PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about upgrade

spadeviper
03-26-2004, 06:40 PM
I've always wanted to know if the difference between 533 and 800 bus speeds on CPU's are worth paying out for a new motherboard and chipset. My motherboard is an Asus P4B533 and I have a Pentium 1.6ghz. I can get a 3.06 ghz cpu with 533 for around $300 CDN. Is it worth the jump to the 800's? or even to jump to 3.06ghz or let the prices come down? I love my ATI Radeon 8500LE, I have never had any framerate issues and don't intend to upgrade until I see what the future holds (256mb cards).

spadeviper
03-26-2004, 06:40 PM
I've always wanted to know if the difference between 533 and 800 bus speeds on CPU's are worth paying out for a new motherboard and chipset. My motherboard is an Asus P4B533 and I have a Pentium 1.6ghz. I can get a 3.06 ghz cpu with 533 for around $300 CDN. Is it worth the jump to the 800's? or even to jump to 3.06ghz or let the prices come down? I love my ATI Radeon 8500LE, I have never had any framerate issues and don't intend to upgrade until I see what the future holds (256mb cards).

Slammin_
03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Then wait dude. If you have no need to upgrade now, then stash the extra cash away since you WILL need to upgrade soon for sure.

As for your question on FSB, sure, FSB makes a huge difference when all the components involved can benefit from the boost. There are so many variables, as far as whether it is worth it, or if you will see a huge jump in performance.

Basically, just look at what is bechmark today, as far as high performance and all the components involved. Then you may have to throw in over clocking in case you are a hobbyist/smart shopper, and then do some more homework.

Not a simple proposition without more info. Wrong forum too btw.