PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate ending theories

AquilaTempestas
09-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I've been discussing theories with a few friends of mine on a forum I run, and this is what we've come up with a long list of possible endings.

I figured we could keep such discussion here as they tend to get lost in general threads. I did make a list of theories in the general thread, but we've got more information now, and so a revision was needed.

Important facts to note:

Jacob and Evie have contrasting personalities; he doesn’t follow the Creed, and she’s a firm believer in it
The game takes place within one year
Jacob has 75% of story line and Evie has the remainder
Should a twin die, their memories would be preserved in the animus and you’d still be able to free roam anyway (all the post-game stuff could happen before the main ending after all)
Leveling up and customizing characters doesn’t mean anything – RockStar killed their protagonists off (John Marsden, and the option to kill Michael and Trevor) and you could customize them. In BioWare games, the protagonist can also die after investing many long hours customizing said character (DA Origins)

Additional 'Quote' Information

Evie (assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/games/assassins-creed-syndicate/evie-frye.aspx)
Jacob (assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/games/assassins-creed-syndicate/jacob-frye.aspx)

Theory One: Jacob and Evie both survive

This is probably the ending most people want. It’s the typical happy ending, you know? Likely scenario is that Jacob sees the errors of his ways and commits himself to the Brotherhood and follows the Creed wholeheartedly like his sister. Together, they rebuild the broken Brotherhood and live happy lives.

Personally, I think this ending would be disappointing for a number of reasons – a, it’s a cliché and b, it’s been done before (Edward Kenway finding redemption in Black Flag). I also think that would be the easy way out by giving us some Hollywood type ending.

The other possible ending is that one twin dies, but they’re brought back to life with the Shroud of Eden. I too, think this would be a predictable path to take, but I feel this is quite likely to happen. I think this would be a cheesy way of ending it – what is dead should really stay dead.

Theory Two: Jacob and Evie both die

Both twins die at some point in the game. The remaining twin tries to resurrect their other half with the Shroud of Eden, but it fails. The remaining twin loses their sanity and goes on a vengeful mission and dies in action. I’m thinking if Evie dies first, then Jacob loses whatever morals he has left, and goes off the rails.

Considering the game takes place within a year, I think this would be a fine way to end their story from being continued in future games. Both could die as heroes and their deaths could bring on change in London.

Theory Three: Evie dies, Jacob lives

Personally, I really can’t see Evie dying. She seems too cautious and intelligent to allow herself to die. In addition, she appears to be one step ahead of everything to get killed off so easily. Although, it’s possible her love for her brother could end in her demise – she’s so willing to save him all the time, she forgets to look after herself.

Theory Four: Jacob dies, Evie lives

This is where things get interesting. There are multiple ways this could end, and I do wholeheartedly believe if a twin has to die, it’s going to be Jacob for a number of reasons. For starters, it’s emphasized that he doesn’t like change (romanticist view vs. enlightenment view of Evie). Secondly, he’s the brash and reckless one, who only appears to serve himself. And finally, it’s shown in the trailers he has no concept of planning ahead, and likes action (blowing stuff up, beating people up etc)

Jacob is murdered by his Rooks (Jon Snow or Julius Caesar style). The Rooks feel he has served his purpose and so they turn against him. Either that or they feel he has become so consumed with power, that he can no longer be trusted to lead the way (possibly Rooks killing Jacob and Evie finds the Shroud to try and resurrect her brother). I think is a highly likely when analyzing the trailers.

There’s a scene in which Jacob says, ‘as of this moment, you all work for us’ forcefully and Evie glances in his direction, seemingly confused/worried. Regarding his personality type, I do think he’s got a much higher chance of allowing himself to be corrupted by power. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, after all. Personally, this is the ending scenario I would love to see.

Jacob becomes consumed with power. It is stated on the official Ubisoft Syndicate website that Jacob only seeks to take control of London, and has little respect for the Creed’s teachings. I posted a few quotes earlier in this thread. Evie is forced to put her brother down before he damns them all.

Jacob rushes off into a mission and gets himself caught in a sticky situation with the Grand Master. Evie fails to reach him in time and is forced to watch her brother bleed out on the floor before her eyes.

Theory Five: Jacob becomes the Ripper after Evie dies then dies himself later on [DLC Jack the Ripper]

New DLC just got announced about Jack the Ripper. I'm thinking maybe Jacob does live and something happens to Evie (she dies). He has a mental breakdown, and decides to 'carry on his work again' and kill people. Kinda looks like an Assassin. Ooo, the possibilities. The question is... if this is true, then do you play as Jacob or does he become an NPC you have to kill? Of course, there is a possibility that this isn't even Jacob, and it's just some copycat killer inspired by Jacob Frye's work.

Theory to support Jacob becoming the Ripper - he's already a brutal efficient killer, and he hits women too. The Ripper was never caught... Jacob would have the skills to evade capture being an Assassin an all...

On the other hand, both twins could be alive, but the war against the Blighters changed Jacob's mindset. He grew to love the violence too much, and decided he missed the thrills of killing people. So he starts up his work again, eliminating the 'filth' (the prostitutes) in the streets. Evie and Henry team up to catch him and finally lay her brother to rest. No one knew why the Ripper suddenly stopped. Maybe he was assassinated in the dark. I like this idea very much.

Another theory - Jacob does die in Syndicate, but gets resurrected thanks to the Shroud. However, what is dead shouldn't be brought back, and Jacob returns with the new identity - Jack the Ripper. When you closely analyze the trailer, the Ripper's appearance, posture and quotes, all point to Jacob Frye. The only thing that counters this argument is - the eye colour and voice not matching. This could simply be a copycat or a rogue Assassin.

Read From Hell by Alan Moore for a better idea.

Jacob is the Ripper vs Jacob is not the Ripper:

For

Has been shown to be a brutal killing machine

Hits women as much as he hits men

No respect for Creed and its teachings

Likes chaos and having fun

Posture and quotes seem very Jacob-like [I love my work and I can't wait to start again - this can be interpreted in a different light however]

Jack the Ripper was never found - Jacob being an Assassin would easily elude capture

Against

Wrong eye colour

Voice does not match up

Wouldn't kill women in cold blood unless he's lost his mind

"Dear Boss" letter - Jacob seems to be educated, and wouldn't have poor literacy skills [although its possible he might've gotten a Rook to write it for him]

Big defender of the working-class

Yup. I have way too much time on my hands, and am most likely over thinking it, but I love theorizing.

dxsxhxcx
09-15-2015, 03:20 PM
None will die because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to relive their memories, they have to be passed along the bloodline at some point, unless Abstergo started digging for bodies to collect DNA..

I-Like-Pie45
09-15-2015, 04:15 PM
jacob and evie kiss and walk off into the smogset holding hands

ze_topazio
09-15-2015, 04:27 PM
jacob and evie kiss and walk off into the smogset holding hands

Best theory so far.

I-Like-Pie45
09-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Best theory so far.

its actually a very subtle allegory to gay rights, immigration reform, and world peace in these times of international strife

VestigialLlama4
09-15-2015, 05:17 PM
None will die because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to relive their memories, they have to be passed along the bloodline at some point, unless Abstergo started digging for bodies to collect DNA..

As a result of Black Flag's Data Dump Scanner they can do just that, they manage to relive the lives of Edward, Desmond's ancestor, by harvesting DNA from Desmond's body after his death. They are also trying to do that with the John from IT guy. It is possible in theory to relieve the life of a protagonist to his dying moments. In fact its likely that they got Shay's memories from his body.

Of course there's the question of bodies decaying but the fact is if bodies are well preserved (i.e. not left to rot like Germain in UNITY) you can do tests on them, like they are doing tests on Egyptian mummies and they managed to do a lot of tests on the body of Richard III which was recently found. The Victorian Era is much more recent, so you can theoretically go grave robbing.

As for theories on the ending, I think with Syndicate, Ubisoft want it to be open. I think they realized that they made a mistake with killing off Elise and the main purpose of this game is to be a jaunty adventure story, so I'd be surprised if any of the twins died, though if it turns out to be Evie, well it would confirm once and for all, and leave no ambiguity whatsoever, that Ubisoft clearly has a problem with women.

I don't think either of the twins is Jack the Ripper, I think this is somebody separate.

AherasSTRG
09-15-2015, 05:54 PM
At the end of Syndicate Jacob commits a violent assassination (for revenge or hate) defying the word of Henry.

The Assassins ostracize him. With Evie's loyalty also in question, she is tasked with the assassination of her twin brother. She lets him live and Jacob changes his name and leaves London.

20 years later the deranged Jacob returns to London to exact his revenge. Evie, who recognises the killer behind the murders decides to step in and work with Scotland Yard in an effort to stop her brother once and for all.

Both Evie and Jacob are alive at the end of Syndicate. In the DLC we play as an older Evie. Both of them die at the end of the DLC with Evie and Jacob leaving at least one orphan each behind.

strigoi1958
09-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Who knows ? but we'll find out soon :D maybe Jacob does something wrong and redeems himself by sacrificing himself to save Evie... as he lays dying, she comforts him and forgives him

RA503
09-15-2015, 06:55 PM
As I posted in the other tread,in regarding the plot,the AC publicity is full of red hearrings,remember AC Unity, trailers and commercial who made people think that the assassins is in favor of the revolution...

I need to re read From Hell,I Hope they take influences from the comic,not the movie that cut all the cool stuff like Jack gain time travelling powers in the end and cause world war 2 ...

Sorrosyss
09-15-2015, 07:04 PM
Honestly, I'd happily take an ending where they both live, and win. For too many titles now the Templars have won, would be nice to see an Assassin glory for a change. After repeated endings where we end up losing a major character, would be nice to actually get to the end of this one intact for a change. :p

One thing is for sure, they can't both die as neither has yet had a child - if we are assuming that an actual blood sample has been used (Who knows with Helix).

Many people have put the "Jacob the Ripper" theory out there since his name was revealed. I totally get the story potential of the twins battling to the death, but I'm not sure I see it. As others have said, that's definitely a different voice actor for Jack, and it doesn't sound similar in tone either. I'll eat my hood, and say that it is someone completely different. And as with Black Flag and Freedom Cry, I think we will play as a new Assassin in the dlc as well - perhaps as Henry Green - given the continued connections to India.

I'm probably completely wrong, but that's my take on it anyhoo. ;)

BananaBlighter
09-15-2015, 07:06 PM
If the Rooks are loyal to Jacob and he does in fact become Jack the Ripper, then at least we'll have something to beat up instead of just doing tailing missions and eavesdropping. It is possible that at the end of the main campaign, Evie is forced to kill him but lets him live, he goes to India, and that's where those extra 10 missions take place. By the end of those ten missions we find why he decides to return and become Jack. Or even better, we don't know Jack is Jacob (or why) until the end of the season pass campaign when everything gets explained.

I personally doubt this, though it would be awesome.

RA503
09-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Jack the Ripper is possessed by the father of understanding...

king-hailz
09-15-2015, 07:53 PM
If Jacob dies I think it will be really interesting to see Evie's aftermath, maybe he dies because of the assassins and she goes away from her strong beliefs in the assassins. Also the other way round would be to see Evie die with Jacob becoming a proper assassin like she was(This one seems cliche though...)

Hans684
09-15-2015, 08:03 PM
He's the Sage trying to make a body for Juno a head of schedule but I agree. I don't want happy endings but it's Yolahem and he ain't much a fan of dark stories. His interview with Loomer cleared that out.

I-Like-Pie45
09-15-2015, 08:16 PM
jack the ripper is really jacob and evie's love child, whose pent up parental issues and possible genetic mental illness are the reason for his murderous rampages

RVSage
09-16-2015, 01:31 AM
I am not sure, if Jacob is Jack, But I am somewhat sure, the shroud is linked to Jack the Ripper, We can keep guessing, It might turn out entirely normal too. But we will have to wait and see

UbiJustin
09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
I love this thread. Please continue while I break out a giant tub of popcorn.

dimbismp
09-16-2015, 10:26 PM
He's the Sage trying to make a body for Juno a head of schedule but I agree. I don't want happy endings but it's Yolahem and he ain't much a fan of dark stories. His interview with Loomer cleared that out.
That's not cool...

Sorrosyss
09-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Well, Clay painted his mad visions in blood on walls too. Sage confirmed. :p

LoyalACFan
09-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Killing off Jacob would be the smart thing to do if they want to pull Evie into the spotlight and prove that her inclusion was more than just PC damage control. And it would also be a nice way to shake up the typical "brash hero dude saves the day" formula.

strigoi1958
09-17-2015, 02:29 AM
Killing off Jacob would be the smart thing to do if they want to pull Evie into the spotlight and prove that her inclusion was more than just PC damage control. And it would also be a nice way to shake up the typical "brash hero dude saves the day" formula.

I hope they both live as I'd like an Evie game with a cameo from Jacob...

LoyalACFan
09-17-2015, 10:44 PM
he goes to India, and that's where those extra 10 missions take place.

Fat chance of that. No way they're making a map in an entirely different country they have no preexisting assets for (ACC India doesn't count), just for the sake of a handful of DLC missions.

Although, the British Raj could be seen as the next logical step for the 2016 game. They could even keep the same cockney enemy dialogue yet again :rolleyes:

Ureh
09-17-2015, 10:49 PM
I hope they both live as I'd like an Evie game with a cameo from Jacob...

Maybe give him a reason to retire instead... he became crippled or he's just sick and tired fighting or perhaps all he ever wanted was wealth and then he quits. Yeah stuff like that.

strigoi1958
09-17-2015, 11:35 PM
Retired through injury.... hmm that could work... I thought AC3 might have had a female assassin after the Ezio trilogy ... it's good we have one now as Evie but a full game would be even better. Set in Egypt or India would be brilliant as well 8^) but after the movie perhaps the next setting is Spain ???