PDA

View Full Version : Reviews embargo

dimbismp
10-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Provided that the game won't be delayed,the release is just 11 days away.That means that we should start talking about the reviews.

Some great games like the Witcher 3 and MGSV lifted their embargo a week before release.This means that the developers and publishers were really confident of the final product and they were sure that they were going to get high scores(which truly happened).This probably won't going to happen with ACS,but,hypothetically,we may get the first reviews in 3-4 days' time.

For most games however,the embargo is lifted a couple of days before release.That didn't happen with ACU unfortunately...The review embargo was lifted during the day of release(!!!).Ubisoft feared that the low scores and the word of bugs etc would hurt their sales,so they did the unthinkable.This was a really anticonsumer move from them.

So,have you heard any news about the review embargo for ACS?If not,when do you think is it going to be lifted?

EmptyCrustacean
10-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Provided that the game won't be delayed,the release is just 11 days away.That means that we should start talking about the reviews.

Some great games like the Witcher 3 and MGSV lifted their embargo a week before release.This means that the developers and publishers were really confident of the final product and they were sure that they were going to get high scores(which truly happened).This probably won't going to happen with ACS,but,hypothetically,we may get the first reviews in 3-4 days' time.

For most games however,the embargo is lifted a couple of days before release.That didn't happen with ACU unfortunately...The review embargo was lifted during the day of release(!!!).Ubisoft feared that the low scores and the word of bugs etc would hurt their sales,so they did the unthinkable.This was a really anticonsumer move from them.

So,have you heard any news about the review embargo for ACS?If not,when do you think is it going to be lifted?

I remember being the only person on the forum who predicted Unity would suck purely based on the fact that Ubi embargoed it until the day of release. Everyone else was reassuring me with "no, no it means nothing" and look how that turned out. Make no mistake about it: if Ubisoft pull that same stunt with Syndicate that is a complete admission that the game is terrible.

pacmanate
10-11-2015, 12:24 PM
A day before, or on the day.

OR, IGN might have a review up earlier than others seeing as they are getting paid by Ubisoft to promote the **** out of Syndicate.

m4r-k7
10-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Well after Unitys release, Ubisoft got loads of crap from gaming websites about their stupid review embargos (and its correlation with the review scores) and so if they have learnt from last year maybe reviews will come out a couple of days before the release.

VestigialLlama4
10-11-2015, 03:01 PM
I am sure Ubisoft doesn't want to embargo reviews. I am also sure that they will do it if they have to, because at the end of the day, sales trump reviews.

Jessigirl2013
10-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Looks like UBIs PR team has been in full swing to show the public that they are all for gamers...:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if they lift it earlier to further show the game is WAYYYY better than Unity and to restore confidence in buyers.;)

BananaBlighter
10-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Looks like UBIs PR team has been in full swing to show the public that they are all for gamers...:rolleyes:

Wouldn't be surprised if they lift it earlier to further show the game is WAYYYY better than Unity and to restore confidence in buyers.;)

I agree.

kosmoscreed
10-12-2015, 04:24 AM
Looks to me they are trying to be more "clean" with PR this year, for example how the game was presented. I think maybe early next weak reviews will pop up, specially if Ubisoft is confident the game will review better than Unity.

booty_fiend
10-12-2015, 05:33 AM
if they don't embargo reviews, this game will sell terribly, so you can probably expect one.

syndicate is just a rehash of unity and no one is excited. just look at youtube comments on the most viewed ac syndicate vids. so much hate. lol

TimeLock09
10-12-2015, 05:51 AM
Errr excuse me, I'm excited. Who gives you the right to speak on behalf of the human race? You don't have that authority, no one does (well except for Torchwood but that's a whole different story) I wouldn't really say it's a re-hash, even though it may play like Unity. It's taking all the good things from Unity and previous games, and built upon them. This game is gonna be what ACIII was to ACIV: Black Flag, a much, much better game. I'm looking forward to it. I'm VERY excited. Victorian London is my most requested setting since ACII, and it's finally here and it's what I imagined it to look like and it's beautiful. So yeah, there are others out there that are excited, of course there is.

booty_fiend
10-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Errr excuse me, I'm excited. Who gives you the right to speak on behalf of the human race? You don't have that authority, no one does (well except for Torchwood but that's a whole different story) I wouldn't really say it's a re-hash, even though it may play like Unity. It's taking all the good things from Unity and previous games, and built upon them. This game is gonna be what ACIII was to ACIV: Black Flag, a much, much better game. I'm looking forward to it. I'm VERY excited. Victorian London is my most requested setting since ACII, and it's finally here and it's what I imagined it to look like and it's beautiful. So yeah, there are others out there that are excited, of course there is.
lol calm down. no need to get butthurt. i wasn't speaking on behalf of the human race. i OBVIOUSLY said youtube, not humanity.

you rustled?

TimeLock09
10-12-2015, 06:36 AM
lol :P I'm calm, and nahh :P Anyway, kinda expecting the embargo to lift towards the end of this week. If not, then deffo monday or tuesday. It's gonna be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Moultonborough
10-12-2015, 07:43 AM
if they don't embargo reviews, this game will sell terribly, so you can probably expect one.

syndicate is just a rehash of unity and no one is excited. just look at youtube comments on the most viewed ac syndicate vids. so much hate. lol

1) While not being excited may be true for a lot of people (imo) there is just as much if not more who are. 2) Because it's cool to hate on AC and Ubisoft right now. Also I would say that those who are excited just have not spoken up (or buried) and/or called trolls. So people don't bother to say anything.

