PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to play Assassin's Creed after the Ezio trilogy?

emperorff2
09-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Hy guys, i'm new here, so first and foremost, nice to meet you all!

Anyway, i began playing Assassin's Creed this year (yeah, took me a while), and i'm nearly finishing Brotherhood. When i was researching the titles i noticed that IV, III, Liberation and Rogue have connected timelines, but could be played in different orders. I wanna know what's the best way to play it. I was told to play III, Liberation, IV, the IV DLC and then Rougue. Is this the best?

Thank you all!

EmptyCrustacean
09-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Anyway, i began playing Assassin's Creed this year (yeah, took me a while), and i'm nearly finishing Brotherhood. When i was researching the titles i noticed that IV, III, Liberation and Rogue have connected timelines, but could be played in different orders. I wanna know what's the best way to play it. I was told to play III, Liberation, IV, the IV DLC and then Rougue. Is this the best?

Thank you all!

Yep, that was the order those titles were released.

ETA: Forget the other stuff I wrote. It would spoil MD.

Locopells
09-29-2015, 04:20 PM
That will mess up the MD storylines, however.

emperorff2
09-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Yep, that was the order those titles were released.

ETA: Forget the other stuff I wrote. It would spoil MD.

Thank you! I like to follow the storyline in the correct way, so i will play it like this. It reminds of Kingdom Hearts, actually. I began playing KH back in 2006 and played the games in the release order....i always wished i could play them in the chronological order.

Aphex_Tim
09-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Well, If you want to play the historical story in chronological order, you start with AC4 (+Freedom Cry), then Rogue > AC3 > Liberation.

If you want to play with the modern day storyline in chronological order: Liberation > AC3 > AC4 > Rogue.

pacmanate
09-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Play them in the years they came out. That way you wont feel like features are missing, and that way the MD storyline won't be screwed.

ze_topazio
09-29-2015, 06:10 PM
Play in order of release.

- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed Altair's Chronicles (Nintendo DS and cellphones)
- Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (PSP)
- Assassin's Creed II
- Assassin's Creed II Discovery (Nintendo DS and iOS)
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
- Assassin's Creed Revelations
- Assassin's Creed III
- Assassin's Creed Liberation
(Lib. and III came out at the same time but it's probably better to play III first)
- Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
- Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry (DLC to IV, but also sold as a standalone)
- Assassin's Creed Rogue
- Assassin's Creed Unity
(Unity and Rogue came out at the same time, probably you could play Rogue first because of a similar gameplay style and the storyline is more connected to the previous games than Unity which sorts of starts a new storyline)
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India
- Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia

There's a also a couple cellphone exclusive games whose storylines are canon.

Assassin's Creed: Memories
Assassin's Creed: Pirates
Assassin's Creed Identity

Plus short movies, comics, books and short stories in the old Facebook game and Initiates website.

I think I'm not forgetting anything

Play whatever you want, take your time and good luck.

VestigialLlama4
09-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Except for ROGUE, which is really continuity heavy, both Black Flag and AC3 are standalone titles at least as far as the historical section goes. The MD of course needs you to play AC3 before Black Flag.

Liberation is also standalone, it can be appreciated individually, as can Freedom Cry.

For Rogue however, you need to play all four games and Unity to truly appreciate it, because it doesn't have a good deal new of its own.

strigoi1958
09-30-2015, 03:45 AM
Except for ROGUE, which is really continuity heavy, both Black Flag and AC3 are standalone titles at least as far as the historical section goes. The MD of course needs you to play AC3 before Black Flag.

Liberation is also standalone, it can be appreciated individually, as can Freedom Cry.

