PDA

View Full Version : What other series should I start playing?

king-hailz
10-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Well I've decided that I'm leaving AC, but instead of being all mopy about it I'm gonna see it as a good thing. Could you guys recommend any other game series (old or new) that I would like? I'm asking you guys because you are most likely to have the same taste as me.

I'm playing old Price of Persian games right now, I'm starting Metal Gear Solid but what else do you recommend. I play on PS3/PS4 BTW.

Shahkulu101
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Ride to Hell: Retribution

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5

Rugby 15

Rambo: The Video Game

Sushiglutton
10-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Do you like Metroidvanias, because I do :D? Lots of really great ones last couple of years like Guacamelee, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Strider, Axiom Verge and so on. Mark of the Ninja was a fantsastic stealth game. For AAA anything Naughty Dog ofc and most of R*. Alan Wake, Tomb Raider are also sweet. The Metro games are super atmospheric, story driven FPS games that I really liked.

Any of those sound appealing (have you played them all perhaps?).

Namikaze_17
10-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Kingdom Hearts - another series whose lore is as convoluted and interconnected as this one.

dimbismp
10-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Well I've decided that I'm leaving AC, but instead of being all mopy about it I'm gonna see it as a good thing. Could you guys recommend any other game series (old or new) that I would like? I'm asking you guys because you are most likely to have the same taste as me.

I'm playing old Price of Persian games right now, I'm starting Metal Gear Solid but what else do you recommend. I play on PS3/PS4 BTW.

If you are truly disappointed with the franchise,i would recommend to at least give ACS a chance.Anyway,as for other gaming franchises,i would recommend 2 obvious choices:

Batman Arkham:These games actually made me a big Batman fan.They are great.

Witcher:I know that you said that you want PS3/PS4 games,but hear me out.Witcher 1 is vastly underrated.Yes,the combat is crap,however it is one of the most atmospheric games i have ever played.The music,the dirty streets...They are perfect.Meanwhile,i enjoyed TW2 less,however it is still a very good game,featuring one of the most complex politics story in gaming.You can play these games,even if you have a crappy PC.I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz and a mediocre graphics card,and i managed pretty well(everything low though).And ofc,there is TW3,which will be the game that all games will be compared to for years to come.

Aphex_Tim
10-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Witcher 3 is available on PS4 and you're not really required to have played the previous games (you might feel a bit lost with certain characters and talk of previous events at first but there's a huge database to cover it all up. If you like hugely atmospheric RPGs based on monster hunting and all kinds of European mythology, you should definitely give the Witcher a shot!

TO_M
10-04-2015, 11:26 PM
If you are truly disappointed with the franchise,i would recommend to at least give ACS a chance.Anyway,as for other gaming franchises,i would recommend 2 obvious choices:

This is terrible advice imo. If he's dissapointed with the direction Ubi has taken Assassin's Creed over the past few years then buying a game that seems to take the exact same (terrible) direction is exactly what he should not do.

At the end of the day Ubi only cares about money/sales so the only way for him, and others, to actively show dissaproval at the direction Ubi has taken AC would be to not purchase ACS. It's why I won't be getting it.
And sure you could say that a few people not buying the new AC might not have any effect on the sales and thus Ubi will not change, but at least then I can complain about yearly releases/game quality without being a sort of hypocrite :p

rileypoole1234
10-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Uncharted series if you haven't already.

I personally LOVE Jak and Daxter so I recommend the HD collection on PS3.

Red Dead Redemption and the GTA series as well as LA Noire I quite enjoyed.

The Witcher 3 is fantastic in my opinion.

Last of Us

The Batman: Arkham series are also some of my favorites

HDinHB
10-05-2015, 12:02 AM
I sympathize. 2015 was a tough year to get through for me too.

You will be a good experiment to see if it is the games or overexposure to the games that is the problem (it could be both). It could also be hanging out on this forum too much. :nonchalance:
Be sure to come back and let us know how you feel later.

MGS4 is one game I just couldn't finish, and I collected all the crap in Unity. I just couldn't get through all the cut scenes.

Witcher3 has been all the rage. If you haven't played Uncharted (but of course you have) all 3 last gen games are coming out for PS4 this week. The PS store has a free demo--looks pretty, brings back memories. Last of Us. Far Cry 2-4 (2 mostly so you can see how they improved with 3). The new Tomb Raider is coming to PS4 next year, so if you haven't played the latest one yet. Same with Mass Effect.

And there's always advice in http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/771736-3rd-Party-Gaming-Discussion-News/page585

Journey93
10-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Ride to Hell: Retribution

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5

Rugby 15

Rambo: The Video Game

lol

Anyway OP I would recommend The Witcher 3 too. One of the best games in recent years, great story + characters, awesome open world with meaningful side quests (mostly none of the collectibles overdose of AC games) etc.

