PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about AC Syndicate's lack of modern day?

king-hailz
09-21-2015, 08:21 AM
So one of two things must have happened, either MAC lied to us about the modern day being more prominent and the fact that 'it's back'. Or we just didn't understand him. Whatever it was we know that the modern day for syndicate won't be much more than what it was in Unity, we won't actually explore a modern day world and I know this from what MAC said

'We want the present day setting to be simple and not heavy for the player, it must be consistent and motivating enough to justify the whole experience in the past'

And what we heard from the podcast with Loomer:

"...the modern day can't be really explored through the games. The developers can show what happens during the events of the game or what happened in-between the games through files, but they cannot really explore the present day layer in-depth."

So it will be like Unity with some cutscenes of some person talking to us (the initiate) and giving us a simple reason to go back into Jacob and Evies memories. So do you guys love this fact that there is basically no modern day or do you hate it like me!

fcederberg
09-21-2015, 08:24 AM
I hate it! For me the modern day have always been equally important as the historic part. So this is really a shame...

Senningiri_GR
09-21-2015, 09:10 AM
I think that it is terrible and we should have a present day story back again

VestigialLlama4
09-21-2015, 09:20 AM
So one of two things must have happened, either MAC lied to us about the modern day being more prominent and the fact that 'it's back'. Or we just didn't understand him. Whatever it was we know that the modern day for syndicate won't be much more than what it was in Unity, we won't actually explore a modern day world and I know this from what MAC said

'We want the present day setting to be simple and not heavy for the player, it must be consistent and motivating enough to justify the whole experience in the past'

And what we heard from the podcast with Loomer:

"...the modern day can't be really explored through the games. The developers can show what happens during the events of the game or what happened in-between the games through files, but they cannot really explore the present day layer in-depth."

So it will be like Unity with some cutscenes of some person talking to us (the initiate) and giving us a simple reason to go back into Jacob and Evies memories. So do you guys love this fact that there is basically no modern day or do you hate it like me!

I have been critical of Ubisoft, but as far as Modern Day goes, I am with them. For me the games are historical mainly, it's what makes the Franchise unique, it is its major contribution to games as a whole, it provides the most unique gameplay. The modern day is there just to give them freedom to move from one era to the next and to kind of provide some kind of plot or order to the games, some McGuffin, some quest which are basically excuses. That's it.

I personally like the approach to Modern Day in all the games so far, I like the Desmond in Brotherhood/Revelations/AC3 equally. I don't think either is better than the other. I like Black Flag's MD best of all, because its funny and it has wit. And to me, Unity is a failure because of its historical part, and not the present day. I liked the Time Anomalies (I mean yeah that skull thing was pointless and that's a flaw but it would have been forgivable if the rest of the game were good). For me Modern Day is a nice diverting relief, and a break. Like Desmond's Journey in Revelations I liked that a lot. As for the Scooby gang in Brotherhood and AC2, well I never bought the romance between Dez and Lucy and Shaun and Rebecca became more interesting in AC3 I'd argue. I actually bonded with them when Shaun says that when it's over they'll dive all the way to First Civ or go on a vacation. You know, I would be really upset if anything were to happen to them.

If people want modern day AC then it has to really be its separate thing, it has to be a full game and when it comes out fans will say it's basically Deux Ex/Watch_Dogs/Hitman/Mirror's Edge and whatnot

dxsxhxcx
09-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I wish they had the balls to drop it entirely and stopped creating excuses to not put some effort on it (we got it Ubisoft, you don't want to create a decent story because it'll be harder to milk the franchise this way, at least this is what I want to believe, the alternative is just plain incompetence), just "sell us" the game as an Abstergo Entertainment product (that, in and of itself, can be used as the reason to go to the past), no need for half-assed modern days (I'll pretend a trainee erased Juno from the internet by mistake, The Instruments of the First Will were just hippies high on mushroom tea and the modern Assassins/Templars decided to look for professional help to solve their daddy issues, it can't get any better than this with the current MD style anyway), put this extra effort into the historical period and the game itself to avoid another Unity fiasco.

If people want modern day AC then it has to really be its separate thing, it has to be a full game and when it comes out fans will say it's basically Deux Ex/Watch_Dogs/Hitman/Mirror's Edge and whatnot

I disagree with this, IMO there is enough space to create a compelling modern day narrative in the AC games, the problem is that they are dragging out the story on purpose because of the yearly releases (and to put out more games), and to do that they need to keep adding new things such as Sages, precursor boxes and whatnot...

What they need to do is create a story with a beginning, a middle and an end that will expand throughout a "x" number of games (preferably three or four) and stop dragging out the story and adding pointless sub-plots!

Xangr8
09-21-2015, 09:45 AM
I still have faith in Ubi.

Sorrosyss
09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
I understandably hate this news if true. It has always been the glue that holds the game together. If you are going to ignore the modern day and First Civilization plotlines, and how they all link together then you may as well rename the series in my opinion.

This is realy confusing, as I'm paraphrasing but one interview it stated that we wouldn't "just be collecting data for someone". That in itself implied more than AC4, and why so many of us have been waiting for this supposed late summer reveal for the modern day. Have we now been misled?

What disturbs me more is that Modern Day seems to be appearing in other media, such as comics and indeed the movie, but they seem intent on gutting it from the game series - and indeed what made the story great in my view. If they are attempting to push the modern day to the tertiary expanded universe, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Disappointed for one. But when at every E3 interview they were asked about the Modern Day return, you have to wonder why they have not got the message that it is missed.

bitebug2003
09-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Not bothered really since the Desmond Era.

AC4 and AC Rogue's MD was pretty mundane.

I did like Unity's Bishop -- but if it wasn't there I wouldn't really miss it.

SixKeys
09-21-2015, 12:23 PM

Funny, they managed it just fine with all the Desmond games. :rolleyes:

EmptyCrustacean
09-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Not bothered really since the Desmond Era.

AC4 and AC Rogue's MD was pretty mundane.

I did like Unity's Bishop -- but if it wasn't there I wouldn't really miss it.

I hope Bishop becomes one of the MD characters alongside Shaun and Rebecca. Getting rid of MD highlights an inability from Ubi to establish what is truly wrong.
As Farlander once said, it wasn't that it broke immersion it was just that it wasn't handled with the love and care that the historical time period was.
They got rid of MD in Unity. Did that make the game any better received? Exactly. I read no praise for cutting MG but I read plenty of complaints about it from the hardcore fans.

dxsxhxcx
09-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Funny, they managed it just fine with all the Desmond games. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

excuses and more excuses... http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

VoXngola
09-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Wasn't it said in a gameinformer article shortly after Syndicate's reveal that its modern day would be similar to Unity's? Only a little more fleshed out I guess but still nothing satisfying.

I'm with Sorrosyss here. The modern day still exists, but they are slowly but surely taking it away from the games and instead they are putting it in other forms of media. The comics, Initiates, the movie, Project Legacy and I also think there are some encyclopedia right? Like the official encyclopedia and the Abstergo employee handbooks and what not?

It's an attempt to appeal to the masses. They don't want a modern day in these games. MD fans have to look elsewhere for their MD content, while the masses will be satisfied with this approach because AC is finally a historical action series only, just like they wanted. The modern day getting smaller and smaller with each entry only proves this.

pineal_gland
09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
It's not a big surprise is it...
The entire game is screaming IT MUST APPEAL TO THE MASSES.
playing 80% as some kind of brainless, egocentric stereotype and 20% as Evie is just one example of this.
Solving insignificant crimes like batman, instead of fighting a secret mysterious war behind the scenes for the greater good is another example.

