PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't it be "Assassins' Creed" not "Assassin's Creed"?

SofaJockey
10-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Shouldn't it be "Assassins' Creed" not "Assassin's Creed", particularly for Syndicate as there are in fact two assassin's?
Frankly in every other game I can think of there wasn't just one assassin.

Probably been asked before but occurred to me today.

:cool:

ze_topazio
10-05-2015, 02:24 PM
The title refers to the "Assassin Brotherhood" and the creed of that organization, not the protagonists of each story.

SofaJockey
10-05-2015, 02:34 PM
The title refers to the "Assassin Brotherhood" and the creed of that organization, not the protagonists of each story.

Hmmm, if you abbreviate 'Assassin Brotherhood' would you not be more likely to abbreviate that to 'Brotherhood'
rather than 'Assassin' which could be confused with, well, one assassin...

So: 'Brotherhood's Creed' would be more fitting?

cawatrooper9
10-05-2015, 02:35 PM
If it refers to the creed of a group of Assassins, it would indeed be Assassins'. However, since many of the games (the original included) have focused on the protagonist learning where they specifically fit in (or out) of the creed, perhaps the emphasis on a singular possessive noun was intentional... or maybe they just messed up.

D.I.D.
10-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Probably, but it would make a bad logo on the box with a trailing apostrophe!

VestigialLlama4
10-05-2015, 04:56 PM
"Assassin's Creed" makes much more sense because the games aren't just about Assassinating and Killing. It's about the Creed, it's about a bunch of things. So the emphasis isn't on the Assassin but on the Assassin's Creed, what it means to be an Assassin, what they believe and why they do what they do. It defines the overall series and aesthetic much better.

"Assassins' Creed" is different. The Emphasis is more on the organization of the Assassin cult itself. It's being pedantic at this point but generally the first title makes it about the Six Letter Creed, while the second ties it more to a specific organization.

bitebug2003
10-05-2015, 05:03 PM
The Assassin's Creed makes more sense then?

The Assassin Creed works too

The Creed of the Assassin Brotherhood - is too long

The Assassin Brotherhood works

The Assassin's Brotherhood doesn't quite sound right.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/indiff_zps7549f5a4.gif

DanPenfold2013
10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
It does seem fine as it is to be honest :P

Jessigirl2013
10-05-2015, 05:42 PM

I agree.
:rolleyes:

BananaBlighter
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Probably, but it would make a bad logo on the box with a trailing apostrophe!

Yeah I think it's just coz it looks worse.