PDA

View Full Version : The value of mission feedback

SofaJockey
09-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Since Black Flag, the Assassin's Creed games have offered players the chance to give mission feedback: * - *****

Did you leave feedback?
And do you expect to see such feedback in respect of which missions were most enjoyed / disliked will find its way into ACS?

Personally I rated missions only occasionally, usually when it was either particularly good, or it sucked particularly badly.

ze_topazio
09-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Too much trouble, when playing the game for the first time after finishing a mission I want to move on to the next one, not stop to ponder how much starts I should give that mission.

Doesn't help that I'm a very indecisive person that can take hours, days, months to come to a final decision and even after that I still have doubts.

bitebug2003
09-23-2015, 01:02 PM
It breaks immersion.

We're not playing a survey

VestigialLlama4
09-23-2015, 01:05 PM
I don't think it's especially useful.

Ideally you have playtesters for these kind of things and they give all the feedback a developer will need. Players giving star ratings is not useful, it tells you they liked the mission but not what they liked or disliked about it. Feedback is better via interaction, via empirical exchanges. What is useful are those feedback forms Ubisoft give out every year after a release, which kind of asks more in-depth questions.

ze_topazio
09-23-2015, 01:30 PM
Is not as detailed as proper feedback but gives developers a general idea if gamers liked the mission or not.

Playtesters have the job of ripping things apart, is their "duty" to analyze things in detail, and survey answers are just a sample, common gamers don't think too much on the reasons why they like something or not, so this rating system is also useful.

strigoi1958
09-23-2015, 05:28 PM
I always give feedback... it only takes a few seconds and although it is not an in depth survey, I think it help to see what types of missions are liked. I guess Ubi can analyze reactions to all the different missions, side quests and styles of play.

We often would like some interaction with the devs and Ubi have given it to us, so we should take advantage of it.

However I would like to add I really enjoy reading through all the posts on this forum, I'm often amazed by how much people know and how many good ideas pop up and I often think a (limited time) single thread from the devs asking what we think and like and would like to see... would produce at least 1 or 2 great ideas and lots of possibilities (along with some strange ideas and off topic bickering lol ;)) but I cannot see that happening because I assume the game after Syndicate and the game after that are already in progress and couldn't be changed... but a Hi and a quick reply to a few posts would be really nice for the guys here who put in some great threads, debates and posts.

VestigialLlama4
09-23-2015, 05:33 PM
I always give feedback... it only takes a few seconds and although it is not an in depth survey, I think it help to see what types of missions are liked. I guess Ubi can analyze reactions to all the different missions, side quests and styles of play.

We often would like some interaction with the devs and Ubi have given it to us, so we should take advantage of it.

However I would like to add I really enjoy reading through all the posts on this forum, I'm often amazed by how much people know and how many good ideas pop up and I often think a (limited time) single thread from the devs asking what we think and like and would like to see... would produce at least 1 or 2 great ideas and lots of possibilities (along with some strange ideas and off topic bickering lol ;)) but I cannot see that happening because I assume the game after Syndicate and the game after that are already in progress and couldn't be changed... but a Hi and a quick reply to a few posts would be really nice for the guys here who put in some great threads, debates and posts.

Well if there's anyone's feedback Ubisoft should listen to here, it's yours.

A lot of people, myself included, are probably too soured and bitter to still remember why we even like these games for Ubisoft to bother with.

strigoi1958
09-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Actually you are one of my favourite posters... any bitterness anyone has comes only from the desire for AC to be at the high standards that we would like it to be seen and played by others, I too want AC to be played and enjoyed by everyone. I can honestly say that the historical and geographical knowledge and ideas you and others have on this forum combined with the passion for story, missions and gameplay.... makes this forum a wealth of ideas. Some definitely deserve more than the little acknowledgement that we other forum member give.

TBH I know that there are points raised here that get taken by the moderators and forwarded... although we don't see it, it does happen... but all the major contributors here on the forum who invest so much time and effort would appreciate a time limited thread with a Dev.
I know Devs are busy and A thread on the forum would take time to answer but a 24 hour posting time then close the thread and re-open it a week later for replies would perhaps help take away that sour feeling.

Farlander1991
09-23-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm sure it's useful for them.

