PDA

View Full Version : Robban75 La7 vs. Dora Overheating. Your Results?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Robban75 in a tread I started recently, you said that the Dora overheated more quickly than a La7 in a climb.

We agreed to do some tests.

Here are my results:

I did my tests in quick mission builder, on the Smolensk map, starting at 1000m.

First comparison is between the La7 and the Fw190D 1944, with the radiator/cowl flaps closed (a change from the default closed/auto position on the Dora). The engines in both planes were set at full power (Forsazh on the La7 and Erhohte Notleistung on the Dora).

Plane Overheat(1) Damage(2) Inoperable(3)

La7 3:07min 5:15min 6:41min
Dora 2:19min 7:15min 8:33min

(1) When the engine overheat text appeared.
(2) The approximate time the engine began to show damage from overheating. I have used the change in engine note to determine this.
(3) This is when the engine failed completely.

As you can see the engine in the Dora does overheat more quickly, but is able to continue running at full power for significantly longer (when overheated) before it is damaged.

Second comparison is the same but with the radiator/cowl flap position set to fully open.

La7 3:00min 5:10min (See below)
Dora 3:55min 8:45min 10:08min

In this case the engine in the La7, overheats and is damaged before that in the Dora.
This test did produce an odd result on the La7. After the engine damage had already occurred, the overheat text disappeared (at 5:34min) and the plane was able to continue climbing all the way to 10,000m. The engine in this damaged state significantly slowed the climb rate of the La7, but it never failed completely during the climb. As the engine in the Dora was not damaged until sometime later, it was able to continue climbing at undiminished speed when the La7 could not.

So yes the Dora does overheat more quickly with the cowl/radiator flaps closed, but in just about every other respect its engine can run harder and longer.

What results did you get Robban75?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Robban75 in a tread I started recently, you said that the Dora overheated more quickly than a La7 in a climb.

We agreed to do some tests.

Here are my results:

I did my tests in quick mission builder, on the Smolensk map, starting at 1000m.

First comparison is between the La7 and the Fw190D 1944, with the radiator/cowl flaps closed (a change from the default closed/auto position on the Dora). The engines in both planes were set at full power (Forsazh on the La7 and Erhohte Notleistung on the Dora).

La7 3:07min 5:15min 6:41min
Dora 2:19min 7:15min 8:33min

(1) When the engine overheat text appeared.
(2) The approximate time the engine began to show damage from overheating. I have used the change in engine note to determine this.
(3) This is when the engine failed completely.

As you can see the engine in the Dora does overheat more quickly, but is able to continue running at full power for significantly longer (when overheated) before it is damaged.

Second comparison is the same but with the radiator/cowl flap position set to fully open.

La7 3:00min 5:10min (See below)
Dora 3:55min 8:45min 10:08min

In this case the engine in the La7, overheats and is damaged before that in the Dora.
This test did produce an odd result on the La7. After the engine damage had already occurred, the overheat text disappeared (at 5:34min) and the plane was able to continue climbing all the way to 10,000m. The engine in this damaged state significantly slowed the climb rate of the La7, but it never failed completely during the climb. As the engine in the Dora was not damaged until sometime later, it was able to continue climbing at undiminished speed when the La7 could not.

So yes the Dora does overheat more quickly with the cowl/radiator flaps closed, but in just about every other respect its engine can run harder and longer.

What results did you get Robban75?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 02:17 PM
What effect does opened/closed cooler flaps have on either Dora and La-7? Did you also had attetion to the drop of speed on both types?/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

"Kimura, tu as une t√¬™te carr√©e comme un sale boche!"

EJGr.Ost Kimura

http://www.jagdgruppe-ost.de/image/ejgrost.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 02:40 PM
uh interesting, but all in all i dont have overheating probs with these planes, (most likely because of the slow speed of the climb) if oyu want a very fast plane use the 190D-9 (preferibly the late) if you want a fast great climbing plane use the La-7

well my name was spelled wrong

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi WooHooToYou!

I did a quick test in QMB starting at 1000m with radiators closed. I used the 1945 D-9 with MW50 as the 44 version is overmodelled performance wise.

Here's my times. Min/secs

D-9 '45

Overheat/Damage/Inoperable

2:50/7:40/9:07

La-7

3:12/5:28/?

