PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of Homm7

shop4A37CF9C0
10-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Others have said some of these things, so forgive repeating them. It's a good thing, actually, if the devs see more than one person mention something.

1. Performance
Not good. I have to put detail levels pretty low to get decent fps, and I really shouldn't with a game of this type. Performance is MUCH worse if I run it in "windowed" mode. And if I play in Full Screen and Alt-Tab a few times, things slow down generally on my PC and I eventually have to reboot.

2. Graphics, Animation, Sound
. Overland graphics are fine, about what I expected. It does seem somewhat grainy but that's likely because I'm running most detail setting on Low.
. Unit animations in combat are (sorry) terrible. Often there's no attack animation at all; the unit moves adjacent to the target, damage is then applied but the attacking unit has not performed any animation at all.
. Sounds during combat are very minimal and not remotely immersive. There are times when I hear music but nothing else for a few seconds.

3. AI
. Among the worst I've ever seen. During combat, quite often the AI will have its units target a far weaker unit and ignore far more threatening ones. For example, if I'm playing Necro, and I have a single weak skeleton unit (from a "raising") hunkered in the back. Enemy units will walk right past my stronger stacks and attack that poor solitary skeleton. Which brings up another point - I guess this has never been in any HoMM game, but a unit should not be able to stroll past units (which haven't acted yet that turn). So defending ranged units in the back becomes nearly impossible. It makes the combat feel "cheap".

All that, to me, are not major issues, other than maybe the weird combat AI.

The worse thing for me is how long the computer AI takes during it's turn. It can take up to a minute, sometimes longer, and this is even very early in the game when there's very little to do. I recall one of the prior versions had a REAL slow AI (I think it was 5) but I can't recall.

So at this point, I give it a 5 out of 10. Speeding up the AI to acceptable levels (at least half the current time) would push it up to a 7. Fixing the computer combat AI would add another point.

Tao-Linn
10-05-2015, 11:54 PM
I do have to note, that on my computer since I can run everything on high with no issues, that at this point combat actually has attack animations. The sounds are decently immersive, and music is pretty constant. Whatever the cause is for your FPS issue, is probably the same bug causing these other things I mentioned.

shop4A37CF9C0
10-06-2015, 12:02 AM
I do have to note, that on my computer since I can run everything on high with no issues, that at this point combat actually has attack animations. The sounds are decently immersive, and music is pretty constant. Whatever the cause is for your FPS issue, is probably the same bug causing these other things I mentioned.

Well, to clarify, I get the attack animations most of the time. It's usually melee units that sometimes have none when they attack. Ranged units (to my recollection) always animate.

But I also see other things, like when a melee unit is moving to attack, it looks like it's simply skating across the ground rather than running.

And yes, I forgot to mention that I do like the music, even though it gets repeatitive after a little while.

PewSquare
10-06-2015, 08:35 AM
The animation thing definetly sounds like a bug with the settings, especially if you set it on low. Probably the majority of the inhouse testing was done on all max settings, i have everything maxed as well, and never had the issue with animations, i know what you mean tough. Only ingame graphical bugs i did have, is the grid dissapearing.