+1

Moultonborough
09-30-2015, 05:23 AM
After Brotherhood play Revelations. If you skip over it you will be lost on the important MD events that were in between Brotherhood and AC3. I have never (and won't) play the handheld or cellphone/IOS games. When it comes to AC IV and Rogue I would play AC IV first as MD again would be confusing what occured. Just play them in the order they came out:

AC1> AC2 > AC:B> AC:RE> AC3> AC IV> AC Unity >AC:Ro > AC:S. Liberation you can play if you wish but (imo) consider it a spin-off. No matter order you play them in Have Fun with it ;)

Hans684
09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
Everything except Unity, it has no point story wise.

legendvinu
09-30-2015, 08:22 AM

Thank you all!

the best arrangement is IV(Edword kenway Haythan's father) III(conner is haythan's son) Rouge (Shay) play unity(Arno) and liberation is kind of totally different.All the best and enjoy. concentrate on story line i think that would be great

cawatrooper9
09-30-2015, 06:11 PM
Here's my suggestion:

ACIII

AC Liberation (Can skip if you want)

AC IV

AC Freedom Cry (Can skip if you want)

AC Rogue (Play through all 6 main memories... stop before starting "Incomplete memory 3", the final entry into the Animus.)

AC Unity

AC Rogue (Now play "Incomplete Memory 3")

Syndicate (I assume this is where this will fit in, given its release data and chronological time period)

ze_topazio
09-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Everything except Unity, it has no point story wise.

What happened to play games for the enjoyment of it?

BananaBlighter
09-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Here's my suggestion:

ACIII

AC Liberation (Can skip if you want)

AC IV

AC Freedom Cry (Can skip if you want)

AC Rogue (Play through all 6 main memories... stop before starting "Incomplete memory 3", the final entry into the Animus.)

AC Unity

AC Rogue (Now play "Incomplete Memory 3")

Syndicate (I assume this is where this will fit in, given its release data and chronological time period)

I agree. They kept saying before release that at the beginning of Unity there was a mystery that would be solved in Rogue (and it was), and at the end of Rogue there was a mystery that would be solved in Unity, so you could play either one first. However it's a lot better to solve the mystery from Unity in Rogue, but playing Rogue after Unity can feel weird when you've just gotten familiar with new gameplay mechanics and then it suddenly changes. You might also forget what happens in AC3 and AC4 too.

Hans684
09-30-2015, 08:16 PM

The story is what I enjoy the most, that's my main reason for playing the games. So I do play for the enjoyment, as long as the story isn't a filler.

Aphex_Tim
09-30-2015, 08:46 PM

I gotta say I'm more prone to be pissed off by Unity's gameplay than to really enjoying it. (except for the free-running; personal favorite of the series)
However I just can't resist coming back to the game all the time simply because of how absolutely stunningly beautiful Paris looks ingame...

pacmanate
10-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Wasn't too fun in my opinion. Templar Grand Master felt like no threat, hardly appeared. Flash Back sequences were just confusing on the first playthrough. Arno & Elise's relationship was already established prior to the game taking place so I had no reason to care about their relationship. Targets were B-List, no one sinister or developed.

The only thing good about Unity in my opinion are the technical aspects.

Zafar1981
10-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Every game after Ezio trilogy is waste of time esp AC 3 and Unity.

Moultonborough
10-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Every game after Ezio trilogy is waste of time esp AC 3 and Unity.

I wouldn't say that's completly true. If they want to go story wise AC3 is a must. IMO AC3 is far from the worst game. Sure Connor is quite the polar opposite from Ezio personality wise but I found that to be refreshing after 3 games with Ezio. Again IMO AC3 covers a much more serious topic/POV then the playful-ish subjects of the previous 3 games. As they have not played yet I will not mention the other reason but even that could have gone worse than it did. AC IV is one of the best (if not the best) game in the series. It was something so vastly diffrent from all other games in the series that it worked well. Sailing around the ocean was great, all the massive amount of extra content besides main story made it worthwhile enough. Sure he does not fully embrace the Creed till late in the game which bothers some poeple but does not make it worse than the Ezio trilogy. Though the ton of tail missions was quite annoying.

