PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a full on Modern Day AC game?

TimeLock09
09-28-2015, 11:26 PM
I know this topic has been discussed to death, but something is really bugging me. I think we're gonna get a Modern Day/Present Day Assassin's Creed game VERY soon. The reason why I say this is because they have the "traffic system" from Syndicate from all the horse and carriages so they could convert that to cars etc. Why would they let that go to waste? I do think a present day game is inevitable though, what with the movie coming out next december and everything. Plus they have the animation for the rope launcher, so why not use that for scaling buildings splinter cell style? Ubisoft like to re-cycle assets and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way to them. Just saying why would they gid rid of stuff? I know people don't really like the idea of a full 21st century game, but it would work extremely well. And for people that say Watch_Dogs is the modern creed, it really isn't haha. It's nothing like Assassin's Creed. That's a poor-mans AC game if you will.

Also, we're gonna have to deal with Juno eventually in the present along with her followers like Aita (and possibly more First Civ members because I know she won't be alone) so it will happen sooner or later. I like the Modern Day, it's my favourite part of the series, but it needs to adapt. This is the only way it can adapt. Ubisoft can show us a true open-world full of life. It's inevitable. What do you think? Yay, or nay? And why not?

TimeLock09
09-28-2015, 11:49 PM
Ooooo two against one, feeling lucky? :P. But seriously, why not though? Why wouldn't it work?

strigoi1958
09-28-2015, 11:50 PM
I think there are lots of modern day games around already... and if it was set in modern day then any MD section would have to be set in the future :p but seriously... there are far more better times to visit and it is supposed to be about accessing memories of ancestors not about memories of today.

The forum has a wealth of very knowledgeable people on AC lore and History and a full MD game would bypass much of that.
MD I believe needs to be interactive not just story... Desmond was close but boring (sorry don't hate me :o) and went overboard with the save the world by suicide... I would like MD to include an active role and even a multiplayer so it can appeal to people like me who value gameplay more than storyline. Also multiplayer Templar versus Assassin in the memories, pick a side and go in game.... :D
So based on what AC has been and is... I cannot see it solely as an MD game. Although a limited DLC would probably be very well received.

You make some good points but I'm not sure the community could accept it as an AC game.

TimeLock09
09-28-2015, 11:58 PM
That's what I mean though, a modern day creed, set in the future. A future creed with future weapons to combat Juno and her followers etc. It could work. From what I've read, most people want MD back. And they're happy about it coming back, as am I. But in what form? The movie is covering the modern day, yes, but it just won't be enough. We want to interact with it like we did in Brotherhood/some part of AC3. I do agree Desmond was boring, but I don't miss him. We need another protaganist and by the looks of it, we might just get one down the line considering the whole "Eve" plot that's been talked about since forever. They butchered desmond, so I think it's best to leave him where he is (in the gray with juno) But there's got to be another "cipher" out there right? Someone who can go toe-to-toe with Juno/Aita. I'd rather take a floating person again than no MD to be completely honest, not that cutscenes crap we got in unity bleh. Hmmm your right, a DLC would be great, something like the Tyranny of King Washington could do it.

I just think they're cooking something up really good for the MD, all there signs are there. They will do something with it, just don't know what and in what form. Sooner or later, Juno is going to be a physical threat though in the present, how will Ubi deal with that? Maybe in the movie?

ze_topazio
09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
Only if it's not set in a city of modern skyscrapers, I'm tired of modern open world games set in the USA or some super modern Asian city.

A open world game in modern times in a city from the old world, now that would be fairly original.

TimeLock09
09-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Only if it's not set in a city of modern skyscrapers, I'm tired of modern open world games set in the USA or some super modern Asian city.

A open world game in modern times in a city from the old world, now that would be fairly original.

Modern skyscrapers would have to be it. It would work. People need to have faith that it would really work. It would give MD it's time to shine, fully this time around. not some short 10 min missions from AC3. People need to accept that AC is changing, it's been changing for a while now. It's learning and adapting, most people don't want it to, but it has too, to survive. Sadly, I think AC's time is coming to an end so why not go out with a bang with requested settings? We've already got the French Revolution and we already know how THAT went haha. We're getting Victorian London, another requested setting. Asia and Egypt are deffo on the list next, then hopefully a full blown modern AC game dealing with the juno threat. Ubi are ticking off their requested settings list and I do truly believe we're getting that MD game we've all dreamed about (big skyscrapers, possibly another protag since we've already got two in syndicate) It just makes you think really. A MD game is coming, wheather people like it or not. Only some of us do like the idea. And it's going to happen.

I want Juno actually taking over the damn world with her "other first civ members" if that's what she has planned (the hidden 12 etc) I want an epic battle between her and the player, with ALL the skills we've learned so far from the previous assassin's. I want the freakin' staff of eden ... again .. :P A man can dream. It just has to happen. It would be pretty cool fighting her, fighting her in the animus too. Just think about it. Imagine it. Embrace it.

ze_topazio
09-29-2015, 12:36 AM
I'm fairly sure the historical settings is what keeps this series alive despite the meh reputation it earned over the years.

strigoi1958
09-29-2015, 12:48 AM
I'm fairly sure the historical settings is what keeps this series alive.

Ze is right... you cannot take the defining point out of anything and consider it to be the same... AC games are about going back to the past... the MD section as much as people love it is a tiny percent of the game (although a bigger part of the story) removing the ancestors like Ezio, Altair, Connor, Haytham, Arno and Edward would also remove the need for the Animus etc... it would no longer be an AC game.. it would be just a MD game based on first civ characters like a spin off game.

The game and the MD are interlinked it could work if they stay together but I'm not sure it would stand alone.... I'm not certain a lot of AC fans would buy it... besides it is possible to use the animus to access Desmonds father and have an MD section just after Desmonds death.

HDinHB
09-29-2015, 12:55 AM
Considering Ubisoft couldn't pull off even a fraction of a game with a compelling MD, why do you think a full MD game would be better than Watch Dogs? (Which wasn't really that bad.) Maybe they will come up with something fresh and creative in the movie, but, at this point, I wouldn't even pay for MD DLC until Ubi can demonstrate they have something worth saying in MD.

Any suggestions? :cool:

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/images/content/Lisbon%283%29.jpg

Talk about reusing assets. Or maybe Prague, Vienna, St. Petersburg...

ze_topazio
09-29-2015, 01:21 AM
I like your way of thinking HDinHB, you have a great future ahead of you. :cool:

It doesn't necessarily have to be Europe, the Middle East, Africa, India, etc... could provide nice settings too.

dxsxhxcx
09-29-2015, 01:31 AM
IMO the best and most realistic scenario we can expect from the MD in AC is something similar to Splinter Cell, be able to climb everything in an open world environment nowadays, with so much technology that could be used against us (the internet, cellphones, traffic cameras, youtube, etc...) with no real consequences, would feel so forced that it hurts to even consider this as an option.

Even if most part of the game was set during the night, we still wouldn't have the same freedom we have during the historical portion of the game, that only gets a pass because information didn't use to travel as fast as it does today...

This doesn't mean we can't have some action going on during the MD, maybe even part of a city to roam around, but IMO our options (to climb buildings and our actions) would need to be really limited to don't feel forced, I certainly don't want to see the MD in AC becoming a shooter...

kosmoscreed
09-29-2015, 04:34 AM
I can't say I won't play or enjoy it if is good but I don't want it, the whole point of AC is to relive past eras.

saw2097
09-29-2015, 04:58 AM
A major point of AC has always been the visiting different eras, also a MD AC would just be a 3rd person stealth shooter and there are already plenty of those out.

Hans684
09-29-2015, 05:01 AM
AC got no limits, so yes. Can't waste potential because of fan definitions when the lore says otherwise.

pop2016
09-29-2015, 09:39 AM
yay

EmptyCrustacean
09-29-2015, 10:03 AM
I think most people believed, back when Ubisoft had balls, that the final game would have us play as Desmond in the modern world.

JamesFaith007
09-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Not interested.

