PDA

View Full Version : Grammy-Nomitated composer Austin Wintory is the composer for Syndicate

Alphacos007
09-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Just posted on Ubi blog: Austin Wintory, composer for Journey and nominated to the Grammy awards is the composer for AC Syndicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uVOZY-QKHQ

Very good choice IMO. I'm excited to hear more of the game's OST now.

SixKeys
09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Q4z0ltl.gif

OH MY GOD

AUSTIN WINTORY

The composer of Journey and Banner Saga!!!

This soundtrack is going to be amazing

RVSage
09-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Holyyyy, he is a GOD with piano and cello.... EXCITED WOOWWWW

ze_topazio
09-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Sounds good, but wasn't the composer supposed to be British or something?

king-hailz
09-10-2015, 06:23 PM
That was anti climactic... He is good and this sounds okay, but everything other than the slow piano bit sounds generic and boring... I guess it's good for everyone else but it's just not for me...

SixKeys
09-10-2015, 06:34 PM
That was anti climactic... He is good and this sounds okay, but everything other than the slow piano bit sounds generic and boring... I guess it's good for everyone else but it's just not for me...

Just in case you haven't heard him at his best, here's a sample of what he can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypNgvc6c6Cc

CrossedEagle
09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
This announcement has probably got me the most excited for Syndicate out of them all. I played through Journey a couple of days ago and I adored the music. I actually had the soundtrack way before I had the game.

Kaschra
09-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Oh my...
This is great news! I treally love Journey's OST, so I'm really happy about this!

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-11-2015, 12:10 AM
BNOTUREHNBIOUNRTOIHBERTYNMERTY
BGTERUIBHEORTBMETNBTYENRTY
GBTEIRUVNRT
GBTIJREOBJVORTEMVOERTW

https://teamtcast.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/stephen-colbert-report-excited.gif

POMGGGGGGGGGGG
OMGGGGG
YUSSSSSSS

JOURNEY'S COMPOSER WORKING ON SYNDICATE!?!??!?!!?

*faints*

*dies*

*resurrects*

God I love Journey's soundtrack !!!!!!!!!!

Sorrosyss
09-11-2015, 12:46 AM
I had a feeling it was a newcomer to the franchise. Certainly from the brief snippets we have heard it seems very fitting for the Victorian era. Look forward to hearing the final soundtrack. :)

HDinHB
09-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks to a Loomer retweet of an Austin Wintory tweet:

Austin Wintory ‏@awintory 2 hours ago
I tossed the @assassinscreed Syndicate main theme on soundcloud, for those interested :)

https://soundcloud.com/awintory

Xstantin
09-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Awesome news

Farlander1991
09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Hm, no references to Ezio's theme in the main theme. I wonder if it's because the theme is about the family, and if Ezio's theme will still be used as a Brotherhood theme.

To be honest, I'll be kinda disappointed now if it won't. AC music as a series lacks theming across the games (the closest we got was Templar's theme being the same in ACR and AC3 due to Lorne Balfe working on both of them), which, you know, on one hand is not really an issue, but on another one they try sometimes to have it connect, but not go all the way, and it feels disjointed, musically-wise.

Aphex_Tim
09-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Hm, no references to Ezio's theme in the main theme. I wonder if it's because the theme is about the family, and if Ezio's theme will still be used as a Brotherhood theme.

To be honest, I'll be kinda disappointed now if it won't. AC music as a series lacks theming across the games (the closest we got was Templar's theme being the same in ACR and AC3 due to Lorne Balfe working on both of them), which, you know, on one hand is not really an issue, but on another one they try sometimes to have it connect, but not go all the way, and it feels disjointed, musically-wise.

I don't think it needs to in the main theme. While I agree that having a certain theme throughout all games would be good, (AC3 pulled this off pretty well by referencing some AC:R soundtrack here and there), a new game shouldn't re-use previous main themes. It should have a main theme that fits the new setting and characters and sets the atmosphere for the game. Makes the game it's own thing.
Ezio's theme is a big part of what made the Ezio games what they are. Then we moved on to Connor and Edward, each with their own new themes. Then when Unity and Rogue suddenly used Ezio's theme again, it felt very out of place to me. Even though Unity was a little more subtle about it.
Rogue wasn't even trying. It felt like Ubisoft was saying "Hey guys, remember Ezio!? The immensely popular character we're desperately trying to recreate but simply can't so we're just gonna re use his soundtrack?!?"
Both these games ended up having a very unmemorable soundtrack because of that. They didn't really have their own thing going for them.

Point being, this is excellent as a main theme but I wouldn't mind some references to previous sub themes. It would likely benefit the game.

Farlander1991
09-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Ezio's theme is a big part of what made the Ezio games what they are. Then we moved on to Connor and Edward, each with their own new themes. Then when Unity and Rogue suddenly used Ezio's theme again, it felt very out of place to me. Even though Unity was a little more subtle about it.

Well, Unity, Rogue AND Chronicles China ;) Anyway, I agree that Ezio's theme, is, well, Ezio's theme and reusing it is a bit out of place. But if there was a decision to reuse it as a theme of the Brotherhood, and that decision was made for several games already, just stopping this would make things feel even more disjointed.

Btw, regarding Edward, while I love AC4's soundtrack, my biggest disappointment is that it didn't have any variation on the Kenway family theme. AC3 has the same theme (with different variations) for Haytham (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYZ-yGAnCw) and Connor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9C2SknMy0), and musically one of the things that I waited for the most would be to hear the more swashbuckly-piratey variation of it for Edward. But there was none, not even hints of it. That was disappointing :(

Both these games ended up having a very unmemorable soundtrack because of that. They didn't really have their own thing going for them.

I like both Unity's and Rogue's soundtracks. They have a lot of unique and/or cool themes and tracks that fit their games.

GunnerGalactico
09-11-2015, 09:51 AM
I can't believe that they got him to do the soundtrack for Syndicate. I'm really excited about this.

Aphex_Tim
09-11-2015, 10:34 AM
I like both Unity's and Rogue's soundtracks. They have a lot of unique and/or cool themes and tracks that fit their games.

Sorry, I meant the main themes, not the entire soundtrack. I agree Unity definitely had a couple of standouts. It's just that I can't even remember the main theme, other than that Ezio's theme was woven in there somewhere.
Rogue however seemed to just blatantly use Ezio's theme as its main theme, which kinda rubbed me the wrong way... I've only played through Rogue once though about 6 or 7 months ago so I can't really comment on the entire soundtrack as I just don't remember any of it.

Btw, regarding Edward, while I love AC4's soundtrack, my biggest disappointment is that it didn't have any variation on the Kenway family theme. AC3 has the same theme (with different variations) for Haytham (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYZ-yGAnCw) and Connor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9C2SknMy0), and musically one of the things that I waited for the most would be to hear the more swashbuckly-piratey variation of it for Edward. But there was none, not even hints of it. That was disappointing :(

That is kind of a missed opportunity now that you mention it. Might've connected the Kenway saga a little more. I absolutely adore Black Flag but the game does feel kinda stand-alone. I constantly had to remind myself I was playing as Haytham's dad/Connor's granddad, even though the bloke was called Kenway.

Farlander1991
09-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Sorry, I meant the main themes, not the entire soundtrack. I agree Unity definitely had a couple of standouts. It's just that I can't even remember the main theme, other than that Ezio's theme was woven in there somewhere.
Rogue however seemed to just blatantly use Ezio's theme as its main theme, which kinda rubbed me the wrong way... I've only played through Rogue once though about 6 or 7 months ago so I can't really comment on the entire soundtrack as I just don't remember any of it.

Well, I remember Unity's main theme, though by this point I've listened to it quite a bit. I actually was pretty neutral to it at first, but then as I played the game started to really like it. I think the reason is because it's more lowkey than other themes we had, so it's not as memorable or noticeable on first listen.

Oh, and if there's one track you got to remember from Rogue, then it's this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GP6-lxxnlQ). It's awesome :p :D

That is kind of a missed opportunity now that you mention it. Might've connected the Kenway saga a little more. I absolutely adore Black Flag but the game does feel kinda stand-alone. I constantly had to remind myself I was playing as Haytham's dad/Connor's granddad, even though the bloke was called Kenway.

Now that I think about it, out of all themes that Rogue is reusing (it implements AC3's main theme into its own as well, for example), it doesn't reuse Haytham Kenway's theme when we meet him or the Templar theme from AC3, even though it happens right between AC3's two main sections.

ze_topazio
09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
I agree that one single musical theme to represent the entire series would be cool.

Like the Star Wars main theme, the Final Fantasy main theme, etc..., each entries in this series have their own themes but the series main theme is still used.

Sorrosyss
09-11-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm with Farlander on this one. I know Ezio's family is very much linked to AC2, but whenever you watch generic videos, or news items on the franchise, it's the go to theme music. Honestly I'm totally fine with it, as ze says, major franchises all have one. This may as well be ours, especially as it harkens back to the supposed fan favourite entry.

