PDA

View Full Version : Jammed Flaps (goes well with toast)

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:35 AM
One thing that kind of bugs me is the one-way street with jammed flaps.

Pretty easy for them to lock up on you if you drop combat flaps to pull out of a dive in a hurry, or really any time you have them down but need to make a sudden manuver that picks up speed (split-s or reverse chandelle comes to mind...).

Not that having flaps jam is bad. I just wish there was a POSSIBILITY that some of the time they might *un*jam if you drop down to safe speeds and fiddle with them. Jams couldn't have *always* been irreversible.

Just an idea.

Stenciled on the side of my Dora:

"Lasst das H√¬∂llentor √¬∂ffen, es friert hier oben!"
("Leave the gates to Hell open, it's FREEZING up here!")

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:35 AM
One thing that kind of bugs me is the one-way street with jammed flaps.

Pretty easy for them to lock up on you if you drop combat flaps to pull out of a dive in a hurry, or really any time you have them down but need to make a sudden manuver that picks up speed (split-s or reverse chandelle comes to mind...).

Not that having flaps jam is bad. I just wish there was a POSSIBILITY that some of the time they might *un*jam if you drop down to safe speeds and fiddle with them. Jams couldn't have *always* been irreversible.

Just an idea.

Stenciled on the side of my Dora:

"Lasst das H√¬∂llentor √¬∂ffen, es friert hier oben!"
("Leave the gates to Hell open, it's FREEZING up here!")

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Getting a jam means you're pushing the plane's function over what you're supposed to do.

If you're in a dangerous dive at low alt, and figure you'd need to engage flaps no matter what the cost, that's good decision. But unfortunately, it is also a price you must pay since you managed your flight badly in the first place.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. There is no system in the world that can possibly 'model' an element of 'chance'. Since that is so, we have no choice but to not do what the manufacturers recommended not to do. Because frankly, the only objective way of modelling in a structural limit in a game, is to just set a limit.

Continuously calcualting for a certain 'chance' leads to extreme inconsistencies. Take the DM for example: the more complex they are, the more inconsistencies, and as a result, more complaints.

Abiding by the set limit seems to be the only logical thing to do. I guess we'll have to live with it. In the end, the limited speed on the flaps in the game, are already a lot higher than factory suggested levels.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:51 AM
Jamming flaps in a certain position can actually be very beneficial./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately, jammed flaps usually means you've bent something by overstress. You've gotta do what you've gotta do to save your airplane, but jammed flaps are usually going to require replaced parts and structural repair back at the base. Anybody seen my rivet gun?