As for it being the "AC4" for what was AC3 that will only be proven at launch. It was well underway production wise came out and the reaction it caused. So it could go either way quality wise. Everyone should take into account that what may be "good" to someone does not mean it is for other people. Each person has their own thoughts.

Now on topic, after the game was released Ubisoft for a whole lot of **** from every game website and from other media reviews (like a newspaper for example). I VERY much doubt that Ubisoft will want that type of publicity again. I would roughly guess they will be released a week to 3 days beforehand which is not far away from now. Only time will tell however.

EDIT: Just to point out Youtube advise NEVER argue with YouTubers they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

SofaJockey
10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
If the embargo lifts end of this week, or early next week, that's fine.
If we've heard nothing by next Wednesday, then the game's in trouble...

pacmanate
10-12-2015, 01:04 PM
If the embargo lifts end of this week, or early next week, that's fine.
If we've heard nothing by next Wednesday, then the game's in trouble...

Would have to agree with that last sentence for sure. Anything that embargos its reviews until a day before or on the day means the game is crap.

Sushiglutton
10-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Would have to agree with that last sentence for sure. Anything that embargos its reviews until a day before or on the day means the game is crap.

I dunno. It could be that reviewers find it too similar to previous AC games and give it say a 7. Probably not something Ubi wanna use in the marketing which means they likely embargo to launch. At the same time it doesn't mean the game is broken.

SofaJockey
10-12-2015, 01:27 PM

Let's have a little fun with this then...
I'm going to postulate a relationship between the embargo date and the meteoritic user score:

If the embargo drops on the following days, I'm speculating the game will get the following ratings:

Friday 16th - 9.0
Monday 19th - 8.0
Tuesday 20th - 7.0
Wednesday 21st - 6.0
Thursday 22nd - 5.0
Friday 23rd - 4.0

An early embargo only profits the company if the game is good.
A late embargo is a cheap way of covering up a bad game.

Marketing will know the truth already, their actions will speak louder than words.

I hope the game will be awesome, but the proof is in the pudding and we can follow the behaviour...

pacmanate
10-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I dunno. It could be that reviewers find it too similar to previous AC games and give it say a 7. Probably not something Ubi wanna use in the marketing which means they likely embargo to launch. At the same time it doesn't mean the game is broken.

I said the game is crap, not broken.

And if its too similar to past AC games it should get a 7.

LieutenantRex
10-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that this is fine. I think too many developers are being pressured to release their games to a biased group of elitists in the gaming industry. The AC series has never fared well in the face of reviewers, save Black Flag, but that game was for casuals anyway.

pacmanate
10-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that this is fine. I think too many developers are being pressured to release their games to a biased group of elitists in the gaming industry. The AC series has never fared well in the face of reviewers, save Black Flag, but that game was for casuals anyway.

AC Isn't even worthy of Triple A status anymore.

Poor story telling, past and MD
Poor animations - Goes for cutscenes, lip syncs, combat
Poor performance - Framerates, draw distances
Dumb AI - Guards 6th sense, seeing a dead body then not giving a crap after 5 seconds
Lackluster combat

The only thing that makes AC a triple A game is the recreation of the cities, everything else is mediocre at best now.

strigoi1958
10-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I don't care :D .. Most reviews are either paid, bias, do not like the genre or is down to personal taste.... so it means nothing to me.... And previously I have bought a 1/10 C.O.D. game the the reviews said was 9/10 awesome, so much for listening to someone paid to repeat a script.

I could review several really awesome games that I found to be awkward, uninteresting or unappealing... they're still awesome game regardless of how they seemed to me.

Also when reviews started out.... almost everything was 10/10 Epic blockbuster... people complained (not every game can be 10/10). So to become more realistic they had to find little things to highlight in order to lower the scores. Some people focus on those little things and spend time going across the internet repeating them with an "I told you so" attitude....

Here is the only place I look for reviews... the console section, I play on a PC (get the games 4 weeks before me :eek: ) and people here write about the games with an understanding others may not have.

Thanks for reminding me Pacmanate... also on the PC section people can happily ignore a great game while being obsessed with unimportant things like "it dropped 8 FPS there"... someone complained once that the Menu screen was a lower FPS... :confused:

harsab
10-12-2015, 02:54 PM
i honestly hope Syndicates reviews come out so good that most doubters on here will shut up for a long long time!

It's like most people on here want the game to fail. Just won't accept the fact they are actually making a decent game no matter what the case.

Always looking for a flaw, smh.

cawatrooper9
10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Honestly, I think that some of the overly harsh criticisms of Unity stemmed from the review embargo. Syndicate would be foolish to do the same.

strigoi1958
10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I think that some of the overly harsh criticisms of Unity stemmed from the review embargo. Syndicate would be foolish to do the same.

Maybe because the reviewers didn't get their free game, the recognition they feel their opinion is entitled. Plus it probably undermines reviewers.... imagine if it became a trend and other games followed suit and stopped reviews.

I agree with harsab... I do understand the people on here, they felt drawn in by certain things (1st Civ, MD) and to me they were never anything to do with the game... just a prelude, (put down the pitchforks and disperse the lynch mob ;) ) BUT it was such a great prelude that it affected a lot of people (which is great ) but to such an extent that they are feel let down by any game that doesn't have them...
It has become a love/hate relationship... they love the early games and hate the late games but they would love the next games if those things were back... so anything they say... no matter how spiteful is coming from a love of AC so I definitely understand that.

I want everyone to enjoy AC even if it means I have to watch those immersion breaking MD sections (that could all be at the end so I can skip them ;))

cawatrooper9
10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Maybe because the reviewers didn't get their free game, the recognition they feel their opinion is entitled. Plus it probably undermines reviewers.... imagine if it became a trend and other games followed suit and stopped reviews.

