PDA

View Full Version : Jacob Frye Must Die

dread_stone
10-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Firstly: Yes, I know they're all already dead... You know what I mean!

The stark contrast between Jacob and Evie is already quite evident; Jacob is the brash, loud, overly confident, run-in-and-fight-everything-in-sight kind of guy—another Edward Kenway, if you will (though Edward was at least stealthy during some sequences of his mostly pirate-based life)—while Evie is the cool, calm, collected, calculated and cunning one of the duo—a true Assassin with respect for the Creed, rather than just a gangster in a hood; this has been established by Ubisoft themselves already. It's almost as if Ubisoft knows of the division amongst us AC fans—those who, for some ungodly reason, like playing as these open fighting, battlemongering terrorists in a series about assassins, and those who actually come to the Assassin's Creed series for an assassin/stealth experience—and based Jacob and Evie's characters off those two fan divisions, respectively.

Evie represents what the series was when it was fresh, inspired and knew what it wanted to be. Jacob represents what the series has become—a mere combat simulator, rather than a stealth-assassination game; Call of Duty without modern-day weaponry. On top of that, Jacob is the most cookie-cutter male we've had in the entirety of the series, while Evie is a refreshing, female co-protagonist who actually seems to be a traditional Assassin, rather than some bloodlusted ruffian only using the Assassins as a means to an end. In a nutshell, Jacob represents everything wrong with the series—everything that just needs to die off—and is essentially to Edward what Arno is to Ezio: a piss-shoddy-poor copy of the original. Evie represents change — something this series has been deprived of since ACII.

We already had a British criminal masquerading as an Assassin in ACIV. We really don't need another one in Syndicate. Here's to hoping that Jacob dies a poetic (and painful) death, taking with him all the facets of Assassin's Creed's decadence. Evie is already an infinitely better character than Jacob, just by virtue of being original, rather than a copy-paste of a previous character(s) ("(s)" since he looks like a younger, remastered Shay as well), with a few physical alterations.

Ezio did just fine after his siblings were killed. I'm sure Evie can do the same and lead on her own, without the walking representation of all that is bad about this series that is her brother tagging along. I feel she could easily lead the Rooks in La Volpe-esque fashion, should the need arise.

It should also be mentioned that Evie is the only one truly interested in the Pieces of Eden, which should arouse suspicion as well. Jacob is of no use to the big picture story; just another hoodlum calling himself an Assassin. Evie is the one whose memories are likely garnering Abstergo's/the Assassin's immediate interest. As of now, she's the only one with real plot relevance... (Enough beating around the bush.) What I'm saying is that Jacob has already been designed in a very expendable manner.

My disdain for this redundant and mundane character aside, he will sadly, more likely than not, live and be the spearhead of ACS's failure as an Assassin's Creed game (not including the critical reception it garners from sheeple).

terroAssassin
10-11-2015, 07:19 AM
Evie represents the true assassin while Jacob represents the sort of guy who is just using the order to make himself into something better.
If there is any justice you will spend more time playing as Evie instead of just getting into fights as Jacob.
I don't think Jacob will die for obvious reasons( THE GAME IS OVER THE COURSE OF 1 YEAR)
Its kinda sad we haven't had a true assassin like altair in the series for so long but Evie seems to be a return to form but has to be split with Jacob

VestigialLlama4
10-11-2015, 08:06 AM
The stark contrast between Jacob and Evie is already quite evident; Jacob is the brash, loud, overly confident, run-in-and-fight-everything-in-sight kind of guy—another Edward Kenway, if you will (though Edward was at least stealthy during some sequences of his mostly pirate-based life)—while Evie is the cool, calm, collected, calculated and cunning one of the duo—a true Assassin with respect for the Creed, rather than just a gangster in a hood; this has been established by Ubisoft themselves already. It's almost as if Ubisoft knows of the division amongst us AC fans—those who, for some ungodly reason, like playing as these open fighting, battlemongering terrorists in a series about assassins, and those who actually come to the Assassin's Creed series for an assassin/stealth experience—and based Jacob and Evie's characters off those two fan divisions, respectively.

Look I want Jacob's head on a pike as much as the next guy...but

The fact is right from AC1, assassins are "open fighting, battlemongering terrorists". Altair would kill soldiers who harrassed citizens in broad daylight too. the division between combat and stealth has been there since Day 1.

