PDA

View Full Version : I need help understanding computers

Piaggio108
03-10-2004, 04:58 PM
I should probibly know this, but how does ram work and how much is needed? Also, what does a graphics card/sound card do? How can I find out what I have on my computer?

Piaggio108
03-10-2004, 04:58 PM
I should probibly know this, but how does ram work and how much is needed? Also, what does a graphics card/sound card do? How can I find out what I have on my computer?

Frsotfang
03-10-2004, 05:17 PM
RAM is the memory your computer uses to store everyday tasks like playing a game or opening a window in your internet browser. Games and computer graphics related things are usually the biggest hogs of RAM. The more you have the better up to apoint since some programs will really never use 2GB of RAM (that I know of) But 512mb is quickly becoming the standard for any gameplaying and 1GB is recomended. There are different types of RAM such as SDRAM and DDRRAM. DDRRAM is the type you will want if your motherboard supports it. There are different speeds of RAM too. Too much to go into here you will want to talk face-to-face with someone about all teh details. The Graphics card handles all graphics related processing such as 3d models and textures, particle systems etc. It's very important to have a powerful Graphics card if you play modern PC games(also known as Video card or GPU) Sound card handles sound related processing. Some have atmospheric features like EAX that enhance the experiance of a game.
To find out your comp specs go to Start\Control Panel\System - there is listed the basics of the comp. Video card - Right click on the desktop\select properties in the pop up window\select settings\under "Display" it says your card type as recognized by your computer.

Chuck_Older
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
RAM allows your PC to work at it's optimal rate, essentially. The more the better. A fast CPU with a small amount of RAM has a 'bottleneck' effect that makes the PC seem slower than it really is. I'm sure someone can fill you in on the technical aspects.

A graphics card is typically a 3D accelerator today. It is a dedicated piece of hardware with it;s own memory cache and chipset. The long and short of it is that it allows you to see what you're seeing as well as you see it. Windows can run without a video card. But you want one, and they are in virtually any PC around. Sound cards are very similar.

To find out what you have, you'll have to tell us what OS (operating system http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) you have. Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows Xp, whatever.

In general, it is viewed through device manager, but there are different ways to get to device manager depending on which OS.

On Xp: go to your Start menu (lower left hand corner)
click on settings
click on control panel
double click the system icon
select hardware
under device manager, click 'device manager'

there will be a 'tree' with little boxes next to icons, and a plus or minus symbol. This is essentially an index. A plus means you can further branch the 'tree'. You want to find the 'display adapters' branch. Click the plus sign to the right of the icon for 'display adapters'

The branch will point to your display adapter. Click the minus symbol next to 'diplay adapters to close the branch

Do the same thing for sound, it should be under something like 'sound and game controllers' (sound cards used to be the game ports, too. I suppose some still are)

Uusally on your PC you can find something under the start menu, under programs, then under accesories, like ' system tools', and there will be an option to analyze the PC and it will give you a list of components installed. I can't tell you what that might be under on your PC, I have no idea what it might be.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash