A. Galland

"Look, do you want the jets, or would you rather I slap the props back on?" - W. Messerschmitt

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 07:38 AM
carbuerators suck.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 09:27 AM
gruffdasquirt wrote:
- Another question, I'm flying the I-16 type 24 in
- campaign and whenever I push over hard (negative
- G's) the engine dies. Two things about that-- is
- that a lack of fuel-injection? Can I restart the
- engine somehow?

It is indeed the lack of fuel injection. Pulling negative Gs in these airplanes starves the engine of fuel and stops it. After the patch, it is possible to restart the engine in-flight or after landing at a friendly airbase (using the I key). Keep in mind that if you land the plane anywhere else you won't be able to start your engine again.

- And-- any helpful tips on fighting in the
- non-turning fighters? I rule in the quick turners
- (WWI style) but I get in the speedy ones and the
- vertical fighters and get fried.

You need to use your advantages. ie: don't try to get on an enemy's six by turning onto him. Instead, climb to altitude and wait for a good firing opportunity. When you have the chance, dive down on him, fire a couple of rounds and zoom back up to an altitude advantage. Whatever you do, don't try to slow down and stay on his six after diving on him, that way you're just giving up the advantage you had.

XyZspineZyX
08-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks all! This helps emmensely-- I do have a penchant for diving on a bandit and "braking" to stay on his tail... gotta cut that out I guess./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif