PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate on Steam, Season Pass from Uplay?

giblin
09-28-2015, 11:16 AM
What does it happen if I buy the standard edition on steam, and then buy the season pass on uplay?

I see from uplay that games from steam are always considered "installed" even if not, but that's not the point actually. Considering past purchases of AC franchise from steam, game and bonuses had to be activated through uplay with its code anyway, so, buying base game from steam and season pass from uplay should work, or?

I mean: saves and synch info in AC initiates (or in general in my uplay account) are always the same...

strigoi1958
09-28-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure... I think Steam blocks DLC from anywhere else (I may be wrong) but I always buy from Uplay because it stops problems and we get rewards.... and I DO love rewards :D

Anykeyer
09-28-2015, 02:31 PM
If DLC requires ANY extra files it wont work as all downloads will be handled by Steam.

Bahjabroni
09-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Quick answer: It won't work.

- If you buy the pass from uPlay but own the Steam version of the base game, it doesnt matter that the game requires uPlay. They're incompatible.
- If you buy the game from Steam, you will NEED the Season Pass purchased from Steam. If you buy the game from uPlay, you will need the pass purchased from uPlay.

The reason for this is mentioned above by "Anykeyer". The Steam version is downloaded and stored by Steam regardless of uPlay being required for authentication/multiplayer. If you own the Steam version, Steam handles everything in respect to files (downloading, storage etc). If you own the uPlay version, uPlay does that same work.

The season pass is currently not purchasable separately on Steam and wont be made available until release as they're trying to get people to buy the "Gold" edition until then. I'm not sure if the same is on uPlay. Its not cross compatible. Everything has to be on one service.

Personally, I'm getting the uPlay version. Its obtainable on other retailers (cheaper) and I have no qualms using uPlay. I dont need every game on Steam. The Steam version of the majority of Ubisoft games since uPlay has come into play are only available on Steam so that creates a premium pricing situation for the Steam versions.

Going4Quests
09-29-2015, 10:48 AM

- If you buy the pass from uPlay but own the Steam version of the base game, it doesnt matter that the game requires uPlay. They're incompatible.
- If you buy the game from Steam, you will NEED the Season Pass purchased from Steam. If you buy the game from uPlay, you will need the pass purchased from uPlay.

The reason for this is mentioned above by "Anykeyer". The Steam version is downloaded and stored by Steam regardless of uPlay being required for authentication/multiplayer. If you own the Steam version, Steam handles everything in respect to files (downloading, storage etc). If you own the uPlay version, uPlay does that same work.

The season pass is currently not purchasable separately on Steam and wont be made available until release as they're trying to get people to buy the "Gold" edition until then. I'm not sure if the same is on uPlay. Its not cross compatible. Everything has to be on one service.

Personally, I'm getting the uPlay version. Its obtainable on other retailers (cheaper) and I have no qualms using uPlay. I dont need every game on Steam. The Steam version of the majority of Ubisoft games since uPlay has come into play are only available on Steam so that creates a premium pricing situation for the Steam versions.

You can still "play" on Steam, go to the installation folder where the non-steam AC game is installed, add it's launcher as a non-steam game, change the name to, for example "Assassin's Creed Unity" and you can launch through Steam and have the overlay and everything? You can even broadcast through Steam. :P

I had to do that for Unity since I got that for free with my GTX 970, first it worked awkard and lowered my fps, but since September's Uplay update it works very great! :D

PS: I'm getting the Gold edition on October/November on Steam. :)

giblin
09-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Thank you! I was just curious.
Main reason is that from retailer I actually found separate cheaper versions in preorder.
The main reasons why I actually bought ACs on steam so far is that after less than half a year I find it on sale and by that time is usually properly optimized. Taking screenshots from uplay I always get the the overlayed banner "you took a screenshot" from uplay in the final image (... really?). Last, except for brotherhood and the copernicus missions for ps3, all exclusive contet for playstation where available on steam too (AC3 - Benedict arnold, AC4 - Aveline mission). Until now steam didn't updated the AC:Syn page about preorder rewards and season pass, so I'm still hoping for the penny dreadfull missions :D

Thank you anyway!

strigoi1958
09-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Strange I've posted loads of screenshots and I admit I often forget to turn the HUD off but I never get a banner about uplay screenshots ? are you talking about PC screenshots or PS3/ PS4 ?
I know if you take a screenshot it says screenshot captured and if you quickly take 2 screenshots the second one will capture that message but just wait a second...

Here are a few I took (just click the link to see the pictures, from there you can see full original size as well... and see just how beautiful Unity is...:D

http://pho.to/9ion0

giblin
09-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Strange I've posted loads of screenshots and I admit I often forget to turn the HUD off but I never get a banner about uplay screenshots ? are you talking about PC screenshots or PS3/ PS4 ?
I know if you take a screenshot it says screenshot captured and if you quickly take 2 screenshots the second one will capture that message but just wait a second...

Here are a few I took (just click the link to see the pictures, from there you can see full original size as well... and see just how beautiful Unity is...:D

http://pho.to/9ion0

I have to admit it has been quite a while since I last took screen from uplay, like for sure 2-3 years :rolleyes:
I'll give a try again.

Unity really IS beautiful (I play on a gtx 970), I only wish the story and side quest and music were more involving than the poor diversity I found. AC4 was far more than that, even rogue :/

YazX_
10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
If DLC requires ANY extra files it wont work as all downloads will be handled by Steam.
^ This

meaning, yes you will be marked as owner of seasonpass/ DLC BUT UPlay will not download the content because base game is on steam and steam will not download it because it has not been activated there (non steam key).