It should also be mentioned that Evie is the only one truly interested in the Pieces of Eden, which should arouse suspicion as well. Jacob is of no use to the big picture story; just another hoodlum calling himself an Assassin. Evie is the one whose memories are likely garnering Abstergo's/the Assassin's immediate interest. As of now, she's the only one with real plot relevance... (Enough beating around the bush.) What I'm saying is that Jacob has already been designed in a very expendable manner.

First of all, as far as "plot" goes in terms of "What McGuffin are we looking for", its not important. In AC3, the McGuffin was the Grand Temple Key but that was about 1% of the historical part. Most of the game was about the American Revolution and all that. The Assassins are interested in people and organizations and stuff.

AquilaTempestas
10-11-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm a sucker for tragic stories, and I totally believe Jacob Frye should die. It could be his big moment of salvation (I love stuff like that). Maybe he dies trying to save Evie's life or something, to repay her for saving his life so many times. If he does die, I hope he goes down fighting.

Hans684
10-11-2015, 09:24 AM
All men must die.

EmptyCrustacean
10-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Although you make a very good argument, OP, I voted 'no' for now because I think his story as potential. We'll see.

LoyalACFan
10-11-2015, 10:06 AM
How about we just wait it out and see? Every lead character they've introduced in the last three years has turned out to be wildly different than what was advertised pre-launch (whatever happened to stoic Connor, womanizing Edward, merciless Shay, and repentant Arno?) so I'm holding out a little bit of hope that Jacob is more than just a cookie-cutter snarky brawler type.

That said, killing him off would be bold, but considering how much they've talked up this game as being the "funniest one to date" and "a return to FUN! (cue sunshine and rainbows)" I really freaking doubt it's going to happen. If they kill Evie, though... Dear God, what little respect I have for Ubi's common sense will be out the window.

AquilaTempestas
10-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I think 'fun' generally refers to the style of gameplay and not the story itself. The story trailer itself seems a bit darkish.

I'm hoping either Jacob sacrifices his life to save Evie, or that the Rooks eventually turn on him and Jon Snow him.

RobertMcSassin
10-11-2015, 11:12 AM
I voted no, as Jacob represents my personal AC playstyle...The one I've had from the beginning...Y'know, since Altair first got his Counter iiiin...the pretty early stages of AC1, wasn't it?...Aaaand the one I then continued to use as Ezio had his ever increasingly fun (okay, perhaps a tad overpowered, but hey, that's why it's fun!) Counter...Then Connor - and Haytham - had that thing...What was it?...Oh yeah, a Counter...Then Edward got one of them shiny and re-buffed Counteroonies...

Then they took it away from Arno but that didn't stop me charging in and thwacking the enemy with much gusto...No...As Parry was there...Which was almost as much a counter as the Counter ever was...Perfect Parry much?...Oh-ho yes!...

Look, what I'm saying is that the ability to charge in and melee everything in sight has been there from the very start...Stealth was necessary for the missions - great and small - sure, and that's not changed throughout...But running around and smiting was, from the start, is now (I'm playing Rogue at the mo...Oh, yeah...Shay's got a...Wait for it...Counter!!!!...and it's the most fun I've had in an AC since AC3, personally speaking...) and likely always will be a fun and enjoyable part of Assassin's Creed...For some of us, at least... :D ...

The twins are a contrivance, one to try and please both sides of the "argument"...Well, several sides of different arguments if you count the sexism one too...If you really are desperate for ultimate stealth, then play as Evie...Otherwise, it's Jacob all the way for me...

Besides, he is supposed to be a - to whatever extent he can be at his age - trained Assassin...It won't be like he can't stealth, it's just he's more of a shoulder down brawler than his sis is...Just like she has melee skills, but not quite as solid...

I wasn't very *arnold about Syndicate - or Rogue - for ages, and because Reasons(tm) I decided to give Rogue a go...And the fact that it is easy and fun has got me so hyped for Syndicate - and the whole of the Assassin's Creed Universe in general again - that I'm so much looking forward to seeing how the two characters' styles work...

*Hull, I may even give Stealth(tm) a go for once... :D ...

SofaJockey
10-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Well this is a fun, the game's not out yet and we want to see off one of the protagonists.

Honestly, I hated having to deal with Adéwalé in Rogue.
And don't even get me started on the ending of Unity.

Killing characters off by some dumb reason to get a supposed emotional pay off is not my idea of a good time.

EmptyCrustacean
10-11-2015, 11:18 AM
I also think killing off Jacob would destroy Evie. She lost her father and never knew her mother. Jacob is the only family she has left. (please no spoilers if I'm wrong)

RobertMcSassin
10-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Well this is a fun, the game's not out yet and we want to see off one of the protagonists.