When it comes to Unity....... because of all the wicked bugs at launch a lot of people hated and got a grudge against it right away and still do. A very valid point it is true but by now most of them are gone and it's playable. Pre-Unity story's are better as well I will give you that but still decent. I've played games that were worse overall than Unity. Just to say that all games after AC:R is a waste of time is (at least to me) inaccurate. Esp. when it comes to AC IV. But you're fully entitled to a personal opinion

SixKeys
10-02-2015, 01:21 PM
How come the best defense people always give for AC3's story is "well, it wasn't like Ezio, that makes it good"?

Journey93
10-02-2015, 02:01 PM
How come the best defense people always give for AC3's story is "well, it wasn't like Ezio, that makes it good"?

They don't have any other argument. Its like Connor is suddenly a good character just because he isn't Ezio (lol) and so "realistic".

The story in AC3 was a mess. I liked the Templars and especially Haytham though.

Anyway to OP:
Play Revelations man, it gives closure on Ezio and Altair. A very emotinal game.

After that the series goes downhill but AC3 and especially AC4 are still enjoyable.
I wouldn't bother with Rogue, Liberation or Unity but its your choice

Shahkulu101
10-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Who said that was the best defense? There are a ton of other reasons people have given for AC3's story being good, don't just cherry-pick the worst ones and say "yep, no good arguments for AC3's story at all".

Moultonborough
10-02-2015, 02:34 PM
I happened to love the story within AC3. I thought it was very interesting like I said it covered a more serious topic then Ezio's game's had. I found it was a nice change of pace. Not being an Ezio game does not mean anything but for some people they may enjoy it because of that. Not really my personal reason for it but if that's why for some people fine.

Journey93
10-02-2015, 03:09 PM
I happened to love the story within AC3. I thought it was very interesting like I said it covered a more serious topic then Ezio's game's had. I found it was a nice change of pace. Not being an Ezio game does not mean anything but for some people they may enjoy it because of that. Not really my personal reason for it but if that's why for some people fine.

I did like the more serious tone but I feel like the story had a lot of other problems (like Forrest Gump Connor or "WHERE'S CHARLES LEE).

Moultonborough
10-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I did like the more serious tone but I feel like the story had a lot of other problems (like Forrest Gump Connor or "WHERE'S CHARLES LEE).

Connor screaming that was stupid as hell. When it came to the narration between the sequences I thought was nice compared to the rest of the games with just a white room. Connor being present at pretty much every large event pre,during and after the war was kinda stupid as well. But when people think of the Rev. War those are always the events they think of plus all well documented so easy to use.

SixKeys
10-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Who said that was the best defense? There are a ton of other reasons people have given for AC3's story being good, don't just cherry-pick the worst ones and say "yep, no good arguments for AC3's story at all".

Fair enough. It's just that the one I hear on these forums most often is "people who don't like AC3 just didn't understand how deep and intellectual it was because they only want more Godzio blah blah blah".

ze_topazio
10-02-2015, 04:48 PM
The story is what I enjoy the most, that's my main reason for playing the games. So I do play for the enjoyment, as long as the story isn't a filler.

Yeah, but that's you, the OP didn't ask anyone's opinion on how much they enjoyed any storyline, like it or not Unity is still a main chapter and its story still contributes for the overall plot, maybe I should advice him/her to not play Revelations and III since I didn't enjoyed those two that much, Revelations in particular is as filler as they come and III modern story is so bad I would prefer to pretend it never happened, and of course the majority of the ancestors segments in all the games are huge fillers, might as well watch only what matters on Youtube.

SixKeys
10-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but that's you, the OP didn't ask anyone's opinion on how much they enjoyed any storyline, like it or not Unity is still a main chapter and its story still contributes for the overall plot

How, if I may ask? Even Bishop admitted at the end that looking through Arno's memories was entirely pointless.

ze_topazio
10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
I don't know, I didn't play the game, from the spoilers I heard there's still some things relevant.

