PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Ubisoft Fails- TGN

EmbodyingSeven5
10-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I thought the video made some good points overall. I was wondering about all of your guys opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PvYhJKIOw

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 02:45 AM
Because Ubisoft games are the only ones that suffer from downgrades, bad frame rate, DRM and glitches. Right. And for pete's sake, every open world is set up the same way and every developer reuses assets from their games. "Educated gamers". I wont even the address the bullocks about "It's the same game"

Namikaze_17
10-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Because only an inferior insect like you would craft such a thread...

GunnarGunderson
10-16-2015, 05:06 AM
He makes some good points and I know I'd gladly see AC put into the hands of literally any other publisher that isn't Activision or EA (Good job, Ubisoft, you're not the worst).

Dunno why he's got a Battlefield soldier in the thumbnail.

VestigialLlama4
10-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Because Ubisoft games are the only ones that suffer from downgrades, bad frame rate, DRM and glitches. Right. And for pete's sake, every open world is set up the same way and every developer reuses assets from their games. "Educated gamers". I wont even the address the bullocks about "It's the same game"

Most gaming sites and gaming critics are pathetic snivelling man-children who even at their best moments could never make a game half as good as Ubisoft and AC on their worst days. So they basically take minor issues not typical or specific to Ubisoft entirely and apply it overall.

As for specific complaints about asset recycling, all you have to do is take a loot at Rockstar games which does much the same but because to most of these frothing-at-the-mouth types, that repetitive fantasy is meaningful they give Rockstar a pass. Rockstar actually innovates less between games than AC does between annual titles but good luck telling anybody that.

As for trailers not looking like the final game...well of course they don't. And in any case, Ubisoft's AC CGI trailers were far more honest with regards to gameplay than any other franchise.

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 06:51 AM
he makes some valid points.

ubi wankers out there won't accept this, though, and will eat him alive for the truths he mentioned, regardless.

that battlefield soldier thumbnail's purpose is to protect him...

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 07:40 AM
he makes some valid points.

ubi wankers out there won't accept this, though, and will eat him alive for the truths he mentioned, regardless.

His points are invalid when he's talking from a point of ignorance and when he only singles out Ubisoft. It's dishonest. Honesty is criticizing an entire practice and point it out in everyone. This is obviously not the intent of this video. This video is just to cash in on the hate that Ubisoft is receiving right now. Oooohh, Ubisoft fails? Clickity click click. That wankers remark better not be referring to me.

I-Like-Pie45
10-16-2015, 08:35 AM
gta 5 is exactly the same game as gta 4 just with less singer player support and stuff (continuing adventures of fmt coming soon lol) ad so is arkham knight with the previous games just with ****ty driving but you don't see people complaining about that

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 08:40 AM
His points are invalid when he's talking from a point of ignorance and when he only singles out Ubisoft. It's dishonest. Honesty is criticizing an entire practice and point it out in everyone. This is obviously not the intent of this video. This video is just to cash in on the hate that Ubisoft is receiving right now. Oooohh, Ubisoft fails? Clickity click click.
that may very well be the case. honestly, i agree, with these kinds of videos, it usually is - just click bait. doesn't mean that i still didn't find some of his points to be valid ones. (yes, i have been hating on ubi recently a bit myself, for my own reasons)

That wankers remark better not be referring to me.
i hadn't even read your post when i posted my first comment in this thread. the remark was referring to what i've seen from some forum members here so far in general, not you, but i can see how you could have interpreted it as such, having read your post. having also read vestigial's post in this thread, i could also see how he would have interpreted my post the same way too, but i wasn't referring to him either.

what if it was referring to you? what are you gonna' do? lol cry? i'm sorry if the comment offended you, but you aren't going to do anything

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 08:48 AM
that may very well be the case. honestly, i agree, with these kinds of videos, it usually is - just click bait. doesn't mean that i still didn't find some of his points to be valid ones. (yes, i have been hating on ubi recently a bit myself, for my own reasons)
The validity of his points are lost when the intention of the video is clear. I'll take the points from someone who's more transparent and honest.

i hadn't even read your post when i posted my first comment in this thread. the remark was referring to what i've seen from some forum members here so far in general, not you, but i can see how you could have interpreted it as such, having read your post. having also read vestigial's post in this thread, i could also see how he would have interpreted my post the same way too, but i wasn't referring to him either.
Just making sure.

what if it was referring to you? what are you gonna' do? lol cry? i'm sorry if the comment offended you, but you aren't going to do anything
I said it as a joke....

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 08:58 AM
The validity of his points are lost when the intention of the video is clear. I'll take the points from someone who's more transparent and honest.
no, they aren't lost (well, unless you completely disagree with all of the valid ones for whatever reasons). maybe lessened a bit knowing that he's obviously only doing this for my view, but not lost. he's pretty much pointing out crap everyone has pointed out at this point all which are valid and quite evident. i honestly don't much care what his intentions are. he was spot on for the most part, imo.

and i don't see how him singling out ubisoft changes much, unless the obvious dishonesty in his presentation had that profound an effect on you. guy still pointed some legit stuff

I said it as a joke....
yeah.