Perhaps, though I imagine it had more to do with the embargo making it look like there was something Unity was trying to hide. Perhaps I'm lucky in that my PS4 copy of Unity was very much playable and beautiful right out of the box, but I think there were other people in a similar situation as me looking to have some issue with the game.

The state of modern entertainment, especially gaming, is that everyone wants to be a critic. That's fine, as a critical lens is essential to improving any form of art, but presently it seems that everyone wants to be the Roger Ebert of video games (AVGN, if you'd prefer). So, when reviewers began bemoaning the embargo, people began wondering why the embargo existed. When people began wondering, they began seeing the game's flaws more prominently.

Unity is not the strongest game in the franchise (at least in my opinion), despite how badly Amancio wanted it to be, but I do think that it gets far more hate than it deserves solely based on merit.

VoXngola
10-12-2015, 03:48 PM
i honestly hope Syndicates reviews come out so good that most doubters on here will shut up for a long long time!

It's like most people on here want the game to fail. Just won't accept the fact they are actually making a decent game no matter what the case.

Pretty sure everybody here wants the game to surprise them and end up being good. You have to understand that people here have become frustrated with a series they once loved dearly and held in high regard. All we've seen from Syndicate so far isn't blowing anybody's socks off. Of course people will be more negative, it's a natural reaction. What good would it be if everyone just accepts everything that Ubi does? That's blatant fanboyism. People critizice AC because they love the series and want it to be better than it is. To not do so, especially with AC's current situation, would be really ignorant.

Trust me, I want Syndicat to be great. But there's a good reason why some people have a negative outlook on it.

SixKeys
10-12-2015, 04:00 PM
It's also about the scale and hype. Unity was the first next-gen AC game and promised a lot of things many people had been requesting for years. Ubi's marketing department was in full force regardless of the fact that they most certainly knew the game was in a sorry state. They were busy selling a dozen different overpriced collector's editions and promoting pre-orders and the season pass. People had already criticized Ubi for those things before, but when Unity turned out to be a broken game, all that pent-up frustration just exploded. By refusing to delay a game so badly in need of extra time, Ubi seemingly proved itself to be the greedy, uncaring company people had been accusing them of for years.

I don't think this year's marketing has been perfect - the numerous collector's editions still exist and they're still promoting pre-order bonuses and season pass before proving they've earned the consumerbase's respect. But at least it's been a lot better about transparency, collecting player feedback and showing a more human side of the company.

strigoi1958
10-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Pretty sure everybody here wants the game to surprise them and end up being good. You have to understand that people here have become frustrated with a series they once loved dearly and held in high regard. All we've seen from Syndicate so far isn't blowing anybody's socks off. Of course people will be more negative, it's a natural reaction. What good would it be if everyone just accepts everything that Ubi does? That's blatant fanboyism. People critizice AC because they love the series and want it to be better than it is. To not do so, especially with AC's current situation, would be really ignorant.

Trust me, I want Syndicat to be great. But there's a good reason why some people have a negative outlook on it.

As I already pointed out.... Some people already dislike every game in the AC series if it doesn't have a big MD 1st CIV section (that too could be called fanboyism) so a negative outlook will always be assumed (by them) until they feel that they are getting the game how they prefer it....

For others who like the action and gameplay in the historical setting ... the series has constantly been good. It's not fanboyism to enjoy something... ( I never understand why some people profess to be die-hard fans (fanboys) then use the word Fanboy to try to devalue anyone with a different opinion... a Fanboy is someone who is passionate about something and I think most of the posters here fit into this category... if I do then great I certainly don't see being passionate about something as being bad :D

It doesn't bother me if billions of people enjoy Mass effect 3, MGSV Bioshock infinity,The witcher series, Diablo series... they weren't for me I loved ME 1 and ME 2 but Mas Effect 3 was shockingly bad for me... it doesn't follow that ME1 and 2 were better and anyone who likes ME3 is a fanboy and their opinion is worthless..or that ME3 or future ME games are bad I simply didn't like the game... I have no bitterness towards Bioware and I certainly don' think negatively towards ME4 even if it doesn't include the things from ME1 and 2 that I loved... the series is heading in a direction that I wasn't going.

If we have a preset opinion that all games will be bad until it has MD and 1st CIV we close our minds.

@cawatrooper9 "Unity is not the strongest game in the franchise (at least in my opinion), despite how badly Amancio wanted it to be, but I do think that it gets far more hate than it deserves solely based on merit."

Too true, but for me anything new I have no expectations... anyone going back to AC1 now after playing AC4 will see AC1 had huge potential but was not great, it was a little repetitive but it was the basis for greatness... same for watchdogs, AC3 and Unity... AC3 for me was amazing... Unity showed big steps forward and potential (for me) apart from it being huge and no more loading screens or animations for moving area to area or entering a building. It was the first next gen and possibly people were expecting a lot and maybe Ubi overdid it and gave us more than we needed with collectibles and less story wise but it was still good but, not the strongest.

EmptyCrustacean
10-13-2015, 11:17 AM

It does feel that way sometimes. But I think moreover people want Ubi to be humbled so they can take a year off to make the best possble game they can and not take the fans' loyalty for granted.

Yep, critics tend to punish artists that withold their work from being reviewed prior to release and it almost gives validation to the review: "oh, this game is rubbish and even the devs thought so because they wouldn't allow us to say our thoughts until day of release". But tbf 99.9% of on-the-day embargo releases are bad.