I-Like-Pie45
10-02-2015, 05:40 PM
I don't think you people know much about the American Revolution if you think Connor was at every major event and met every major person.

ze_topazio
10-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I was actually expecting to see a lot more of the revolution and was disappointed that they didn't show more.

Hans684
10-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah, but that's you, the OP didn't ask anyone's opinion on how much they enjoyed any storyline.

As far as I'm aware the question is "What's the best way to play Assassin's Creed after the Ezio trilogy?" My awnser is to play everything except Unity.

Like it or not Unity is still a main chapter and its story still contributes for the overall plot.

It does't, less than Liberation actually. In Unity you're "you"(random Initiate) who are told to look trough Arno's memories to find a Sage he may have crossed paths with(while showing a picture of the Sage during the King's execution). So we relive his memories only to find out the Sages bones is hidden in the catacombs and in a bad condition, his bones can't be used. In short, a waste of time and might as well say history as well.

In Liberation it's you again, literally. You are a costumer buying an Abstergo Entertainment game with edited memories of Aveline to make the Templars "good guys". It has two purposes as either you can fall for the propaganda or see the truth delivered by Erudito. It's all about you. Plus a mention of Eve. As said Liberation has more value story wise than Unity because it has purposes and they are accomplished either way. Or build upon like the constant Eve teasing we are getting.

Maybe I should advice him/her to not play Revelations and III since I didn't enjoyed those two that much, Revelations in particular is as filler as they come and III modern story is so bad I would prefer to pretend it never happened.

Him, her or it, it's irrelevant. In Revelations you relive Ezio's last memories along with Alta´r's. All to get out of a come, unless you're saying he'd be able to save the world in AC3 while being in a coma. So again, Unity is still the biggest filler.
In AC3 you relived both Haytham's and Connor's memories to find The Key so he could save the world. In both of those guns the memories ends with something being done unlike Unity. It's not about wether I enjoy the story, it's about it progressing. Unity don't have a purpose, it's only to show of the new gameplay.

[/UOTE]And of course the majority of the ancestors segments in all the games are huge fillers, might as well watch only what matters on Youtube.[/QUOTE]

Story wise that's not how it works, you can't skip to the last important memory. You have to be eased in. So I'll relive every memory to reach the end goal.

duncanr2n
10-05-2015, 07:57 PM
All I can say is that I wouldn't skip Freedom Cry. Getting to know Adewale gave certain events in Rogue more impact.

BTW, I played Rogue before Unity so I think I know the mystery from Unity that is revealed in Rogue but I don't know the mystery in Rogue that was revealed in Unity. Any ideas?

BananaBlighter
10-05-2015, 08:03 PM
All I can say is that I wouldn't skip Freedom Cry. Getting to know Adewale gave certain events in Rogue more impact.

BTW, I played Rogue before Unity so I think I know the mystery from Unity that is revealed in Rogue but I don't know the mystery in Rogue that was revealed in Unity. Any ideas?

There is none, it was all a lie in the marketing.

Assassin_M
10-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Best way to play Assassins Creed after the Ezio trilogy....You don't. You don't play. That's how you play.

cawatrooper9
10-05-2015, 08:28 PM
There is none, it was all a lie in the marketing.

Well there's a little tease of the Tempar's Unity plot at the end of Rogue, as well as an implied connection between the events of ACIII and ACU... but it wasn't all that big of a reveal.

Hans684
10-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Well there's a little tease of the Tempar's Unity plot at the end of Rogue, as well as an implied connection between the events of ACIII and ACU... but it wasn't all that big of a reveal.

There we two revolution plots, a peaceful one with the Assassins or Germain's extremist one.

cawatrooper9
10-05-2015, 09:27 PM
There we two revolution plots, a peaceful one with the Assassins or Germain's extremist one.

True, and the discussion where it's mentioned in Rogue happens about ten-ish years from Germain's coup. I wonder why Shay would say "Let's have a revolution of our own"(paraphrased) to an Assassin, implying that "our" refers to Templars and excluding Assassins, if the groups were supposed to work together?