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 08:58 AM
I can't disagree with anything he says especially regarding Ubisoft showing a cool aspect of their games in their marketing and then it only ends up being a small portion of the final product. I gather that he's a fan that's simply had enough.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 09:12 AM
no, they aren't lost (well, unless you completely disagree with all of the valid ones for whatever reasons). maybe lessened a bit knowing that he's obviously only doing this for my view, but not lost. he's pretty much pointing out crap everyone has pointed out at this point all which are valid and quite evident. i honestly don't much care what his intentions are. he was spot on for the most part, imo.
You don't care, I care and a lot of others do. Just because he makes valid points doesn't mean I should endorse dishonesty. Like I said, i'll take the valid points from someone who's fair and honest.

and i don't see how him singling out ubisoft changes much
It does change a lot. Like I said, lots of other companies do the exact same things Ubisoft do, but for some reason, they all get a green pass. Not to mention that some "fails" are not even really fails. Reusing assets for example. That's not even a bad act that spread, it's literally an industry standard and it's been that way since the dawn of games. This is like saying "Oh doh, that movie used that same set from that other movie, bleeehhhh zoo fail" So not only dishonesty, but ignorance as well.

Sushiglutton
10-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Meh, thought the vid was kind of embarrassing tbh.

I do have a problem with some of the design ideas Ubi have for their open-world games. At the same time I can see the need to control cost while producing a massive amount of content. Unfortunately a lot of gamers seem very focused on quantity ("How big is the world?", "How many hours to do everything?" etc) which pushes companies in an unfortunate direction imo. That said I think R* do some things better in this regard as they let the world speak more for itself without being overly concerned about bombarding the player with 'content'.

I think Ubi has been a bit bullied lately and I really despise mob-behaviour. Like M said a lot of the things in the vid are industry issues. Ubi is singled out as that goes with the overall narrative of them being terrible at everything.

Finally I just wanna say that I really loved Valiant Hearts, which had a bit of that PoP-Ubisoft-fairytale-Magic I miss sometimes :D!

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 09:19 AM
You don't care
nope

I care and a lot of others do. Just because he makes valid points doesn't mean I should endorse dishonesty. Like I said, i'll take the valid points from someone who's fair and honest.

It does change a lot. Like I said, lots of other companies do the exact same things Ubisoft do, but for some reason, they all get a green pass. Not to mention that some "fails" are not even really fails. Reusing assets for example. That's not even a bad act that spread, it's literally an industry standard and it's been that way since the dawn of games. So not only dishonesty, but ignorance as well.
okay, okay, so you you acknowledge that a good majority of his points are valid and that your only gripes with these valid points are the dishonesty of the presenter, the singling out of ubisoft, and one point that you interpreted as ignorant?

so, all of that crap aside, you mostly agree with the man but won't take his valid points.

m'kay, whatevs.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 09:26 AM
okay, okay, so you you acknowledge that a good majority of his points are valid
Duh.

and that your only gripes with these valid points are the dishonesty of the presenter, the singling out of ubisoft
My "only" gripes are actually pretty important things.

and one point that you interpreted as ignorant?
There's no interpretation, it IS ignorant.

so, all of that crap aside
It's not really crap when it makes up a huge part of taking in information. This is a very famous channel and it's watched by a lot of people. Oh I'm sorry my objections are crap to you, but the fact remains that his points drop any validity when the information is presented the way it is. Even the people most critical of Ubisoft here agree that there's been a weird trend lately of singling out Ubisoft for things A LOT of other companies do but get free passes on.

m'kay, whatevs.
You're the one who replied to me.

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 09:43 AM
Duh.
good then. nothing else matters. everything else is extremely contrived and petty bs.

You're the one who replied to me.
duh. what's your point?

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Nothing else matters. everything else is extremely contrived and petty bs.
To you maybe. That's okay, though, I don't really care what you think :)

duh. what's your point?
My point was that I didnt goad you into replying to me, so your snide "mkay whatevs" makes no sense.

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 09:49 AM
To you maybe. That's okay, though, I don't really care what you think :)
cool beans.

My point was that I didnt goad you into replying to me, so your snide "mkay whatevs" makes no sense.
that wasn't the point of the remark, though. it was a shortened "okay, whatever you think, dude."

"you're the one who replied to me" is what makes no sense. i mean, i know that much.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 09:52 AM
"you're the one who replied to me" is what makes no sense. i mean, i know that much.
In short, if you'll make snide remarks and dismissive notions, then you're better off not replying at all in the first place.

I'm just gonna drop this now.

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 09:58 AM
In short, if you'll make snide remarks and dismissive notions, then you're better off not replying at all in the first place.
oh, i'm sorry, i was being petty.

I'm just gonna drop this now.
that's the best thing to do when faced with someone who's being petty.

i think i'll do the same.

ACZanius
10-16-2015, 12:10 PM
He has a point but i have long ago dropped the "ohh AC is so repetitive" BS, lmao every phucking game IS LITERALLY REPETITIVE IN IT'S OWN WAY, it is with very shame that i must make example and put AC in same basket but yeah, Fifa Is repetitive, LITERALLY you do same thing all over again, Call Of Duty god don't get me started there, it's just another generic same **** been there done that shooter, hell Arkham games is repetitive, you do same tings all over again, all the time, the pillars, every game has things we have seen before and by that they are REPETITIVE, it just depends which one is MORE or LESS like that, i do agree that there has been a hate towards Ubisoft and of course they fully deserved it, how completely broken Unity was at launch, "30 frames for more cinematic feeling" wot, and crap like that, started with Watch Dogs...but then again, it's not only Ubisoft there are other Devs that should be getting crap too.

