PDA

View Full Version : No Asian setting in AC till sales drop?

ModernWaffle
09-21-2015, 08:17 PM
So some of the most demanded locations for an AC game by fans are places in Asia including Japan, China and Egypt among others. Seeing as Syndicate will be Ubisoft's 9th main instalment for AC, it seems a bit odd to me that they've ignored many potential eastern settings for the series when they are extremely popular.

My question would be do you think this is an intentional move by Ubisoft? I get the vibe that they will continue doing western locations / Europe until sales fall by a significant proportion (e.g. maybe the game after Syndicate) and once this happens, they'll bring out a new game set in Asia to revive interest in the series again - might also tag this with a return of naval stuff, but on next-gen AC which will be very interesting IMO if they took this route. It's a massive leap, but there's such prospects of profits for Ubisoft if they went this direction that I would be surprised if they end up never doing a full-fledged AC in an Asian setting.

Of course I could be wrong given that until Ubisoft stops its annual production cycle, I can't see them pulling off an Asian setting well given that they won't be able to copy as many assets from previous AC games set in western locations. There's also the fact that Chronicles China and India have kind of downplayed the impacts of each respective settings should they ever reach a proper AC game. Also, there is the idea that Japan, China etc. are locations that have been explored in other games and that AC innovates by going to countries which aren't normally explored in great depth.

What do you guys think? Am I just making random speculations or do you think we will see a revamp of the series by going to Asia when AC starts to lose significant sales?

Pandassin
09-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Well Japan is actually very likely to be the next setting. Someone found very convincing proof showing how the next game will be set in Japan (sorry I can't remember who it was).

BananaBlighter
09-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Well Japan is actually very likely to be the next setting. Someone found very convincing proof showing how the next game will be set in Japan (sorry I can't remember who it was).

IT'S A SIGN! They're expecting Syndicate to have terrible sales, so it must be awful.

VoXngola
09-21-2015, 08:46 PM
IT'S A SIGN! They're expecting Syndicate to have terrible sales, so it must be awful.
Suddenly, everything makes sense now. :eek:

No but seriously, that's what many have been thinking and I think it's true. It's Ubisoft's trump card.

cawatrooper9
09-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Also, there is the idea that Japan, China etc. are locations that have been explored in other games and that AC innovates by going to countries which aren't normally explored in great depth.

I always thought that was such a silly excuse for them. Victorian London is a common setting in games. So is the pirate era.

ACIV is my favorite game in the series, and Syndicate is actually shaping up to seem rather solid, too. It's not that I think they're bad games because they're in a more common setting- it's just that Ubisoft's excuse simply holds no water.

VestigialLlama4
09-21-2015, 09:09 PM
So some of the most demanded locations for an AC game by fans are places in Asia including Japan, China and Egypt among others. Seeing as Syndicate will be Ubisoft's 9th main instalment for AC, it seems a bit odd to me that they've ignored many potential eastern settings for the series when they are extremely popular.

Ubisoft have already made a game set in Asia. It's called Assassin's Creed 1. The Middle East/Levant is part of Asia you know and Altair is ethnically Arab.Revelations which has Istanbul is well, part of it is European and part of it is Asia. So they've already gone to Asia, they started there and then proceeded to Europe before going to the New World.

As for whether the setting is "popular", well I don't know if it is. There aren't many good games set in Ancient Egypt, i.e. the real Egypt not some Pyramid/Sand level cheesy crap. Besides, which period can they take for China or Japan or Egypt or even India. They are really old places with huge histories and a lot of options, which would be the best time with the most interesting architecture and figures available to explore? And what kind of gameplay will it be, big cities with tall buildings or rural-urban areas with tiny settlements and huts (aka AC3 style)? These are the main questions developers think about before doing the period and setting.

My question would be do you think this is an intentional move by Ubisoft?

I don't know how it cannot be "intentional".

Am I just making random speculations or do you think we will see a revamp of the series by going to Asia when AC starts to lose significant sales?

