PDA

View Full Version : Tips for beginners?

xtNoctis
09-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Hi, I'm a noobie when it comes to might and magic. I keep finding myself low in army supply and not enough gold/resources to buy more. The more my army dies the more dire the situation gets. Are there any tips veterans from the series can give? Is there a guide to which buildings you should purchase first to make the campaign easier?

I'm currently playing the dungeon campaign and I have mage/warrior heroes. What should I focus on when leveling my characters?

Thanks guys!

Wintermist
09-29-2015, 08:25 PM
First tip would be to not make your font massive in the forum, I was tempted to not answer at all.

As for income, you can focus on buying the town upgrade that gives you gold per turn first. As for armies, if you lose too many even that added income won't save you. Try and make sure you lose as few as possible, thinking of the battles a bit like chess. Sometimes it's wiser not to move your units forward too far and to let the AI move the first ste, you can wait as well as defend.

You can see how far the AI units can move by mousing over and looking at the map what is highlighted. If you are new to the series you will figure all this out in time, expect a harder time before you get comfortable with how to handle things in the game. All of us have gone through that :) There's more to the combat than it seems.

ScuipiciTB
09-30-2015, 03:52 AM
What's the difficulty you're playing on? Maybe you're moving your units too far, or not using the correct spells for that particular situation. Scale down the difficulty if you find it too hard and when you get better you can scale it bit by bit.

corosan
09-30-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't know what skill line you should follow, the game has been released yesterday and there is very few experience from the beta stage...
But here are some basic tips for the gameplay and city improvement:

City:
- in many cases its good to build the mage guild in the first turn. those casts will help you through the first fights.
- always set focus on developing the town hall at town level 3, 9 and 15 (i think that are the levels). the cash flow is very important!
- try to build the first 3 dwellings in the first week. even if you aren't able to recruit all creatures, you can recruit them later. upgrading the dwellings can also wait.
- in some cases its a good tactic to build the hall of heroes in week 2, to make a hero a "delivery man", to supply the mainchar with creatures every week. but thats kinda advanced play.

World map:
- in the first stages of the game, make sure you ALWAYS choose gold instead of experience (treasure chests).
- the first steps have to be, taking control over the ore- and wood-mines. in the best case, you take those 2 buildings in the first 2 days.
- don't try to fight overwhelming armies! the lime colored ones are easy, but for beginners tough enough. try not to lose any units and retry the fight if you think its possible to get a better result.
(in some cases there are archer-units and you have no chance not to lose any unit, but try your best :) )
- try to figure out how your units work together in the best way and develop tactics against all kind of enemys.

Hope those tips help a little bit and you have fun with homm :)

broui
09-30-2015, 02:48 PM
1. Go slow at first - in fact, I might not do campaigns right away. Learn some basic strategy on a skirmish map. But, go slow. Fight battles (while you're learning) that are "trivial" or "low" threats.
2. Find Ore and Wood right away.
3. Build creature buildings asap - have at least your core creatures by the end of the first week.
4. Money means a lot, so whenever possible, build those buildings as well.
5. After a week or so, hire another hero as a runner. The extra troops they come with help early on.
6. There is no way to level up that is really better than another but having said that, focus more on skills that will help you in battle at the start (hint: economy won't)

victorash
09-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Watch live streams on Twitch and recorded ones on Yotube. You will see & learn how pro players play.
Ingame save a lot and if you do a big mistake like losing all your army load the game and don't attack that unit

victorash
09-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Why you guys advice him to buy 2'nd hero in the second week? The first thing I do on a map (especially on Heroic difficulty) is to buy the second hero from same race, take his army and start combats. The 2'nd hero will pick up resources and bring more reinforcements from the castle. On a small map I have 3 heroes week1. And from my point of view it's a must if you want to have a good score

ScuipiciTB
09-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Why you guys advice him to buy 2'nd hero in the second week? The first thing I do on a map (especially on Heroic difficulty) is to buy the second hero from same race, take his army and start combats. The 2'nd hero will pick up resources and bring more reinforcements from the castle. On a small map I have 3 heroes week1. And from my point of view it's a must if you want to have a good score

That's exactly what I do. The second hero is basically a resource gatherer and exploration, I also get skills on him that benefits the town and stuff.