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 02:23 PM
He has a point but i have long ago dropped the "ohh AC is so repetitive" BS, lmao every phucking game IS LITERALLY REPETITIVE IN IT'S OWN WAY, it is with very shame that i must make example and put AC in same basket but yeah, Fifa Is repetitive, LITERALLY you do same thing all over again, Call Of Duty god don't get me started there, it's just another generic same **** been there done that shooter, hell Arkham games is repetitive, you do same tings all over again, all the time, the pillars, every game has things we have seen before and by that they are REPETITIVE, it just depends which one is MORE or LESS like that, i do agree that there has been a hate towards Ubisoft and of course they fully deserved it, how completely broken Unity was at launch, "30 frames for more cinematic feeling" wot, and crap like that, started with Watch Dogs...but then again, it's not only Ubisoft there are other Devs that should be getting crap too.

To be fair the games you have listed with the exception of Arkham have been widely criticised for such repetition. And tbf with Arkham the only game that was a copy and paste job was Origins. Arkham City is to Asylum what Brotherhood is to ACII.

VestigialLlama4
10-16-2015, 02:28 PM
To be fair the games you have listed with the exception of Arkham have been widely criticised for such repetition. And tbf with Arkham the only game that was a copy and paste job was Origins. Arkham Knight is to Asylum what Brotherhood is to ACII.

I'd say Arkham Knight is the Assassin's Creed III to Asylum's AC1 but that's just me. Awesome game and awesome trilogy. I have no idea why Arkham Knight is controversial in some quarters. It's an amazing game but anyway off-topic...

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 03:13 PM
I actually meant Arkham City. But yes Knight is brilliant and very popular and loved by *most*

RVSage
10-16-2015, 05:17 PM
The video is basically ubi bashing, He has some vaild points I agree , but overall presentation indicates he is singling out Ubisoft, Again it is a internet mob phenomenon

I'd say Arkham Knight is the Assassin's Creed III to Asylum's AC1 but that's just me. Awesome game and awesome trilogy. I have no idea why Arkham Knight is controversial in some quarters. It's an amazing game but anyway off-topic...

The PC version was the controversy, I could complete it because I have a fairly new graphics card. But many people had terrible issues. PC version was taken off sales. And season pass holders like me do not have one dlc content till date. Waiting for re-release
I loved the game though, big fan of trilogy, just sad that rocksteady, wb disappointed us PC users. Arkham Knight was the best story in a game , I have seen in a long time.

cawatrooper9
10-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I wont even the address the bullocks about "It's the same game"

I hate that argument so much...
I don't know why people complain so much about sequels being similar.
A game could have a new plot, setting, character, features... but if some vague and completely subjective number of game mechanics is similar to its predecessor, suddenly it's the "same game".

Ugh, rant over.

VestigialLlama4
10-16-2015, 05:43 PM
The video is basically ubi bashing, He has some vaild points I agree , but overall presentation indicates he is singling out Ubisoft, Again it is a internet mob phenomenon

Yeah that's what it is. It's basically just entitled behavior I think from fans. They don't want to understand deeper issues and problems, don't want to look at their own hypocrisies and the like. The sad part is that Ubisoft is, relatively speaking, a sensitive company, much more so than others and they actually do listen to feedback to some extent but because they do that, they aren't given consideration.

I loved the game though, big fan of trilogy, just sad that rocksteady, wb disappointed us PC users. Arkham Knight was the best story in a game , I have seen in a long time.

Well that was another example of the same irrationality that this video harps on Ubisoft. Rocksteady put most of the efforts on the console ports and those are fine. The PC port was done by some other company. The PS4 was so delicate that it took a long time for Rocksteady to push it and the fact that they didn't want to spoil the game meant that there wasn't independent bugfixing and the like to avoid leaks. Ultimately it was WB's responsibility to oversee the PC port.

But then the PC Master Race have their own issues of entitlement.

Jessigirl2013
10-16-2015, 05:46 PM
It was controversial because the PC version was more broken than Unity.:rolleyes:
It got taken off steam soon after launch and I doubt its been re-released yet.

I hate that argument so much...
I don't know why people complain so much about sequels being similar.
A game could have a new plot, setting, character, features... but if some vague and completely subjective number of game mechanics is similar to its predecessor, suddenly it's the "same game".

Ugh, rant over.

Who doesn't not like that argument?
I agree,
All game in a trilogy have aspects of the last entry.

What annoys me more is that people who say that never specify "what is the same"

Ugh.... I hate that argument...:mad:

SixKeys
10-16-2015, 07:11 PM
As far as singling Ubi out, the guy asks at the end of the video "which company's fails would you like to see next?".

Is Ubi the only company that does these things? No. But that's not really an excuse. They should strive to be better than other companies. Just because the same complaints can be made against other companies' games doesn't make them invalid. Yeah, EA and R* (among others) do recycle assets and do the same pre-order BS and so forth. They should be called out for it. Ubi just happens to have a yearly franchise (seems like Far Cry is going to become the next one) so they're constantly in the public eye.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 07:18 PM
As far as singling Ubi out, the guy asks at the end of the video "which company's fails would you like to see next?".

Is Ubi the only company that does these things? No. But that's not really an excuse. They should strive to be better than other companies. Just because the same complaints can be made against other companies' games doesn't make them invalid. Yeah, EA and R* (among others) do recycle assets and do the same pre-order BS and so forth. They should be called out for it. Ubi just happens to have a yearly franchise (seems like Far Cry is going to become the next one) so they're constantly in the public eye.
I'm not saying the complaints are rendered invalid because others do these things, I'm saying the video itself is dishonest and ignorant, no matter the good points it makes. We all acknowledge the legitimate points made, but i'll take them from a more reliable and honest source.

