PDA

View Full Version : Uplay PC – September Update (New UI and QoL Improvements)

Ubi-Cain
09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gamesites/uplay/v20/news/9a3af66e12662207135d2c3abd13725d.jpg

It has been some months since our last feature update but we're back with a big one. This preview update brings with it a substantial UI overhaul along with many quality of life improvements for you to passively enjoy. This is currently in a "real world" state and you can get it now by updating to the preview build (which you can do via the client options menu).

It will be released to everyone following this test if we think it's stable enough.

We're setting the base for greater things and we'll be constantly working on making improvements in the months to come. As such, if you have any feedback you wish to share with us you can do so here on our forums.

With this change of course there come many changes that will alter the way you use Uplay and we'll list those below so you don't get lost in this new UI or wonder if something isn't working.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/gamesites/uplay/v20/news/64338c816d207d01aaa380027ae8ed95.jpg

Your game is always the focus

With this update we're putting the emphasis on your game, just the way it should be. If you launch Uplay required game from outside of our client, be it via a desktop shortcut, Steam or your preferred launcher, we want you to have a seamless experience.

Uplay will launch in the background and remain minimized so the only thing you need to concern yourself with is furiously clicking to skip those intro movies (amirite?). All you'll see before that will be splash art for your game and any related messages such as installing pre-requisites and cloud sync notifications, just so you're up to date and know what's happening.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/uplay-webcenter/prod/images/news/news_1442220025_SteamFlow.png

The Uplay client will only show up once you have finished playing your game and will display the page for the game you just played. Keeping you up to date on your progress.

Updated Install process for physical products

Similar to the above we have also revamped the process for installing physical copies of future Ubisoft games. While this will not be a major change for most it again falls under the quality of life changes we're making to streamline your experience.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/uplay-webcenter/prod/images/news/news_1442220067_RetialInstaller1.PNG

While installing your games you'll be able to check out the game page and start planning on what Achievements, Actions and Rewards you'll be unlocking first.

New Active Download menu

It's easier than ever to see the status of your downloads with the new downloads menu which can be found by clicking the icon to the top right hand corner. You'll still have access to the full Download Manager but if you just want to see them at a glance you can do so from anywhere in the client.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/uplay-webcenter/prod/images/news/news_1442220238_Downloader.jpg

News Spotlight

Never miss a beat and stay up to date on the latest happenings via our new Spotlight notifications which are displayed after you have finished playing a game. Don't worry, we won't bug you with these and you will only see them once per day.

Improved News Feed

We don't want you to be left out of the loop and with our new and improved news feed we aim to keep you informed with the latest and greatest happenings in both the Ubisoft and PC worlds.

You can access the news at any time by clicking on the tab at the top of the client.

Other Changes

In addition to the above you'll also find a number of other changes that don't need quite as much explanation.

Features added to client

Game pages will now show a list of friends currently playing that particular game

Features removed from client

The "WIN" tab has been removed (We've got some cool stuff in the works related to this)
The "Social Feed" has been removed

Features moved in client

The Left hand News feed has been replaced with a new News tab
The Gear icon used to access the client setting has been removed. Options are now access by clicking the "≡" in the upper left corner
Free games are now listed in a new category in your Games list

Overlay

Colour Scheme updated to match new UI
Social Feed removed

Well, that's all for now folks, and as a reminder if you have any feedback at all please don't hesitate to let us know over on Feedback & Suggestions forum. (http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/1027-Feedback-amp-Suggestions)

The Uplay Team

xamon288
09-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi Ubi Cain,
I like the new UI so far. With the removal of the "Social Feed" could we expect the online profile page to be added to the client soon? Also a way to share screenshots with your friends within the client would be great.

Ubi-Cain
09-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi Ubi Cain,I like the new UI so far. With the removal of the "Social Feed" could we expect the online profile page to be added to the client soon? Also a way to share screenshots with your friends within the client would be great.Hi Xamon,Happy to see that you like the new UI.As to your suggestion, we have spoken about this internally. We have for now considered ways in which we can bring players and their friends closer together so they can share in their experiences playing games through Uplay PC and while we don't have anything to share at the moment, it's certainly not being ignored :)/Cain

Fireseed
09-16-2015, 11:32 AM
I like the new UI. The client looks clean more mature, and a little bit "Steamy". But this a good point. :)
Nice to have the Shop back on board. But I really missed the social feed and the WIN tab. Hope we will get them back asap.

One thing you could add: Let us the see the achievements of games we didn´t own.

its_charro
09-16-2015, 02:05 PM
I also like the new look, but the game tiles (Pictures) are even bigger then before. No option to scale them down in size only an option to select the list-view...which you have to do every time after closing the client. Same thing for the friends list you have to open it everytime you start the client. There is no option for openening it when opening the client. That would be nice :)

I'm very curious how the integration with uplay club will look like. We'll see...

(PS that shop button WAS dearly missed)

UTAVATU
09-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Dear Ubisoft

I would like to ask, how I am supposed to configure Uplay client to start with Windows or from shortcut to System Tray (Minimized).
I use other clients like Origin and Steam and there are simple solution like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe" /StartClientMinimized
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent

Is it possible with the newest stable or beta version of Uplay client?

I would be glad if you will add such feature.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Tobbi1993
09-17-2015, 04:50 AM
I found a small bug, the progress circle is empty when it should be completely full.
http://i.imgur.com/ndcES9T.png,http://i.imgur.com/u3bsrpC.png

System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

cristhian.fs
09-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Love the new material design vibe of the client. You should probably update the Shop design too now, the design looks a bit outdated and clashes with the more flat minimalist design of the client.

Antiagonist7
09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Such a tiny little thing, but is it possible to make the Actions/Rewards icons (the progress bar) actually go to the respective page when you click on them? Also, Origin had a thing where you could shrink/enlarge the box art of your collection so you could have more games on screen at once, I'd love that here as well :) Keep it up, I'm glad you guys aren't giving up even with all the hate being thrown your way on a daily basis!

thangodi
09-19-2015, 09:41 AM
I agree... please Uplay developers make the game icons scalable, like in "EA Origin" at least, with a slider.

Other than that I like the new UI. Keep up the good work! :)

AntiChrist7
09-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Where is the friend activity gone ?

dragondaggers
09-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Hi Xamon,Happy to see that you like the new UI.As to your suggestion, we have spoken about this internally. We have for now considered ways in which we can bring players and their friends closer together so they can share in their experiences playing games through Uplay PC and while we don't have anything to share at the moment, it's certainly not being ignored :)/Cain

I can't even right click on my friends and find any sort of additional profile or other information :(. The website is more informative now! Client feels so isolated.

Cygnifick
09-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Icon's of the games badly need a rescaler, there is a lot of wasted space and I dont like scrolling down because it only shows 2 rows. And it doesn't scale with monitor width. Same with the list view, lots of wasted space and only shows 1 game name on a row.

phrostb
09-22-2015, 10:21 PM
It would be better if you just removed uplay completely. I don't need another game client, Steam is good enough. Just do what Microsoft did with gfwl. Scrap it and port your games over to steam so we can have them all in one place. It's more convenient that way.

luisrobles cl
09-25-2015, 03:50 AM
great, i love it.

A wish: The "in game" friends list (GRFS as example) can be viewed outside the game? (from Uplay friends menu)

Thanks!!

Anykeyer
09-25-2015, 09:19 AM
New design is simply awfull.
It looks like 10-foot UI but it doesnt even support full gamepad controls. Lots of space wasted, unnecessary huge spacing between almost all elements like game icons, rewards, etc.
Game page has a lot of tabs with as little infor on each of them as possible. Lots of mouse movements and clicks just to get around this abomination.
And whats up with that menu icon looking like its an android app? It just reinforces the feeling that Im looking at UI designed for 4'' screen but zoomed in.
I also dont like that ugly dark bluish tint applied everywhere, but I guess this falls into "personal preference" category.

Richm246
10-03-2015, 08:18 PM
I like the new UI, it's a nice change, I do agree that the game art should be sizable like Origin or Steam.

artmanro
10-29-2015, 04:18 PM
:) It would be so great that after this October update, the black screen and "the game has stopped to working" messages would be history, because I can't play the two Farcry3, The Crew and Watch Dogs. I do hope that Ubisoft will cease to be the worse game producer ever, and it will turn to be at least as great as Steam and Origin.

Ubi-Cain
10-29-2015, 05:07 PM
:) It would be so great that after this October update, the black screen and "the game has stopped to working" messages would be history, because I can't play the two Farcry3, The Crew and Watch Dogs. I do hope that Ubisoft will cease to be the worse game producer ever, and it will turn to be at least as great as Steam and Origin.

Those errors are game specific and not related to the client, so unfortunately we on the Uplay PC team can't fix those. I would recommend letting the game specific team/forum know about these issues :)

Also... neither Steam nor Origin "produce" games, just like Uplay :) They are game distribution/community platforms and supporting services and work with game teams rather than make the games themselves.
EA, Valve and Ubisoft do, or rather... they publish them. You could break the production down to the Studio level if you wanted to ;)

/Cain