PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why you love AC

dimbismp
09-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Please don't vote for all options :P

Sorrosyss
09-18-2015, 12:25 AM
For me, the story has always been the prime reason to play. I enjoy open world games as a rule, but when I played the original Assassin's Creed I was pulled into a world of conspiracy with a fascinating modern day setting. I was eager to see what would happen to Desmond, and when AC2 came around and we were introduced to the First Civilization - I loved it.

Here we had three timelines converging, and I found it really engrossing and wanted to know what happened next. I like the historical tourism, but for me it has always been the filler to get me to the points I really enjoy - the modern day and TWCB. Unsurprisingly, the more they remove those two elements, the less I have enjoyed the story - with Unity absolutely bottom of the franchise for me. I'll remain hopeful for Syndicate's story to bounce back though.

VoXngola
09-18-2015, 12:37 AM
For me, the story has always been the prime reason to play. I enjoy open world games as a rule, but when I played the original Assassin's Creed I was pulled into a world of conspiracy with a fascinating modern day setting. I was eager to see what would happen to Desmond, and when AC2 came around and we were introduced to the First Civilization - I loved it.

Here we had three timelines converging, and I found it really engrossing and wanted to know what happened next. I like the historical tourism, but for me it has always been the filler to get me to the points I really enjoy - the modern day and TWCB. Unsurprisingly, the more they remove those two elements, the less I have enjoyed the story - with Unity absolutely bottom of the franchise for me. I'll remain hopeful for Syndicate's story to bounce back though.

Basically me.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Historical tourism

I never liked history until I was introduced to Assassin's Creed. And I don't regret it one bit :)

And I find parkour to be awesome :p

strigoi1958
09-18-2015, 01:34 AM
Secret Society...

Rugterwyper32
09-18-2015, 01:34 AM
Completely the opposite of posts 2 and 3 of this topic. I went into AC1 not knowing at all of Modern Day, and I found it a not so pleasant surprise, though I did appreciate how it worked rather well as a framing device for the gameplay elements. Lost interest in it in 2, kinda got it back with Brotherhood thanks to how mystical modern Monteriggioni and the Colosseum were, stopped caring until AC4 which I found fun enough.
But what always keeps bringing me in is the historical tourism. A proper historical game that isn't an RTS? Sign me up. The secret society part is a big part, too, though admittedly it did get ridiculous and wasn't exactly "secret" during the Ezio trilogy, specially Revelations. That one was just silly, and in ways more than that one.

This topic is giving me deja-vu, I remember making a similar one last year.

GunnerGalactico
09-18-2015, 11:20 AM
Coming fresh off the PoP and Tomb Raider franchises back then, the parkour and open-world are two of the biggest reasons why I took to AC. I loved idea of taking my own route to reach a destination instead of linear, pre-designed checkpoints. It was up to me whether I chose to walk, ride on horseback or climb buildings. I also enjoy being part of a secret order that is trying to foil a plot or conspiracy... especially in an interesting historical time period.

Ichrukia56
09-18-2015, 11:45 AM
Historical Tourism, MD and TWCB and a world of conspiracy :)

VestigialLlama4
09-18-2015, 01:40 PM
The first AC game I bought was AC2. And to me it was many things, it was the graphics. I had stopped gaming after 2003 to focus on studies and other stuff, so I missed out the graphics revolution in-between. Coming after a long gap, I bought the Xbox 360, and I played AC2, which had stuff I always thought was Holy Grail (in my younger days) in terms of graphics.

The Parkour around Florence, the whole sense that I can climb any roof any ledge, any building, that always felt revolutionary to me and it still does. For a long time I was frustrated that backgrounds in games were painted and as such not real. This is even true of GTA where the only real objects are the vehicles but the buildings and stuff are really just scenery. AC built that up with making the architecture your friend. You can climb from any point to any point. It was tactile freedom at its finest. No other game before really had that and few after that. I get impatient with open world games after that where the backgrounds are done conventionally.

Then of course it was the scope of the story, the historical part and how it threaded that into the plot, the backgrounds and all the details. There was a sense that this game really did feel like the past and that made every aspect of the open world interesting. Like you can look at any corner of Florence and Venice and wonder, is that how it was like or how any city was like. For me, there's no one aspect of AC I like more than any other but mainly I like it for the fact that the games are crazy, adventurous and full of things to do that. It's not one kind of game, it's a game that is filled with possibilities and stuff. All the AC games upto and including Black Flag had that.