Pr0metheus 1962
10-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Not a series, but I'm having a lot of fun with Until Dawn right now.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 12:45 AM
i hear people like mgsv but i think you should know that you aren't really playing the real snake in that game

SixKeys
10-05-2015, 02:17 AM
Depends on what you like about AC. There's no other series quite like it, and people are into different games for different reasons.

I, for example, am into some strategy games like Civilization 5 and XCom: Enemy Unknown/Within. I appreciate the tactical elements in AC. Will you like strategy games just because you like AC? Hard to say.

Lots of people have already named the same action games (RDR, TLoU etc.). I would suggest looking outside the action genre too. You might find some real gems. I like The Banner Saga, Journey, Okami, The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead, for example.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 02:24 AM
journey isn't a game, it's just an l-stick pushing simulator

D.I.D.
10-05-2015, 03:16 AM
Why do you particularly want a series? Everything is disappointing in the end, either because it ends sooner than you hoped, or the quality drops. You'll just find yourself back with AC in the end, for the reliable release schedule if nothing else.

If you never played Dishonored, do it and make sure you play the story DLC as well. Best played for stealth/ghost style, but it's decent for fox-in-a-henhouse mayhem too if you want it. It'll get you ready for Dishonored 2, but you'll be waiting years between releases for it as a series.

If I were you, I'd just spend some time catching up on any fun games you might have missed which are now dirt cheap. If you never played MGR: Revengeance, do it. It's ridiculous in a good way. Get Rocket League. Play Rayman Legends. Sleeping Dogs. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The last thing you need is a new super-serious series with a massive money/time investment.

VoXngola
10-05-2015, 03:17 AM
Lots of great recommendations here for you OP. I recommend trying out Dishonored, really great game.

Aphex_Tim
10-05-2015, 06:04 AM
(mostly none of the collectibles overdose of AC games)

I did however suffer from the hoard-everything-I-can-find-because-I-just-might-need-it-later syndrome that I have with most RPGs.
And given that pretty much everything in the game is lootable, that was a right pain in the arse... :rolleyes:

RVSage
10-05-2015, 07:14 AM
For PS4/PS3. I have heard great things about uncharted series. Recently the remastered versions of the PS3 games were released. Many people say the lore is fantastic.

Moultonborough
10-05-2015, 07:47 AM
i hear people like mgsv but i think you should know that you aren't really playing the real snake in that game

Thanks for that. Haven't finished it yet.

Consus_E
10-05-2015, 07:48 AM
The Souls series has great deal of depth and a single playthrough (especially the first) can take you a VERY long time. You've probably heard that Dark Souls has a reputation for being difficult, and this is without a doubt true, however I is also brilliant in how fair it is. Yes you die a lot, but you always understand exactly why you did and are given infinite opportunities to learn from your mistakes. In the end it becomes incredibly satisfying to overcome a challenge. Not only that but Dark Souls has beautiful environments, deep lore that is delivered without too much unnecessary exposition, and great varied combat.

If you don't mind old school I would also recomend the first two Fallout games. They have fantastic writing, and are great RPGs

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks for that. Haven't finished it yet.

well it was advertised from the beginning that you were playing as venom snake, who is not solid snake aka the real snake and he also doesn't have the real snakes voice actor so i don't know why you're acting so surprised when this is common knowledge :confused: :confused: :confused:

Moultonborough
10-05-2015, 08:07 AM
well it was advertised from the beginning that you were playing as venom snake, who is not solid snake aka the real snake and he also doesn't have the real snakes voice actor so i don't know why you're acting so surprised when this is common knowledge :confused: :confused: :confused:

I know you play as venom snake. Figured just another codename like Naked Snake. I didn't really keep up with all the news before hand been busy with other stuff in my life. But out of curiosity how does not having the usual VA mean it's not Snake. I get it sucks for a lot of people and it was a major loss for the series but how does that automatically mean it's not Snake?

Zafar1981
10-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Hi friends, I am also skipping ACS probably will come back in future if found it of my taste.

I-Like-Pie45
10-05-2015, 08:16 AM
I know you play as venom snake. Figured just another codename like Naked Snake. I didn't really keep up with all the news before hand been busy with other stuff in my life. But out of curiosity how does not having the usual VA mean it's not Snake. I get it sucks for a lot of people and it was a major loss for the series but how does that automatically mean it's not Snake?
because change is stupid everything should stay the same

if ac had learned this lesson and continued to remake ac2 over and over again after acr it would still be popular ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

compukn1ght
10-05-2015, 09:42 AM
All great suggestions but personally I would recommend...

Mass Effect saga
Dragon Age saga,
The Saints Row series,
And finally I would REALLY recommend the Borderlands Trilogy.

Just my opinion but these are the greatest games out there, and I believe they are on PS.

ze_topazio
10-05-2015, 11:44 AM

I haven't played MGSV yet but since I have already been spoiled.

