PDA

View Full Version : Ships Sinking to fast..

LittlePecker2
08-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Hmm, just got done watching the homemade video from the german convention.... an aircraft carrier takes a torpedo or two and sinks in a matter of seconds....with all this development u would think a ships size and buoyance would be taken into consideration, especially concerning the amount of time it would take for the ship to sink relative to the damage taken....carriers, and even smaller ships usually took hours to sink. Just one of my pet peeves with subsims...other than that this game looks fantastic!

LittlePecker2
08-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Hmm, just got done watching the homemade video from the german convention.... an aircraft carrier takes a torpedo or two and sinks in a matter of seconds....with all this development u would think a ships size and buoyance would be taken into consideration, especially concerning the amount of time it would take for the ship to sink relative to the damage taken....carriers, and even smaller ships usually took hours to sink. Just one of my pet peeves with subsims...other than that this game looks fantastic!

negus1
08-26-2004, 02:17 AM
The presentation showed a game with low realism settings (therefore they were able to attack even on surface).

The presentation was supposed to show sinking behaviour of ships. For this purpose ships had to sink quickly. I think the presentation was very well prepared because it showed a lot of the game without being too long.

"Negus 1 an alle kleinen Br├╝der, wir greifen an! Kameraden, dicht aufschlie├čen zum Sturmangriff! Die Begleitgruppe aufpassen auf Indianer. Wir machen Pauke, Pauke; nur die Ruhe, Kameraden, alles mir nach!"
Maj. Dahl JG 300

U1409
08-26-2004, 02:28 AM
I know what you mean, but I do not think either of us have to worry about it. The demos are usually run in a casual mode with realism turned down - spectators don't wait for hours at a demo booth. The devs seems to handle this title very professionally, and I would be surprised indeed if they slip on this issue.

sav112
08-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Aye I took it as read that was just for the demo, it went down like a lead weight.

TASKFORCE1x1
08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
The aircraft carriers of today are double hulled. In WWII they weren't. Back in the war there would be cargo like 5-ton ingots where that ship with such a cargo would sink faster than one with timber or even sugar.

Again with aircraft carriers, they were only single hulled in WWII. Remeber also that the dev team showed secondary explosions. The keel could of been fractured and such. Maybe not enough to split the ship in two but maybe just enough that it would sink faster. Also there is an issue of time frame for which the camera man was taping the convention. The video must of been edited. There is some proof of this throught the video. Some things were deleted as to get the real points across. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Keep on Smiling'

Shan_Hackett
08-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Have to remember, the dev' team said they haven't modelled sink-rates, based on internal cargo contents, but they said they may consider it once the main features (Dynamic campaign) have been completed.

Fingers crossed. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif

Profy_le_Troll
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Too fast yup a little too fast but don't forget hood didn't sunk in hours, only a few minuts and she was diving down.

Shan_Hackett
08-26-2004, 11:05 AM
My late grandfather had "Two" ships torpedoed from beneath him.
his 1st ship was a destroyer, which sank within 5 mins. (From his brief account - He didnt like talking about it, and getting any info was mostly too painful for him. There was no detonation upon impact, probadly a "Dud", but the impact punchered amidships, between bulkheads.)

His 2nd was a cruiser, and while it didnt sink, it was forced to leave the convoy and return to port, with 1/2 its bow missing, and was in dry-dock for over 6 months.

HeibgesU999
08-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I was reading an entry from Kretschmer's KBT and he sank 3 large merchants and not one of them took more than a minute to sink. He says that 2 of them sank almost immediately.

My father was on the Presidential Liner Calvin Coolidge on the way to Guadalcanal when it hit an ALLIED mine and sunk. They lost all their equipment, were covered in oil, and my dad had some pictures of the entire 172nd RCT naked except for some palm leaves.