SixKeys
10-16-2015, 07:23 PM
I'm not saying the complaints are rendered invalid because others do these things, I'm saying the video itself is dishonest and ignorant, no matter the good points it makes. We all acknowledge the legitimate points made, but i'll take them from a more reliable and honest source.

Why do you think it's ignorant or dishonest?

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Why do you think it's ignorant or dishonest?
Dishonest because its singling out one company to just garner clicks and capitalize on the recent Ubisoft hate narrative. If this was a more inclusive video aimed to prevent shady practices by game industry giants, then I would be the first to jump on it. Ignorant because things such as reusing assets are not really fails.

cawatrooper9
10-16-2015, 09:04 PM

This video, and this quote in particular, are one of the things that I really take issue with in modern gaming. It's a culture so permeated with negativity that we so often cannot appreciate how far we've come.

AVGN-type gamers have done their best to turn the community into an army of Comic Book Guys from The Simpsons ("Worst Assassins Creed Ever...").

EmbodyingSeven5
10-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Dishonest because its singling out one company to just garner clicks and capitalize on the recent Ubisoft hate narrative. If this was a more inclusive video aimed to prevent shady practices by game industry giants, then I would be the first to jump on it. Ignorant because things such as reusing assets are not really fails.

Just wanted to say first its good to have you around again M (:.

I don't see anything wrong with singling out a company. Ubi is just the figurehead right now of overused assets and season pass dlc bull. Companies like EA and Konami are receiving the same BS and I think they should be. Yes I do know companies reuse assets. That's really clear. But Ubi reuses majority of its assets between games. I love the AC franchise and I know Ubi has made some great games, but they have also made some big mistakes.

Also this wasn't a random attack on the company. This is a series that has a large following and the fans of the channel suggest companies often to do videos on. I posted this hear because I have recently been weary of Ubis recent actions. I love the company and their franchises. I just hope they learn from their mistakes.

SixKeys
10-16-2015, 10:08 PM

I just pointed out that the guy asks in the end for users to suggest ideas for his next "victim". He's not singling Ubi out, he seems to be planning a series of company fail videos.

I'll concede to the asset-using not being a fail. I still think the way Ubi does it is worse than how many other companies do it, though. As the video points out, it's not just that they recycle assets within the same franchise, it's that they're trying to make every one of their games fit the same formula. "What new thing can we include in the next AC that we can market? Oh, I know! Let's just take the crafting system from Far Cry and plant it wholesale into AC4. Tell the Far Cry boys they can have our viewpoint mechanic in exchange."

This video, and this quote in particular, are one of the things that I really take issue with in modern gaming. It's a culture so permeated with negativity that we so often cannot appreciate how far we've come.

AVGN-type gamers have done their best to turn the community into an army of Comic Book Guys from The Simpsons ("Worst Assassins Creed Ever...").

That's a valid criticism, but it doesn't change the facts named in the video. I'm referring to the direct quotes (like "most PC gamers are pirates") and proven fails (AC2's DRM), not just personal opinions.

I-Like-Pie45
10-16-2015, 10:13 PM
most pc gamers are pirates, that is true and they are hackers too

booty_fiend
10-16-2015, 10:18 PM
I still think the way Ubi does it is worse than how many other companies do it, though. As the video points out, it's not just that they recycle assets within the same franchise, it's that they're trying to make every one of their games fit the same formula. "What new thing can we include in the next AC that we can market? Oh, I know! Let's just take the crafting system from Far Cry and plant it wholesale into AC4. Tell the Far Cry boys they can have our viewpoint mechanic in exchange."
exactly, which is why it's a point that isn't objectively ignorant at all. i personally think it's one of the most valid points in the vid.

like i've said before, ubisoft is in a league of its own with asset recycling.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 11:11 PM
I just pointed out that the guy asks in the end for users to suggest ideas for his next "victim". He's not singling Ubi out, he seems to be planning a series of company fail videos.
When the next "fail" video releases, i'll concede to this point. As of now, he's only singling out Ubisoft. It's just how I see it.

I still think the way Ubi does it is worse than how many other companies do it, though. As the video points out, it's not just that they recycle assets within the same franchise, it's that they're trying to make every one of their games fit the same formula. "What new thing can we include in the next AC that we can market? Oh, I know! Let's just take the crafting system from Far Cry and plant it wholesale into AC4. Tell the Far Cry boys they can have our viewpoint mechanic in exchange."
But there's nothing wrong with that. R* did it when it imported mission structure from GTA to RDR. They even used the random characters from GTA in RDR. Avalanche studios does it, a lot of their games retain a lot of aspects from each other. Naughty Dog has been doing it since Crash Bandicoot. The uncharted series is literally next gen Crash Bandicoot. Not only does everyone do it, there's also nothing really wrong with it. Would people be in uproar if they found out 2 movies used the same set as each other? Feck no, it's good resourcing.

RA503
10-17-2015, 01:34 AM
This is the era of click bait, the worse is that if you go to the comments critcise him,he already win, because is the view who put food in the table of sensationalist garbage,I not say that Unity is perfect,but games like the high overrrated Skyrim that is basically a game inside a giant bug nobody complain,hear what I saying,Fallout 4 will be terrible bugged and everyone will still kisses Bethesda's spheres...

booty_fiend
10-17-2015, 01:42 AM
This is the era of click bait, the worse is that if you go to the comments critcise him,he already win, because is the view who put food in the table of sensationalist garbage,I not say that Unity is perfect,but games like the high overrrated Skyrim that is basically a game inside a giant bug nobody complain,hear what I saying,Fallout 4 will be terrible bugged and everyone will still such Bethesda's spheres...
because those games are awesome, bugs aside; bugs were their only major issues. fallout 4 will be full of bugs, but still awesome.

unity was far from awesome. most on here agree with that. story was lame, arno was lame, combat was lame, etc.

big difference.

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 01:43 AM
because those games are awesome, bugs aside; bugs were their only major issues. fallout 4 will be full of bugs, but still awesome.

unity was far from awesome. most on here agree with that. story was lame, arno was lame, combat was lame, etc.

big difference.
I hate to be captain obvious, but what you find awesome may not be awesome to everyone else.

booty_fiend
10-17-2015, 01:49 AM
I hate to be captain obvious, but what you find awesome may not be awesome to everyone else.
o rly?!

RA503
10-17-2015, 01:54 AM
Skyrim is just a game that I can't play,I bought, give my money to bethesda, but everytime I try start play,I just give up,not because is hard but because is boring and terrible.

booty_fiend
10-17-2015, 01:57 AM
Skyrim is just a game that I can't play,I bought, give my money to bethesda, but everytime I try start play,I just give up,not because is hard but because is boring and terrible.
you do not deserve to live anymore.

(i kid, i kid; whatever floats (or sinks) your boat :))

HDinHB
10-17-2015, 01:59 AM
games like the high overrrated Skyrim that is basically a game inside a giant bug...

lol, great expression. I enjoyed Skyrim, but it was a tremendous bugfest. There's probably a top 10 video about that too.

booty_fiend
10-17-2015, 02:02 AM
some skyrim bugs were at least funny, though

unity just pissed people tf off. piss poor optimization, i tell you

"the game is finished" they said.

"it will be great" they said.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-18-2015, 05:35 AM

I felt that way for oblivion, but I loved Skyrim.

Did you really have to post that? If someone states their opinion you don't have to state that its an opinion.

When the next "fail" video releases, i'll concede to this point. As of now, he's only singling out Ubisoft. It's just how I see it.

But there's nothing wrong with that. R* did it when it imported mission structure from GTA to RDR. They even used the random characters from GTA in RDR. Avalanche studios does it, a lot of their games retain a lot of aspects from each other. Naughty Dog has been doing it since Crash Bandicoot. The uncharted series is literally next gen Crash Bandicoot. Not only does everyone do it, there's also nothing really wrong with it. Would people be in uproar if they found out 2 movies used the same set as each other? Feck no, it's good resourcing.

This was already an existing series M. They didn't randomly single out Ubi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_NCldlypw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6DHS9p6K1Q

Also, games do reuse assets and missions structures. Every sequel does it al least to even the slightest extent but Ubi runs so wild with it that it gets exasperating. Especially since the games have annual releases. It starts to feel lazy on their part. AC-AC Revelations had very similar gameplay and parkour elements with ever so slight changes to combat yearly. Heavily reused animations through them too. Its way more in your face with Ubi.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 06:42 AM
This was already an existing series M. They didn't randomly single out Ubi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_NCldlypw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6DHS9p6K1Q

Also, games do reuse assets and missions structures. Every sequel does it al least to even the slightest extent but Ubi runs so wild with it that it gets exasperating. Especially since the games have annual releases. It starts to feel lazy on their part. AC-AC Revelations had very similar gameplay and parkour elements with ever so slight changes to combat yearly. Heavily reused animations through them too. Its way more in your face with Ubi.
Then I stand corrected. I am a moron who can be very biased. I apologize for being an idiot.

Anyways, lets just agree to disagree about reusing assets. I already talked at length about it. It only feels "in your face" because of the yearly releases. Every other game in every other series is as different from each other as AC II is different from ACB. Every GTA game, for example.

HDinHB
10-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Then I stand corrected. I am a moron who can be very biased. I apologize for being an idiot.

Anyways, lets just agree to disagree about reusing assets. I already talked at length about it. It only feels "in your face" because of the yearly releases. Every other game in every other series is as different from each other as AC II is different from ACB. Every GTA game, for example.

Again I have to point out that sometimes you are completely right. :p

When people complain about the annual releases, they tend to focus on the quality impact due to lack of resources. I always think that is less an issue than what you are pointing out. With some exceptions, it's a kind of "absence makes the heart grow fonder; familiarity breeds contempt" effect more than a technical cause.

Oooooh....just saw the Syndicate commercial on network TV during an NFL game...it's official now.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:20 PM
Again I have to point out that sometimes you are completely right. :p

I can admit to being wrong and harshly criticize myself for it :rolleyes:

When people complain about the annual releases, they tend to focus on the quality impact due to lack of resources. I always think that is less an issue than what you are pointing out. With some exceptions, it's a kind of "absence makes the heart grow fonder; familiarity breeds contempt" effect more than a technical cause.

No disagreement there. I'm just pointing out that saying "same ol' AC" is an idiom caused by the annual releases, so it's not really a complaint in the right context. People are just, rightfully so, burned out.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I can admit to being wrong and harshly criticize myself for it :rolleyes:

No comment.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:42 PM
No comment.
You just made one.

pacmanate
10-18-2015, 09:43 PM
No comment.

