PDA

View Full Version : La-7 help needed

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 01:23 AM
what is the difference between the ShVAK cannons and the 3x 20mm B-20 cannons? I've finally narrowed my plane of choice down to the La-7 due to the joy of flying it. I can't shoot anyone down too well yet, but I need to know the difference in these two weapons so I can finalize my pick.

Thx in advance,
Forum Newb

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 01:23 AM
what is the difference between the ShVAK cannons and the 3x 20mm B-20 cannons? I've finally narrowed my plane of choice down to the La-7 due to the joy of flying it. I can't shoot anyone down too well yet, but I need to know the difference in these two weapons so I can finalize my pick.

Thx in advance,
Forum Newb

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 01:43 AM
According to a "squadron/signal publications" book I have on the Lavochkin fighters, only 368 Berezin-armed La-7s made it to the front by the end of the war, so if history makes a difference to you, the percentage of 3X20 cannon-armed La's was very small.

The only other data I have is: the 3 Berezin cannons weighed 25 kg (55 pounds) apiece, whereas the 2 ShVAK cannons weighed 42 kg (99 pounds) apiece. The 2 ShVAK cannons together therefore actually weighed 33 pounds MORE than the 3 Berezin cannons. However, it's possible that the extra mounting apparatus needed for the 3 cannon version would make up the difference. I don't know about that. They used the same ammunition: the ShVAKS had 200 rounds per gun and the Berezins had 150 rounds apiece.

As far as FB goes, I personally find the 3-cannon version of the La-7 a little more sluggish and more prone to spins, although this might just be me. In the sim I prefer to fly the 2-cannon variety, although Soviet pilots very much welcomed the extra cannon, according to my book.

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Try both versions out & see which one seems luckiest for you !

Janacek wrote:
- According to a "squadron/signal publications" book I
- have on the Lavochkin fighters, only 368
- Berezin-armed La-7s made it to the front by the end
- of the war,

I'm looking for a good book on Lavochkin fighters. Does the squadron signal book have many pages of text or is it more of a photo book with a few pages of info thrown in ?

I really like the Red Satr series book on the Yaks 7 would like something similar on the Laggs & La 's

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 02:17 AM
It doesn't matter to much what the real planes did. In FB the 2 cannon version performs better. That makes it a no brainer for me. The patch may change things though.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/hartm1-2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 03:16 AM
thx alot guys.

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 05:02 AM
Saburo--
The Squadron Signal Publications books are very much hard-data oriented, with only a few good pictures. You'll learn things from them you never thought you wanted to know. The La 5/7 book in the series is by Hans-Heiri Stapfer, and is "Aircraft Number 169" in the series. I do recommend it.

XyZspineZyX
07-01-2003, 05:46 AM
Janacek,
Thank you, hard to find such books locally & when ordering over the web ya can't usually flip thru the pages.

Happy Flying!

"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this earth." -Roberto Clemente