The soul has left the franchise, and now all that's left is an empty shell...

https://cantuse.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/1410040064833-e1410887958794.jpg?w=624

to:

http://img.costumecraze.com/images/vendors/california/00832-Adult-Deluxe-Supa-Mac-Daddy-Pimp-Costume-large.jpg

Have fun!

Farlander1991
09-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Ever since the first game, Modern Day never was the huge production focus of the franchise. I mean, that's understandable, but still, let's look at Desmond's saga:
AC1 - confined environment (with e-mails and dialogues)
AC2 - confined environment with dialogs, and the old confined environment is expanded a bit.
ACB - greatly reused assets and repurposed locations from AC2, with a new level that reused assets as well.
ACR - confined environment with abstract first-person missions (which, ironically enough, develop Desmond's character the most in comparison to previous games).
AC3 - the big game, the one that spends the most on modern day, is a confined environment with dialogs and e-mails + 3 levels.

And still, the issue is not in the style of usage, but how it's used. To me, AC4 modern day is the most quality modern day we have so far. It tells a little story self-contained story while setting up a whole arc, it's got tons of lore, it provides character development to both Desmond and Vidic. It uses its production time and assets wisely.

Like, all Desmonds' games modern day are very reactionary in a way.Oh, everybody hates MD in AC1? Well, we'll have almost none of it in AC2, but we'll still have glyphs that expand the lore. Oh, everybody loved glyphs? Well, let's have more of them in ACB and make Subject 16 an even more important character.

It's weird. Not a lot of production time can be relegated to the game's modern day part, and yet each game kept adding more and more mysteries and unanswered question, and which is more baffling, more plot lines (with there being two plotlines introduced in the first two games - one being the satellite, the other the solar flare, - an event of epic proportions, - and then while ACB tried to keep them somehow together, the future games just pushed satellite to the side because, ****, that's too much plotlines!) And Desmond's character arc is very hard to handle in a structure like this, and honestly it's kinda a mess. Desmond's Saga is a mess. You may like it, you may not like it, that's all personal preference, but I think it's fair to say that, regardless, the structure of plot and character is all over the place and not really coherent.

So AC4 is very smart about its modern day. It knows that arc of the modern day protagonist is a ***** to make and plan over the course of annual releases that are developped concurrently, so the character is first-person while the focus is on the outside world (and games can tell amazing stories and have amazing characters with a premise like this, Portal 2 for example). It knows that it can't tell a huge sprawling story, so it tells a little one, and sets up an arc so future games could continue this arc step by step (though so far none of them did). And it knows that it can add a hefty amount of lore, so that's what it does. Honestly, if Ubisoft would kept going with a system like that, we would get some really quality modern day storyline. Yes, it wouldn't have a third-person protagonist, focus would be on external characters and events, but it's possible to make it good, interesting, episodic and at the same time coherent, and at the end of it all - great. It's a lot harder to make something with a protagonist like Desmond who has to have an arc, develop relationships between all other characters, have a single plot threadline, and all that across bunch of titles that are developed in parallel (heck, and even if not in parallel - it's not like Desmond was that interesting as a character in the first two games, and its nit like AC2 continued the satellite plotline of AC1)

But, even AC4 lacks something that was the biggest mistake of AC1 (and some future games as well) and why the masses never really liked the modern day. I'm talking about thematic connection. While with Altair we learn to pierce illusions, to understand the Creed, to accept responsibility, as Desmond we just sit there and see what the hell is going on around us. While as Ezio we're out on a quest for revenge, eventually learning the futility of it, as Desmond we're just like, 'sit in the animus so you'd be able to do everything Ezio can'.

Later on they tried to do something, with ACR having a theme of choosing what to do with your legacy and what to do with your life (we have three assassins all contemplating their past life, and each influencing another in their choice of which destiny to accept), and AC3 trying to have a father/son theme going, but it was too little and too late.