You are so passive aggressive today.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:43 PM
You just made one.

Predictable.

Assassin_M
10-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Predictable.
You can't predict your superior.

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 09:53 PM
You can't predict your superior.

Deleted!

EmbodyingSeven5
10-19-2015, 01:09 AM
No disagreement there. I'm just pointing out that saying "same ol' AC" is an idiom caused by the annual releases, so it's not really a complaint in the right context. People are just, rightfully so, burned out.

I do agree with this. Maybe it is just the annual schedule that has me holding a strange type of contempt for a series I love. Looks like Farcry is starting to go the same route now.

brotersinarms
10-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, i don't really agree with the opinon of the video. It seems more or less the guy is just an angry PC Gamer, and as much as i respect my PC friends, i have to scratch my head with games like Red Orchestra 2 and some of those great PC Exclusive we can't play on Consoles, what they want to be doing playing these Console based games. I mean, personally i don't give a rat damn about "60 fps". All that seems to do is make the graphics look ugly, to be able to get to that framerate. And i agree i want a more cinematic looking game experience, and it seems Ubisoft, at least in the way their games "look", look fantastic.

I mean Metal Gear V is at 60 fps, and game looks like sh** (it looks like a huge MW2 Afghan map to me). And even with the 60 frames, i'm still getting major hiccups, and Online is unplayable given the lag. I would take 30 or 40 frames in a heartbeat, if the games "look like" Unity and others they put out.

EA seems to have gone to the Infinity Ward looking graphics on Current Gen (these are just my opinions), and Battlefront is looking towards bombing out.

I loved AC3 as well (my favorite, along with Rogue), and so i disagree with him on that, in that AC3 "was one of the worst in the series". Not to mention, i think the sales that game received debunked that argument off hand.

Now i have no intention of purchasing "Syndicate", because the time period (Victorian England) does not interest me, as this new Farcry does not, and as the new Rainbow Six wanted to make me cry in how bad that was, playing the Beta (Tom Clancy would be turning in his grave seeing what they turned that into, which is a Police SWAT based nonsense). Same with the new GRAW (more Cops crap), and that other nonsense (can't think of it now, in that armageddon type shooter genre). All crap in my view.

That doesn't mean however, Ubisoft is not a great game producer, that gave, and are still giving me loads of fun, with some of the best graphic games i've played (DON'T change the graphics to make the PC'ers happy), in time periods other Developers just do not seem to touch. There would not be another "Revolutionary War, or French Indian War, or French Revolution" game, without Ubisoft, and i thank them for immersing me in some great games and time periods (Brothers In Arms was another favorite of mine obviously).

I'm hoping Ubisoft can come out with a "Verdun" (that's exclusively on PC) like Trench Warfare WW 1 game, and "For Honor" looks like a pleasant change. Maybe help Gearbox with their new Brothers In Arms endeavor.

And so we all have different opinions, and can never get what we want all the time, but given this "devolution' of games today within itself, the answer isn't to bash Ubisoft, but help them make it better. Again, i'm dealing with my set of bummers now with Syndicate, and the ruination of Rainbow 6 and GRAW, but hopefully, Ubisoft can go back to its roots.

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
I understand that, and I totally get why people feel that way- but I don't know why that makes them feel as if they personally need to kill the franchise. Some of us still enjoy AC games. If someone doesn't enjoy the series anymore, why not just stop playing and let others continue?

I used to be a big COD fan (yeah, I know, kinda embarrassing) but several years ago the franchise just got stale for me. I didn't hate on it and complain about the release cycle. I just realize that it wasn't for me anymore, and moved on with my life.

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
I understand that, and I totally get why people feel that way- but I don't know why that makes them feel as if they personally need to kill the franchise. Some of us still enjoy AC games. If someone doesn't enjoy the series anymore, why not just stop playing and let others continue?

I used to be a big COD fan (yeah, I know, kinda embarrassing) but several years ago the franchise just got stale for me. I didn't hate on it and complain about the release cycle. I just realize that it wasn't for me anymore, and moved on with my life.
I think people can be a little too emotional sometimes. I don't know if that's a feeling of entitlement or what, but it's like Ubisoft has stolen their honor when they talk about the state of AC. I agree with you, if one realizes something is not for them anymore, they should just move on and let others who enjoy the thing continue to do so, but it seems people don't want to just leave the ship, they want to sink it too. Why? No idea. If you don't like Modern Day, pretend it ended with Desmond and move on. If you don't like any protagonist after Ezio, just pretend anything after the trilogy never happened and move on.

I disliked AC II a lot and wanted to quit the franchise, but I didnt come up and say "Hey, ubishift, you need to end the series". It just doesn't make any sense.

SixKeys
10-19-2015, 08:46 PM
It's about closure and wanting something you love to die with dignity. There are many TV shows that I quit watching a long time ago because they're well past their prime, to the point where tuning in and watching a new episode is just embarrassing and like watching a different show. It's sad when you remember how the show used to be original and clever and now it's just a shadow of its former self. Even the actors sometimes admit it. Lots of people still enjoy the show, though, or else they wouldn't keep it going. I used to be a big fan of the HBO show Six Feet Under. They ended that show after 5 seasons, when the show was starting to get a bit formulaic but was still good. I loved it, but I was happy that they chose to end it at its prime. That left me with a good feeling about the series in general. You can always go back to those 5 seasons and find they're all quality television. You can look at it as a piece of art whose value hasn't gone down in the years after. Whereas something like The X-Files or The Simpsons? Don't get me started.

