PDA

View Full Version : Academy magic needs a small adjustment

HFresch
09-12-2015, 11:32 AM
With my experience in the beta, where I gave all the hero types across all factions a test, I found that the magic heroes of Academy had a small issue.

All the other factions have more control over what elements they gain spells from, having one element allocated from the faction, and one allocated by the player. In example, a magic hero of Sylvan may have skill trees from earth and water magic, and I could conveniently set the magic guilds to guarantee spells from those two elements.

The Academy, however, are supposed to excel in all the schools of magic, and so they do not have any element guaranteed from the faction. This means I have more control over the Magic Guilds in all other factions than Academy, despite them supposedly being the best magic faction.

I know Academy gets one more spell per circle in the city, but I don't think that is enough, because chances are that spell will be useless to your hero anyway, since you're focusing on different schools.

Feel free to discuss this opinion of mine in this thread. I'm curious to see what others think.

RobvD84
09-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Well like i said in another thread. I think they should have done it like H4 only a bit different. You should be able (atleast with academy) to choose 3 magic schools that are present in your magic school, the rest of the spells are random. This means that with tier 1 and 2 magic guild you always have these 3 magic school spells + some random ones. With tier 3 and 4 you have these 3 magic schools + 1 random spell. I also think we need more tier 3 and 4 spells. But i don't really know this untill the game has been released.

Vasily.Tkach
09-14-2015, 03:30 PM
with academy you garantee lvl4 spell of your magic school choice, so its fair
2 lvl4 spells with labriary and both of your magic school choices - op

RobvD84
09-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Meh it still feels like there is missing something. Maybe this is also partly because some spells feel the same (and some look the same). Anyway i still think we have too many schools. And with the H4 magic school system (doesn't have to be completely the same, could be a bit different, but the main concept should stay the same) i think you have a better balance of getting the spells you want. But atleast i think academy should be able to choose 2 schools, since it doesn't have a main school like other factions has.

disturbed338
09-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Yeah, the current spell system is kind of a mess...Academy has issue with spells from 1 to 3 but always gets the level 4 spell they want...and the other factions have more control on 1-3 but are never sure what they get for the 4th...

Kind of a lazy way to balance it if you ask me...

pelicland
09-15-2015, 05:20 PM
I would say that it is the fact that academy studies more than other so they choose their best spells more wisely than others...