Modern day didn't catch on with the masses because it felt disrupting from the experience, and it was - it doesn't continue the themes of what's going on in the main historical part, it's something else entirely. So at this point, with no thematic connection going, I think AC4 way is the one to go and the one that will allow for the most quality storytelling given the resources that can be applied to modern day, but even then as we can see it doesn't really matter if other games don't continue the trend.

So at this point I am not sure if I really care for the modern day. I'm curious to see where it will go and how it will eventually be handled, but the overall plotline has just so much stuff going on with all these boxes and sages and Junos and unanswered questions from previous titles and legacy and what the **** not, that I don't even know, and the promise of simple yet quality modern day that AC4 provided wasn't fulfilled yet.

cawatrooper9
09-21-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm still (and like naively) holding out that MD is still going to be more fleshed out and that the devs didn't lie to us.
MD isn't a deal maker/breaker, as there are multiple things that I love about AC, but if the devs really want to make the series as great as it once was they're going to have to invest some time in an interesting overarching plot again.

VestigialLlama4
09-21-2015, 03:43 PM
But, even AC4 lacks something that was the biggest mistake of AC1 (and some future games as well) and why the masses never really liked the modern day. I'm talking about thematic connection.

I do think there are thematic connections. The pirates are essentially sailors longing for freedom at Nassau, revolting because their naval masters were too tyrannical. The person you are playing in Modern Day is a corporate slave who contrary to appearances isn't free, I mean there's this whole fake cheer to Abstergo's offices but you have cameras everywhere and you can be imprisoned in the office dungeons and it's entirely legal to have that done to you. So in a way it reinforces the theme of freedom.

The MD is kind of an inversion of the game. The game is wide open seas and explicit violence, the MD is confined areas and subtle, invisible violence. The game is about pirates taking control while the MD player literally has no control, she's entirely a puppet to the Assassins/John from IT/The Templars/The Player. Like Edward says that being poor in Wales is not free at all, since he's being paid nothing, whereas RL is well paid but not free. Then you have Black Bart the Sage in the Past who makes the Pirates professionals by bringing these pirate articles and forcing discipline so that they can rob people on a bigger scale, essentially eroding their privileges by telling them not to drink while at work and so on. But the Present Day Sage, John from IT, is a modern hacker (an internet pirate) and he's a kind of anarchist psycho.

It explains why RL would be interested in the Pirates and the Assassins and eventually turn over to them. On a broader scale, it explains why people in the 21st Century Modern Day, relate to these pirates, since the MD is about entertainment, about video games. Because there's a sense that we aren't really free or are not comfortable with the compromises forced upon us. I mean the thing about the MD of Black Flag is that a lot of people can relate to it. Because corporatism has seeped across many fields, at some point you will see an office like that and the same kind of people, those fake cheerful bosses like Melanie Lemay who's being polite but forceful. The pressures and crap that Garneau has to put up with, and where people essentially screw you over while apologizing for it. You see it with your parents, your friends who work in that field and maybe you yourself if you work in an office space.

So it's more closer to us then the MD of earlier games, where Desmond isn't really an Everyman, how many of us actually run away from home, after being raised in what sounds like a doomsday cult/terrorist cell, and then magically become a bartender in a trendy New York club and parties with celebrities. He's kind of this classic "lost boy comes to big city" guy, his life is like an adventure novel and then the Templars come.

Hans684
09-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Complete filler, might as well replay Liberation. At least it has a purpose unlike Unity that's nothing but a waste time and history for a pointless story that don't progress anything.

BananaBlighter
09-21-2015, 05:00 PM
It's not my favourite aspect of the franchise, but it was certainly interesting in early titles. It's sad to see it go, not because I really wanted in the first place, but because it just comes to show how little Ubi listen to the hardcore fans. Nowadays the games are designed for 'casual' gamers, those who have no real appreciation for the franchise but pick the game up just to stab people as easily as possible.

Both times MAC has seemed really clear, so either they've changed their initial plans now, on one of the two times MAC was lying, I'm hoping that this is the quote we're misunderstanding.

Farlander1991
09-21-2015, 05:20 PM
I do think there are thematic connections.

I agree with the connections you've listed, they certainly are there (as well as, for example, there's a question of surveillance in AC4 past storyline, and it being used against us in MD and us putting it against the corporation itself). 'Thematic connection' was a wrong term cause they're in every game one way or another, I guess the term I'm looking for is 'thematic thread'.

As an example. The thematic thread of Revelation is legacy. What do you do with your legacy, and what legacy you leave after yourself.
We have three different characters in three different time periods: Altair, Ezio and Desmond. They all are part of the legacy of being in the fight of the Assassins, though each with different circumstances - for Altair it's his only life, Ezio got forced into it by circumstance, and Desmond tried to run away from it. And they all get to a sort of junction point where they need to decide where to go, what to do with this legacy and what kind of legacy will it leave after themselves. Altair got betrayed and thrown out of the Order, Ezio is tired of his life and more careless and reckless due to that, and Desmond's in a coma caused by him trying to do something other than running away (not to mention the killing his friend part).

These three people, they explore their own past and past of each other, and in the end answer the question of what to do with their legacy, and each has their own answer. Altair fights for truth until his very last day, even though he doubts himself sometimes,and with his messages shows to future assassins what cost this fight takes. Ezio knows that he can't show the same kind of dedication, he wants to lead a simple life, so he retires deciding that he has seen enough, but not before transmitting a message to Desmond. And Desmond realizes that this whole thing is something a lot bigger than himself or his lifetime, that it spans generations and that it's now up to him to not let all that legacy go away, even if it means his own life will be taken in the process.

There's also Subject 16 who goes through thematic thread, but it's a bit disjointed due to his memories being a separate DLC.

Now, in AC4 the thematic thread you see in the historical part is finding who you are and what is your place in this world. Freedom, surveilance, everything else - those are of course themes as well, but they're like... 'side themes' :D the most important thread is finding yourself, as it's present in every important character of our pirate group the game is focused on. Assassins and Templars - they already know who they are and what they do. But Edward and others - they're 'eeeeeh' about this, they're still searching. Steve Bonnet wants life of adventure, Blackbeard eventually wants to retire, Roberts gets tired of running and decides to live a merry life but a short one, Hornigold is wishing for a place with order and stability, Adewale wanting to join a fight that's bigger than himself, etc. All these people think they have different needs or wants and over the course of the game, through interaction with each other and with the two other main groups - A/T, find their ground they stand on (with exception of Vane I guess who's just bat**** crazy). So the game has all these themes, but the main thread is about finding yourself, that's the point of Edward's arc and arcs of most other characters are connected to it as well.

That theme is not present in MD. Now, you can argue I guess that this is what our main MD protagonist goes through maybe, with him being a standard worker who joins the Assassins, but that doesn't really come through to be honest. I'm not sure what the main theme of MD is honestly, it's more about uncovering conspiracy and mystery (about Abstergo, John, Juno, other people in the company and in the world even, etc.).

EmptyCrustacean
09-21-2015, 05:25 PM
And still, the issue is not in the style of usage, but how it's used. To me, AC4 modern day is the most quality modern day we have so far. It tells a little story self-contained story while setting up a whole arc, it's got tons of lore, it provides character development to both Desmond and Vidic. It uses its production time and assets wisely.

So AC4 is very smart about its modern day. It knows that arc of the modern day protagonist is a ***** to make and plan over the course of annual releases that are developped concurrently, so the character is first-person while the focus is on the outside world (and games can tell amazing stories and have amazing characters with a premise like this, Portal 2 for example). It knows that it can't tell a huge sprawling story, so it tells a little one, and sets up an arc so future games could continue this arc step by step (though so far none of them did). And it knows that it can add a hefty amount of lore, so that's what it does. Honestly, if Ubisoft would kept going with a system like that, we would get some really quality modern day storyline. Yes, it wouldn't have a third-person protagonist, focus would be on external characters and events, but it's possible to make it good, interesting, episodic and at the same time coherent, and at the end of it all - great. It's a lot harder to make something with a protagonist like Desmond who has to have an arc, develop relationships between all other characters, have a single plot threadline, and all that across bunch of titles that are developed in parallel (heck, and even if not in parallel - it's not like Desmond was that interesting as a character in the first two games, and its nit like AC2 continued the satellite plotline of AC1)

So at this point I am not sure if I really care for the modern day. I'm curious to see where it will go and how it will eventually be handled, but the overall plotline has just so much stuff going on with all these boxes and sages and Junos and unanswered questions from previous titles and legacy and what the **** not, that I don't even know, and the promise of simple yet quality modern day that AC4 provided wasn't fulfilled yet.

No offense but you're just so in love with ACIV that it's blinding you to the truth. ACIV was an excellent game but when it came to anything remotely resembling a story it fell flat and this can be applied to the modern day as well. Nobody can rationally say that ACIV had good MD, come on. Yes, it took advantage of collectibles and hidden documents which provided lore and backstory (and I would like to see this continue into future MD with a third person narrative) but that's only because it was a poor substitute for a cinematic cut scene which would have actually showed us, rather than told us. ACIV is missing a strong narrative and a sense that we're building up to something greater. Additionally, much of what you listed is optional so cannot really factor into the story in a significant way. And the Far Cry 3 magazines sprawled out everywhere you turned made me sick!!! lol!

The best modern day sequences were Brotherhood and ACIII. In Brotherhood we actually got to see dialogue as opposed to exposition between Lucy and Desmond as well as some fun puzzle solving. ACIII also had excellent modern day stuff as the Juno parts were bomb. But interestingly enough both Broterhood and ACIII have terrible endings.

But, even AC4 lacks something that was the biggest mistake of AC1 (and some future games as well) and why the masses never really liked the modern day. I'm talking about thematic connection. While with Altair we learn to pierce illusions, to understand the Creed, to accept responsibility, as Desmond we just sit there and see what the hell is going on around us. While as Ezio we're out on a quest for revenge, eventually learning the futility of it, as Desmond we're just like, 'sit in the animus so you'd be able to do everything Ezio can'.

Later on they tried to do something, with ACR having a theme of choosing what to do with your legacy and what to do with your life (we have three assassins all contemplating their past life, and each influencing another in their choice of which destiny to accept), and AC3 trying to have a father/son theme going, but it was too little and too late.

Modern day didn't catch on with the masses because it felt disrupting from the experience, and it was - it doesn't continue the themes of what's going on in the main historical part, it's something else entirely. So at this point, with no thematic connection going, I think AC4 way is the one to go and the one that will allow for the most quality storytelling given the resources that can be applied to modern day, but even then as we can see it doesn't really matter if other games don't continue the trend.

Agree.

HoyHoyJake
09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
As long as the gameplay is good and they have a way of tying it all together, I'm not too worried. Maybe they find that portion of the game alienating to newcomers who are not familiar with the series and thus would have to explain it over and over again.

Alphacos007
09-21-2015, 07:44 PM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt untill the game is out. If they make another Unity-style MD and the historical gameplay doesn't impress me, this will be the last AC game that I buy untill we get something really good. It's unfortunate how this series got worse and worse over the time, I never tought I wouldn't buy an AC game on release. I still have my hopes though, Syndicate trailers seemed pretty good, so I might actually get impressed by it.