Honestly, I hated having to deal with Adéwalé in Rogue.
And don't even get me started on the ending of Unity.

Killing characters off by some dumb reason to get a supposed emotional pay off is not my idea of a good time.

Agreed...

Also...Spoilers sweetie!!... ;) ...I'm playiiiiiiing iiiiittt!!... ;) ...(Rogue btw...)...I jest, I knew that...Of course...

The end of Unity didn't bother me...Yeah, I know...Whatever... :D ...

I also agree with EmptyCrustacean...That would probably send her right off on a second Arno-type destructive bender probably...

Pandassin
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
I just want a happy ending where everyone lives.

Journey93
10-11-2015, 01:34 PM
I just want a happy ending where everyone lives.

Damm that would be lame

People should die, this is AC after all
I'm betting that one of the siblings dies or at least poor Henry

Black Flag is seen as a more lighthearted story too by many and it killed off almost its entire cast
I really hope Syndicate doesn't go Disney on us because people whined about Elise dying

ze_topazio
10-11-2015, 01:39 PM
Unnecessarily killing characters for emotional impact is way more cliche though.

Pandassin
10-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Damm that would be lame

People should die, this is AC after all
I'm betting that one of the siblings dies or at least poor Henry

Black Flag is seen as a more lighthearted story too by many and it killed off almost its entire cast
I really hope Syndicate doesn't go Disney on us because people whined about Elise dying

I agree there has to be some deaths to make it an AC game, but that doesn't mean Jacob or Evie have to die.

People 'whined' about Élise dying for a reason, her death was totally unnecessary, but I won't go into that.

VoXngola
10-11-2015, 01:48 PM
How about we just wait and see instead of proposing a main character's death.

legendvinu
10-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Yahh You are Correct VoXngola.Guys COOL down Why CANT we have a character with sense of Humor?? I keep LOVING while ALL HATERS keep HATING;)

HDinHB
10-11-2015, 06:22 PM
How about we just wait it out and see? Every lead character they've introduced in the last three years has turned out to be wildly different than what was advertised pre-launch (whatever happen/ed to stoic Connor, womanizing Edward, merciless Shay, and repentant Arno?) so I'm holding out a little bit of hope that Jacob is more than just a cookie-cutter snarky brawler type.

That said, killing him off would be bold, but considering how much they've talked up this game as being the "funniest one to date" and "a return to FUN! (cue sunshine and rainbows)" I really freaking doubt it's going to happen. If they kill Evie, though... Dear God, what little respect I have for Ubi's common sense will be out the window.

Killing off Jacob would be bold, but killing Evie would be nonsense? Some here might call that sexist.

Unnecessarily killing characters for emotional impact is way more cliche though.

Totally. Some game developers love to kill off main characters, maybe to prove they're not Hollywood movie makers or because they think it makes them artists. After the first time, the impact is less and less.

Yarp.

Besides,isn't Jacob (in) Jack the Ripper

Hans684
10-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Make him Jack The Ripper instead.

Jessigirl2013
10-11-2015, 07:13 PM
I'm expecting them to not get on particularly well...
I think it was the wording in one of the trailer... the story one perhaps..
And one of them said "when we've done this, we're finished".

I dunno it was just said in a way that made me think they were annoyed at each other.:rolleyes:

Anyone else get this idea?

HDinHB
10-11-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm expecting them to not get on particularly well...
I think it was the wording in one of the trailer... the story one perhaps..
And one of them said "when we've done this, we're finished".

I dunno it was just said in a way that made me think they were annoyed at each other.:rolleyes:

Anyone else get this idea?

They're brother and sister, so there should be lots of bickering and fighting, but if someone outside messes with one, they'll be dealing with both.

dread_stone
10-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Make him Jack The Ripper instead.
Now that... is an interesting idea.

IIRC, the DLC is said to include the twins, correct? (I didn't include this because I'm not sure.) If so, maybe Jacob's inclusion is through his Jack the Ripper persona, rather than the light-hearted, jolly one we've seen thus far.

What would have more of an impact? Presenting us with Jacob's transformation into this monster, or making this monster out to be some random face in history after we've lost/caught/killed him? The latter would be lame (which is why I have my suspicions about the DLC), but the former could very well act as Jacob's metaphorical death. It'd be refreshing to see a jolly, banter throwing, optimistic lad turned into a monster.