PDA

View Full Version : Faction with best ranged units?

JinnersJQ
10-02-2015, 04:44 AM
Hi there

I was wondering if someone who was reasonably well-versed with this game could let me know what their opinion is on the faction with the best ranged units. I love using them. Any suggestions? Traditionally (i.e. Homm 3) I think it was Castle or Academy. Wonder how things have changed?

victorash
10-02-2015, 06:19 AM
I didn't play all factions yet. Only Haven and Stronghold and with Stronghold Gnolls (gathered from heroes and castle) + Centaurs rules in week 1 with the Offense abilities - accuracy that increase the base damage of ranged units and archery that enables you no range penalty. Homeland that gives you +8 attack as Governor. With over 100 gnolls power stack and making groups of 1 gnoll that trick AI into shooting them(that personally I think it's stupid) I could defeat enemyes listed as deadly with losing only the 1 gnoll stacks.

Loup-Solitaire
10-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Having your 1 gnoll stack killed give you -20 on "morale"(don't know the english name for it) on all your units,so it can be useful;however it rely too much on luck in my opinion,as there is no way to be sure it makes your stack of 100 gnolls loses its turn.

The mechanism of gain/loss of "morale" can be quite interesting,an addition to the game who could make battles a bit more strategic,I think.

About academy;I haven't played all units presently;however the cabir can be useful in large groups,but apprentice aren't very powerful and easily killed.If the legendary one is the shantiri titans,they seems very powerful(haven't got any in the campaign now,but had to face them).

dudex82
10-02-2015, 07:58 AM
the sylvans are really strong.

mainly because of hunters. they have lots of growth and 2x shots (applying 2 marks) . if u get offensive skills the damage is amazing.

also got druids which are decent with good growth

treants are good also with some interesting abilities

only other faction with 3 ranged are academy and i dont think theirs are as powerful even with titans.

victorash
10-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Loup-Solitaire: usualy it doesn't matter too much that -20 morale, because I also kill enemy stacks and this means +10 morale and also I have morale bonuses from sites that due to a bug don't disspapear (after loading the game thecounter is resetted back to 3). So the 1 unit stack is irresistible for AI - it eill always attack that - doesn't matter if it's core, elite and/or champion

dudex82: I also think that Sylvian with the proper abilities could be the best ranged faction, but I didn't play them yet, so I can't pronounce on this

JinnersJQ
10-04-2015, 01:30 AM
Thanks for your opinions guy, I think I'll give Sylvan a go. Their level 1 double shot hunters might do the trick.

Wintermist
10-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Sylvan yeah, but Haven and Stronghold aren't so bad either.

Fyrestorme
10-04-2015, 03:46 AM
Sylvan probably the best

I can't agree with the initiative value they gave titans. Titans are supposed to be second fastest unit in game, along with black dragons :P

ScuipiciTB
10-04-2015, 05:08 AM
I would go with Sylvan and Stronghold .

victorash
10-04-2015, 06:07 AM
Wintermist: don't know why but when played in beta with Haven, they seemed quite weak as ranged units. Don't know what happened with marksmen but they disn't do too much damage. It's true that i played a magic hero, but still...

Wintermist
10-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Wintermist: don't know why but when played in beta with Haven, they seemed quite weak as ranged units. Don't know what happened with marksmen but they disn't do too much damage. It's true that i played a magic hero, but still...

It's because the Marksmen don't have that range penalty. Magic Hero will influence it for sure, but if you do play that see if you can get the spell that boosts the ranged damage and you should be up to speed again.

EDIT: I forgot, the Piercing Shot can be epic at times.