PDA

View Full Version : Thief-Assassin anyone?

dread_stone
10-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Ubisoft seems keen on hybridizing their character's allegiances. Ezio was an Assassin trained by his mercenary uncle in combat (and it showed in his stealth (or lack thereof)), Edward was a pirate-Assassin with a HUGE emphasis on the 'pirate' part, and now Jacob is a gangster and member of the Assassin Order (Rook-Assassin).

The thing is, I thought this was a stealth game. I have no problem with the hybridization of a character's allegiance, but can we do it in a stealthy manner just once. In ACII, La Volpe and Paulo were the only secondary Assassins that came off as discreet and stealthy in their work, La Volpe in particular:

"Date of Birth: ?
Profession: Thief.

There is almost no trace of La Volpe (The Fox) in the history books. The name's obviously a pseudonym, but for whom is anyone's guess. What small data is available seems to be almost mythical.

La Volpe is reported to have robbed the Pope's carriage without any of the guards noticing, including the Pope, who was sitting inside the carriage. One night in 1467, he was seen on the rooftops of the Palazzo della Signoria, the Palazzo Medici and Santa Croce, all at the same time. Some claim that he's immortal, never aging, while others say that his violet eyes can see through buildings, perusing the contents inside."

I understand that it's only realistic that some of these Assassins have ties to more 'loud' guilds, who fight accordingly. However, once again, if we're going with allegiance hybridization, can we do it in a stealthy manner just once, where a character's Assassin ties are intertwined with a guild that can further enhance the stealth experience? Three 'loud' hyrbids we have now. I personally think a thief-Assassin would be great, better than a ninja-Assassin, since ninja were Assassins (more or less). Jacob's all about creating a gang to reclaim society for the people. How could a guy with a "steal from the rich; give to the poor" mentality be any worse?

PS: Firstly, I would be lying if I said this thread wasn't inspired by RA503's thread/idea, and my self-admittedly contradictory post in said thread. A refreshing idea, despite my silly post, that got me thinking about Ubisoft's seeming obsession with 'loud' hybrids rather than stealthy ones.

Why do people want to make this series something that it isn't? This ain't Thief.

Also, I'll admit, I'm a La Volpe fanboy, so this idea resonates with me in particular, since this seems to be what Ubisoft is all about nowadays.

LoyalACFan
10-12-2015, 04:58 AM
I mean, I'd rather just be an Assassin, but I'd prefer a thief-assassin over a pirate-assassin or a gangster-assassin or a mercenary-assassin or a samurai-assassin... Basically, if it means stealth over combat, I'm on board.

booty_fiend
10-12-2015, 05:26 AM
I mean, I'd rather just be an Assassin, but I'd prefer a thief-assassin over a pirate-assassin or a gangster-assassin or a mercenary-assassin or a samurai-assassin... Basically, if it means stealth over combat, I'm on board.
pretty much my take on this. if they're going to keep on with this thing, i'd like for it to be a mostly stealth-orientated experience for a change, and it can be any hybridization that results in that for me to be game.

edward's still my fav, though.

LoyalACFan
10-12-2015, 05:51 AM
pretty much my take on this. if they're going to keep on with this thing, i'd like for it to be a mostly stealth-orientated experience for a change, and it can be any hybridization that results in that for me to be game.

edward's still my fav, though.

Mine too, and AC4 is my favorite game in the series, but it wasn't even close to delivering what I want to get out of an Assassin's Creed game.