When I heard the theme in Rogue, Unity, and indeed ACC:China, I loved it. It's nostalgic, and I totally understand why. Thus, it's absence to Syndicate is a little sad, if true. (I haven't had chance to listen to it yet I should concede though)

VestigialLlama4
09-11-2015, 02:52 PM
AC music as a series lacks theming across the games ... which, you know, on one hand is not really an issue, but on another one they try sometimes to have it connect, but not go all the way, and it feels disjointed, musically-wise.

Perhaps but I don't know, the consequence of a franchise like AC that is unique for not really being tied to any single protagonist or story, is that you aren't really tied to one particular music and theme and that every new game and character has their own sound. I like that because its more reflective of the spirit of the games, that ultimately every person is different and everyone is a hero of their story.

And you know I think there being no real overarching single theme to the AC franchise is actually the point. After all Jesper Kyd did the scores of AC1 and AC2, two games, two separate protagonists and soundtracks that are totally different in style from each other. I think it was his intent (which counts since he's the composer which established the house style) that each protagonist have their own separate and individual music. And this was followed by Lorne Balfe on AC3 (an underrated score that is totally different from the Ezio games though resembling his good score for ACR slightly), likewise Bryan Tyler in Black Flag created his own score for Black Flag. It's only with the last three games - Unity, Rogue and Chronicles China - that AC2's music becomes upgraded to "theme" or what I would consider a talisman since it's clearly a manifestation of the irrational desire to make the next AC2 and Ezio by sheer voodoo and as such is not serving any aesthetic function.

Although I have to say that much as I like Black Flag's music for me the real soundtrack was the folk music (sea shanties/taverns) and I hoped that ubisoft would build on that for later games and although Unity does have some of the French Revolutionary songs in the taverns (though not in the actual streets where they were sung all the time), there's no sense that this corresponded to the age of Mozart (a Freemason who died a decade before the Revolution) or Vivaldi or other French composers. Is it the case that Ubisoft didn't want to shell out cash for an actual orchestra to perform these pieces? I wonder if they'll use real music for Syndicate since the English music hall was alive in 1868.

Sushiglutton
09-11-2015, 03:07 PM
"Nominated" ??? Couldn't they afford the winner :confused:

:p

Alphacos007
09-11-2015, 03:13 PM

http://33.media.tumblr.com/76270790ec13e30321ac48a466703869/tumblr_inline_mwmkyyUHIh1srd85z.jpg

Farlander1991
09-11-2015, 03:18 PM
After all Jesper Kyd did the scores of AC1 and AC2, two games, two separate protagonists and soundtracks that are totally different in style from each other.

AC2 still reuses some of AC1 score (and I'm not speaking of the Acre section in the game, but the Renaissance), and has some variations of AC1 score, for example AC2 has one or two variations of Acre Underworld from AC1 (one of my most favourite AC1 tracks). So even then, when the overall experience was widely different, music was reused/rearranged when it fit the christian, mystery or stealth motifs. Oh, and ACR has reused AC1 themes not just in sections with Altair, but in some Constantinople sections with Ezio as well, which is not entirely out of place but the point is it's still used for a different protagonist and time period.

And this was followed by Lorne Balfe on AC3 (an underrated score that is totally different from the Ezio games though resembling his good score for ACR slightly)

Balfe reuses the Templar theme he made for ACR in AC3, as well as the First Civ theme from ACR. Also for some reason Sofia's theme was used as the wedding music for Norris and Myriam.

I absolutely agree that each soundtrack should feel distinct, as we're talking about different protagonists, time eras, etc. At the same time, each game shares common elements and themes, some more than others. Music is a very strong instrument, and in AC we only have some slight dabbles in it - Jesper mixes up and reuses sometimes original AC1 music in AC2 and ACR for ambiance, Lorne reuses the themes he created for ACR in AC3. And ACU with ACRo have some quite arbitrary choices in what and how they're re-using (with the exception of putting AC3 theme elements in ACRo theme - I think that's a nice callback). There's no musical consistency, which can help create some very powerful moments.

For example, AC3 and AC4 are supposed to form a story of the Kenway family, only they absolutely don't have any musical connections.