I think if sales start to fall, they'll stop making AC altogether, or do say a remake/reboot than take a risk to the unknown. Right now, because of Next-Gen, Ubisoft are focused on one city urban gameplay because they still aren't wholly sure about the technology. The first games of the console cycle tend to be conservative. In a couple of years, Ubisoft might return to the rural gameplay they pioneered with AC3 and Black Flag and update that to Next-Gen.

ModernWaffle
09-21-2015, 11:36 PM

It was this stuff wasn't it: http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/28/japan-is-location-for-assassins-creed-2016-hints-art-book-5039197/

Kind of convincing, but I'm still finding it a bit hard to believe that Ubisoft would provide any hint whatsoever of so many future settings at once, particularly during a time as early as Black Flag and before they knew Unity would face a poor launch.

I always thought that was such a silly excuse for them. Victorian London is a common setting in games. So is the pirate era.

ACIV is my favorite game in the series, and Syndicate is actually shaping up to seem rather solid, too. It's not that I think they're bad games because they're in a more common setting- it's just that Ubisoft's excuse simply holds no water.

Yeah I completely agree with you. I still really like the more common/western settings, but it is a sorry excuse to use since an AC game say in Japan would offer something vastly different in terms of to what's already out there because the core gameplay mechanics of AC is quite unique for its genre.

Ubisoft have already made a game set in Asia. It's called Assassin's Creed 1

Not going to lie, I felt pretty stupid for completely ignoring the previous games ;) I guess what I meant to say was the 'Asian settings that has been demanded so often by the masses' - on that point though, were the settings in AC1 and Revelations popular with fans?

As for whether the setting is "popular", well I don't know if it is. There aren't many good games set in Ancient Egypt, i.e. the real Egypt not some Pyramid/Sand level cheesy crap. Besides, which period can they take for China or Japan or Egypt or even India. They are really old places with huge histories and a lot of options, which would be the best time with the most interesting architecture and figures available to explore? And what kind of gameplay will it be, big cities with tall buildings or rural-urban areas with tiny settlements and huts (aka AC3 style)? These are the main questions developers think about before doing the period and setting.

You bring up some good points - China/Japan/Egypt etc. may not actually be the best locations AC can go depending on how you look at it and choosing the right time periods for these locations is something they have to very carefully consider. I guess the problem is that making a game from these settings is a major risk and the final product may not actually be that popular with fans when so many expectations have to met.

I don't know how it cannot be "intentional".

Of course all their choices they make are 'intentional', but what I meant was that have Ubisoft deliberately avoided the above locations ready to use for a later revival of the series or do they just think that such locations wouldn't fit AC / would be too hard to make and hence will never make any games revolving around these places.

I think if sales start to fall, they'll stop making AC altogether, or do say a remake/reboot than take a risk to the unknown. Right now, because of Next-Gen, Ubisoft are focused on one city urban gameplay because they still aren't wholly sure about the technology. The first games of the console cycle tend to be conservative. In a couple of years, Ubisoft might return to the rural gameplay they pioneered with AC3 and Black Flag and update that to Next-Gen.

I would say the latter as AC is too big a series for them just to drop altogether - though maybe they will do this after their attempt of its revival. I think you're right, hopefully things will pick up soon enough as they grasp how to properly utilise next-gen technology, but they do have some pressure to do it soon as it's clear that fatigue for the AC series has taken shape whilst at the beginning things were still fresh and people were willing to wait longer for 'bigger leaps'.

ze_topazio
09-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Soon™

strigoi1958
09-22-2015, 02:33 AM
Although it is possible to set AC anywhere in the world... logically setting it in areas that were places Knights Templar were located would probably exclude Japan, china, Australia etc... it depends how believable they can make it.
When the Knights Templar dispersed they could have gone anywhere, but Japan with Assassins versus Ninjas is as logical as cowboys fighting zulu warriors. It may well happen but it will take a stretch of the imagination.

This probably makes the obvious locations where we've seen already plus anywhere touching the Mediterranean. There is also links to Knights across Europe such as the German Teutonic Knights so Europe would also be viable.

