PDA

View Full Version : The Medallion

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey, anyone seen the trailer for The Medallion? It looks like a more story oriented Jackie Chan action-comedy this time around. Hopefully we'll get some good fights this time, not the corny jokes and comedic three-stooges fighting we got in Shanghai Knights...

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--Capt. Carter: "You think it might be a booby trap?"
Teal'c: "Booby?"
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"
--"War is not about who's right, it's about who's left." -Anders Russell

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey, anyone seen the trailer for The Medallion? It looks like a more story oriented Jackie Chan action-comedy this time around. Hopefully we'll get some good fights this time, not the corny jokes and comedic three-stooges fighting we got in Shanghai Knights...

<hr>
--"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man." -Col. Jack O'Neill -Stargate SG-1
--"I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running, try to catch up" -in Russian on a bomb tech's shirt from "The Sum of All Fears"
--"All my life, I've been waiting for someone and when I find her, she's a fish!" -Tom Hanks "Splash"

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:38 AM
lol i was just watching trigun and i saw it. it looks really good. jakie chan is a great action guy. funny as hell and does great stunts. if you havent seen Shanghai Knights you need to. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.desiredfx.net/sigs/files/deviantsig1.jpg (http://www.desiredfx.net)
You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
DesiredFx (http://www.desiredfx.net)

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Hehe, actually I just finished making fun of Shanghai Knights. I think the first one was definitely better, it had humor, but at least it was somewhat serious and believable. Shanghai Knights was just over the top ridiculous from beginning to end.

I mainly liked Jackie Chan's old movies. The Prisoner sucked though. Gorgeous is a good movie if you like corny love stories, and it also had some really good one on one martial arts fighting. Long and intense fights. But not a really serious movie.

Mr. Nice Guy was pretty entertaining, but I liked Jacki Chan's First Strike the best I think. Rumble in the Bronx was pretty good too. A lot of those Chan movies that got released in the USA was actually all part of the Jackie Chan Police Story series, but they decided to release them as separate movies under alternate titles. But this would explain why a lot of them had the same characters.

Twin Dragons was entertaining, and had some really nice (and dangerous) stunts toward the end, well, then again, so did almost all of his movies...

The American Jackie Chan movies weren't as good in my opinion, like Rush Hour and stuff like that.

Oh yah, who can forget Legend of Drunken Master?? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Demon_Mustang wrote:
- Hey, anyone seen the trailer for The Medallion? It
- looks like a more story oriented Jackie Chan
- action-comedy this time around. Hopefully we'll get
- some good fights this time, not the corny jokes and
- comedic three-stooges fighting we got in Shanghai
- Knights...
-

I think its a chinese / hong kong production......

so its going to be a lot like his earlier (non american) work..... but it looks good tho..... looks like they've spent quite a few bucks on it....

<center><font size=2 face=arial>
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Sangsta

Splinter Cell Forum Moderator
&
XIII Forum Moderator

----------</font>
<font face="Verdana">Click Here to see the Ubi.com Forum Guidelines (http://www.ubi.com/US/CommunityZone/Forums/guidelines)

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Yah, I'm surprised to see a Jackie Chan movie with lots of pyrotechnics and special effects. Most of his movies are just action comedies with the occasional explosion, or the running over of an estate and expensive cars with a huge dump truck, haha.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 06:58 AM
all those movies were great(all the older ones). i like Shanghai Knights better than the first just because while i like action movies, i like comedies just a bit more. Ledgend of Drunken Master was a great movie. All the fight scenes were very well choriographed(sp?)

if you liked movies like that you may want to check out the 'Once Upon a Time in China' movies. they starred Jet Li i believe and i thought that they were some of the better kung-fu-ish movies.

You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:04 AM
Well, they were popular, but with all honesty, I'm not a huge Jet Li fan, and Once Upon a Time in China was a little over the top with him single-handedly fighting over 100 people.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:07 AM
yea but i also liked the Matrix's which have him fighting over 100 of the same guy. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Deviant_DFx wrote:
- all those movies were great(all the older ones). i
- like Shanghai Knights better than the first just
- because while i like action movies, i like comedies
- just a bit more. Ledgend of Drunken Master was a
- great movie. All the fight scenes were very well
- choriographed(sp?)
-
-

yep... all his older movies were great....

Police Story 1,2....... Armour of God..... soo many to remember.....

