PDA

View Full Version : Official AC Syndicate "Going Dark" Thread

SixKeys
09-27-2015, 10:22 AM
AC Syndicate is less than a month away from release. Tons of gameplay and spoilerific info is currently being released through previews. So, when are you planning to go dark (if at all)?

I'll be going dark very soon. The less I know about the plot, the better, and I've already seen a few too many spoilers for my liking. I will have to wait until November 19th to play anyway since I'm on PC.

Shahkulu101
09-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I try to go dark all the time, but it's a bit like a heroin addict going cold turkey.

Eventually I just break down the door. Then when it finally releases I decide not to go on the forums while I play it, which never materializes and I get massive spoilers about the games' plot.

I have no willpower.

Pandassin
09-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm going a bit dark right now. There's too much stuff going on that I want to surprise me in the actual game.

I'll probably be going fully dark very soon.

ModernWaffle
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Probably won't be going dark, as a whole this community is pretty considerate of hiding spoilers and hence most of the time I only find out about them by intentional clicking the spoiler tags.

But I will stay away from AC related videos on Youtube - not only are the comments section a massive danger for spoilers but also video titles, was in the middle of AC3 and went to a walkthrough for help, then on the related videos I accidently saw a list of everyone who dies in the game :p

VestigialLlama4
09-27-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't see the point of going dark when all this stuff is sanctioned previews.

I don't think Syndicate is a game with spoilers as such. It's what-you-see-what-you-get.

SixKeys
09-27-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't see the point of going dark when all this stuff is sanctioned previews.

I don't think Syndicate is a game with spoilers as such. It's what-you-see-what-you-get.

I still count them as spoilers even if they're officially sanctioned, if they reveal key points about the characters and plot. For example I would prefer we wouldn't have found out so soon who the Templar grandmaster was in AC4 but they revealed that well in advance in a demo. Now I'm seeing stuff floating around about modern day and villains in Syndicate and I'd rather discover all that for myself.

Farlander1991
09-27-2015, 11:52 AM
For example I would prefer we wouldn't have found out so soon who the Templar grandmaster was in AC4 but they revealed that well in advance in a demo.

While I understand that this was technically a spoiler, that is revealed like in the first hour of ACIV proper. And ACIV marketing didn't reveal Roberts or Mary Read, both of which have a much bigger bearing on the plot than Torres. I'm sure by this point Ubisoft marketing knows how to keep secrets and surprises while at the same time providing enough information.

Alphacos007
09-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Meh, I think this will be a great game but I'm not hyped at all. I'll be here untill the release date, don't really care about spoilers anymore.

Locopells
09-27-2015, 12:32 PM
As with last year, I gotta watch you guys now, so no going dark for me!

Sorrosyss
09-27-2015, 12:33 PM
I was thinking a week before release, just as early adopters get their copies. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in myself, as I've tried to avoid major story spoilers - yet I keep clicking stuff. -.-

I feel I'm going to have to go dark forcibly as my willpower isn't up to temptation it seems.

*sobs and eats a bar of chocolate*

Locopells
09-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Well, I could always lock you out for a month :cool:!

Sorrosyss
09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Well, I could always lock you out for a month :cool:!

lol, I'd just view as a guest. Beyond help. :p

dimbismp
09-27-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm sure by this point Ubisoft marketing knows how to keep secrets and surprises while at the same time providing enough information.
Well,that didn't happen with ACU (IMO).The trailers showed/implied:
-The Templar revolt
-Nearly all the Napoleon amd De Sade lines.
-The only twist in the game:the bellec plot

The only thing that they didn't reveal was the identity of the Grand Master

EmptyCrustacean
09-27-2015, 12:56 PM
I always go dark whilst playing the game but this year I'll go dark at least 2 weeks before as well as Ubisoft seem to be distributing an unusual amount of info in comparison to other years.

VestigialLlama4
09-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Well,that didn't happen with ACU (IMO).The trailers showed/implied:
-The Templar revolt
-Nearly all the Napoleon amd De Sade lines.
-The only twist in the game:the bellec plot

The only thing that they didn't reveal was the identity of the Grand Master

And that guy was a jeweller nobody cared about as opposed to Black Bart, the most succesful pirate of that generation. It's like saying the Butler's fat cousin is the mastermind. Ubisoft's marketing is very good at keeping secrets, but they can't do much when a game like Unity has no secrets to hide.

Of course Black Flag had an advantage, in that it was making a new plot, introducing a new concept (Sage) which was not there earlier. When Unity came, we could broadly guess say, "So-and-so is the Sage" "This-and-That-Is-A-Templar" and the minute you knew Arno and Elise were Assassin-Templar couple there were a certain bunch of ways the plot could go that was easily guessable.

There's still stuff we don't know in Syndicate. The Templars being unleashed on full display makes sense because most of them are fictional characters and none of them have a personal connection to the hero. Haytham and Connor was a shock at the time because that hadn't been done before and rarely in games. So there was a reason to hide Haytham.

As for what surprises might be left in the game, well:
- There will be a divide or issue between Jacob and Evie. The siblings are pretty catty and b-tchy to each other, surprising since I expected the whole twin complete-each-other's-sentences thing, they made them too different in my view, when twins should be similar to each other. But you know the minute you have two protagonists who are playable, it is almost expected that at some point there will be conflict or a kind of mirror-boss between them.
- The Shroud of Eden is featured and we know that the Shroud can drive people crazy and bring back the dead. So you don't have an object like that without someone dying to be brought back to life.
- We know a Jack the Ripper DLC is in the offing and we don't know who's the protagonist for that. So there is an overall suspense on the entire story.

The main surprise you can say is that Ubisoft are selling this as a light-uplifting upbeat story but the music we are hearing has some dark moods so maybe the game will be darker than expected. Ubisoft's marketing in Black Flag promoted Edward as this DTF macho pig of a Pirate but in the game he keeps pining for the wife he cheats on with long letters, so there was more to him than the promotion hinted.

GunnerGalactico
09-27-2015, 02:07 PM
I've already been going dark since the last month. I just don't want the key parts of the plot to be revealed too early. Having said that, I regret watching the AGB mission with Evie. It would've been a pleasant surprise to play it for myself when I have the game.

VoXngola
09-27-2015, 02:44 PM
I'll go dark shortly before the console release as I'm on PC. I really don't know if I'll even be able to hide from spoilers an entire month.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
I'll probably go dark in a couple weeks but will still be kinda active on Tumblr/Twitter, doing my best to avoid spoilers.

I've avoided them before so hopefully that can happen again lol

bitebug2003
09-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Same as Locopells

I've had games ruined for me but I guess it's part of the package.

SofaJockey
09-27-2015, 04:08 PM
When am I going dark?

Right now - I just changed my bookmark for this site to this thread, which should be a safe place to come (famous last words).

Ubisoft are now showing more of the game than they should because they want to shift people from the standards of Unity.
Spoilers are just going to have to be a casualty I suspect.

They don't have the benefit of being able to say pretty much nothing (as e.g. Bethesda).

Xstantin
09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
I'll still watch the previews if there's new info about the map or customization.

I'll probably have the game spoiled for me anyway by the time I get to the middle of the story cause I usually take my time running around the map first while most people can finish them over the weekend (going by earlier games)

bitebug2003
09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
When am I going dark?

Right now - I just changed my bookmark for this site to this thread, which should be a safe place to come (famous last words).

Ubisoft are now showing more of the game than they should because they want to shift people from the standards of Unity.
Spoilers are just going to have to be a casualty I suspect.

They don't have the benefit of being able to say pretty much nothing (as e.g. Bethesda).

Ubisoft have always gone to huge lengths to market their games.

Nothing new with Syndicate.

Jessigirl2013
09-27-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm already avoiding potential story spoilers ... but I keep getting sucked in by news of MD story.

But alas the biggest spoiler for me I discovered that the MD is like Unity...... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SixKeys
09-27-2015, 07:59 PM
While I understand that this was technically a spoiler, that is revealed like in the first hour of ACIV proper. And ACIV marketing didn't reveal Roberts or Mary Read, both of which have a much bigger bearing on the plot than Torres. I'm sure by this point Ubisoft marketing knows how to keep secrets and surprises while at the same time providing enough information.

