PDA

View Full Version : Assassin’s Creed Syndicate - Historical Characters Trailer

UbiJustin
10-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Set in London during the height of the Industrial Revolution, players will step into the shoes of twin Master Assassins, Jacob and Evie Frye. Fighting to liberate London, Jacob and Evie help define the birth of organized crime in an adventure filled with action, intrigue and brutal combat. The development of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate is being led by Ubisoft Quebec.

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate will be available worldwide for PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One on October 23, and will be available for Windows PC on November 19.

To stay connected with Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, please visit the official website assassinscreed.com (http://assassinscreed.com), Facebook page facebook.com/assassinscreed (http://facebook.com/assassinscreed)and Twitter account twitter.com/assassinscreed (http://twitter.com/assassinscreed).

For the latest on all of Ubisoft’s games, please visit: ubiblog.com (http://ubiblog.com)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yEh3r35II

VestigialLlama4
10-13-2015, 07:15 PM
And they f--ked up Marx just like I knew they would, but it could have been worse.

Hans684
10-13-2015, 07:32 PM
So Mary Sues kissing everyones arces and gets kissed back in return? Yeah, does't look exciting. At least the story is gray... Oh wait. There goes the philosophical edge away again.

VestigialLlama4
10-13-2015, 07:40 PM
So Mary Sues kissing everyones arces and gets kissed back in return? Yeah, does't look exciting. At least the story is gray... Oh wait. There goes the philosophical edge away again.

You know, we disagree on other issues, but on this you are right.

It seems the full-blooded historical figures we got in AC1, Ezio games and Black Flag seem to be something that Ubisoft lost its talent for. I mean there's no sense of actual dynamics anymore. Like an Assassin being in the same presence as a King or Queen and the issues involved in that happening was addressed in AC1 but since then nothing.

Hans684
10-13-2015, 08:03 PM
You know, we disagree on other issues, but on this you are right.

Unexpected but thank you. As for the other issues, that comment is a reference to other black and white games without the philosophy in the series as well. So I don't think you will agree as much now.

It seems the full-blooded historical figures we got in AC1, Ezio games and Black Flag seem to be something that Ubisoft lost its talent for.

Agree in a way if you take away AC2 and Brotherhood.

I mean there's no sense of actual dynamics anymore.

Well black and white stories usually lack that as it arce kissing in every direction. Let's take the Policeman the fry twins are working with, him not being their ally and have to be recruited would create conflicts, the Assassins are criminals after all. One example, however to make it more dramatic the Assassins themselves and their Rooks would need to be gray enough to question or oppose, same with the Templars. It's all I ask from Ubi, gray stories, conflicts, ambition, moral dilemmas and philosophy. AC has the potential to become a masterpiece of philosophy along with books like famous books like The Republic or novels like A Brave New World. Something to be remembered in history.

Like an Assassin being in the same presence as a King or Queen and the issues involved in that happening was addressed in AC1 but since then nothing.

Yeah, it was funny. But then again that's the problem with black and white stories, issues like these isn't issues anymore in stories like that.

pineal_gland
10-14-2015, 02:47 AM
The assassins teaming up with the monarchy......lol...

VestigialLlama4
10-14-2015, 03:48 AM
The assassins teaming up with the monarchy......lol...

You know in retrospect, especially after Unity, you can see a lot of pro-monarchy sentiment through all the games that you really didn't notice at the time (Richard the Lionheart, Prince Suleiman are looked at very positively). Must be a Canadian thing, they were a nation of loyalists to the Crown after all, and even the French Canadian feel more connected to pre-Revolutionary France than the France after the Revolution.

I think AC3 and Black Flag were the only games that had the Assassins be truly anti-monarchy. And I suppose AC2 to some extent (all those famous Assassins across the Tombs, all of them killed kings and conquerors).

UNITY is royalist propaganda that even right-wingers don't make. It makes A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlet Pimpernel look like Jacobin propaganda.

RVSage
10-14-2015, 05:22 AM
You know in retrospect, especially after Unity, you can see a lot of pro-monarchy sentiment through all the games that you really didn't notice at the time (Richard the Lionheart, Prince Suleiman are looked at very positively). Must be a Canadian thing, they were a nation of loyalists to the Crown after all, and even the French Canadian feel more connected to pre-Revolutionary France than the France after the Revolution.

I think AC3 and Black Flag were the only games that had the Assassins be truly anti-monarchy. And I suppose AC2 to some extent (all those famous Assassins across the Tombs, all of them killed kings and conquerors).

UNITY is royalist propaganda that even right-wingers don't make. It makes A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlet Pimpernel look like Jacobin propaganda.

I hope these characters especially the monarchy be given the same screen time as George Washington in AC3, that to me was perfect level of involvement of these historical characters in game.

VestigialLlama4
10-14-2015, 05:58 AM
I hope these characters especially the monarchy be given the same screen time as George Washington in AC3, that to me was perfect level of involvement of these historical characters in game.

I don't think there's anything like a "quota" in terms of level of involvement of historical characters. As the old saying goes in theatre there are no small parts only small actors. Richard the Lionheart had only two scenes in AC1 but he had a kick-ss personality and an amazing monologue and interaction with Altair there, something that meaningfully developed the overall philosophical side and also suggested the character of the King very well. Likewise with his French-accented English portrayed him far truer to history than most other portrayals where he's shown as this bastion of English-ness when he barely spent any time in England. In AC2, Caterina Sforza was the one ruler we really hung out with and she got essentially five big scenes overall. The Forli DLC, then the opening of Brotherhood, her rescue at Castel Sant'Angelo and then she disappears but she's still an incredibly ambiguous and interesting look at what it meant to be a woman and a ruler at that time. Prince Suleiman in Revelations is the perfect mix, lot of screentime (maybe as much as Yusuf Tazim) and we got to know him pretty well. Likewise, Savonarola, gets three big scenes in AC2 and yet he left an amazing impression.

By contrast, Lorenzo de'Medici had extended screentime in AC2 (five big scenes) and even got an extra bonus mission and that Lineage movie and yet there's not any sense of his character aside from this benevolent philanthropist of Florence and "that-guy-my-Dad-told-me-was-cool". George Washington in AC3 also got a lot of scenes but it's only the DLC of Tyranny of King Washington that really did make him a character we could care about rather than some interactive CGI guy and he's not really half as interesting as the real guy. In UNITY, we have Mirabeau, the Mentor of the Assassins and his database makes him sound like a firebrand playboy revolutionary but the guy we see in the game is this really bored, really annoyed mentor guy. There's no sense of why this guy was so charismatic that his early death was a huge blow to the Revolution. I mean in Black Flag, when Blackbeard died, it was really sad, it was really epic it was the point which said "the good times are over". Here Mirabeau's death is sad because it was Pierre Bellec (also voiced by Blackbeard's voice actor) who did it and then he died, and with that went the only potentially interesting character in UNITY. De Sade is a walking sex-joke dispensing machine and not as threatening and scary as the real guy was (see MARAT/SADE), Napoleon could have been cool but the wretched dialogue he gets in the side missions ruins him.

It's not enough to simply include historical figures you have to make them characters we can care about and relate, that is we like/dislike and have opinions about them. Like in AC2, Leonardo and Machiavelli were our buddies, or in Black Flag where we got to know all those pirates well. There has to be some sense of dynamic to it.