Bastiaen
09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
I don't see why I can't vote for all options (so I did, because I could! Because it was fun!)

I happen to love AC games, and I love them for so many reasons. This list was too short to contain my love of the series.

I knew when I started college that AC1 would be the reason that I defected from Nintendo, and the reason that I would need to buy a new console. I didn't buy it initially, but when AC2 was announced, I upgraded and completed my playthrough of AC1.

Modern day and TWCB, absolutely, yes, yes and yes. This may have become my favorite part, and while I'm not often critical of Unity, this was the point in which it failed the most.

Secret society, yes. I love the conspiracy of it all, which allows then for an interesting version of alternate history.

Historical Tourism? Absolutely. I have always been a history buff, and the opportunity to live out some of history's greatest moments through a game was something I could never pass up.

Parkour? Yep. It took what I loved about Prince of Persia and put a more realistic spin on it, as well as creating an open world that I could fully explore with this system.

Other gameplay: Combat, yes. The first time that I saw Altair fighting I knew that I had to try that out. While some of the games have better combat than others (AC2 is the black sheep in many respects) this has always been something that I've come back for. I love the beautiful animations. I'm glad to see that syndicate is looking smoother and that multi finishers are back. Stealth? Yes. As an SC vet, I knew that this was something different. I wish that a stronger emphasis on social stealth would come back, since that is what made AC different. Honestly, that was the best thing about the Ezio trilogy, and since then the social stealth hasn't be emphasized strongly enough. However, I love stealth of any sort.

Other: I don't think that it's down to any one thing that I love about AC. It's so many things wrapped together in one big package. Have there been mistakes? Yes (social items). However, the imperfection of the games doesn't detract enough from their greatness to stem my love. The single greatest thing that I love about AC is how it makes me feel.

Sorry for the rant. I love these games. I wish I still loved these forums.

BananaBlighter
09-18-2015, 06:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!! I just made a massive post on what I love about the franchise, and how I slowly grew in to it, but then it suddenly disappeared halfway through typing!!! I'll probably just come back later after I've cooled down a bit and try to type it all over again...

I love everything on that list, though if I had to choose one, it would have to be the parkour because it is what introduced me to the franchise, and is what I spend all my time doing in the open world, especially Unity.

SixKeys
09-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Mainly parkour, social stealth and modern day. The historical tourism too, of course, but AC3 taught me that only applies to eras I find interesting.

When I played AC1, I was still pretty new to gaming in general. I didn't know anything about the games other than what I'd seen in the trailers. So having the game start with that trippy sequence where everything's a blur and you have no idea what's going on, then suddenly waking up in a modern lab was hugely exciting. I loved the idea of this duality between history and modern day. It's what made the games feel bigger and more mysterious than they really were.

The parkour always felt amazing too. That sense of true freedom that other games couldn't give. When you were being chased and the guards thought they had you cornered, it was so empowering to suddenly climb up a wall like a spider monkey and leave them gaping with their mouths open. Being the lone eagle on the rooftops looking at all the ordinary people who were stuck down below. It was almost like being able to fly, this freedom to use your special skills to climb out of reach, always seeking higher ground. That fantasy is what really pulled me in.

Stealth, or rather, social stealth, also made the game unique from others. I was used to NPCs being stupid and totally oblivious to the player's actions. You could set a house on fire and people would act like nothing was wrong. They only seemed to notice you when the player walked up to them and specifically addressed them. AC1 really made you feel like your actions mattered and that you were being watched all the time. Not just by enemies but by ordinary citizens. They weren't just decoration, always standing in the same spots, the crowd reacted to your actions. You could knock them over and they'd yell at you, you could punch a beggar and send them crying for guards. You could climb a wall and have people comment that you were a madman. Even simple things like bumping into someone and have them drop what they were carrying, and they would actually get mad and follow you around. It was all stuff I had never seen in any other game.

One thing, the most important thing IMO, is missing from the poll: atmosphere. AC1 is still special to me because of its amazing atmosphere. Every single time I play it, I really feel the harsh sun on my skin, the dust flying in the wind or the cold stone walls in Acre. No other game has ever given me such a strong sense of immersion. Atmosphere decides how much I end up liking a game. I'm able to look past a lot of annoyances and flaws as long as the game is immersive. It's crucial for me to want to spend time in that world, all else is ultimately meaningless.