PDA

View Full Version : Lame external engine sounds in 1.22

VF-2_John_Banks
02-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Folks!

Am i the only one who noticed, that planes like the P-47 have a terrible external engine sound in 1.22? I used to love the Jugs engine in 1.0, where in idle speed, it almost had the sound of the original plane, you could really tell, that it was an air cooled radial engine. But now in 1.22, all planes sound terrible at idle, no matter what kinda engine they have. I hope Oleg brings us some better sound in the AEP, or we have to thumble around with all the previous sound files again.

VF-2_John_Banks
02-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Folks!

Am i the only one who noticed, that planes like the P-47 have a terrible external engine sound in 1.22? I used to love the Jugs engine in 1.0, where in idle speed, it almost had the sound of the original plane, you could really tell, that it was an air cooled radial engine. But now in 1.22, all planes sound terrible at idle, no matter what kinda engine they have. I hope Oleg brings us some better sound in the AEP, or we have to thumble around with all the previous sound files again.

VVS-Manuc
02-29-2004, 05:58 AM
ALL engine sounds of all FB-Planes are crap. Listen to the YAK-1 lawnmoyer sound when flying at full power http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Bull_Pup
02-29-2004, 07:57 AM
I dont know how to say this without being harsh, But sound is the black eye of FB.

I have an audigy 2 ZS. With FB unpatched I can run 32 channels, 48khz sounds, surround, full 3d engine complexity, etc.

With 1.22 patch I no longer have the 48khz option, 44khz is max.

Ive tried Creative's and the KX Project drivers. When I run 32 channels I lose in game voice communications from the AI. I have to go into the sound menu and change to 16 channels, then return to the mission to regain comms. I can then go back into sound setup and change back to 32 channels and finish the mission with everything working well.

VW-IceFire
02-29-2004, 07:57 AM
I like them...they seem pretty good. Not amazing but good and the dynamic changes are excellently done.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

ZG77_Lignite
02-29-2004, 09:05 AM
I believe Oleg has said that the FB engine is limited with its internal and external sounds, it can not model both to the same fidelity, only one or the other.

There have been many 100's of posts lobbying Oleg to make the internal sounds more realistic (and I agree with them), specifically the removal of 'sound radar' from in-cockpit. I believe Oleg has attempted to do this (yet another community requested feature put into FB) in the latest patch.

If you remember, one of the beta patches featured a pair of .sfs files, showing us the difference in internal and external sounds. No doubt some would prefer better external sounds, obviously some like the better internal sounds, and certainly we all make Oleg pull his hair out, poor guy.

VW-IceFire
02-29-2004, 10:45 AM
I figured everyone was fairly happy with the quality of the sounds as this point. Its not perfect...I expect more from the next game but the in-cockpit sounds are great, the sonar is supposedly gone (I never had it - although some anomalies have disappeared too), and I love doing the plane flyby view as the sound pans around my room. Thats awesome...I care less that the merlin doesn't sound exactly like what its supposed to.

Go play Aces of the Pacific and find out that all aircraft have the same sound http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

VVS-Manuc
02-29-2004, 01:37 PM
For me internal sounds are far more important than external sounds..but they are also very weak and disappointing.

Fennec_P
02-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Also guns. I can understand that sitting behind a gun, you might not hear the "bang" and it would be a tame mechanical sound, but if you are in front of the gun it would be nice to hear gun-like concussive sounds.

The MG17, MK108 and MK103 are the only guns that actually have any bang. Everything else just sounds like clicking or scraping mechanism (typewriter).

Gato-Loco
02-29-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't think sound is bad at all. In particular, because I never flew a WWII plane and have no idea how it is supposed to sound!

VF-2_John_Banks
03-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Yep, the guns sound like paint ball guns from toys'r'us. I have firstclass gun sound in RedBaron3D and that game was built ages ago. Even EAW had better external sounds and better weapons sounds as well. I guess that the "limited engine of FB" is just a lame excuse. A game, which is suppossed to be state of the art on the one hand and which can't match the sound of games, which were built almost a decade ago on the other hand, is simply bad and lazy programming. If i had to build all the planes for FB, i wouldn't have time for a good sound either. They made some bad decisions when they set their priorities.

I am very pleased with the new lack of a radar sound though. The incockpit sound is much better now, but let's wait and see how the sound engine has been porked in the AEP.