Jessigirl2013
10-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Looks to me they are trying to be more "clean" with PR this year, for example how the game was presented. I think maybe early next weak reviews will pop up, specially if Ubisoft is confident the game will review better than Unity.

I agree.

They're released videos such as the AC: how it all began, and a Syndicate video where they implied they changed features for gamers.

To me they all look like PR to show that they are,

1. Are loyal to past games.
and
2. To show that they care about gamers.

Two things that they have been heavily criticised about, Especially after Unity.

Did anyone else think this?;)

dxsxhxcx
10-13-2015, 01:21 PM
I agree.

They're released videos such as the AC: how it all began, and a Syndicate video where they implied they changed features for gamers.

To me they all look like PR to show that they are,

1. Are loyal to past games.
and
2. To show that they care about gamers.

Two things that they have been heavily criticised about, Especially after Unity.

Did anyone else think this?;)

of course it's PR move, and I'm certain that pretty soon (assuming Syndicate will have a better reception than Unity) they'll come back with all they have, treating the game as it was Jesus' second coming and showing demos that won't reflect the final product...

Perk89
10-13-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm waiting for the reviews either way. I've been really frustrated by what I've seen from the demos. Not in terms of gameplay, but world environment.

Ubi did Victorian London because the fans wanted it, but what we've seen has been a far cry from what I think many of us had in mind. Where are the beautiful, colorful Victorian homes? Where are the flower filled gardens surronding beautiful palaces? Where are the snow capped landscapes dotted with red and green Christmas decor?

So far all we have seen is.. Well... Paris. I get that the Indusrtial aspect of the time period holds political intrigue that is condusive to the narrative, but not everything has to be so drab and brown.

I'm also skeptical as to how much modern day there actually is and am waiting until I either hear the mainstream review sites whine and fans cheer about it's return, or the inverse which will probably steer me away.

I was blessed with a 60 dollar gift card to Gamestop, which is why I'm considering jumping in again this year-but to be quite frank, I am out of Xbox Live and could put it towards that, since, afterall, Fallout 4 is close.

RVSage
10-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Unity created a lot of hype and expectations and it took a big crash , with the worst launch possible. The review embargo added fuel to the fire. I expect the reviews in early next week. Let's wait and watch.

If the game is good enough for most of the audience, then it will certainly succeed. Different people have different priorities. Story is the most important to me (at least with these kind of historical conspiracy games), followed by gameplay and graphics. I would look for these in the reviews, Unity was a big disappointment story wise

EmptyCrustacean
10-13-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm waiting for the reviews either way. I've been really frustrated by what I've seen from the demos. Not in terms of gameplay, but world environment.

Ubi did Victorian London because the fans wanted it, but what we've seen has been a far cry from what I think many of us had in mind. Where are the beautiful, colorful Victorian homes? Where are the flower filled gardens surronding beautiful palaces? Where are the snow capped landscapes dotted with red and green Christmas decor?

So far all we have seen is.. Well... Paris. I get that the Indusrtial aspect of the time period holds political intrigue that is condusive to the narrative, but not everything has to be so drab and brown.

Forgive me because I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. All of what you desire are in the demos and the world is considerably brighter and prettier than Unity. Tonally, the characters and story seem lighter as well.

cawatrooper9
10-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Forgive me because I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not. All of what you desire are in the demos and the world is considerably brighter and prettier than Unity. Tonally, the characters and story seem lighter as well.

Agreed. The moving carriages, boats, trains all make the city come alive like none other before!

Maybe he wanted Bloodborne with Assassins? :p

Perk89
10-13-2015, 05:26 PM
"Brightness" does nothing for me, and vehicles are a separate aspect entirely.

The color palette-what we've seen-has been horridly bland. It's the same array of browns and blacks and greys which are straight out of Unity.

The best games in the series have beautifully rendered the time period we were in. Perhaps photorealism has robbed the game's art style of it's charm-but either way you cut it-it's bland and dry, and so far, architecturally, we haven't seen much of an intriguing shift either.

cawatrooper9
10-13-2015, 05:42 PM
The color palette-what we've seen-has been horridly bland. It's the same array of browns and blacks and greys which are straight out of Unity.

Some areas of the game are like that, as is natural, but from what I've seen London looks far more colorful than Paris.

BananaBlighter
10-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Some areas of the game are like that, as is natural, but from what I've seen London looks far more colorful than Paris.

Agreed, London looks great IMO, I don't know what Perk89 is talking about. If you look across London from any sync point it is obvious that it isn't the same colour palette as Unity, there is a lot more variety in housing, especially now that many building are made with deep red bricks.

dimbismp
10-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Tomorrow there will be just one week left until ACS is released.As i said,the review embargo for some great games(TW3 and MGSV) was lifted one week before release.So...this means that there is a (really minor) chance that we will get the first reviews tomorrow...

Anyway,we are going to get them sooner or later.I don't expect the last year's fiasco to happen again...

I was thinking...If someone is following any guys from IGN,Gamespot etc on social media,they could ask them about the review embargo.Just a thought.

Moultonborough
10-16-2015, 07:51 AM
IIRC Assassin's Creed (pre-Unity) allows reviews to be released two or three days before the game launches. After the Unity fiasco I expect them to go back to that formula. Unless they force a Embargo till a week from now I don't see the point of ending it on a Friday. One last thing......usually (no matter which game) the sites post a few days before when the review will be available neither GameSpot or IGN (among others) have done this. My guess will be for Tuesday or Wednesday.

kosmoscreed
10-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Embargo lifts on thursday 4:00AM Pacific.

dimbismp
10-16-2015, 12:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/shinobi602/status/654875221317582848

Next thursday.I suspect that the first players' impressions(and the first spoilers sadly),will be out way before,maybe this weekend.