Venom is

a double, a medic from the old MSF who got plastic surgery to look like Big Boss(Naked Snake), and got an implant of Big Boss's memories, this allowed the real Big Boss to, in the shadows, create Outer Heaven, while Venom was getting all the attention in his war against XOF.

Locopells
10-05-2015, 11:50 AM
If you want stealth, then you could do worse then give Splinter Cell and Hitman a try. The recent HM messes with the formula a bit, but is still a decent game.

king-hailz
10-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys, those are some really great suggestions. So far I'm planning to get these in the near future

Jak and Daxter Collection
Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5
Witcher 3
Journey
Metal Gear Solid series
Dishonoured
Mass Effect Trilogy

I've already played all the Uncharted Games and Batman Games, oh and which person who owns a Playstation hasn't played The Last of Us. I've been planning on playing Metal Gear Solid for a while now and already gave all the games. I've also started Bioshock, and am eagerly waiting for Uncharted 4.

Also I'm not going to be dissapointed with another series like I did with AC, because it hasn't always happened, I wouldn't mind Uncharted 4 being the last one, it was a brilliant series, and I don't expect them to carry on for money, and see Nathan Drake in the dumbest scenarios possible. Also the Batman Arkham games are great (except for Origins), and ended brilliantly without me wanting more.

cawatrooper9
10-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Well, you're on the Assassins Creed forums, so I assume that you at least somewhat like these games.

If it's the sweeping epic story that you like, I suggest you try the Mass Effect series.
If it's the combat that you enjoy, the Arkham series and Shadows of Mordor are similar (and honestly probably better).
Another great stealth game is Dishonored- though I've heard that the MGS series is great, I haven't played it.
For another pseudohistorical experience, I cannot recommend the Mount and Blade games enough. Love those games (and their mods).

VestigialLlama4
10-05-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm late but I'll chip in:

Dishonored (whose sequel is coming next year, the DLC - The Knife of Dunwall/Brigmore Witches is pretty great too).
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater HD (the others games suck including Phantom Pain)
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Mark of the Ninja (best damn 2D Stealth game...Chronicles can go f--k itself)
Braid
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Portal and Portal 2
Tomb Raider 2013
Arkham Games (except Origins of course)
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
Bioshock Infinite (flawed but worth a couple of playthroughs at the very least, Avoid the DLC at all Cost)
Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare (A flawed game but definitely a classic, Undead Nightmare is a better Zombie game than left 4 dead and Last of Us and i will not entertain any disputation)
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (better than the Vanilla game and Far Cry 4)
Uncharted 2 (the other games are not as fun but still quite good)

If you are into Retro Games:
Psychonauts (one of my top five favorite games and it's hilarious and quite similar to AC in many many ways)
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Zelda Wind Waker (a game that I think even non-Zelda fans can really appreciate)
Super Mario 64 (Parkour and Underwater would not exist without Ashraf Ismail's favorite game)
Half Life 2 and its Two Episodes (Honestly after that Strider Battle why do people want HL-3, there's no need)
The Sands of Time (the Sequels can go f--k itself)

And one recent discovery of mine
007 - Everything or Nothing. This game was totally forgotten but it's super-impressive and probably the best Bond game since Golden Eye. It's also obviously influential on Uncharted's gameplay and mission design. And the title song is quite catchy too. Got some decent boss fights as well.

Locopells
10-06-2015, 12:19 AM
I still don't get the hate for Arkham Origins - as long as you're aware it's a copy and paste job, gameplay-wise, of City, then...

dread_stone
10-06-2015, 12:33 AM
Dishonored >>> Assassin's Creed.

D.I.D.
10-06-2015, 12:53 AM
I still don't get the hate for Arkham Origins - as long as you're aware it's a copy and paste job, gameplay-wise, of City, then...

For me, it was more that the copy/paste issue. First there were the map problems, where you'd expect to be able to fly A to B but there was actually an invisible wall in the way, so you had to learn where the bottlenecks were: an instantly reduced sense of freedom. Then there was a general lack of charm, of art. If you got the serious bugs too, and there were some really awful ones such as essential doors that failed to open, then your impression was really soured. The sad thing is it does pick up later, enough to potentially leave you with a good overall impression, but for a lot of people (me included) we were like, "Nope... already hate you, sorry". It's a shame, because some of the best predator maps in the whole series are in Origins.

I think Origins suffered a lot because people wanted a proper Batman game like the comics next, with a functioning GTA-level Gotham: ordinary citizens walking everywhere, crimes to prevent, and no more tall tales about why the city is deserted. Weirdly, I think Origins absorbed blows for that which would have seen visited on Knight if it had been the direct sequel to City. But instead, Origins caught that flak and by the time Knight came around we were over our disappointment, blithely accepting yet another gangsters' playground.

Locopells
10-06-2015, 12:57 AM
I think I probably got lucky with Origins, coming so late to the party meant that most problems had been sorted (or I just didn't encounter them).