RVSage
09-21-2015, 07:50 PM
I would hate it if it were true, MD was the biggest mess of unity. And "core" fans made it very clear it is essential. I hope it is still there, And I still have trust in MAC's statement "it is back" let's see what happens

duncanr2n
09-21-2015, 08:06 PM
I would definitely like to see more of the MD in Syndicate than we got in Unity. I feel like there's so many loose ends with the MD right now that there needs to be some narrative to pull it all together. I like being let out of the animus every once in a while and seeing what's going on in the real world. And with various items we have going on (Sage(s?), Juno, and a new Templar) from the last three games (not Unity, ACIII, IV and Rogue), it would be neat to pull that all together. I mean an obvious thing again that we could be searching for is a sage or POE but you need to give the player a reason to do so. That's why the Desmond stuff was, I thought, so compelling. You had a reason to want to move through the memories to find the POEs or whatever so that you could take care of business in the MD segments, like finding the key in ACIII. ACIVs MD segments still had some of that and it was nicely tied to the events in the game, Rogue was interesting cause the kinda flipped the script for both the MD character and the in game character (and if you paid attention they setup the MD stuff for Unity). But Unity didn't really do much with the MD stuff, it felt like an afterthought and didn't even tie up any of the loose ends from ACIII, IV or Rogue. At the end of Unity the MD is still essentially the same state. Sure the Assassin's stopped the Templars, (not really, they'd never find him in that catacomb anyway) so at the end you kinda felt like, well, I really didn't help anything.

If Syndicate uses the same method that Unity does, I'll be okay with that, but I need to MD story to have some impact or change or whatever. It needs to move forward, not stagnate.

Sushiglutton
09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
'We want the present day setting to be simple and not heavy for the player (...)

This is a great goal imo. Just want it out of my way :)!

dxsxhxcx
09-21-2015, 08:23 PM
I would hate it if it were true, MD was the biggest mess of unity. And "core" fans made it very clear it is essential. I hope it is still there, And I still have trust in MAC's statement "it is back" let's see what happens

IMO the best you can expect for is the return of AC4 modern days style... I doubt they will return to a third person character and even if they do, it'll probably be AC4 in third person (mute character with no personality of his own)...

RVSage
09-21-2015, 09:18 PM
IMO the best you can expect for is the return of AC4 modern days style... I doubt they will return to a third person character and even if they do, it'll probably be AC4 in third person (mute character with no personality of his own)...

I did like the black flag perspective. You being the modern protagonist, but still you get to interact with assassins, Juno, templars. The modern day part gives the purpose for going back in time. Without which it is pointless. Yes, a third person character would be great, but something black flag would not be bad either

cawatrooper9
09-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Agreed, I enjoyed the ACBF modern day. It was actually pretty in depth for the players looking for that, but went quickly for those only interested in Edward's story.
Also, Rogue's MD was a great continuation of that story!

Iorek_21
09-21-2015, 09:44 PM
I don't know if this mean anything, but Ubisoft Brazil's Youtube Channel made an interview with some brazillian voice actors from Syndicate, and one of the women said that she was voicing Juno...

Well, at least she'll be there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alphacos007
09-21-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't know if this mean anything, but Ubisoft Brazil's Youtube Channel made an interview with some brazillian voice actors from Syndicate, and one of the women said that she was voicing Juno...

Good to know, I hadn't seen that video. Could you provide me with a link? I did not find it.

But yea, as some people said, I actually enjoyed BF4's MD, I just dislike the lack of personality. If we had a voice, it would be 47832478392478329472% better. I don't like beeing "me", we've been us in AC4, Rogue and Unity, and those are clearly not the same person. How can that be? Completely breaks the immersion stuff. I just want to have a character. I don't mind 1st person, even though 3rd person would be better.

F3nix013
09-22-2015, 03:29 PM
I really hate this. Unity didnt even have a modern day. I dont care about Bishop popping in every now and then, that is not MD. They need to keep MD as a part of the game because Juno is still out there and we dont know anything past what happened in BF.