SofaJockey
10-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Are these guesses?
Or are any of these credible embargo release dates?

dimbismp
10-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Are these guesses?
Or are any of these credible embargo release dates?
It was revealed by Shinobi,a reliable GAF member.

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Thursday is far too late. Should be up latest Tuesday. Anything later is smelly.

RVSage
10-16-2015, 05:04 PM
So no reviews till Thursday that's good. First player impressions this weekend? Google you better not show it to me in google now. Darn it. I hate their suggestions program .

BananaBlighter
10-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Thursday is far too late. Should be up latest Tuesday. Anything later is smelly.

I agree, I don't like it at all.

Jessigirl2013
10-16-2015, 05:22 PM

I'm also skeptical as to how much modern day there actually is and am waiting until I either hear the mainstream review sites whine and fans cheer about it's return, or the inverse which will probably steer me away.

I was blessed with a 60 dollar gift card to Gamestop, which is why I'm considering jumping in again this year-but to be quite frank, I am out of Xbox Live and could put it towards that, since, afterall, Fallout 4 is close.

When I heard that it was in Victorian London what I was wanting was it to be dark and gritty.
I don't know about how the Victorians were taught for other people, But we were given the impression they were rather dark times....
Child labour, and barbaric medicine comes to mind...

I was disappointed with earlier gameplay as it seemed a lot like Unity, just with awful cockney accents.:rolleyes:
Lets not forget the silly carriage chases and bizarre gang logic...

However the recent trailers have had a darker tone and I think its quite fitting and I think its what the series has needed to make the game stand out from the rest.
I'm not into horror games and AC wouldn't fit that genre, But I would be glad if the game has darker tone being in Victorian London.

Looking at the story and dreadful crimes trailer it makes this seem like the case, The dreadful crimes trailer gave a psychological thriller vibe... Perhaps the missions appeal to those who enjoy horror games?

I expected Unity to have this sort of darkness being the French revolution... But then again it hardly followed it and was overhyped in the early trailer IMO.

So no reviews till Thursday that's good. First player impressions this weekend? Google you better not show it to me in google now. Darn it. I hate their suggestions program .

I know... :rolleyes:

cawatrooper9
10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Well, at least it's technically before the game's release this time... :p

SofaJockey
10-16-2015, 06:16 PM

It is, though physical pre-orders will have just about shipped for following day delivery.
If I was cynical, this would disappoint me a lot, as it is it disappoints me a little, pending reviews.

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 07:10 PM

That's exactly what Ubisoft wants us to think lol

SixKeys
10-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Wow. Thursday does not bode well. :/

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 07:28 PM
This doesn't seem like it'll end well. If they wanted to win some extra points, they'd have lifted the embargo at least Tuesday. But since it's Thursday, i'm assuming the reviews are not that great, but they're doing thursday to salvage some of their public image.

RVSage
10-16-2015, 07:55 PM
I wonder if people like digital foundry, will put up their performance analysis, before the release on Friday. That would be great to see

harsab
10-16-2015, 08:09 PM
*hopes reviews come out so great that everyone on here will not complain until a long time*

RVSage
10-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Looks like player / youtuber reviews/walkthroughs are starting as early as Monday October 19,2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dfMfvPKcCQ

harsab
10-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Also if I'm not mistaken most previous AC'S reviews have come out on day of release no?

dimbismp
10-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Also if I'm not mistaken most previous AC'S reviews have come out on day of release no?
No,this happened only last year with ACU iirc

I wonder if people like digital foundry, will put up their performance analysis, before the release on Friday. That would be great to see
If the game gets low scores,the potential performance issues won't be the main problem.

This doesn't seem like it'll end well. If they wanted to win some extra points, they'd have lifted the embargo at least Tuesday. But since it's Thursday, i'm assuming the reviews are not that great, but they're doing thursday to salvage some of their public image.

Wow. Thursday does not bode well. :/
True...Prepare for the worst.

Journey93
10-16-2015, 08:46 PM
*hopes reviews come out so great that everyone on here will not complain until a long time*

Its not like reviews mean that a game will be great 100%. The player reception counts a lot too.
I remember DA2 getting high scores everywhere but the game flopped in the gaming community (I liked it..).

Personally I haven't pre ordered Syndicate and even though I do want it to be good, at the same time that would mean that Ubi will continue to milk this series every freaking year.
Thats not something I want either

harsab
10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Its not like reviews mean that a game will be great 100%. The player reception counts a lot too.
I remember DA2 getting high scores everywhere but the game flopped in the gaming community (I liked it..).

Personally I haven't pre ordered Syndicate and even though I do want it to be good, at the same time that would mean that Ubi will continue to milk this series every freaking year.
Thats not something I want either

I honestly think review wise syndicate will be in the 8's/9's. Gaming community wise i think it will be a hit, people don't seem to understand that Ubisoft just simply can't make a mistake again with AC or the franchise will be in serious jeopardy. The only thing the game might suffer from is glitches other then that i really don't see any other reason for the game to be awful.

I'm super excited from what i've seen tbh.

harsab
10-16-2015, 08:54 PM
When were AC BF & 3's review embargo's released?

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 08:56 PM
When were AC BF & 3's review embargo's released?
A day before for AC III and on the same day for Black Flag

pacmanate
10-16-2015, 08:57 PM
We're screwed then, the game must have some issues.

Its good marketing strategy that if your game gets great reviews you put them reviews out early to make sure people know the game is good so they can get pre-orders in

If the game isn't good, a good marketing strategy is to put the review up the day before or on the day. That way anyone who has pre-ordered won't cancel if the reviews are bad.

