PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on Connor?

Journey93
10-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I remember when AC3 was released a lot of people hated him and there was a huge backlash.

After some time time though, more and more started to like him and suddenly he seems to be a fan favourite.

I don't hate him but he is definitely one of my least favourite protagonists (his father and grandfather are much better). Yeah he is more "unique" than Ezio and Edward but why does that automatically mean that he is a good character?

Connor was kind of erratic and angsty if you ask me. The voice acting didn't help either. He was a Forest Gump the whole game, going from event to event in the American Revolution. He never really developed and we probably will never see a more mature and experienced Connor since Ubisoft decided to dump him.

He can be summed up with this video perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFlq2SerGQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFlq2SerGQ)

What are your thoughts on this polarizing character?

Shahkulu101
10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
*Does best Shaun impression*

What a refreshing - what a refreshing topic to discuss...

dread_stone
10-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Worst protagonist in the series to date.

Namikaze_17
10-04-2015, 08:33 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/06e76b4e2d175825755b511bd6759306/tumblr_n7fys7T3eC1qbq5g5o2_500.gif

dread_stone
10-04-2015, 08:37 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/06e76b4e2d175825755b511bd6759306/tumblr_n7fys7T3eC1qbq5g5o2_500.gif
Hashirama's reaction is perfect.

GunnerGalactico
10-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, I like Connor and I think he is a good character. He is my second favourite Assassin after Altair and I could care less what everybody else thinks of him. :rolleyes:

Hans684
10-04-2015, 08:44 PM
I don't want to start a flame war, so I'd rather not say. But I don't hate him, just a heavy critic.

ze_topazio
10-04-2015, 08:46 PM
I think AC3 is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills tempalrs and doesnt afraid of anything.

Journey93
10-04-2015, 09:03 PM
*Does best Shaun impression*

What a refreshing - what a refreshing topic to discuss...

Haven't been on these forums lately, didn'T know it was still a hot topic

GunnerGalactico
10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
I think AC3 is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills tempalrs and doesnt afraid of anything.

That's what I think of all of AC games. ;)

Haven't been on these forums lately, didn'T know it was still a hot topic

Might probably still be a hot topic till the next century :p

Journey93
10-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't want to start a flame war, so I'd rather not say. But I don't hate him, just a heavy critic.

I'm interested to hear your opinion on Connor. I don't hate him either btw.
Its just opinions, no need for flame wars here

Namikaze_17
10-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Screw his character, but is that hair on point or is it on point? :rolleyes:

Aphex_Tim
10-04-2015, 09:09 PM

/thread

Seriously though, Connor is my favorite out of all the main characters, probably because personally, out of all the main Assassins, I can relate to him the most. His naivety, his view on life and the world and the way he deals with stuff really aren't all that different from how I feel I would be if I was a kickass Assassin with inhuman strength instead of a lazy couch-potato with a beer gut...

GunnerGalactico
10-04-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm interested to hear your opinion on Connor. I don't hate him either btw.
Its just opinions, no need for flame wars here

Everybody have already given their reasons on other threads. Past experiences have proved that threads like this always have the tendency to get out of hand. We just had one similar this last month, btw. :rolleyes:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1256436-Why-do-people-hate-Connor-so-much

saw2097
10-04-2015, 09:23 PM
I thought he was a good character, I liked his selfless nature and that he is convicted to his beliefs.

I respect people who refuse to give up even when everyone else is against them, Connor refused to give up on fighting for freedom even as he saw how flawed humans are.

EmptyCrustacean
10-04-2015, 09:24 PM
I'll make the popcorn...

Journey93
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Everybody have already given their reasons on other threads. Past experiences have proved that threads like this always have the tendency to get out of hand. We just had one similar this last month, btw. :rolleyes:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1256436-Why-do-people-hate-Connor-so-much

I see, should have used the search function I guess.
And damm these discussions really heat up

Mr.Black24
10-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I see, should have used the search function I guess.
And damm these discussions really heat up
They do. I actually tire of them, coming from a huge Connor fan too. If anything, I just want a sequel to expand on his story, his character, and an actual closure on the guy.

If anything, to correct your idea of how you think Connor is however, this is the true sum of his character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU&list=FLvWYqzylUh6ZHFODhFcKchw& index=19

I really don't want to argue on why or why not anymore. I think I'm reply very little after this, especially with Syndicate coming up, I'm going dark soon.

