PDA

View Full Version : Should Naval Return At Some Point?

Shahkulu101
09-26-2015, 11:36 AM
We all love naval.

Well, at least most of us - and so did the critics. It was the redeeming quality of AC3 and Black Flag was lauded for it's refined mechanics and expansive open-world ocean exploration. It was seen as a refresher for the series, which had in some way stagnated in terms of new, game-changing ideas. But with two naval games in a row, Unity returned to the ways of classic AC. Which was to be expected, we can't have naval every year, but some were quite disappointed that it went back to being the vanilla Assassin's Creed game they had already gotten tired of. Which brings up an interesting point, I mean in a way naval was just a distraction from the poor and aging core mechanics of the series. AC4 was still fun, and the Assassin gameplay at the time was the best, but series old problems remained. Perhaps it would be better of the series to refine the core mechanics before delving back into what some may consider superfluous additions. In some way I see that as the best course of action, with the main pillars of the series being as bad as they are perhaps attention needs to be focused on them, on the other hand naval was AC doing what it does best - using history as it's playground to create entertaining and interesting gameplay. I don't think AC fundamentally needs to have 3 main mechanics and only 3 - at it's core AC is as much about stabbing and sneaking as it is exploring unique time periods to their fullest potential and if that includes so-called non-assassin-y mechanics so be it.

So what's your opinion: more naval in future or have we had our fair share? In my view, we've had enough of naval for now, and in the next few titles I think it's important they refine the 3 pillars - and maybe bring naval back in a new way some time in the future. Returning to the 18th century and using the same naval mechanics again would feel like treading old ground. I'm sure you will all have better ideas than me, so feel free to make suggestions. In a skype chat forum member Alphacos suggested Roman longships. So more ideas along those lines would be cool.

Let me know your thoughts.

Locopells
09-26-2015, 11:44 AM
I'd say yes, but not as the main gameplay focus. For example, say you were to explore Elizabethan England, you'd want to do Spanish Armada missions, maybe a bit of free roam in the English Channel, that sorta thing.

Alphacos007
09-26-2015, 11:45 AM
As already mentioned, I think it should return one day, as most people love it, but not so soon, and definitely not the same as it was in AC3/4. But if they ever happen to maek games in ancient times again, it would be really nice to see the Roman longships or maybe Viking Warships, or anything like that.

Going4Quests
09-26-2015, 12:53 PM
We have the system, so if it can be put as side content without losing main focus on the game: YES! :D

Locopells
09-26-2015, 01:07 PM
That said, I'm still waiting for them to team up with Disney and make a full blown PotC game...

pacmanate
09-26-2015, 01:15 PM
It will return, just probably not in AC.

Naval is a big thing Ubisoft have that people actually loved. They could do great things with it.

harsab
09-26-2015, 01:16 PM
If it was to return that experience would have to be completely different to BF + Rogue. It was fun at first but got boring sooooooo quick. I hated it after a while & Rogue just made me hate it even more.

So yeah i don't mind it returning as long as they make it super interesting.

Btw something tells me that Ashraf & Darby will start a new Naval IP maybe next year?

Reason being is because Darby had tweeted a picture last year of 2 books that he was using for research on a new game he was working on, the books were about Pirate history if i clearly remember.
Also Ashraf has said he's been working on unannounced IP for a few years now but no one has any idea what it is.

This is my theory anyway could be completely wrong.

VestigialLlama4
09-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Which brings up an interesting point, I mean in a way naval was just a distraction from the poor and aging core mechanics of the series. AC4 was still fun, and the Assassin gameplay at the time was the best, but series old problems remained. Perhaps it would be better of the series to refine the core mechanics before delving back into what some may consider superfluous additions.

I am not sure, the AC core pillars are Parkour/Climbing/Social Stealth and also combat. I was comfortable with the mechanics, I just felt that they needed to have more creative mission design. Yeah the combat could use tougher enemies, and smarter AI and the terrain could be improved and modified, as they were in later games, but I don't think there needs to be a great deal of tweaking there. I certainly don't think there's like a need for a crouch button or any other such stupidities. I don't think it was so dire and so weak, that it's apparently some crisis issue.

It's more important to have better missions, more interesting challenges, like say a Hard Mode or New Game Plus. That I think should be where it goes.

So what's your opinion: more naval in future or have we had our fair share? In my view, we've had enough of naval for now, and in the next few titles I think it's important they refine the 3 pillars - and maybe bring naval back in a new way some time in the future. Returning to the 18th century and using the same naval mechanics again would feel like treading old ground. I'm sure you will all have better ideas than me, so feel free to make suggestions. In a skype chat forum member Alphacos suggested Roman longships. So more ideas along those lines would be cool.

Let me know your thoughts.

I have a feeling that Ubisoft is making a New Naval Only IP for Next-Gen. And I think that's what they should focus on.