TO_M
10-16-2015, 08:59 PM
It doesn't look good for Syndicate based on the late lift of the embargo.
I'm curious to see if we will see another "flop" this year. I'm kind of hoping Syndicate crashes and burns if it means the end of the annulization (although I don't want them to end the series).

pacmanate
10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
If syndicate pulls another Unity then this franchise is lost and Ubisoft need a serious rethink.

harsab
10-16-2015, 09:03 PM
A day before for AC III and on the same day for Black Flag

erm...then why are we complaining? i'm confused. If i'm not mistaken BF had great reviews.

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 09:04 PM
erm...then why are we complaining? i'm confused. If i'm not mistaken BF had great reviews.
I think it's in combination with the fact that Ubisoft has been pretty silent this close to release. We didn't even get a "GONE GOLD" announcement like every year.

pacmanate
10-16-2015, 09:05 PM

Because of Unity, doesn't really give us any hope that the game won't flop

RVSage
10-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Even I don't mind it coming out a day before. or on day like BF. But, this time it is a bit different, because of Unity's launch, people would expect earlier reviews as an indication of confidence from ubisoft. But since it is not the case, people are worried it might be another Unity. Which I feel is a reasonable worry

harsab
10-16-2015, 09:11 PM
i think we're speaking to soon here yeah maybe it's not the smartest idea to have the review embargo a day before but I'm confident that the game won't be another Unity.

STDlyMcStudpants
10-16-2015, 10:30 PM
As a game reviewer that deals with embargoes let me shine some light and squish your worries my dear friends.
Assassin's Creed Syndicate releases in 7 days.
Review copies have started to go out TODAY
Embargo is in 6 days (The day before launch)
I would be suspicious of an EARLIER embargo considering theres no possible way to comprehensively review a retail Assassins Creed game in 4 days time.
A week is even pushing it.
Don't you worry don't you worry child.
Syndicate will get above average scores. :)

BananaBlighter
10-16-2015, 10:35 PM
As a game reviewer that deals with embargoes let me shine some light and squish your worries my dear friends.
I would be suspicious of an EARLIER embargo considering theres no possible way to comprehensively review a retail Assassins Creed game in 4 days time.

:D

Assassin_M
10-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Ah, that is certainly a good point to consider. I hope you don't mind my asking, but how do you know the review copies went out today? And why so late?

EmptyCrustacean
10-16-2015, 11:40 PM

Um, why didn't Ubi just send out the copies earlier to allow reviewers to comprehensively review the game in time for Tuesday?

harsab
10-17-2015, 12:16 AM

Thank you for this post, hopefully people will remain calm now.

Um, why didn't Ubi just send out the copies earlier to allow reviewers to comprehensively review the game in time for Tuesday?

Maybe the game wasn't finished?

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Whelp, looks like STD was right. Lots of reviewers on twitter showing off their newly arrived copies of Syndicate.

dxsxhxcx
10-17-2015, 12:49 AM

if they don't have time to comprehensively work in the game, why should the reviewers get such treatment? :rolleyes:

harsab
10-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Whelp, looks like STD was right. Lots of reviewers on twitter showing off their newly arrived copies of Syndicate.

I saw Tetra Ninja talk about it on twitter & how ''it's a very good sign'' who else did you see post about it?

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 01:05 AM
I saw Tetra Ninja talk about it on twitter & how ''it's a very good sign'' who else did you see post about it?
PS4 Trophies, VOYCE production and SeanXLong

harsab
10-17-2015, 01:26 AM
PS4 Trophies, VOYCE production and SeanXLong

PS4 Trophies is implying the game is good since he has completed sequence 1....hmmmmmmmmmm i have a good feeling about this.

VoXngola
10-17-2015, 01:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilG35dD05s4

STDlyMcStudpants
10-17-2015, 02:15 AM
Ah, that is certainly a good point to consider. I hope you don't mind my asking, but how do you know the review copies went out today? And why so late?

I put in a request in September to review the game and was told the date to expect a response. :D
It has been in stone for a while ;P
looks like they took the extra time to polish... Witcher 3 I got 4 days before release, so it isnt common to get games weeks earlier.

ShoryukenMan
10-17-2015, 03:22 AM

I give this review a 10/10.

ze_topazio
10-17-2015, 03:29 AM
I give this review a 10/10.

I give your review of the review 10/10.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 06:16 AM

To save everyone 3 minutes of their life, it's not a real review. It's a really unfunny guy with a lisp trolling and saying things that devs have said to promote the game. You shouldn't have posted this video even as a joke as it's off topic.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Maybe the game wasn't finished?

This close to release?!

Radman500
10-17-2015, 06:47 AM
so how are the reviews for this game so far?

SixKeys
10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
This close to release?!

Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
10-17-2015, 07:50 AM
Wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:
Hey now. They gave us star players their first ever finished game. That Ubisoft games rubix cube was finished. You forget so quickly.

king-hailz
10-17-2015, 09:15 AM
The embargo lifts on Thursday, the game releases on Friday, don't expect all review's to be out on Thursday, some will be out on day of release. The game will be getting above average score, 7s and 8s expect a higher score from IGN based on how much they have been promoting this game recently. The metascore, will be around 82.

Prediction:
Pros-
Good characters
Refined gameplay
Rope launcher
Combat
Side missions
London
Cons-
Normal AC problem's
You've seen all of it before
Combat
Rope launcher (takes away from the climbing)
Bugs
Frame rate issues

You can probably expect these pros and cons from the reviews.