Here's the thing, this is, essentially, quick feedback in stats. So they know (or at least should know) how many people voted, how many people did not vote, when they voted, when they started to vote, when they stopped voting, etc. and etc. and etc. Analysts can make very good use of that information to see the general consensus or where there's trouble or where there's a lot of praise, and then based on what the voting was related to make decisions. There's some conjectures that have to be made of course, as we have only stars, but it's conjectures that make sense, that have some basis for them, especially if you look at everything and compare and see what's done where, etc.

And here's the thing, this system was expanded to from AC4 where it was only main missions to ACU where it was for every mission. This wouldn't have happened if it wasn't very useful info for AC4 main missions.

And, you know, there's 10 million players buying these games. There will be enough people voting.

And it's information that you can't really get with playtests. The pool of people with playtests is too small. What can be a consistent response in a huge pool of player may look like an anomaly, for example.

BananaBlighter
09-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Next thing you know, we'll be having ratings for each collectible, coz y'know, Ubi can't make the decision to tone it down without statistical evidence.

But in all seriousness though, I do feel that they are useful, even though I have never rated a mission, ever. You can't tell what people enjoy just from those that voice their opinions on the forums, so something quick and easy in game, while maybe immersion breaking, is the best way to get an overview.

Sorrosyss
09-23-2015, 07:24 PM
I always gave feedback. For the record, I rated every single naval mission as 1 star - as I was never a fan of its inclusion in the series.

And now its gone! Oh, you're welcome naval fans. :p

BananaBlighter
09-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Don't you think somebody's more likely to rate the mission if they're overly disappointed rather than overly happy, meaning that the results will appear worse than they are, because only people with strong feelings will take the decision to vote?

SofaJockey
09-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Don't you think somebody's more likely to rate the mission if they're overly disappointed rather than overly happy, meaning that the results will appear worse than they are, because only people with strong feelings will take the decision to vote?

Yes, that's logical, though I would hope Ubi has someone versed in survey analytics to take that into account.
I too would prefer not to have the feature expand.

'How much did you enjoy opening that chest? * - ***** ?' :nonchalance:

Farlander1991
09-23-2015, 09:16 PM

If that happens then that's still useful feedback.

Sushiglutton
09-23-2015, 09:56 PM
I dunno, doesn't bother me too much. Think it's very hard to use the data anyway. I remember Ubi being very proud about the detailed playthrough reports they could get for AC3. Yet it had the most abysmal mission design ever. Think AC relies too much on this sort of stuff instead of talented designers.

HDinHB
09-24-2015, 04:43 AM
And, you know, there's 10 million players buying these games. There will be enough people voting.

That's why I always vote, to counteract the millions of wackos that are voting.

SixKeys
09-24-2015, 08:19 AM
I only used it a few times in AC4. It's immersion-breaking and too much trouble in a 20-hours-or-more game. It's also fairly useless as we can't give feedback on exactly why we liked or disliked a mission. Some people might downvote a tailing mission because they hate the gameplay, others might upvote that mission because they liked the atmosphere. A good example of this is the Siege of Charlestown in AC4. Opinions were pretty divided on that mission, but we couldn't elaborate why, so I'm assuming Ubi got a lot of mixed feedback there.

Also, I can imagine a ratings system gets abused if people are unhappy with the overall product. I've seen many people who were disappointed with Unity say they downvoted every single mission just out of spite.

Xangr8
09-24-2015, 08:27 AM
I always gave the feedback. I knew I loved the mission or disgusted it the second I finished it. And I think that they probably tweaked the mission design in Unity a bit to remove the tailing aspect and make it a bit better because I think, seeing the feedback, tailing missions were the most hated mission type (and probably and most abundant) in ACIV.
I generally rated a 4-5 star if it gave me that lovely feeling inside. And a 1-2 star if it was a chore to complete. Like, it took me a whole night to complete the mission Hoarders in AC Unity and I was so damn angry at this mission. Probably the worst mission in the entire AC series. And I usually give a 3 star when the mission is nothing special but still enjoyable.
I think it's great on Ubi's part doing this kind of stuff. Promoting interaction between the community and the devs. Actually, Ubisoft is one of the, if not the most fan-focused gaming company I've seen in a while.