Either they are too lazy or they cant figure out how to put the MD back in even though it is very easy.

harsab
09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
oops voted LOVE IT by accident was supposed to vote HATE IT...

anyhow, i think i will be happy as long as the MD is present & consistent throughout the game so i don't feel like I'm doing something with no purpose.

kosmoscreed
09-23-2015, 03:40 AM
I don't care anymore, to begin with, MD was never the reason why I play this games. I got some enjoyment from BF modern day but in my opinion MD died after Revelations. Personally I think they need to hit the reset button, gameplay and story-wise.

EmbodyingSeven5
09-23-2015, 05:23 AM
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/liar.jpg

That's pretty much it. WHY UBI!? WHY!? ARGH!

RA503
09-23-2015, 06:55 AM

Link please !!!

nukelukespuke34
09-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Wait a second, is there a link to the source saying MD would again be simplified? Where is this coming from? The OP mentioned a "podcast from Loomer", so where can I find it?

Sorrosyss
09-23-2015, 07:56 PM
To be honest, I think it is this quote that makes the situation a little worrying. This really did suggest at something more substantial than Unity.

The Assassin's Creed series story is still going somewhere, absolutely. The overarching story is divided up into cycles. So we had what we called the Desmond cycle, which ended with AC3. Black Flag was the transition point between the Desmond cycle and the new cycle.

So what people were hinting at in the very first Assassin's Creed was that date, in December 2012, when the world ends. For the final game in that arc, which was Assassin's Creed 3, we had to ship it in line with that real-world date. We knew that. I remember when we were on AC3 we kept saying “this game can’t slip, it can’t be delayed, we’re not going to change the Mayan calendar.”

That was the end of the Desmond cycle. And then we started up the new cycle, which I think will become much clearer with Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, without spoiling it. I can’t go into details about the present-day story, other than to say it is coming back, it is going to make sense for our players, and they’re going to understand the conflict between the Assassins and the Templars.

One of the things that’s been super important for me and for the team is to make sure the player feels in the present-day story that he or she has importance. That what they’re doing is helping the assassins in their war against the Templars. That they’re not just sourcing data for someone.

Without going into detail, it’s what justifies 95 percent of your experience inside the game, so it was essential. But I know we have to keep hush-hush.

Will a central character return?

[PR]: The present-day matters will be talked about later on.

Giard: [Laughs] I think we’ve already said too much.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/made-by-history-assassins-creed-syndicate/1100-6429248/

(This interview was only 8 weeks ago...)

Altair1789
09-23-2015, 09:13 PM
I knew they'd leave it out. All they said about Syndicate's MD was basically the exact same thing they said about Unity's MD. It's a shame, but you could see it coming from a mile away

dxsxhxcx
09-23-2015, 11:07 PM
To be honest, I think it is this quote that makes the situation a little worrying. This really did suggest at something more substantial than Unity.

"Something more substantial than Unity" doesn't necessarily mean something different than Unity (in style),this quote IMO makes quite clear that, once again, we'll be playing the role of a generic character (most likely a Initiate) analyzing the protagonist(s) memories like we did in ACU, but that this time our work will payoff in the end.

"make sure the player feels in the present-day story that he or she has importance. That what they’re doing is helping the assassins in their war against the Templars. That they’re not just sourcing data for someone"

nukelukespuke34
09-24-2015, 01:55 AM
Again, where is the source that MD is gonna be crap again? Where is this "Loomer" podcast?

Wolfmeister1010
09-24-2015, 03:10 AM
If there is a modern day at all, perhaps the HQ Shaun, Rebecca and whats her face are based at the Kenway mansion.

Alphacos007
09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
If there is a modern day at all, perhaps the HQ Shaun, Rebecca and whats her face are based at the Kenway mansion.

That would actually be pretty cool. But would also be pretty obvious, so I don't think it'll happen.

Hans684
09-24-2015, 06:47 PM
That would actually be pretty cool. But would also be pretty obvious, so I don't think it'll happen.

Nothing will happen, story does't look like a focus.