But the medalion... has one american lady in it... Clair whats-her-face !!

<center><font size=2 face=arial>
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Sangsta

Splinter Cell Forum Moderator
&
XIII Forum Moderator

----------</font>
<font face="Verdana">Click Here to see the Ubi.com Forum Guidelines (http://www.ubi.com/US/CommunityZone/Forums/guidelines)

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Haha, Keanu Reeves has no fighting skill whatsoever. He constantly reveals his back and the vulnerable underarm area when he's "fighting." Also, in that fight with hundreds of Smiths, did you notice whenever one of them approached Neo from behind, instead of simply striking him, they will put their hand on his shoulder or his head?

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Cause they fight fair and don't sucker punch somebody from behind.

<Center>
http://www3.telus.net\robert\girl.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:30 AM
HAHA, I'm surprised I haven't heard that excuse yet, but too bad that would negate the entire purpose of outnumbering him... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-08-2003, 07:38 AM
i didn't care for once upon a time in china too much but i did enjoy matrix reloaded. jackie chan is awesome. i've been watching his stuff years before he was in the usa. as for jet li his best movie in my opinion has to be fist of legend. i just rented shanghai knights so i'm off to see it now... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<hr>
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. Power hath decended forth from thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee and teaming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Jackie Chan's earlier movies were much better than his American ones.

Although I really liked Gorgeous, which was a very un-Jackie Chan-ish movie /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://www.vap3r.com/stunts/uploads/deathsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 04:37 AM
The fighting was very good in Gorgeous. But yah, it wasn't really like Jackie Chan because this time it was more like competitive fighting, not like, using everything possible to stay unharmed, fighting like usual.

But many people misunderstand and underestimate Jackie Chan. They think he's just a publicity man, and all his fighting is just for the movies. Basically people claim he does not know how to fight, but this is not at all true. If you watch just that one movie gorgeous, Chan mixes and goes through many different fighting style. One in particular that I really like is Wing Chun, which is what that doll with the pegs sticking out is supposed to help practice.

Anyway, Chan studies and practices basically every practical, and some unpractical, fighting techniques known basically. Anything from American Kick-Boxing to Shanghai style Drunken Boxing. Wing Chun to Shanghai Fist Kung Fu.

However, he probably does not memorize and perfect the styles to the point where you can compete in Wushu like Jet Li. Wushu is like competitive, showy, martial arts. The moves are exagerrated for visual effect. Jet Li is really good at this, but to be honest, competing in Wushu does not really train someone to fight in real life. Not to say Jet Li cannot whoop some unexpecting mugger's ***, but winning in Wu-shu isn't really an accurate measure.

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Jet Li is hot! *drools*

http://www.vap3r.com/stunts/uploads/deathsig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-09-2003, 04:58 AM
Jet Li... heha, I just got done watching Kiss of the Dragon (I got it from the Phili, so maybe it has a different name).

I dunno, I'm a bit disappointed with Chan these days. Shanghai Knights was ok, but his cartoon is terrible-all this fantasy crap about talismans and monsters. I watched the trailer for The Medallion, and it looked a bit...hmm... shady? A quick scene when catches a couple bullets then flicks them back, I found that a bit cheesy. His old ones were awesome hands down. Drunken Master, Operation: Commodore, Supercop, Who am I... Those were so fun to watch... Now a lot of his work is a bit wishy washy, if you can call it that.

http://www.vap3r.com/stunts/uploads/sally.JPG

XyZspineZyX
08-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Eh, I don't care for the fantasy stuff either, but Jackie Chan really likes this comedic stuff, and I guess just fighting and running around is getting a bit tiresome to him, so turning to more fantasy or sci-fi opens up more possibilities. Anyway, I just like the fighting, and Shanghai Knights had some horrible fight scenes. If you can call it that...

<hr>

XyZspineZyX
08-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Demon_Mustang wrote:
- Yah, I'm surprised to see a Jackie Chan movie with
- lots of pyrotechnics and special effects. Most of
- his movies are just action comedies with the
- occasional explosion, or the running over of an
- estate and expensive cars with a huge dump truck,
- haha.

THAT ONE ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!

<marquee loop="infinite" width=500> <table style="filter:glow[color=green,
strength=5)"><td><a
<font color="orange"> <font size 30> /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif -|--< </font size 30>
the stick fugure <font></a></table>
</marquee></font>