I don't think it's selfish to want something to end if it's no longer the thing you fell in love with. Even if I disagree with someone about the declining quality - i.e. I still love the show and they don't - I don't think they're selfish for wanting it to stop, even if that would mean I wouldn't get to watch it anymore. Everything has to end in time, and it's better to end it when you still have people going "aww, no!" than "ugh, about time".

Assassin_M
10-19-2015, 08:55 PM
It's about closure and wanting something you love to die with dignity. There are many TV shows that I quit watching a long time ago because they're well past their prime, to the point where tuning in and watching a new episode is just embarrassing and like watching a different show. It's sad when you remember how the show used to be original and clever and now it's just a shadow of its former self. Even the actors sometimes admit it. Lots of people still enjoy the show, though, or else they wouldn't keep it going. I used to be a big fan of the HBO show Six Feet Under. They ended that show after 5 seasons, when the show was starting to get a bit formulaic but was still good. I loved it, but I was happy that they chose to end it at its prime. That left me with a good feeling about the series in general. You can always go back to those 5 seasons and find they're all quality television. You can look at it as a piece of art whose value hasn't gone down in the years after. Whereas something like The X-Files or The Simpsons? Don't get me started.

I don't think it's selfish to want something to end if it's no longer the thing you fell in love with. Even if I disagree with someone about the declining quality - i.e. I still love the show and they don't - I don't think they're selfish for wanting it to stop, even if that would mean I wouldn't get to watch it anymore. Everything has to end in time, and it's better to end it when you still have people going "aww, no!" than "ugh, about time".
But AC is not like a TV show, I don't think. I originally got on this series because of the history. The fantasy of roaming ancient time periods and seeing what real places may have looked like. It was the closest thing to a time machine. Honestly, I only got interested in the conspiracies and stuff much later. My first play-through of AC I back in 2008 had me thinking the modern day were the game's way of giving me a bathroom break. Only on my second play-through did I actually pay attention to all lore. A TV show's investment and appeal is only in the story, whereas there's lots of stuff to invest in AC. Maybe you're a person who likes this kind of stealth or this kind of combat. Maybe you like the parkour and climbing tall buildings. Maybe you're a mundane bugger like me who just loves the fantasy of roaming all over history in different time periods. That's why I think it's selfish.

Honestly, if someone stops investing in something, why should anyone care what their reaction is? Whether it's "Ugh about time" or "aww no". They'v already stopped investing the time, energy and money into it, so why should I care?

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 08:59 PM

See, I just disagree with that, and our disagreement seems to be on a fundamental level, so I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind.

I just want to point out that, as Assassin M said, (and this is paraphrasing): If you no longer want to follow a series, you're not technically a fan of it anymore. You can still be a fan of what it was (and you'll always have the games that you love, no one can take those away) but you are not a fan of where the series is now. So, you shouldn't care. It doesn't have to "die with dignity" to satisfy your whims.

By the way (and I'm not calling you out specifically, friend :D) but I do think that it's selfish and immature to try to end something for everyone just because you're tired of it. You're taking something that you're no longer really all that invested in and ruining it for people who are still genuinely interested. Twist it as you want, but that sounds selfish to me.

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Assassin's Creed is different from TV shows and comics, or stuff like James Bond, in that it's not tied to a set of characters. The set of characters it does follow, it gives endings to. I mean think about the cast of AC1 - Altair, Desmond, Lucy and Vidic...they are all dead by AC3. So if you if you invested in those set of characters, you got an ending, not an ending that satisfied people but it was an ending nonetheless. The story continues with new characters.

AC can't end but it can change. And ultimately its up to people to decide which change is for them. James Bond and Batman are characters that reinvent themselves for each new generation. For me, the Michael Keaton Batman and the one in the cartoons (whose voice actor returns in the Arkham games) was the true Batman. But for the 2000s generation, it's obviously Christian Bale (who I don't think did that character right, his Batman is pretty incompetent in general). For me James Bond was Pierce Brosnan but obviously for people after me, it's Daniel Craig (who again I don't think got that character right). The difference is that with Bond and Batman, you have to deal with the fact that your memories of that character is being overwritten by new versions. Whereas with AC, Altair, Ezio and Edward will be unchanged and eternal. So there is that.

SixKeys
10-19-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm surprised so many of you disagree that AC is like a TV show. To me it is (well, used to be anyway) pretty much exactly like a TV show. Every game up until AC3 was like a new season and each season ended with a major cliffhanger. That's exactly how a TV show works. Desmond was the one constant running through the story, it was his story, his journey towards becoming the ultimate assassin. The historical characters were more like popular guest stars. I don't suppose any of you have ever watched Once Upon a Time, but it's basically a show that revolves around Emma, an ordinary person, discovering a town inhabited by fairytale characters. There are a number of recurring characters, but each season introduces a new fairytale and new characters. AC could be like that. Season 1 was about Desmond following the life of Alta´r, season 2 was about Ezio. Then seasons 3 and 4 were also about Ezio. :rolleyes: And finally season 5 was about Connor. All the while Desmond is supposed to be our main hero, the red thread connecting all these different characters together. Most people probably watch Once Upon a Time for the fairytale characters, but Emma is still the main heroine, the one constant. See also: Doctor Who. New cast every episode, new stories, new planets. Heck, even the main character changes every few seasons. AC started out like that. The Desmond arc was supposed to be about Desmond. Then they realized he wasn't very popular and shifted their focus towards the supporting cast, something that IMO was a mistake. The Doctor should always be the star of his own show, no matter how interesting and popular his companions might be.