Given the alleged links between Knights Templar and freemasons and... freemasons to the founding fathers it made the Americas logical locations as well... hence AC 3 and 4.

I do not mind where it is set in the future even if it becomes (god forbid) Ninja assassins just to appease that percentage who want it..

And anyone who wants a break from the annual release cycle... just go play something else this year... that way, you're happy and all the rest of us who like playing AC every year are happy as well.

VestigialLlama4
09-22-2015, 04:34 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1003192-Mind-blown!-Ubisoft-gave-us-Unity-Victory-and-AC-VII-locations-back-in-2013!!-Forums

Here's the Ubisoft thread that made the discovery.

Consus_E
09-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Ah yes Asia... The continent composed of three countries China, Feudal Japan, and Ninjaz v Samuraiz. :rolleyes:
Source: approximately 1/3rd of the AC fandom

kosmoscreed
09-22-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't think Asia will be that appealing to the average joe to be honest.

VestigialLlama4
09-22-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't think Asia will be that appealing to the average joe to be honest.

Do average joes play video games? I mean its an expensive form of entertainment isn't it.

In terms of settings about the only ones that could appeal to the "average joe" might have been AC3 (because 'Murica) and Black Flag (because Pirates). All the others are kind of European and fancy (Italian Renaissance, Paris) or exotic (Levant, Istanbul). AC has always catered to a ''slightly" more sophisticated audience, the kind who are interested in geography, different cultures and the history of the world.

As far as the Average Joes of games go, their idea of games is GTA and RDR among open-world games that is, their secret preference is Call of Duty or Gears of War.

GunnerGalactico
09-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Few of the biggest reasons why most people hate the idea of having an AC game set in Japan is because of the whole "Ninjas vs Samurai" thing and that they have this clichéd view about the time period itself. Games like the: Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu, Onimusha and Samurai Warriors franchises are also the reason why people have a preconceived idea of what a Feudal AC game might be like. It is also heavily romanticized in Hollywood and Japanese anime/manga. Very few people out there know the Ninja and Samurai actually worked side by side together when facing a common enemy. :rolleyes:

I personally feel that Ubi can pull of an AC game in Feudal Japan if they keep away from cheesy clichés.

strigoi1958
09-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Ah yes Asia... The continent composed of three countries China, Feudal Japan, and Ninjaz v Samuraiz. :rolleyes:
Source: approximately 1/3rd of the AC fandom

so what you are saying is the majority of ac fans 2/3rds have not expressed an interest :D

As for average joes playing video games... I think I'm one :D I doubt anyone has a more average life than me and my 2.4 children ;)

I doubt all the combined AC forums entire contributors exceed 1% of the people who purchase AC games so I'm certain there are "average joes"

Senningiri_GR
09-22-2015, 02:48 PM

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1152899-Assassin’s-Creed-(Byzantine-Empire)-ERE-Forums
Well I have done so about Eastern Roman Empire...

JimmySaysUDie
09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Do average joes play video games? I mean its an expensive form of entertainment isn't it.

In terms of settings about the only ones that could appeal to the "average joe" might have been AC3 (because 'Murica) and Black Flag (because Pirates). All the others are kind of European and fancy (Italian Renaissance, Paris) or exotic (Levant, Istanbul). AC has always catered to a ''slightly" more sophisticated audience, the kind who are interested in geography, different cultures and the history of the world.

As far as the Average Joes of games go, their idea of games is GTA and RDR among open-world games that is, their secret preference is Call of Duty or Gears of War.

I'm sure all those 10 year olds who get the game for Xmas/their Bday really are into the vast geography and rich history of AC lol. Also, if you think Ubisoft's titles can hold a candle to Rockstar's you are dreaming. Just because you are a pompous *** doesn't mean everyone who plays the game is.

VestigialLlama4
09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm sure all those 10 year olds who get the game for Xmas/their Bday really are into the vast geography and rich history of AC lol.

I don't know if ten year olds play Assassin's Creed. It's rated M you know. They are obviously not the target audience.