In any case, you should buy it if you have enjoyed AC games from the last there years or so. If not, or if you didn't like Unity you probaby won't like this.

It won't be critical acclaimed like MGS5 or AC2 it'll be rated like the general AC game.

dimbismp
10-17-2015, 11:17 AM
If it wasn't for last year,maybe the embargo would be lifted on the 23rd...Who knows

Locopells
10-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Gonna be creating a couple of threads shortly, one for press reviews, and one for gamer/forum member impressions, so keep your eyes open!

harsab
10-17-2015, 11:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA8BjbjZ-RA

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 11:56 AM
https://t.co/skEnEBICIr

To save people time, this YouTube link is just NukemDukem unboxing his copy of Syndicate - something we're all going to do next Friday anyway. Nothing to see here.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Ubisoft does not believe in Assassinís Creed Syndicate.

Iím sorry but anybody who has been viewing these boards regularly knows that I have been a cheerleader of this game from the moment I saw the new game play footage of sequence 3 and 7. But my faith is now wavering because Ubisoftís faith is clearly wavering.

Ubisoft does not believe in Assassinís Creed Syndicate.

Even the rope launcher grew on me - it starts to make sense as we move towards more modern times and we need a fresh, revamped way of getting around. Ambient music is back and Ubisoft seems to have found a compromise between in-game environment sound and cinematic sound. The relationship between Jacob and Evie seems great despite the fact that Ubisoft refuses to allow us to play as a female character for 100% of the game. I love the light tone, the humour, the dialogue and the bright colours of the city is an eye pleaser Ė and this is coming from someone that hates London.

But Ubisoft does not believe in Assassinís Creed Syndicate.

Itís like having a balloon popped to see that Ubisoft thinks the game that Iíve been rooting for these past few weeks is worthless. Theyíve tried to soften the blow by lifting the embargo just the day before release rather than on the day but itís transparent. A one-day embargo is far too close for gamers to decide whether they should pre-order or not. It seems odd because Black Flag proved that people will forgive Ubisoft for previous failures if they make a good game. Nobody will hate on Syndicate for the sake of it if it is good. Therefore, Ubi should have nothing to worry about unless, of course, the game is bad.

That is the only reason that I imagine Ubisoft does not believe in Assassinís Creed Syndicate.

This, of course, does not necessarily mean that the game will be bad but 99% of time when creators try to hide their work from journalists it is because they know it sucks and they need to make as much launch money as possible from pre-orders before word-of-mouth gets out. Ubisoft didnít even announce that the game had gone gold this time because they know then that they canít hide under the veil of ďItís pre alpha footage!Ē

I felt this topic deserved its own thread because fans arenít as worried as they should be and Iíve seen the usual suspects try to spin this into a positive already but I really canít see how. Ubisoft does not believe in Assassinís Creed Syndicate so why should we?

breakdownthewall
10-17-2015, 12:53 PM
I realized Ubisoft gave up on the story when I played Black Flag and Unity. To me personally, storyline had been the most compelling aspect of the entire franchise, and if Ubisoft gave up on it themselves, how would I not?
Gameplay really isn't anything special, either. Stealth is REALLY outdated by today's standards (look at Last of Us), and you get reminded of that each time you run up to a guard from behind to kill him and he doesn't notice it.

I never planned on getting Syndicate, but honestly every now and then I consider getting it, purely because I used to LOVE the franchise but it is sad what it has become.

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Ubisoft does not believe in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate.

To paraphrase Dostoevsky, "When Ubisoft believes in Syndicate, it does not believe that it believes in Syndicate but when Ubisoft does not believe in Syndicate it still does not believe that it does not believe in Syndicate."

A one-day embargo is far too close for gamers to decide whether they should pre-order or not.

To paraphrase one of the few good lines of dialogue in Unity, "That's the thing with gamers. Give them a one-day embargo before release and they ask no questions before writing off the game. Predictable that way."

...I’ve seen the usual suspects try to spin this into a positive already but I really can’t see how.

"To know and see things differently, we must first think differently."
-- Edward Kenway, Forsaken.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 01:29 PM
To paraphrase Dostoevsky, "When Ubisoft believes in Syndicate, it does not believe that it believes in Syndicate but when Ubisoft does not believe in Syndicate it still does not believe that it does not believe in Syndicate."

Vestigial: "Look everybody! Look how well read I am! I can quote Dostoevsky and everything!"

To paraphrase one of the few good lines of dialogue in Unity, "That's the thing with gamers. Give them a one-day embargo before release and they ask no questions before writing off the game. Predictable that way."

The fact that you used Unity as a source of dialogue to paraphrase renders your post meaningless.

"To know and see things differently, we must first think differently."
-- Edward Kenway, Forsaken.

I'm sorry - I don't listen to ex pirates that once saw nothing wrong with killing and stealing for fame and fortune. I also wouldn't take advice from an Assassin that got his *** handed to him by a bunch of thugs in his early 40s lol

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Vestigial: "Look everybody! Look how well read I am! I can quote Dostoevsky and everything!"

How did Ezio define a Templar: "Men who do not read."

I'm sorry...

No you are not.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 01:56 PM
How did Ezio define a Templar: "Men who do not read."

You've quoted something out of Revelations because you know I hate that game. Cute.

No you are not.

Sorry - I'm British. I thought you love British people? We're so, you know, exotic lol

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry - I'm British.

That explains so much.

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 03:43 PM
That explains so much.

Do elaborate.

dimbismp
10-17-2015, 04:02 PM
You are getting off-topic guys...Take it to PMs

VestigialLlama4
10-17-2015, 04:18 PM
You are getting off-topic guys...Take it to PMs

It was on topic, I was questioning his beliefs about Ubisoft's lack of belief in Syndicate and its relation to lifting the embargo on reviews before the game.

Apparently it doesn't occur that "lifting the embargo" merely means that the reviews can be published at that time not that the reviews have to be written after that time.

It doesn't mean or imply anything in particular but some people feel the need to compose a sermon with ringing lines in the fashion of Mark Antony stating "Brutus is a honorable man and Ubisoft does not believe in Syndicate".

strigoi1958
10-17-2015, 07:54 PM
There's a big difference between games reviewers and music reviewers... you of all people should know that EmptyC.

Very few Game reviewers are free to give an honest unpaid review.... and even that wouldn't prevent their own personal taste from adding to the negative... or positive points.

Last year a lot of reviewers felt snubbed... I'm not saying it will influence them but it might... Unless they have got their 30 pieces of silver.:D

I review my own games... I have been quite capable of making my own decision on what I like without the need to listen to someone who wants fame or money for their opinion.

If you have never bought something that you thought was not great that got rave reviews..... you're lucky :D

EmptyCrustacean
10-17-2015, 09:51 PM
There's a big difference between games reviewers and music reviewers... you of all people should know that EmptyC.

Very few Game reviewers are free to give an honest unpaid review.... and even that wouldn't prevent their own personal taste from adding to the negative... or positive points.

Last year a lot of reviewers felt snubbed... I'm not saying it will influence them but it might... Unless they have got their 30 pieces of silver.:D

I review my own games... I have been quite capable of making my own decision on what I like without the need to listen to someone who wants fame or money for their opinion.

If you have never bought something that you thought was not great that got rave reviews..... you're lucky :D

Shadow of Mordor. :mad: That also had its embargo lift on the day of release... and it's crap. I know everyone likes it but it's terrible and OP. I'm not saying that critics don't get it wrong - I NEVER read music reviews but gaming critique is usually spot on for me. My fave is probably GameSpot. I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to advice be it from a professional critic or a friend.

Black_Widow9
10-17-2015, 10:41 PM
If you do see them pop up please make sure to post them here wrapped in a tidy little SPOILER TAG PACKAGE (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/938931-*IMPORTANT*-Please-read-SPOILER-WARNING-RULES!-UPDATED)-
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1299091-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-Press-Reviews-(Console)-**POTENTIAL-SPOILERS**

I-Like-Pie45
10-17-2015, 10:44 PM
isn't it a spoiler to let someone know that there will be spoilers for spoilers in the game

munch munch

Black_Widow9
10-17-2015, 10:55 PM
isn't it a spoiler to let someone know that there will be spoilers for spoilers in the game

munch munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKfhnuxFRE

RVSage
10-17-2015, 11:01 PM
EmptyCrustacean, The one day before release review embargo lift , may not be ideal, but it is not the first time, as M pointed out earlier, it was the case with black flag and we all know how black flag succeeded. And you said the game is bad, but I have not seen substantial information to say the same. Again "you" think the game is bad, because Ubisoft would not allow earlier reviews. But the game's walk-through will be available starting Monday on various youtube channels(NukemDukem's channel). Maybe you could watch the entire game on youtube? If you so badly need a review, who better do a review than yourself? As it is, other's opinions , matters little to you.

strigoi1958
10-17-2015, 11:06 PM
Shadow of Mordor. :mad: That also had its embargo lift on the day of release... and it's crap. I know everyone likes it but it's terrible and OP. I'm not saying that critics don't get it wrong - I NEVER read music reviews but gaming critique is usually spot on for me. My fave is probably GameSpot. I don't think there's anything wrong with listening to advice be it from a professional critic or a friend.

If everyone likes it... It cannot be crap to them.. I'm actually playing it now :) its barman moves in lord of the rings :)

COD MW2 paid reviews all said it was an epic blockbuster... Within an hour of release the user reviews of 0 and 1 out of 10 started pouring in. . too late for me I'd already spent 55 pounds on a book and a 3 hour game. When a company can flex its muscles and threaten to withdraw advertising revenue or it pays for reviews to be more positive... It takes away any credibility. Gamespot also gave it a 9 superb... Which lost them a lot of credibility.

I place much more faith in views i find here.... But even they don't sway me 1 way or the other.

SenseHomunculus
10-18-2015, 12:29 AM
I know everyone likes it but it's terrible

This is a quote worthy of the late great Yogi Berra. ;)

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 10:00 AM
This is a quote worthy of the late great Yogi Berra. ;)

Not necessarily because popularity doesn't mean good. It just means that it's popular.

maniyea122
10-18-2015, 10:15 AM
the first 40 mins of the game has been leaked.. time to go..

SofaJockey
10-18-2015, 12:08 PM

(sigh) at least there is no need to go and watch it,
though it won't be long before someone posts:

'what do you think about x happening to y in the ending?'

or similar...

Moultonborough
10-18-2015, 12:16 PM

or similar...

I typed in a bunch of possible combos to see if it would show up. Only thing which does is the Ubisoft approved ones. Looks like Ubisoft got the video or channel taken down. For now I think we may be safe. But yes, I am fully expecting a new user to post something like that sooner or later (most likely sooner).

EmptyCrustacean
10-18-2015, 12:49 PM

or similar...

I think at this point if you want to go dark you need to just stick to the 'official going dark thread'. Me, I swore I would go dark but after some disappointing news coupled with the embargo I don't really care and I don't even know if I'm going to purchase the game at this point.

Locopells
10-18-2015, 01:19 PM

https://youtu.be/YBaZh9JcdSo