Clay's reveal in Revelations would have been best left to the game itself, considering he was one of the big reasons people wanted to buy the next game after ACB. Yet they showed his entire introduction with Desmond months before release. Same with Alta´r's first scene. And then there's Unity's time rifts.

Farlander1991
09-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Clay's reveal in Revelations would have been best left to the game itself, considering he was one of the big reasons people wanted to buy the next game after ACB. Yet they showed his entire introduction with Desmond months before release. Same with Alta´r's first scene. And then there's Unity's time rifts.

I'll agree about Unity time rifts, though to be honest I think that was a respond to the time rift leaks that were going around all over the place and whenever Ubi deleted them new ones popped out (they started circulating about two months before announced officially), so a lot of people knew about it already so Ubisoft probably said 'well ****, let's make a trailer and announce it officially then'. Pretty much the same situation as with leaked screens when Unity wasn't supposed to be announced. It doesn't feel like it was part of the plan, considering that until that point they were very, very quiet about it.

Regarding Clay, as previously said, I understand that it's technically a spoiler, but it's the very first scene of the game. And same for Altair, really, like Altair being back was a big point for ACR, and the whole marketing revolved around that first scene/mission. And in the game itself that mission in terms of events is only loosely tied to others, exists just for re-introduction of Abbas and a little bit of character for Altair. Those are hardly spoilers. I mean, to me that's the same as saying that they shouldn't have shown Ezio's parents getting killed. Like, yeah, it's kinda a spoiler, but really, does it matter that much that it was shown? Not really.

If you want to go clean into a game then don't watch marketing material at all. Ubi tries sometimes to show stuff on E3 and such that's created specifically for E3 so technically wouldn't spoil anything (or changed specifically for E3), but then people complain that it's not like that in the game.

strigoi1958
09-27-2015, 09:06 PM
To be honest... I'll just stick to the PC section, starting a few days before the console version is released but over the years I've found everyone to be very considerate with spoiler warnings and hidden remarks so that threads can start and questions asked.... and the rare 1 that didn't ... the mods were extremely quick to censor :D

HDinHB
09-27-2015, 09:24 PM
There seems to be more of the fan-demo-gameplay videos this year than I remember. There are a couple of threads I've stopped looking in on already, but I'll probably still check out stuff that comes from Ubisoft proper.

As with last year, I gotta watch you guys now, so no going dark for me!

Same as Locopells

I've had games ruined for me but I guess it's part of the package.

We work in the dark to serve the light.

SixKeys
09-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Regarding Clay, as previously said, I understand that it's technically a spoiler, but it's the very first scene of the game.

Haytham's introduction was the first (historical) scene in AC3 yet they didn't feel the need to spoil that. :p

The ACR stuff matters because it was such a short game overall, they practically revealed half of the story through demos and trailer before the game was even out. Ezio's family being killed was known from the very beginning (AC2 was promoted as being a personal vengeance story), but after ACB we didn't know if we were really going to meet Subject 16 and in what form. All he said was "find me in the darkness" which could have meant anything. Then well before release we find out he's just some ordinary guy who's not acting crazy or mysterious at all. Oh. Well, that's anti-climactic.

Farlander1991
09-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Haytham's introduction was the first (historical) scene in AC3 yet they didn't feel the need to spoil that.

Well, they did announce a book about Haytham Kenway and released one screenshot with him before release :rolleyes: But Haytham is a different case because nobody expected to start the game as him, everybody expected to start as Connor. Did somebody not expect to see Subject 16 in the Animus? No :p Anyway, personally, I don't feel like them showing Subject 16 has ruined anything for me.

The ACR stuff matters because it was such a short game overall, they practically revealed half of the story through demos and trailer before the game was even out.

That's an exaggeration I think. Heck, if anything, ACR marketing painted Leandros as the main antagonist of the game and there was actually very little known of the actual main chunks of the plot other than 'Ezio searches for a bunch of artifacts left by Altair'.

SixKeys
09-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Did somebody not expect to see Subject 16 in the Animus? No :p

I didn't. Or at least I expected them to keep it vague.

That's an exaggeration I think. Heck, if anything, ACR marketing painted Leandros as the main antagonist of the game and there was actually very little known of the actual main chunks of the plot other than 'Ezio searches for a bunch of artifacts left by Altair'.