For me MD was always just add-on to history - sometimes interesting and sometimes quite boring.

Sorrosyss
09-29-2015, 01:05 PM
I'd fully support this, and a game set in the future. I will always argue that it is fundamental to the series, and I firmly believe that there was a plan at some point to conclude Desmond's cycle with a modern day only game.

If you look at the series, every single game in fact, when you are in the historical aspect you are still accessing the Animus or Helix within the modern day. Technically the historical part of the game is running off of Abstergo's servers, with any and all events potentially having been manipulated by them - as they have been proven to do so.

Whenever we are in the modern day setting, we are driving the story. The historical portions only follow on from what Abstergo seeks within their research. Thus in the grand scheme, I feel a modern day game can only really be the culmination of the Juno plotline.

I am in agreement with the OP on the rope launcher and the traffic systems. I just can't seem them dropping them from the 2016 title - as you saw with Naval, they like to retain fully developed features like these.

Will the 2016 game tie in to the movie some way? Who knows, but we know there is a modern day component to the movie, so it is not beyond the imagination that there may be something more substantial next year on the modern day front.

I know a lot of people only enjoy the historical tourism, but in my opinion there is a lot of apathy towards the modern day sections of the past as for the most part we were standing around talking - literally listening in Unity's case. If the modern day was fully developed with the full narrative focus, and all of the modern day features, it could definitely work. They proved they could do modern aspects within Watch Dogs, so I see no barrier to it. If they were to do the opposite to the norm, say making the game 90% in the modern day, but occasionally jumping in the Animus for short sections of historical significance, I feel it could play out well. Especially if you visit the same place in multiple time periods. Before the series ends, which I hope it does not, I'd love to see such a game.

Senningiri_GR
09-29-2015, 06:45 PM
The Present day game is a very good idea I would like to see, but not the game entirely modern (like 60% Animus-Helix, 40% Present). They could of course recycle older setting like Paris and London as they are not very different today that back then.
But I do not see this coming anytime soon (I mean 2016-2020), but it could probably be one of the last games perhaps...

Also, Ubisoft likes to recycle animations and locations a lot (Monteriggioni of Assassin's Creed 2 in 2012 of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Masyaf of Assassin's Creed in Assassin's Creed Revelations, New York City of Assassin's Creed 3 in Assassin's Creed Rogue) (Also unknown to many; Constantinople of Assassin's Creed in Assassin's Creed Revelations) :p

Rugterwyper32
09-29-2015, 07:53 PM
A loud resounding nay from me. I've always seen Modern Day as no more than a pretty clever framing device, with this idea of an overreaching story that has frankly hurt my enjoyment more than helped it. I was kinda drawn into it for a time by the hype from AC3, and then AC4 had something that I actually found interesting mostly because of how ridiculously meta is was and because of all the "corporate espionage" aspect rather than because of the story it had going. And anyway, it managed to neatly resolve itself within that one game.

Frankly, I don't need an overreaching story the way this series does it because it's frankly more of an excuse to go into the memories of whoever you play as over anything else. Even if it was better told, I'm just not interested in that part, if I want the modern day conspiracies I can go find that in many other places. I've been here for the historical tourism from the start, and that's the reason I stick around. If a series came out that did what AC does with historical settings, but better, then you can count on my jumping ship if needed. Was there a modern day only game, you can count on me skipping that altogether, I'll be around doing silly stuff in a modern city with Saints Row 2.

x___Luffy___x
09-29-2015, 08:21 PM
History and historical locations are one of the major assets of AC series. A full modern day AC game will prolly be the end of AC for me.

Assassin_M
09-29-2015, 08:51 PM
If that happens, i'll just play Just Cause. or GTA. or Watch Dogs. or Sleeping Dogs.

Alphacos007
09-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Eh, I'd really like it, that is honestly one of my dream AC "locations", but I can't see how to make a proper AC modern day game now that Watch Dogs is out. That was the perfect oportunity for a modern AC game. Maybe a Watch Dogs 2 could link with the AC universe or something. It would be really interesting.