Also, if you think Ubisoft's titles can hold a candle to Rockstar's you are dreaming. Just because you are a pompous *** doesn't mean everyone who plays the game is.

I am not being "pompous", I am just saying broadly in terms of surface details and content, I wasn't making a quality judgment. The fact is that Rockstar games are filled with a kind of lowbrow fratboy humor that kind of goes over a broad audience, it can be explained easily. "You're a criminal who can whack anyone anytime anywhere anyhow"/"You're a cowboy in the Wild West". Whereas AC is "It's history but it's not, it's stealth but it's not". It's not really a game that can be encapsulated in a few words and that is what I like about it.

Rockstar games are fairly sophisticated underneath all that, it's kind of like the Simpsons in the satire or at least it used to be back when it made San Andreas (which is one of my all time favorite games). Their recent games are technically good but not too interesting. I liked the Farm sections of Red Dead Redemption (MacFarlane and Marston Ranch) and Undead Nightmare (which is hilarious) but I don't care for the rest of the game which is a pile of Western cliches that even Old Hollywood made fun of back in the 40s.

I prefer AC over these recent games because it seemed to me more interesting to use an open world game to actually depict the past rather than do what Red Dead Redemption does, which is basically cobble together every kind of landscape from Western movies and depict cliches of cliches. Compare that to Black Flag, which is also a romantic stylized look at Pirate era (like RDR was of the Cowboy times) but is clearly a new kind of story and game, based on research into the real pirates rather than putting in cliches from Pirates of the Caribbean, or even AC3, where you show an even earlier period of American life, the Frontier, showing that the "Western" actually started on the East Coast itself, and it's part of a general overall story, rather than something special to one area and story.

It is true that Rockstar games have a bigger audience and cultural impact than anything by Ubisoft, I am not arguing that at all.

JamesFaith007
09-22-2015, 05:21 PM
I think that Eastern Asia setting is quite risky for them.

1) This region is mostly known through romanticized movies, manga and videogames, so lack of these cliches should be considered as negative by many player and their using would be problem for many other fans.

2) True history of China and Japan is widely unknown to outsiders and it should be hard to find out some worldwide famous person similar to da Vinci, Washington, Napoleon or Blackbeard, which would serve as connection between player and chosen historical era. It's quite different experience being da Vinci friend saving Medici family and being friend of guy with exotic name protecting emperor you never hear about before.

3) AC games were always about ninja-like character in places where you wouldn't expect such character. Assassin in Japan or China would lose much of his uniqueness.

I-Like-Pie45
09-22-2015, 05:31 PM
China 1850 - 1864

boom

or going even further

China 1899 - 1911

boom boom boom boom

BananaBlighter
09-22-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't know if ten year olds play Assassin's Creed. It's rated M you know. They are obviously not the target audience.

I am not being "pompous", I am just saying broadly in terms of surface details and content, I wasn't making a quality judgment. The fact is that Rockstar games are filled with a kind of lowbrow fratboy humor that kind of goes over a broad audience, it can be explained easily. "You're a criminal who can whack anyone anytime anywhere anyhow"/"You're a cowboy in the Wild West". Whereas AC is "It's history but it's not, it's stealth but it's not". It's not really a game that can be encapsulated in a few words and that is what I like about it.

Rockstar games are fairly sophisticated underneath all that, it's kind of like the Simpsons in the satire or at least it used to be back when it made San Andreas (which is one of my all time favorite games). Their recent games are technically good but not too interesting. I liked the Farm sections of Red Dead Redemption (MacFarlane and Marston Ranch) and Undead Nightmare (which is hilarious) but I don't care for the rest of the game which is a pile of Western cliches that even Old Hollywood made fun of back in the 40s.

