PDA

View Full Version : Semi-transparent walls & refresh rates

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 09:44 PM
What the hell,even after patching Splinter Cell and updating the latest video card drivers,I still seem to be having this problem. Objects like doors, Sam Fischer himself (as well as other NPCs), some walls, and other surfaces seem to be somewhat transparents. Entities like lights and other visual effects appear to show through said surfaces (albeit dulled,almost as if a semi-transparent effect was happening). I tried just about every configuration of different settings and still no luck. If anyone has expierenced this or knows how to cure it,help would be appreciated.

Also,my screen seems to be "shaking" during Splinter Cell. I don't have this problem running any other games (newer ones included) at 1024x768. My monitor is only at 60 hertz (otherwise if I set it up any higher,even on the desktop I get the whole "shaking" effect). Does anyone know if there is some kind of .ini file that I can edit to change the refresh rate?

All help is appreciated.

XyZspineZyX
07-15-2003, 09:44 PM
What the hell,even after patching Splinter Cell and updating the latest video card drivers,I still seem to be having this problem. Objects like doors, Sam Fischer himself (as well as other NPCs), some walls, and other surfaces seem to be somewhat transparents. Entities like lights and other visual effects appear to show through said surfaces (albeit dulled,almost as if a semi-transparent effect was happening). I tried just about every configuration of different settings and still no luck. If anyone has expierenced this or knows how to cure it,help would be appreciated.

Also,my screen seems to be "shaking" during Splinter Cell. I don't have this problem running any other games (newer ones included) at 1024x768. My monitor is only at 60 hertz (otherwise if I set it up any higher,even on the desktop I get the whole "shaking" effect). Does anyone know if there is some kind of .ini file that I can edit to change the refresh rate?

All help is appreciated.

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 05:07 AM
You have to set the application/performance slider (if using nvidia) to application as stated in the readme file. Also you must remove all antialaising and atmosphereric filtering if using either nvidia or ATI.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
1 gig of Corsair DDR PC2700 RAM @333Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro video w/TV out core @434, mem @720
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
Antec TruePower TrueBlue True480 PSU
16x Antec DVD drive
24x10x40 Plexwriter CD-RW
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive, master
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd, slave
XFX KT400 ALH Via mainboard, 4-in-1 4.48
All in my modded "Spiderman" case!

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 06:38 AM
Alright,well I disabled AA in the ATI control panel. That seemed to work fine. I do not have the transparency problem....But now the game looks rather poor,at least sub-par to my standards.The jagged edges are getting rather annoying. Is there anyway I can play the game with Anti-Aliasing AND have no transparentness? Perhaps the OMEGA Catalyst drivers might work better?

By the way,I am using an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128 MB). I saw that you were using a Radeon 9800 Pro,which is similiar to the 9700. What do you do to make the game look good and not have texture anamolies?

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Ok, I'll give you some tips. First off, since you have an awsome video card, why aren't you running the game at higher resolutions? I find it performs better at 1280x1024. Anther odd thing, is at that resolution, I'm able to run 6x AA and 16x AF, I don't know if it's a bug or what, but it does clean the jaggies up pretty well, but not as good as it would on 1600, but my monitor doesn't support that.

Next off, in your video card settings, try pushing all the sliders to performance and the trueform/vsink to app. pref. That adds speed to games, and it doesn't look all that bad compared to the quality settings. I've noticed a little difference in running the two different settings in Conflict: Desert Storm, but it's mostly a blur issue.

If you want to, you can try a little overclocking like I'm doing, and that'll push your performance to the max, but you have to be careful.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
1 gig of Corsair DDR PC2700 RAM @333Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro video w/TV out core @434, mem @720
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
Antec TruePower TrueBlue True480 PSU
16x Antec DVD drive
24x10x40 Plexwriter CD-RW
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive, master
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd, slave
XFX KT400 ALH Via mainboard, 4-in-1 4.48