PDA

View Full Version : The Expanded Universe - Potential Expansions of the Franchise

Sorrosyss
09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
By expanded universe, I refer to anything outside of the main core game releases.

As an IP, Assassin's Creed is a rich textured universe that has so much potential for new and interesting stories. We do after all, have all of history to play with. Let's have a look at some areas outside of the game where we can have fun as well.

Literature

http://i.imgur.com/DqjymdW.png

For several game releases now we have had tie in novels that expand existing characters. This continues with Syndicate, with a novel focused around Henry Green. It is a good avenue for book reading fans to enjoy the series in another medium, and allows other writers to flesh out the story of some of our beloved heroes. Or in some cases, close off some existing plotlines.

There is quite a rich collection of comics as well, with the excellent Subject 4 / Orelov series. Again, this continues with the new Titan comic series which will explore a new setting, the Salem Witch Trials of colonial Massachusetts.

Movies

http://i.imgur.com/PB3XqJ6.png

Work has recently begun on the first Assassin's Creed movie. As many expected, it is a fresh story with new characters and settings that have not been covered by the series. I feel it is important for the medium to introduce the concepts of the franchise to non gamers, and seperating them out from the entangled Desmond storyline was in my mind a very smart move.

I look forward to where this leads, as if it is successful it may spawn a succession of sequels for everyone to enjoy. It may also lead to...

TV Shows

http://i.imgur.com/xSzo6nF.png

Just imagine what a tv show could achieve? Over the last few years we have seen TV shows adjusting from their episodic nature, to trying to integrate overarching stories across a series length. In my view this is an excellent medium for Assassin's Creed, with the multi tiered timelines allowing for some very layered storytelling. A TV show I watched recently called Continuum handles time travel, and multiple timelines very well - so it can be done.

Cameos - Ubiverse

http://i.imgur.com/81tmiM2.png

From the WW2 Abstergo bunker in Far Cry 3, to the Olivier Garneau appearance in Watch Dogs, Ubisoft likes to put cameos of Assassin's Creed in it's other works. Whilst the authenticity of these crossovers is a debated canon, I still feel it is a nice touch that makes their games feel a little more connected. I have no doubts that The Division will feature some reference somewhere.

Spinoff Games

http://i.imgur.com/01eSsNy.png

The Chronicles games can be very much be considered spinoff titles. For starters the gameplay model is completely different, as a 2D stealth platformer. They do allow for stories to be expanded, and for new locations to be attempted though. But what else could we see? Many expected Ubisoft to spin off the modern day of Assassin's Creed, after all, Watch Dogs covered the modern day requirements pretty well. Perhaps a first person shooter by the Far Cry team?

Collectibles

http://i.imgur.com/YRqBjEQ.png

Whilst this is not technically a narrative area, the collectibles of the franchise continue to grow. We have action figures that are inspired by the series, such as the McFarlane vision figure, and we have a variety of hoods and jewelry from Ubicollectibles that are based off many in game equivalents.

Theme Parks / Events

http://i.imgur.com/PVKNGtK.png

At E3 for the past few years we had the Assassin's Creed Experience, with a fun obstacle course for people to play out their parkour fantasies. But it doesn't stop there, with plans for a Malaysia theme park in 2020. We also had The Tour, that allowed players to get a hands on of a demo of Syndicate, but also featured other activies such as tattoos and novelty photo opportunities. Could we potentially see a full scale fan event, akin to Blizzcon?

All in all, there are some fun things within the franchise outside of playing the games. What do you enjoy? What would you like to see more of?

EmbodyingSeven5
09-13-2015, 04:06 PM
All for more ubiverse. I love it. I've debated multiple times whether or not Aiden,Ajay and Jason have first civ DNA.

If the moive is successful, I would also love to see more.

VestigialLlama4
09-13-2015, 04:11 PM
There is quite a rich collection of comics as well, with the excellent Subject 4 / Orelov series. Again, this continues with the new Titan comic series which will explore a new setting, the Salem Witch Trials of colonial Massachusetts.

Well I wish you put a separate category for comics since its not exactly literature. I don't think the Oliver Bowden novels were good but it might have been better if they had put that in comic format. Of course its more expensive to do a comics than a novel. I didn't care for the Daniel Cross books at all, I liked Cross as a character and the MD plot but I hated Nikolai Orelov who's this cliche'd foreign character whose main trait and problem is "I'm Russian". The only decent comic is Brahman, that was an excellent, long story, great characters and it was something that worked in the comic format.

If AC can do more comics like Brahman than it would be excellent. That is to say, canon stories that allow for unusual kinds of stories and unique characters outside the main continuity. Expanded Universe shouldn't just be about fanservice and filling in the blanks.

I look forward to where this leads, as if it is successful it may spawn a succession of sequels for everyone to enjoy.

I don't know, I find the entire concept and approach taken very bad but yes theoretically a good AC movie can be made.

Just imagine what a tv show could achieve? Over the last few years we have seen TV shows adjusting from their episodic nature, to trying to integrate overarching stories across a series length. In my view this is an excellent medium for Assassin's Creed, with the multi tiered timelines allowing for some very layered storytelling.

Not really, the budget on TV Shows would never be able to do justice to AC and TV is not a good medium in my view.

The Chronicles games can be very much be considered spinoff titles. For starters the gameplay model is completely different, as a 2D stealth platformer. They do allow for stories to be expanded, and for new locations to be attempted though. But what else could we see?

Well Patrice Desilets wanted to do the original AC spinoff, his game called 1666 which would have been a historical adventure story with new gameplay and a new approach. I think Ubisoft should think about making historical game spinoffs since that would allow them to take a break from annualization. I am very sure that they are making a Naval IP since obviously not every AC can accomodate that and its only a matter of time before someone puts out a new IP with AC's sailing mechanic but without the baggage so they need to check them in advance.