The engine lost power after 5:28 but I could maintain 390km/h forever. I ended the La-7 test after 20 minutes. It appeared to go on till it ran out of fuel. Although it wasn't in any ways combat capable the engine would take the plane and pilot home.

As far as topspeed goes, both fighters were very similar.

I'm gonna do some climb test later to see if there's any difference in overheat time between the planes./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://members.chello.se/unni/GK-2.JPG

'When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!'

Message Edited on 09/06/0303:01PM by robban75

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Here's the overheat climbtest.

D-9 '45

2:10/ 7:50/ 8:24

La-7

2:30/ 5:30/ 6:04

Although the D-9 recieves an overheat message earlier than the La-7, the superior engine of the D-9 shows it can handle cooling at higher altitudes. When the engine cut out on the D-9 I had reached over 8500m, whereas the La-7 lost its engine at around 6500m.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 04:31 PM
Robban, did you have CEM on for the tests? I'd be interested to know the mixture settings for the LA7 and the possible effects it contributed to the climb tests.

TX-Zen
Black 6
TX Squadron CO
http://www.txsquadron.com
clyndes@hotmail.com (IM only)

http://www.txsquadron.com/uploaded/tx-zen/Zensig2.jpg

Message Edited on 09/06/0310:32AM by TX-Zen

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 08:57 PM
My body is totally intoxicated with foreign fluids(absolute vodka,,swedish) right now, but i'm bumping this anyway!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Minors, stay away!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Message Edited on 09/06/0308:09PM by robban75

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 09:33 PM
This seems fairly reasonable to me. Most people who have any respect for their virtual *ss don't push those overheat times enough for those small differences to have any effect. Also, the longer you overheat the engine the longer it takes to cool off. So overheating it for any significant period of time is usually a bad idea.

When it comes to performance, the D9 late is marginally faster than the La-7 at most but not all altitudes. However the La-7 soundly out climbs it. The D9 late has a combat sustained climb rate of 22m/s while the La-7 does 30m/s. I don't try to outclimb the La-7's in anything, it doesn't work /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif . The Fw-190's as a whole have really only 2 advantages over the La's of the same year. Those advantages are superior high speed agility and maximum dive speed. The top speeds and top sustained speeds are usually very close at most altitudes. The La's hold the advantage in medium to low speed agility and climb rate.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I/JG1 Oesau (http://jg1-oesau.org) is recruiting. Join us!

Stab.I/JG1Death at HL, Maj_Death at Ubi.com

At the start of WW2 the German army lacked experienced anti-aircraft gunners. The average gunner was so bad that the USSR decided to help them out. They did it by forcing some of their pilots to fly I-153 flak magnets. These planes were slow but very sturdy. This allowed German anti-aircraft gunners to get a large amount of target practice on a relatively small number of planes. Thanks to the Soviets help, by the end of the war the German anti-aircraft gunners were amoung the best in the world.</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 12:26 PM
TX-Zen wrote:
- Robban, did you have CEM on for the tests? I'd be
- interested to know the mixture settings for the LA7
- and the possible effects it contributed to the climb
- tests.

On the La-7 I used 100% pitch all the way as this is what most people do, but I kept changing the fuel mixture by 2000m intervals.
The kommandoger√¬§t for the 190 is beauty!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Maj_Death wrote:

- When it comes to performance, the D9 late is
- marginally faster than the La-7 at most but not all
- altitudes. However the La-7 soundly out climbs it.
- The D9 late has a combat sustained climb rate of
- 22m/s while the La-7 does 30m/s. I don't try to
- outclimb the La-7's in anything, it doesn't work
- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif . The Fw-190's as a whole have
- really only 2 advantages over the La's of the same
- year. Those advantages are superior high speed
- agility and maximum dive speed. The top speeds and
- top sustained speeds are usually very close at most
- altitudes. The La's hold the advantage in medium to
- low speed agility and climb rate.

Climbrate changes with alt as we know the best alt where dora outclimbs the la7 is between 3500 m and 4500 m . Above that la7
gains in climb and the difference isnt that high to risk a catch in climb .

You can see this in Youss climbrate comparison program and when
you do climbtests.