LoyalACFan
09-29-2015, 10:20 PM
I voted no, but I wouldn't be opposed to a game sharing roughly equal screen time between a modern and historical protagonist in the same location. To ensure that the devs wouldn't have to essentially create two entirely different maps, the time difference couldn't be too extreme, like maybe two centuries max, and it would have to be set somewhere other than the US (we Americans love demolishing stuff for no reason only to immediately build something back in its place). I always liked the concept of literally following in your ancestor's footsteps presented by AC Brotherhood, and I wish we could get more of that. But that's ONLY if they get their heads out of their butts with this Juno thing and reboot the modern day.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-29-2015, 11:50 PM
Not a lot of people are fond of modern day being part of the game anyway so I don't think that would be something to pursue by itself.

Eziodagreat
09-30-2015, 02:23 AM
I would thoroughly enjoy a modern day centered game. My hope is that the franchise will end in the next 3-5 years, because these annual releases don't add enough substance. But I do think this series can go out with a bang.

My theory/hope for an amazing ending to the story would be a modern protagonist, whose main goal is stopping Juno. Throughout the game, you will enter the Animus to play one or two missions from each Assassin we have played in the past, Altair all the way up to Jacob, Evie, and whoever comes next year. Each assassin will provide the protagonist directly with knowledge about how to stop Juno. Which is entirely possible, Ezio spoke to Desmond in Revelations, whose to say that directly after that, he also spoke to a protagonist that we don't know about yet? (Galina?)

So each assassin would be fully aware of their role in saving the future, and we wouldn't have to pretend that each story is self-contained. (Saving Arno for having no role)

This would be reusing assets, which they are fond of, and don't even have to include the entire city/cities, just a small part in order to complete one specific goal. How f****** epic would that be if each assassin was included a little bit in the final game? The nostalgia for the long-time fans, and good storytelling for new ones. I know it's a long shot, but I still have faith they can make this game great, by ending it.

Assassin_M
09-30-2015, 02:41 AM
My hope is that the franchise will end in the next 3-5 years
Oh my god, WHY?! WHY?! -_-

Eziodagreat
09-30-2015, 04:37 AM
Oh my god, WHY?! WHY?! -_-

I don't think it will, but I hope it does. I'm just one of those homer's that like AC because of the MD implications and storyline, and I hate watching something I once loved turn into a money-making-only objective.

I-Like-Pie45
09-30-2015, 05:13 AM
i think a modern day ac's gameplay would be a revolution simulator revolving around the setting up of revolutionary acts upon abstergo facilities and public events sponsored by abstergo with the goal of eliminating as many abstergo sympathizers as possible

Assassin_M
09-30-2015, 05:21 AM
I don't think it will, but I hope it does. I'm just one of those homer's that like AC because of the MD implications and storyline, and I hate watching something I once loved turn into a money-making-only objective.
Then drop it. Stop playing it. I mean, I love modern day implications too, but I don't want the series to stop. There's like.....tons of historical periods to visit.

Eziodagreat
09-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Then drop it. Stop playing it.

I have been on the verge ever since AC3, but somehow they keep dragging me back in..

I mean, I love modern day implications too, but I don't want the series to stop. There's like.....tons of historical periods to visit.

Well, you see that's the problem. There are indeed many historical periods to visit, actually way too many. And Ubisoft wants to do dozens more I'm sure. But I think they would have much more freedom if exploring the past didn't have to tie in with the Assassin v Templar conflict. The whole point of this ongoing fight is so that the person viewing these memories through the animus can do something about it in modern times. And that hasn't happened in the past 3 major title games.

I just feel like it would make more sense if they ended the "Assassin's Creed" story line and continued to make make historical games, based on a different ideology, with a new plot, and remove all modern day implications whatsoever. I would still enjoy that game.

Senningiri_GR
09-30-2015, 03:07 PM
I think that if they ever do one game in the Present it should be for an end of the series (or the circle as we also had Desmond in Assassin's Creed 3). I don not consider a good idea to play in USA cities or other places seen in other games, but more unique ( like Italy, Spain, England or Russia and even North Norway at the Assassin base up there)