RVSage
10-19-2015, 09:25 PM
AC series to me has been unique in so many ways

The series does not stick to a cast of characters (apart from the MD thread). It's basically telling infinite stories from human history. One can never completely explore human history, there are so many possibilities.

Every character in the series is really memorable for different reasons, each character has so many philosophical differences (Ezio, Altair, Edward, Connor), but they unite for a common cause).

It cannot be compared to a TV series because it does not stick to one story, one time period, there are many.

I enjoy AC because of the historical aspect (love history since middle school days), open explorable world, stealth gameplay and intriguing story(clearly unity wasn't)

People may not be happy about certain aspects, hate the fact the game was not optimized/finished in case of Unity. But I believe, and hope they can continue telling more stories, take us to more places we can not go.

If people do not like AC, they can part ways with it, that's all it takes. Just stop buying it. Who knows maybe in the future, I might part ways with it too, but I am always happy I played each game, because each game offered me something that I like, they may not be perfect, I am sure I will never regret having played all of them

cawatrooper9
10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
I don't suppose any of you have ever watched Once Upon a Time, but it's basically a show that revolves around Emma, an ordinary person, discovering a town inhabited by fairytale characters. There are a number of recurring characters, but each season introduces a new fairytale and new characters.
Actually, I watched the first two and a half seasons of the show before I got tired of it.
And guess what?
I'm fine with them still airing new seasons, because it doesn't affect me anymore.

VestigialLlama4
10-19-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised so many of you disagree that AC is like a TV show. To me it is (well, used to be anyway) pretty much exactly like a TV show. Every game up until AC3 was like a new season and each season ended with a major cliffhanger. That's exactly how a TV show works. Desmond was the one constant running through the story, it was his story, his journey towards becoming the ultimate assassin. The historical characters were more like popular guest stars.

In TV shows, the popular guest stars don't as a rule take up 96% of the screentime, that was true even of AC1. If there is any TV show you can compare AC too it's Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, where each episode or set of episodes were standalone and minimovies, and there weren't regular characters. Twilight Zone or Outer Limits can't really "end". There's no real final episode to it. There's just a point where it stopped being made and there will be a point where that happens to AC.

I mean AC is a pretty postmodern franchise in that sense. It's about the organisation, society and ideology more than a single man. So everyone is a hero of another story, everybody has a story to tell. It mirrors history in that sense. In real-life a great policeman and a great soldier's death while powerful doesn't really mean the end of anything. In fiction, like in Arkham, Batman "dying" is blown out of proportion as this really momentous and great thing. "It's the end of an era", Gotham and everything would continue right but essentially no one will care for that setting of Gotham and his supporting cast without Batman. In AC because of history, it's not true. Altair can die, Ezio can die, but the world moves on.

I actually think this is the most original and revolutionary aspect of AC. Like Half-Life is tied to Gordon Freeman, Zelda games which reboot every new game has Zelda Link and Ganon on the merrygoround. But in AC, the Creed matters. You can remove Abstergo, the Templars, the MD Assassins and you can still tell an Assassin's Creed story and setting.

EmbodyingSeven5
10-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Actually, I watched the first two and a half seasons of the show before I got tired of it.
And guess what?
I'm fine with them still airing new seasons, because it doesn't affect me anymore.

In my opinion when it comes to media we as consumers have the right and the responsibility in some ways to share our opinions and thoughts no matter what minority or majority its in. The community that consumes this media does have entitlement. We are entitled to request things of our medium. Frankly I don't give a rats a** whether or not someone wants AC to go one for years or if they want to keep playing new instalments. Me as a consumer sees AC as a franchise I used to have a deep love for but no longer want or need in the gaming industry because of how its dragging on. I want AC to die with the dignity it has left. Make a decent conclusion and tie the remaining knots. I'm requesting this because it will affect me. Without AC a new franchise will take its place and I can have a somewhat satisfying finale to a franchise I've known over the years. Call me entitled, because I do think I am. And don't play the whole "you'll be depriving others from AC!", because that's an argument that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If I dislike micro transactions and demand they go away, Id also be "depriving the few who still use and enjoy micro transactions". Does that mean I shouldn't complain about them or keep insisting that they go away? I'm this way with AC because they rush games on an annual schedule and fill their worlds with half-baked side activities and storymodes.

SnowMN2
03-22-2017, 08:01 PM
1.if they are wrong why u call em pathetic,snivelling man-children(which does not make em wrong but still)
2.Reasoning,we can suck as long as there is someone worst out there like Rockstar,is valid and solid congrats on ur reasoning
3.Name one other trailer CGI or not as missleading as the fiasco trailer of WD2
4.Playback or rendered video footage froze on stage
5.first game support that takes a week minimum to respond and closes ur ticket without ur permission or acceptance(hint:its ur ticket)

The only one not having a problem at any given time with Ubi as a whole is someone who works in ubi so please sir enuf from u(as im typing this we get booted repeatedly from siege servers due to high ping all 10 of us,makes u wonder whom did we get compared with to establish a standard ping....but hey ubi is great go buy all 5 collectors and enjoy ur games sir