LieutenantRex
10-04-2015, 11:21 PM
I believe that the cause for Connor's unpopularity was both confirmation bias and NWP syndrome, NWP, of course, being non-white protagonist. The white male gaming audience could not stand to witness a character in such a prominent position in a big-name title game that did not represent them, despite characters of the latter sort being present in over 90% of video games. Such a character is even in AC3! You're forced to play as a white male for a significant portion of the game, and incidentally, that character's personality is that of a debonair, which the majority virgin and awkward white male audience wishes to absorb, or at least experience a form of transference with, thus dooming the awkward and stoic Connor to an aftermath of bias from the audience cemented in subconscious racism and *****-envy.

Confirmation bias follows naturally, as the white male audience, while being roughly half of the entire video game populace, has the privilege of possessing enough medium to inveigh against Connor, who has started out, almost irrevocably, in an uphill battle. Others who are not a part of that white male audience see and accept the criticisms without much challenge for fear of being outliers in a group that seems entirely made up of the majority. Connor's temerity is lambasted as naiveté and rude crassness (terms many of the paternal white male characters in the game assign to Connor); his monotone and lack of overt emotion dismissed as signs of a boring and one-dimensional character instead of proper cultural norms; his impurity (he is only half-white) an object used to further propel him into isolation amongst the perceived majority white male audience, etc.

Connor was the victim of too cautious marketing on his actual character: he supports colonists, who have historically aligned against his people; the plight of his own tribe are cast into the backdrop, perhaps nearly forgotten by even Connor himself; he is a patricide, a savage fighter, intimidating to the white male audience who prefer the finesse of a white male like themselves, or Ezio, and yet he is awkward and soft-spoken in situations where such reactions would not be shocking.

I would love a game where an NWP could possibly be given a fair chance in the sphere of video game culture; where he/she wasn't limited to mere stereotypical roles that the white male audience would prefer to view them in (no one would have purchased Freedom Cry had Adewale been fighting against Templars purely for the sake of being Templars), or have his/hers minority cultural background mitigated by being half-white, but that will not happen anytime soon, and thus my thoughts on Connor can never truly be expressed.

HDinHB
10-04-2015, 11:23 PM
I like Connor. Threads about Connor, not so much.

Screw his character, but is that hair on point or is it on point? :rolleyes:

Which hair? Maybe I'll start a thread on which of Connor's hairs is best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFm4CVEdBo&feature=youtu.be

LieutenantRex
10-04-2015, 11:29 PM

Note the backlash that the white male audience evoked in reaction to Connor's tribal haircut? So virulent was the outrage that Ubisoft's last testicle retreated up into the stomach of the bloated body and a patch was released to appease the offended.

TO_M
10-04-2015, 11:34 PM
@ Rex

Altair is a non-white protagonist so how come he is quite popular among the "white male gaming audience"?

Plus, for me personally, Black Flag would have been a thousand times more interesting if the game revolved around actual templars and ot generic slavedrivers.

LieutenantRex
10-04-2015, 11:39 PM
@ Rex

Altair is a non-white protagonist so how come he is quite popular among the "white male gaming audience"?

Plus, for me personally, Black Flag would have been a thousand times more interesting if the game revolved around actual templars and ot generic slavedrivers.

He isn't as popular as Ezio, and he's implied half white.

TO_M
10-04-2015, 11:43 PM
He isn't as popular as Ezio, and he's half white.

Neither are Edward and Arno and they're both white, what's your point?

And actually, Altair is fully Syrian, he had a Christian mother and Muslim father. Christian does not instantly equal white.

LieutenantRex
10-04-2015, 11:51 PM

And actually, Altair is fully Syrian, he had a Christian mother and Muslim father. Christian does not instantly equal white.

The implications are all there. Syrians are Caucasians. That's white enough for the white male audience. And to your point about Edward and Arno: neither may be more popular than Ezio, true, but one was far better received than Connor and the other was a pure carbon-copy of Ezio in an attempt to recover any fans who were put off enough by NWP Connor to pledge the series off altogether.

Shahkulu101
10-05-2015, 12:07 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFm4CVEdBo&feature=youtu.be

You are a top bloke.

Journey93
10-05-2015, 12:11 AM
I believe that the cause for Connor's unpopularity was both confirmation bias and NWP syndrome, NWP, of course, being non-white protagonist. The white male gaming audience could not stand to witness a character in such a prominent position in a big-name title game that did not represent them, despite characters of the latter sort being present in over 90% of video games. Such a character is even in AC3! You're forced to play as a white male for a significant portion of the game, and incidentally, that character's personality is that of a debonair, which the majority virgin and awkward white male audience wishes to absorb, or at least experience a form of transference with, thus dooming the awkward and stoic Connor to an aftermath of bias from the audience cemented in subconscious racism and *****-envy.

