PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Inaccuracies and Americanisms on International Maps

Tartanclad
10-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Hello gents.

This is a post-beta version of this old thread here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...e-Hereford-Map.

As the previous thread states, this one is designed to make aware to the developers and the players about a variety of inaccuracies I found in the map. Some are quite significant, and some are somewhat negligible. However, I'd like ALL of them to be made aware in order that the developers take greater care in their research towards building these maps. The game is set around the world and features characters from across Europe, Russia and the United States (plus one from Israel) with more international characters to come, and one MUST not fall into the trap of leaving Americanisms around the place. (I am aware that the company is Canadian, but the term is appropriate, given these particular inaccuracies).

Hereford:
American Storey Numbers: The main building in Hereford follows the American system of storey numbers (1st (ground) Floor, 2nd Floor, 3rd Floor). In a British military base built to teach British personnel, the storey numbers should be in the European system (Ground Floor, 1st Floor, 2nd Floor). Please see the older thread via the link for a more elaborate explanation.

American Blackhawk Helicopters: I counted roughly 4 Blackhawk helicopters in the background of the Hereford map. It should be noted that, at present, nobody in Europe at all use Blackhawks, least of all the British Army. The only helicopters found within a British Army training base should be the Army Air Corps Westland Lynx or perhaps the RAF Puma.

American School Bus: Along the side of the base is a wrecked, yellow American-style school bus. These buses have never been used in the United Kingdom, for school or otherwise, and shouldn't really be in the map at all. To ram the point home, the steering wheel on the bus is, in fact, on the 'wrong' (left) side. If a bus must be there, I'd recommend a single-decked red London bus.

American SWAT van: Putting aside the question as to what civilian police are doing in a military training base, the van is a copy/paste from the one in the American family home map. It looks to me like a Lenco Bearcat, of which nothing similar is in use in the UK, nor are British police vans painted that way. Obviously, the steering is on the wrong side. If you want a police vehicle there, I recommend copying one of the UK police vans from the Plane map and sticking the words 'Military police' on the front, as that's EXACTLY what Royal Military Police vans look like.

Embassy:
African Police Service: This is a weird one. Ubisoft have decided to name the police of Ivory Coast the 'African Police Service' as seen on the police cars. Putting aside the bizzarity of lumping the whole of Africa together as one police service, there are two other issues I'd point out. Firstly, the language of Ivory Coast is French, not English. Therefore, even if one would choose this name, it should be something like 'Service de police de l'Afrique'. EVEN THEN, the real name of the Ivory Coast police is the 'Police Nationale' which is just about the most default name one can get with a French-speaking country. Why not use this name?

American SWAT van: Same as every other map. The use of the same swat van from the House map. Unless it's Rainbow's personal vehicle, it shouldn't show up in EVERY map across the world.

House
This map is actually fine as far as I can see, which should not surprise anyone. After all, the map is set in the United States, and therefore is not affected by 'Americanism'-style mistakes.

That's all I really had time to look out for. Some might find these nitpickity, but they jump out as quite obvious to me. Regardless, as I said, this thread is designed to encourage a more careful and researched approach to designing international maps. There are far too many Americanisms around and it DOES affect the international effect that Ubisoft is trying to create here.

Do leave a comment if you have an opinion on this, or noticed other inaccuracies. I'd like to try and keep this thread alive.

EveFear
10-22-2015, 11:23 AM
If Ubisoft wants to make a serious game, they should read you, and understand 'why' it is important. But, who knows about what they want.

Darknoodles
10-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice sense of detail. As it doesnt change the gameplay, i'd really prefere they focus on something else, but yes, i think they should review this to make the ambiance more coherent to the place you are sent to.

Grissa0stDrauka
10-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Good and accurate, hope UBI pay some attention to you.

codeX-
11-05-2015, 01:27 AM
That's all I really had time to look out for. Some might find these nitpickity, but they jump out as quite obvious to me. Regardless, as I said, this thread is designed to encourage a more careful and researched approach to designing international maps. There are far too many Americanisms around and it DOES affect the international effect that Ubisoft is trying to create here.

Do leave a comment if you have an opinion on this, or noticed other inaccuracies. I'd like to try and keep this thread alive.

Good post. A lot of this is simply the artists making what they know. And *good* artists who are also worldly tend to be a bit difficult to hire for gaming for many reasons. (Salary, relocation costs, full-time or contract position requirements, VISA issues, etc)

This is more on the producer to make sure whoever they have as artists and more importantly, level designers, know what 'fits' a given geographic region. There honestly aren't many people in gaming who fully understand this scope, and there are relatively few gamers who notice these nuances - not that it doesn't matter, but that there are usually bigger fish to fry. Example: Populate helicopters at Hereford with the only helicopter model we have (UH60), a passable model that very few people will notice is out of place, or leave Hereford empty and not give it that 'military' feel. Option 3 is to spend more money creating a separate RAF heli model, but that option is usually a huge concern for game teams.

DKDridin
11-06-2015, 04:55 PM
The Blackhawks are used because if you read the book, team Rainbow is an American led special operations unit based in the UK at Hereford. They use Blackhawks in the book, and so they have Blackhawks in the game. Otherwise your input is very spot on :D.

Tartanclad
11-06-2015, 07:57 PM
The Blackhawks are used because if you read the book, team Rainbow is an American led special operations unit based in the UK at Hereford. They use Blackhawks in the book, and so they have Blackhawks in the game. Otherwise your input is very spot on :D.

You know I did wonder, but there were so many of them I put it down anyway. It's been so long since I read the book but, funnily enough, I just ordered it on Amazon yesterday. Thanks for the responses, chaps.

Just a note, I will be updating this thread when the full game comes out and more maps become available to the players. As Codex and Darknoodles noted, these are not high-priority issues and I recognise that, but I hope the mere presence of this thread provides some positive responses towards the development of the game.