All in all, there are some fun things within the franchise outside of playing the games. What do you enjoy? What would you like to see more of?

To be totally frank, I don't think AC has fulfilled more than 4% of its potential as games, so before spinning off, they should go back to their fundamentals. Too many people want to be Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny, there are more Mickey Mouse merchandise compared to number of good cartoons whereas Bugs Bunny's classic cartoons are still seen and loved across the world, alongside his merchandise.

SixKeys
09-13-2015, 05:43 PM
I only voted for public events. The Star Player stuff and the Syndicate Tour were great ideas - engaging fans, allowing them to try demos hands-on, talk to the developers etc. Events where fans can give their opinions about the games and have their questions answered. Theme parks and obstacle courses are just distractions, they won't improve the games. And if the games don't improve, the fanbase will diminish.

Collectibles are getting ridiculous with all the different special editions, although I do like the ones with more thought put into them like the blood vials, Desmond hoodie and Apple of Eden. Those kinds of collectibles I would like to see more of. Stuff that references the games but not as overtly as statues and figurines. Stuff that hardcore fans might recognize as being from a game but "ordinary" people wouldn't. So I would like collectibles too, but only if it was high-quality, unique stuff like that, not cheap prints and T-shirts.

Altair1789
09-13-2015, 06:30 PM
I'd rather they keep it to games and books only. Especially not a TV show

Xstantin
09-13-2015, 09:39 PM
More art books if it counts as collectibles (you can find more stuff like concept art around the Internet sometimes). Don't really care about the rest

I-Like-Pie45
09-13-2015, 10:35 PM
so basically, fanfiction

Sushiglutton
09-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Movies. I really like movies in general and looking forward to the AC one!

EmbodyingSeven5
09-13-2015, 11:55 PM
I want a Farcry/AC crossover! I want to invade one of Abstergos excluded research islands!

Mr.Black24
09-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Literature

http://i.imgur.com/DqjymdW.png

For several game releases now we have had tie in novels that expand existing characters. This continues with Syndicate, with a novel focused around Henry Green. It is a good avenue for book reading fans to enjoy the series in another medium, and allows other writers to flesh out the story of some of our beloved heroes. Or in some cases, close off some existing plotlines.

The problem I hope Ubisoft addresses is that their lore can be heavily inconsistent at times. For example, John de La Tour was supposedly the first Assassin in the colonies, but the Assassin in the Salem Witch Trials proves otherwise. If anything, this makes Achilles remark on how long the Assassins's presences had been in America much more valid than what we seen in Rogue.

Plus, they have to stop with the idea of having 3/4 of a character in the books. Like Arno for example, in the novel and the Abstergo book, there was so much more substance to his character that completely made sense in how he acted in the game. Not many will read these books, and will simply leave with the impression that was left in the game, not realizing there was so much more than what we had seen. People were really robbed of the true experience that day.

TV Shows

http://i.imgur.com/xSzo6nF.png

Just imagine what a tv show could achieve? Over the last few years we have seen TV shows adjusting from their episodic nature, to trying to integrate overarching stories across a series length. In my view this is an excellent medium for Assassin's Creed, with the multi tiered timelines allowing for some very layered storytelling. A TV show I watched recently called Continuum handles time travel, and multiple timelines very well - so it can be done. Some people say that a TV show can't do Assassin's Creed, however after seeing the show Sons of Liberty, I can't help but scream "Where is Connor?" at the show, as its very well done. Even the soundtrack for it was awesome, as it was made by Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmerman. Heck it had some of AC3's theme in the main theme of the show!

[

kosmoscreed
09-14-2015, 04:37 AM
For me it will be a TV show, outside games, TV shows are the form of entertainment that makes me more engaged. A live action TV show will be difficult to make and you have to deal with ratings anyway, maybe an animation show will be easy to pull.

RVSage
09-14-2015, 05:45 AM
In my opinion I would have preferred a tv series to movies

1. Each season can be an era.

2. I would have cast Michael emerson(LOST, Person of Interest) as shawn. :P He is an awesome actor

A TV show can be more friendly to a new comer than a movie, you do not need to fir everything within 2-3 hours

It would have given the lore more scope to expand

VestigialLlama4
09-14-2015, 06:27 AM
In my opinion I would have preferred a tv series to movies

1. Each season can be an era.

2. I would have cast Michael emerson(LOST, Person of Interest) as shawn. :P He is an awesome actor

A TV show can be more friendly to a new comer than a movie, you do not need to fir everything within 2-3 hours

It would have given the lore more scope to expand

TV shows have smaller budget than movies. They still do even in the supposed golden age these days. Take Game of Thrones which still contains a lot of the action in the books to a few fixed locations.

And you know movies can get to the heart of things since they don't have to indulge in padding just to use a name actor in a few alloted episodes per season.

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-16-2015, 02:30 AM
Game spinoffs and public events would be nice.

I would stay away from movies and TV shows unless they're pretty sure they can REALLY nail it.

Don't wanna another Hitman or "American" Resident Evil tragedy.

AND STAY AWAY FROM ADDING MORE COLLECTIBLES UBI!

dxsxhxcx
09-16-2015, 02:48 PM
comics published on a quarterly basis (with side stories to make the in game universe richer AND DON'T be used to explain things that were supposed to be in the games) and (immersive) websites such as the Abstergo website are the way to go...

Theme Parks/Events don't interest me, I'm yet to see a good movie about a video game, a TV show would suck and would probably be dropped after some time, collectibles don't interest meČ, cameos/easter eggs are fine AS LONG AS they keep it to a minimum and are irrelevant, spinoff games are just another way to milk the franchise and (IMO) waste potential good settings and characters, so I rather not go that route as well.