Confirmation bias follows naturally, as the white male audience, while being roughly half of the entire video game populace, has the privilege of possessing enough medium to inveigh against Connor, who has started out, almost irrevocably, in an uphill battle. Others who are not a part of that white male audience see and accept the criticisms without much challenge for fear of being outliers in a group that seems entirely made up of the majority. Connor's temerity is lambasted as naiveté and rude crassness (terms many of the paternal white male characters in the game assign to Connor); his monotone and lack of overt emotion dismissed as signs of a boring and one-dimensional character instead of proper cultural norms; his impurity (he is only half-white) an object used to further propel him into isolation amongst the perceived majority white male audience, etc.

Connor was the victim of too cautious marketing on his actual character: he supports colonists, who have historically aligned against his people; the plight of his own tribe are cast into the backdrop, perhaps nearly forgotten by even Connor himself; he is a patricide, a savage fighter, intimidating to the white male audience who prefer the finesse of a white male like themselves, or Ezio, and yet he is awkward and soft-spoken in situations where such reactions would not be shocking.

I would love a game where an NWP could possibly be given a fair chance in the sphere of video game culture; where he/she wasn't limited to mere stereotypical roles that the white male audience would prefer to view them in (no one would have purchased Freedom Cry had Adewale been fighting against Templars purely for the sake of being Templars), or have his/hers minority cultural background mitigated by being half-white, but that will not happen anytime soon, and thus my thoughts on Connor can never truly be expressed.

I think you are entirely off point with this. I'm not against Non white protagonists at all and I'm sure most who weren't a fan of Connor's, also weren't racists.

I was actually very excited for AC3 before the release, the game and Connor as a character just disappointed me (still enjoyable at times and not as bad as Unity)
And Haytham has more to offer than you are giving him credit for. Read his book Forsaken, in my opinion he is a great character (much better than Connor imho)

Edit: Wait, aren't you the same guy who just said AC4 is one of the worst games he has ever played and that its "disgusting"
Sry but I can't take you seriously anymore

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 12:34 AM
Compare a guy with three games to two with only one, well done.

Firstly, Syrians are Caucasians. Not everyone in the middle east is brown, you racist jerk. Altair is fully white. Secondly, his mother isn't Syrian, her name is Maud.

My thoughts on Connor? **** Connor and every thread about him. Loved the guy, favorite protagonist in the series. But seriously, stop making threads about him.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 12:37 AM

Firstly, Syrians are Caucasians. Not everyone in the middle east is brown, you racist jerk. Altair is fully white. Secondly, his mother isn't Syrian, her name is Maud.

My thoughts on Connor? **** Connor and every thread about him. Loved the guy, favorite protagonist in the series. But seriously, stop making threads about him.

that is only an invitation to madness

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 12:38 AM
that is only an invitation to madness
Not when I say it. When I say it, it's a higher command. It'll be obeyed.

Pr0metheus 1962
10-05-2015, 12:39 AM
I've never liked him. He's too much of a downer for my tastes. I prefer assassins with a sense of humor.

HDinHB
10-05-2015, 12:45 AM
I think you are entirely off point with this.

His point is to be off point

Edit: Wait, aren't you the same guy who just said AC4 is one of the worst games he has ever played and that its "disgusting"

That is wise.

You are a top bloke.

Uhm, that's a good thing, right?

LieutenantRex
10-05-2015, 12:46 AM
I've never liked him. He's too much of a downer for my tastes. I prefer assassins with a sense of humor.

"Instead you want me to what? Shell New York?"
"No, of course not."
"Oh. Whew."
"Only part of it."

I see what you mean, however. That part was funny to me though.

EmptyCrustacean
10-05-2015, 12:47 AM

You're so right it hurts - but then the truth always hurts.

LieutenantRex
10-05-2015, 12:53 AM
I think you are entirely off point with this. I'm not against Non white protagonists at all and I'm sure most who weren't a fan of Connor's, also weren't racists.

I was actually very excited for AC3 before the release, the game and Connor as a character just disappointed me (still enjoyable at times and not as bad as Unity)
And Haytham has more to offer than you are giving him credit for. Read his book Forsaken, in my opinion he is a great character (much better than Connor imho)

The reason for my excessive vitriol towards ACIV is because I loathed playing it in a recent playthrough and regarded it as a waste of money from a younger version of myself, disillusioned by promotion. If others like that game, fine, but I cannot and will not suppress my hate for it.

And I believe I already covered why Haytham would be received better than Connor, who didn't even get a full game to himself. This has never happened to the extent that it did to Connor in ANY main title AC game.

TO_M
10-05-2015, 01:14 AM

What's your point? I wasn't denying that Ezio was more popular than Arno and Edward. Rex was claiming that Connor isn't as popular as Ezio because Connor is non-white. I referenced Arno and Edward to show that being white doesn't somehow make you more popular.

And the AC encyclopedia says that Altair is Syrian born, if his mother wasn't Syrian wouldn't it have mentioned the mixed heritage?

