PDA

View Full Version : What happens to our Russian Planes in the future?

von_Albert
03-04-2004, 07:13 AM
As we all know, Battle of Britain is currently in development. The Ace expansion back is out (in USA at least) and there are aparently future plans for a Pacific add on and down the the road plans for some kind of medeterranian theatre as well.

I'm assuming BoB is going to be a seperate game that will have a significant number of improvements, etc. However, the plane set will, understandably, be reduced to aircraft that fought over England in 1940 up to maybe sometime in 1941. Sadly that means that the existing plane set will likely no longer be used. All the hard work and research that has gone into developing all the russian aircraft, and late war German planes will then become irrelevant. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong!

The coolest thing about FB is that we got all the planes from IL2 along with some new aircraft and it all came with the updated game features, flight model improvements, etc. It seems to me that many game companies develop sequals and then abandon previous titles forcing them to reinvent the wheel every few years. How many times have we all repeated the Normandy Invasion as a result?

For example, Combat Mission from battlefront has consistantly improved with each release, but if you want to go back an refight the battles in France or Russia you have to do so with out-dated game engines.

I hope Oleg figures out a way to continue to develop the sim without throwing out all of the past hard work and research. I think it has been a dream for many people to re-fight all of WWII, whether it be flight sims, ground war, or whatever, but we always get offered small tastes with promises of more to come that usually result in support being dropped for "older products". Essentially, I hope that I'm always able to fly a Yak9, LaGG 3, or 109G-14 with the latest and greatest flight model. I understand that sometimes things have to be dropped for the sake of progress, but does it have to be that we have to keep reinventing the wheel every time a new game engine gets developed?

[This message was edited by von_Albert on Thu March 04 2004 at 09:41 AM.]

von_Albert
03-04-2004, 07:13 AM
As we all know, Battle of Britain is currently in development. The Ace expansion back is out (in USA at least) and there are aparently future plans for a Pacific add on and down the the road plans for some kind of medeterranian theatre as well.

I'm assuming BoB is going to be a seperate game that will have a significant number of improvements, etc. However, the plane set will, understandably, be reduced to aircraft that fought over England in 1940 up to maybe sometime in 1941. Sadly that means that the existing plane set will likely no longer be used. All the hard work and research that has gone into developing all the russian aircraft, and late war German planes will then become irrelevant. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong!

The coolest thing about FB is that we got all the planes from IL2 along with some new aircraft and it all came with the updated game features, flight model improvements, etc. It seems to me that many game companies develop sequals and then abandon previous titles forcing them to reinvent the wheel every few years. How many times have we all repeated the Normandy Invasion as a result?

For example, Combat Mission from battlefront has consistantly improved with each release, but if you want to go back an refight the battles in France or Russia you have to do so with out-dated game engines.

I hope Oleg figures out a way to continue to develop the sim without throwing out all of the past hard work and research. I think it has been a dream for many people to re-fight all of WWII, whether it be flight sims, ground war, or whatever, but we always get offered small tastes with promises of more to come that usually result in support being dropped for "older products". Essentially, I hope that I'm always able to fly a Yak9, LaGG 3, or 109G-14 with the latest and greatest flight model. I understand that sometimes things have to be dropped for the sake of progress, but does it have to be that we have to keep reinventing the wheel every time a new game engine gets developed?

[This message was edited by von_Albert on Thu March 04 2004 at 09:41 AM.]

wideblade
03-04-2004, 07:55 AM
I enjoy the russian front and the planes involved,specially those more strange and rare.I have the same question{should be a pain to leave apart those wonderfull models}