PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane rpm bug? Need infos...

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 04:40 PM
I can't find other threads in the search panel though I'm pretty sure somebody else saw it... I was offline flying the Hurricane IIc chasing a 109... I fired at it from a fairly close range. A few hits and the plane exploded in front of me... I assume I got hit from pieces because immediately my rpm which was at maximum throttle 3000rpm, went to 4200 rpm with the appropriately super accelerated sound of the engine at that speed...

Thing is, not only I did not get a high speed due to the fast rpm (seems like the game still though I was at 3000rpm), but overheating too a lot of time to kick in, also somewhat proving that the game still thought I was at 3000rpm...

Is it possible that I did hit some pieces of the 109 and my throttle controls were damaged in some way? That still does not explain why I could still fly for 10 minutes at 4200rpm with no engine damage....

Maybe because it's a British engine? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stephen

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 04:40 PM
I can't find other threads in the search panel though I'm pretty sure somebody else saw it... I was offline flying the Hurricane IIc chasing a 109... I fired at it from a fairly close range. A few hits and the plane exploded in front of me... I assume I got hit from pieces because immediately my rpm which was at maximum throttle 3000rpm, went to 4200 rpm with the appropriately super accelerated sound of the engine at that speed...

Thing is, not only I did not get a high speed due to the fast rpm (seems like the game still though I was at 3000rpm), but overheating too a lot of time to kick in, also somewhat proving that the game still thought I was at 3000rpm...

Is it possible that I did hit some pieces of the 109 and my throttle controls were damaged in some way? That still does not explain why I could still fly for 10 minutes at 4200rpm with no engine damage....

Maybe because it's a British engine? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stephen

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Well, my best guess,

The Hurricane's prop pitch governer (I guess?) is incredibly fragile, or so it seems, what you've described is almost always the damage that puts me out of a battle in a Hurri.

Normally you should notice a pretty rapid drop in speed after this happens, the prop is useless from then on in (although have a play with turning the engine off and on midflight). I guess it's being knocked past full fine?

This doesn't appear to affect other aircraft.

SSS

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info, make sense.../i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Just the problem of flying for 10 minutes at 4200 with no overheating.... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Stephen

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:07 PM
ive hit 5000rpm+ with that damage /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
its rather strange damage, but i dunno about hurricane
thought engine was rev limited, and u lost rev limit
be like peter geffin at monza (think it was him)
like 5ppl going for line, slipstreaming etc, so he hung onto 4th gear past the rev limit /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
he won /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
ps this was before monza was given chicanes /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif
now they wanna take down the banking too /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:28 PM
It happens to other planes as well but, it happens the most to Hurri's I think

I once had it on the P-40 and the Il-2 (i think)

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:53 AM
theres no rev limiter on a hurri engine.

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 01:28 PM
There is no overspeed governor per se, to the best of my knowledge. There is however a constant speed governor, doing the same thing. An OSG would only add an extra layer of protection.

If there is no prop efficiency past that point, isn't it just possible that what is simulated to happen is a broken prop? That would cause an overrev situation the governor could do nothing about. You'd have to reduce throttle to keep the RPM down. And naturally, there'd be no thrust generated. Rhymes well with it happening after flying through debris too.

Cheers,
Fred

Message Edited on 10/08/0312:35PM by effte

XyZspineZyX
10-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the infos guys!!!!

Stephen