I prefer AC over these recent games because it seemed to me more interesting to use an open world game to actually depict the past rather than do what Red Dead Redemption does, which is basically cobble together every kind of landscape from Western movies and depict cliches of cliches. Compare that to Black Flag, which is also a romantic stylized look at Pirate era (like RDR was of the Cowboy times) but is clearly a new kind of story and game, based on research into the real pirates rather than putting in cliches from Pirates of the Caribbean, or even AC3, where you show an even earlier period of American life, the Frontier, showing that the "Western" actually started on the East Coast itself, and it's part of a general overall story, rather than something special to one area and story.

It is true that Rockstar games have a bigger audience and cultural impact than anything by Ubisoft, I am not arguing that at all.

This.

My friend is always going on about game ratings, and saying, "Witcher 3 is the BEST open world game on next gen!".

But I just can't help thinking, "What do mean by 'BEST'?". I just replied, "I will always prefer AC because of what makes it special, not because some reviewer said it had loads of side missions,".

I'm not saying Witcher 3 is a bad game, but he's not gonna convince me to drop AC just coz ratings. I play AC for AC, not because some reviewer gave it a number that was nearly 10.

harsab
09-22-2015, 06:31 PM
This.

My friend is always going on about game ratings, and saying, "Witcher 3 is the BEST open world game on next gen!".

But I just can't help thinking, "What do mean by 'BEST'?". I just replied, "I will always prefer AC because of what makes it special, not because some reviewer said it had loads of side missions,".

I'm not saying Witcher 3 is a bad game, but he's not gonna convince me to drop AC just coz ratings. I play AC for AC, not because some reviewer gave it a number that was nearly 10.

101% agree, there are a lot of games better then AC, but i personally don't enjoy any of them as much i as enjoy AC.

AC is such a special game to me, i don't care about the rest.

Xangr8
09-22-2015, 06:33 PM
This.

This is so true :') AC is love, AC is life.

strigoi1958
09-22-2015, 08:33 PM
I like a lot of VestigialLlama4's posts he puts a great deal into them... often insightful.

But I do wish he'd put a smiley after remarks like "Do average joes play video games? I mean its an expensive form of entertainment isn't it." I know it is meant as a joke... but it would stop it being interpreted as if he was saying poor people cannot afford to play games.:(

I love AC games and I'm poor :p

VestigialLlama4
09-22-2015, 08:42 PM
I like a lot of VestigialLlama4's posts he puts a great deal into them... often insightful.

But I do wish he'd put a smiley after remarks like "Do average joes play video games? I mean its an expensive form of entertainment isn't it." I know it is meant as a joke... but it would stop it being interpreted as if he was saying poor people cannot afford to play games.:(

I love AC games and I'm poor :p

Okay I will be more sensitive in the future.

Consus_E
09-23-2015, 01:04 AM
so what you are saying is the majority of ac fans 2/3rds have not expressed an interest :D

No what I'm saying is a lot of fans who suggest Asian settings think that Asia looks like this:
http://itsallaboutculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/China_Japan_Political_Adv.png

When in fact Asia actually looks like this:
http://sandiegodiplomacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/south-and-central-asia-2.gif

People insist on looking at a small area of Asia when you have an entire continent full of different cultures, history, themes, characters stories, ect.
I'm much more interested in Assassin's Creed: Siam(Thailand), Assassin's Creed: Cambodia, Assassin's Creed: Indonesia, Assassin's Creed: Russia, Assassin's Creed: Vietnam, Assassin's Creed: Laos, Assassin's Creed: Burma, Assassin's Creed: India, Assassin's Creed: Persia, Assassin's Creed: Korea, Assassin's Creed: Philippines, ect,
than I am in Assassin's Creed Feudal JapanChina Ninjaz vs Samurai that people keep asking for. :p

strigoi1958
09-23-2015, 02:05 AM
Sorry for going OT

Okay I will be more sensitive in the future.
That's good because I always enjoy reading your posts.
@Consus_E Yes I couldn't agree more with you... I'm quite certain if anyone can make a great assassins game in the far east against Boxers in China or Samurai in Japan... Ubi definitely can... if they take us there I'll be happy to play it... but as you rightly point out that there are places in Asia that would IMHO be better settings with rich history, notable people and famous landmarks/ buildings.