They showed the entire Leandros assassination mission at E3, the introduction of Suleiman, several clips of Sofia, one or two of Clay, the Forum of the Ox, the entire Greek Fire mission and the entire Alta´r mission where he saves Al Mualim. That's quite a lot for such a short game.

Farlander1991
09-28-2015, 12:42 AM
They showed the entire Leandros assassination mission at E3

Huh? The E3 demo was the Greek Fire mission. I don't remember Leandros assassination shown anywhere.

Anyway, I would argue that it's still... not really spoilery. I mean, a tomb mission where we get one of Altair keys which is the whole premise of the game? That's not a spoiler. Several clips of Sofia and one or two of Clay, okay.

Did they show Clay sacrificing himself for Desmond? (which is like the only thing that happens there outside of those two guys talking)
Did they show Abbas kicking Altair out of the Order, Maria's death, Altair getting back and killing Abbas?
Did they show the conspiracy of Tarik and the mistake that Ezio has made?
Did they show the plot to kill Suleiman and that the person behind it was Ahmet?
Did they show Sofia getting in danger because of Ezio and Yusuf dying because of his promise to protect her?
Did they show Manuel Paleologos as the presumably Grand Master?
Did they show what's behind the closed door, and Ezio retiring and talking to Desmond?
And there's more questions like that, and the answer to all those questions is no, and that's the plot of the game and it couldn't be deduced by the marketing we had.

I mean, stuff that we got was introductory stuff. Here's Sofia, she's potential love interest. Here's Subject 16, there's going to be something with him in the game. Here's a tomb, there's going to be a bunch of these as Ezio tries to find Altair's keys. Here's Altair's first mission which is reintroduction of the character and to show that he's in the game. The only non-introductory stuff that we got was the Greek Fire mission, and there was no context to it at all and nowhere to place it (when I saw it I thought the ship was headed to Masyaf, I thought it would be the ending of Sequence 1 or smth). And here's a bunch of cool trailer shots without context (and some with changed models, like when Ahmet was changed to a normal byzantine soldier), good luck figuring that out. You say that half the plot was revealed, I don't see it, I see like 10 percent at the very maximum, and I've followed ACR marketing campaign very closely ever since its announcement at E3 (though I guess I somehow missed Leandros' assassination, lol).

For Syndicate we now know which target dies at what sequence (I've posted this in preview thread based on the Seq3 and Seq7 preview videos we have, and the story trailer), now that's... that's some spoilers revealed beforehand :p (although, they weren't exactly 'revealed', more like 'deduced' and 'noticed', all those videos are not official Ubisoft videos and while they are sanctioned by Ubi I'm sure they'd like if some things were kept under wrap). But you know, even with that information, what the heck is the plot of the game? Not sure. There's Piece of Eden and freeing London and Templars and apparently some conspiracy and stuff. Not really helpful.

SixKeys
09-28-2015, 02:14 AM
Huh? The E3 demo was the Greek Fire mission. I don't remember Leandros assassination shown anywhere.

My bad, it was Gamescom.

Well, either way I prefer to keep most of the game a surprise. :)

VestigialLlama4
09-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Not sure. There's Piece of Eden and freeing London and Templars and apparently some conspiracy and stuff. Not really helpful.

And that stuff we could guess beforehand anyway. We don't know what the overall plot is, whether its one piece of eden or several, how the Royal Family fits in, how Karl Marx fits in, how the Sage fits in and who is Jack the Ripper? I'd say we've seen at best 5% of the game in previews.

The thing is to provide enough stuff, non-essential and then reveal everything else. I think of Arkham City, a game which showed a lot of stuff in previews, including two major boss fights and several villains and the final game contained a huge number of surprises anyway, stuff nobody guessed and it had a shocking ending. As did Arkham Knight although there they did actively conceal information.