The kind of naval gameplay in AC3 and Black Flag is specific to a certain period in history. Roman Era or Viking Era won't give you battles on the same line, there won't really be canons, you might have catapults and ballistas I guess, and you will have arrows, but that's not really the same thing. You also won't have sea shanties either. If you go to a later area you will have Battleships/Submarines and Aircraft Carriers, not as intense and in-your-face.

The main thing is that there are tons of different gameplay they could tackle. You know, why not return to the rural setting of AC3, make the weather more of a factor, like say managing heat, rain and other extremities, bring in woodcutting and try and expand mountain climbing. If you are going to make a game set in Ancient Egypt where the Heat and Sand is just aesthetic and not really a factor that characters have to tackle, then I don't know why make the game then. In Rogue, you have this paltry imaginging of an earthquake that's just sad, imagine if they resolved to try and put more effort into it.

I mean AC3 had this amazing recreation of Battlefields and part of the game is essentially a decent re-imagining of 18th Century warfare. It's sad that they didn't build on that for Unity since that was the era of military innovation. But obviously that would have taken effort for an early game in Next-Gen. Right now Syndicate is patting itself on its back for pretending that carriages are a new thing when they have had it since AC2, only less realistic because horses can knock over lamp-posts and stuff for some reason.

There's basically a lot for AC to do, they haven't even tackled say, 5% of their potential.

Pandassin
09-26-2015, 01:53 PM
That said, I'm still waiting them to team up with Disney and make a full blown PotC game...

I'm so in on this.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-26-2015, 01:56 PM
I loved naval too and wouldnt mind if it made a comeback.

But of course, it shouldnt be forced so it's not a huge loss.

dxsxhxcx
09-26-2015, 02:37 PM
I'd say yes, but not as the main gameplay focus.

This. What they need to do is create a new IP based on that mechanic...

Sorrosyss
09-26-2015, 03:44 PM
No from me. Yay, no soul. :p

I enjoyed the freedom and being able to travel the seas, but I really did not enjoy the combat mechanics with the ridiculous camera angles. Ugh. It was one of the few things I applauded Unity on for removing it completely.

That being said, I wouldn't mind it for the odd mission, or perhaps smaller boats on rivers. But the combat stuff. Ugh.

Given what the surveys asked us of late, it does seem pretty obvious that Ubi have removed the naval to put into a new Pirate series. Good luck with it, but I daresay I won't be playing it. :p

Pandassin
09-26-2015, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind a small return to naval, but certainly not to the extent we've had it in previous games.

I loved naval in AC3/4, however by time Freedom Cry and Rogue were released I was pretty worn out. I love sailing around, I'm just sick of upgrading ships all the time.

Maybe something minor, like in AC3 where sailing was just for a few missions. Or even bring back something like the gondola from AC2. Just nothing too big.

If naval is to return, I'd like it to be in a new IP, preferably a pirate game with a lot of customisation (such as name of ship, colour of the hull, type of ship etc. as well as actual pirate gear customisation too).

Shahkulu101
09-26-2015, 04:16 PM
No from me. Yay, no soul. :p

I enjoyed the freedom and being able to travel the seas, but I really did not enjoy the combat mechanics with the ridiculous camera angles. Ugh. It was one of the few things I applauded Unity on for removing it completely.

That being said, I wouldn't mind it for the odd mission, or perhaps smaller boats on rivers. But the combat stuff. Ugh.

Given what the surveys asked us of late, it does seem pretty obvious that Ubi have removed the naval to put into a new Pirate series. Good luck with it, but I daresay I won't be playing it. :p

Well, you're certainly in the minority if you didn't like the ship combat. :p

You soulless heathen

Hans684
09-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Vikings.

HDinHB
09-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Well, you're certainly in the minority if you didn't like the ship combat. :p

You soulless heathen

Can we make her walk the plank?

PotC, Horatio Hornblower, Master & Commander...you're missing out on a fortune Ubi.

Sorrosyss
09-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Can we make her walk the plank?

Only if I can Leap of Faith off the end to my watery demise. :p

m4r-k7
09-26-2015, 09:39 PM
I'd say yes, but not as the main gameplay focus. For example, say you were to explore Elizabethan England, you'd want to do Spanish Armada missions, maybe a bit of free roam in the English Channel, that sorta thing.

This x10000000000

This is another reason why I wanted them to do Elizabethan England more than Victorian England.

I-Like-Pie45
09-26-2015, 10:28 PM
acww2 pearl harbor sinking simulator

kosmoscreed
09-27-2015, 05:34 AM
No, first because the development team will be forced to pick places where naval gameplay makes sense and that is like putting a limiter on them and second because we had enough. But I think Ubi should make a game around it, maybe a new franchise or a competitive online game if they can figure how to do it.