PDA

View Full Version : Zig-zag roads

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi all

Is there any chance that the roads might run in straight lines rather than the switchback pattern currently used? I.e.

\
. \
. . \
. . . \

rather than

__
. . |
. . |__
. . . . |
. . . . |

Philips CDRW

Posting vacuous messages since 2002

Philips CDRW

XyZspineZyX
08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi all

Is there any chance that the roads might run in straight lines rather than the switchback pattern currently used? I.e.

\
. \
. . \
. . . \

rather than

__
. . |
. . |__
. . . . |
. . . . |

Philips CDRW

Philips CDRW

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry I can't give you the roads.
But I can give you Zig Zag.

Here she is, have fun/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://vcl.ctrl-c.liu.se/vcl/Artists/Max-Black-Rabbit/zzstudioclrsm.jpg

<center>

http://www.moomin.fi/pics/logo.gif </p>
<center>

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Death you die from, me you have to live with/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </p>

XyZspineZyX
08-04-2003, 02:04 AM
In hilly country the roads will be twisty even if the hiss themselves are not really high. And much of Russia is hilly country even when not mountainous. Many gullies and steams, folded land. The roads will follow the easier and more level path. Up large hillsides there will be switchbacks just so the road is not too steep.

They didn't have huge roadcrews with bulldozers and other heavy equipment for most of the roads in the USSR in those days. They didn't pave most of the roads either. Much of the traffic was drawn by horses or other animals (can you harness a Yak?) and the roads had to go where they could go. So going up any kind of moderately steep grades was out.

The Germans found this out once the rains hit. Their heavy use of the roads by so many tanks and trucks just beat the dirt into mud pits where lighter traffic would only make ruts but still be hard enough going.

You wouldn't want to be climbing straight over every 10m rise in those conditions if you could go around without too much out of the way. To go up the hill at an angle, either you have to cut into the side of the hill, build up the road onto the side, or your vehicle/cart has to tilt and maybe roll down the hill. This is where lack of heavy equipment and many tons of materials is needed to 'straighten' the roads even a little, and Joe Stalin had other priorities.

I see long enough stretches of straight road on the maps where the countryside is shown flat.

Neal