For AC, the perfect example is AC3, everyone went in cold, we didn't know the Templars, we didn't know anything, if we did know the plot twist at the start wouldn't work. If we knew Charles Lee was the Templar going in we'd know that Haytham is one too. And while there were some leaks before release, most people went in cold. Black Flag showed a lot more, told us who the Templar Grandmaster was and nearly all of the pirates, they even showed us James Kidd and revealed that he was an Assassin (but concealed that she was Mary Reade) even Edward's wife Caroline, and the final game contained surprises aplenty.

kosmoscreed
09-28-2015, 09:30 AM
I 'm already avoiding as much as I can, I barely watched any of the previews but I got spoiled a little anyway. You have to move to the mountains to avoid everything, lol

cawatrooper9
09-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Whoa, I feel like I've hardly been here at all this year. I've pretty much been dark the whole time :P
I guess that's good though, since I'm not nearly as overhyped as I was for Unity!

Frank9182011
09-28-2015, 03:16 PM
I need to go on media blackout for this game but desperately need to know if ambient music is truly back or not. I know there is hours of footage out there from gamers who went to the preview event, but I don't want to spoil anything by watching it. Can anyone who has seen the footage tell me if they FINALLY brought ambient music back?

Locopells
09-28-2015, 03:41 PM
I haven't confirmed this with anyone, but it looks/sounds like they have - there's several videos of free roam with music playing in the background.

EmptyCrustacean
09-28-2015, 04:25 PM
I need to go on media blackout for this game but desperately need to know if ambient music is truly back or not. I know there is hours of footage out there from gamers who went to the preview event, but I don't want to spoil anything by watching it. Can anyone who has seen the footage tell me if they FINALLY brought ambient music back?

Only on the rooftops durin free roam and during missions. But if on the ground during free roam no, there isn't.

Frank9182011
09-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Only on the rooftops durin free roam and during missions. But if on the ground during free roam no, there isn't.

This is an interesting clarification. Do you mind if I ask for your source? I've seen several comments indicating that previewers have noticed a substantial amount of ambient music. I've also seen one or two commenters indicating that there was none. Just trying to sort out what's what.

Farlander1991
09-28-2015, 07:21 PM
My bad, it was Gamescom.

Well, either way I prefer to keep most of the game a surprise. :)

Well, uhm... don't watch marketing material then? :D

EmptyCrustacean
09-28-2015, 07:56 PM
This is an interesting clarification. Do you mind if I ask for your source? I've seen several comments indicating that previewers have noticed a substantial amount of ambient music. I've also seen one or two commenters indicating that there was none. Just trying to sort out what's what.

The conflicting information is coming from those that scaled the rooftops and those that didn't.

I can't remember where I read it. I think it may have been in a Ubisoft Q&A. I'm sure those more resourceful than I can pull up the source.

Plus...

...I've seen the gameplay videos lol. I know, I have no self control. So yes, indeed, the videos confirm it to be correct. The ambient music is back but only for rooftops. It's very violin/cello heavy but gorgeous all the same. Yhe main theme for Evie and Jacob has grown on me mainly because the composer incorporates it into virtually every time the two are on screen. So you have nothing to worry about. :)

Mr_Shade
09-29-2015, 01:21 PM
[covers eyes]

Hans684
09-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Seeing as the MD is like Unity I'm going to look at all story material that pops up, as far as the ending if needed. If reliving Evie and Jacob's life accomplishes something being their time, then great. If not, then future games is less interesting already.

Jessigirl2013
09-29-2015, 07:40 PM
The conflicting information is coming from those that scaled the rooftops and those that didn't.

I can't remember where I read it. I think it may have been in a Ubisoft Q&A. I'm sure those more resourceful than I can pull up the source.

Plus...

...I've seen the gameplay videos lol. I know, I have no self control. So yes, indeed, the videos confirm it to be correct. The ambient music is back but only for rooftops. It's very violin/cello heavy but gorgeous all the same. Yhe main theme for Evie and Jacob has grown on me mainly because the composer incorporates it into virtually every time the two are on screen. So you have nothing to worry about. :)

I hope the transition of the music isn't jarring and arkward.
Lol, I bet ill avoid going on the streets at all to keep the nice music. :rolleyes:

Seeing as the MD is like Unity I'm going to look at all story material that pops up, as far as the ending if needed. If reliving Evie and Jacob's life accomplishes something being their time, then great. If not, then future games is less interesting already.

Yeah... Then again Unitys MD was boring.