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 02:01 AM
I referenced Arno and Edward to show that being white doesn't somehow make you more popular.
And I explained that comparing a guy who got three games to two guys who got one is nonsensical.

And the AC encyclopedia says that Altair is Syrian born, if his mother wasn't Syrian wouldn't it have mentioned the mixed heritage?
Maud is not a Syrian name. Syrian born probably as in born in Syria. Altair is Syrian, but his mom is most definitely not Syrian.

HDinHB
10-05-2015, 02:07 AM
Maud is not a Syrian name. Syrian born probably as in born in Syria. Altair is Syrian, but his mom is most definitely not Syrian.

It doesn't matter, and we'll probably never know, but I suppose Maud could have one Syrian and one non-Syrian parent, or she could be named after a grandmother or great-grandmother.

TO_M
10-05-2015, 02:10 AM
And I explained that comparing a guy who got three games to two guys who got one is nonsensical.

Ok, so why tell (only) me? He's the one who started comparing Ezio to Connor, who also has only one game (well two if you count his appearance in Liberations

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 02:11 AM
It doesn't matter, and we'll probably never know, but I suppose Maud could have one Syrian and one non-Syrian parent, or she could be named after a grandmother or great-grandmother.
It's more likely that she wasn't Syrian. No reason to over complicate it. That said, though, Syrians are still Caucasians.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 02:13 AM
thats not what movies and fox news tells me

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 02:14 AM
Ok, so why tell (only) me? He's the one who started comparing Ezio to Connor, who also has only one game (well two if you count his appearance in Liberations
Because he's saying that Connor was unpopular because he was half white. Then you go on and bring up that other white protagonists are not as popular as Ezio. I point out that this comparison is moot because Edward and Arno got one game. I don't agree with either of you, but I disagree with you more. While I do think that there was a BIT of racism involved in the reception of Connor (I'v seen it first hand), I don't think you're racist if you disliked him.

Namikaze_17
10-05-2015, 02:16 AM

Um, the hair on his... scalp?

Notice I didn't say 'head' for any dirty minds out there. :rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 02:18 AM
Um, the hair on his... scalp?

Notice I didn't say 'head' for any dirty minds out there. :rolleyes:

i have my eye on you

Mr.Black24
10-05-2015, 06:22 AM

True, however she is a Christian woman. While a Christian person doesn't have to be white (Hispanics,Arabics) she was perhaps blessed with a Christian name. I mean you said it yourself, Maud is not a Syrian name, but a Syrian with a Christian name? It is possible, as there are folks over there with Christian names who aren't white. Plus Ubisoft always referenced Altair as a Syrian man, unless explained otherwise.

Uuuughhhh, a two story game isn't bad really, it doesn't have to be three to explain their later life.

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 06:39 AM
True, however she is a Christian woman. While a Christian person doesn't have to be white (Hispanics,Arabics) she was perhaps blessed with a Christian name. I mean you said it yourself, Maud is not a Syrian name, but a Syrian with a Christian name? It is possible, as there are folks over there with Christian names who aren't white. Plus Ubisoft always referenced Altair as a Syrian man, unless explained otherwise.

Uuuughhhh, a two story game isn't bad really, it doesn't have to be three to explain their later life.
What I'm saying is that Maud is not an Arab name. And well, Connor was always referred to as a Native. Yeah, he's half English but his identity is native, it might as well be his full descent. I guess Altair's other half simply wasnt important for the context of the story. He was born in Syria, had a Syrian dad, so he's Syrian. Arno's Austrian heritage was also never brought up in game and rarely by Ubisoft.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 08:00 AM
you are all wrong

Altaik Iban Al La Carte Jihad was actually Chinese the whole time

source: Derby on Twitter

Shahkulu101
10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
His point is to be off point

That is wise.

Uhm, that's a good thing, right?

Yes, of course. :p

Journey93
10-05-2015, 03:35 PM
The reason for my excessive vitriol towards ACIV is because I loathed playing it in a recent playthrough and regarded it as a waste of money from a younger version of myself, disillusioned by promotion. If others like that game, fine, but I cannot and will not suppress my hate for it.

And I believe I already covered why Haytham would be received better than Connor, who didn't even get a full game to himself. This has never happened to the extent that it did to Connor in ANY main title AC game.

Yeah but you haven't given any good reasons for that
Its basically the exact opposite of AC3 but many (including me) see that as a good thing

LieutenantRex
10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah but you haven't given any good reasons for that
Its basically the exact opposite of AC3 but many (including me) see that as a good thing

I've already told you why: I thought it was a waste of my money. I've already made a whole thread about the deficiencies of that game. I'm tired of discussing it.