It's like if for the Hobbit movie Howard Shore would decide to change the Hobbit and Shire theme, you know. He has Bilbo's theme which has his own unique sound, but the motifs that represent the serenity and courage of the Hobbits are still the same, albeit with variations unheard in LotR. I know we're talking about different composers here and everybody wants to make their own sound, and I'm all up for that. But musical theming can be a very strong tool, and as I've mentioned already, it's only experimented with but not used to in an extent that makes it matter, just makes it more disjointed.

bitebug2003
09-11-2015, 03:29 PM
I don't like the music

The violin while fighting on the roof of the train is annoying

In general I don't like violin solos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyi7gwNPJUQ

meh

VestigialLlama4
09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
AC2 still reuses some of AC1 score (and I'm not speaking of the Acre section in the game, but the Renaissance), and has some variations of AC1 score, for example AC2 has one or two variations of Acre Underworld from AC1 (one of my most favourite AC1 tracks). So even then, when the overall experience was widely different, music was reused/rearranged when it fit the christian, mystery or stealth motifs. Oh, and ACR has reused AC1 themes not just in sections with Altair, but in some Constantinople sections with Ezio as well, which is not entirely out of place but the point is it's still used for a different protagonist and time period.

Well in that respect I totally agree. I just don't think prominent main themes at the start or menu should be variation of Ezio's Family from AC2 that's all. Subtle assonance and internal reference is part of the composer's art after all.

It's like if for the Hobbit movie Howard Shore would decide to change the Hobbit and Shire theme, you know. He has Bilbo's theme which has his own unique sound, but the motifs that represent the serenity and courage of the Hobbits are still the same, albeit with variations unheard in LotR. I know we're talking about different composers here and everybody wants to make their own sound, and I'm all up for that. But musical theming can be a very strong tool, and as I've mentioned already, it's only experimented with but not used to in an extent that makes it matter, just makes it more disjointed.[/COLOR]

Its a consequence of annualization I feel. Far from keeping stylistic continuity on a yearly basis it kind of creates all these inconsistencies mostly because you have multiple teams working on different stuff at the same and nobody is sure how it coheres with what's coming out. And then if that game becomes a flop they start rethinking and change their initial ideas. I think Jesper Kyd meant this in an interview he gave recently about why he didn't do Revelations.

Alphacos007
09-11-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't like the music

The violin while fighting on the roof of the train is annoying

In general I don't like violin solos

meh

I do not like that segment specifically, sounds annoying indeed, but everything else I heard was pretty great. I hope there are more variations to the combat theme, not just this violin one.

Farlander1991
09-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Well in that respect I totally agree. I just don't think prominent main themes at the start or menu should be variation of Ezio's Family from AC2 that's all. Subtle assonance and internal reference is part of the composer's art after all.

Yeah. It's just, there was a creative decision to associate Ezio's theme with the Assassin Brotherhood. I don't necessarily agree, but it was a decision and I got used to it actually, feels nice in a way. I don't mind it not being featured in the main theme (as the theme is about family, Austin Wintory himself calls it 'bloodlines', so it makes sense that the theme of the brotherhood itself might not be incorporated into it), but I'll be sad if we won't hear Ezio's theme in the game at all, as that's one more stone in the bucket of lack of music cohesion.

----------------------

On a side-note, I just want to note the general reaction to ACS' music. When we were hearing it in demos and behind the scenes videos, people were like, 'music is meh'. Now that Austin Wintory was announced, people are like, 'OMFG THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!!'. Well, most likely a lot of the opinions are from different people, but still interesting to see the overall Internet reaction :D

VestigialLlama4
09-11-2015, 04:34 PM
On a side-note, I just want to note the general reaction to ACS' music. When we were hearing it in demos and behind the scenes videos, people were like, 'music is meh'. Now that Austin Wintory was announced, people are like, 'OMFG THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!!!'. Well, most likely a lot of the opinions are from different people, but still interesting to see the overall Internet reaction :D

I have sadly not yet played Journey so I didn't know the guy. It is a blind spot I know. It makes zero sense judging a music score from isolated pieces anyway.

For me it takes a while to get into the music, mostly because in a game in an action sequence I don't pay too much attention to it. I like the atmospheric, story, dramatic music more. And its weird but a lot of my favorite music pieces don't actually end on the soundtrack. Like "Peace at Forli" is my favorite Ezio music, it plays only four times across the series but all seminal moments (Leonardo makes Ezio's Hidden Blade and starts their friendship, Ezio and Leonardo leave Forli and go to Venice, Bonfire Speech, and Ezio's will).

The other is my favorite piece from AC3. The homestead theme. Unreleased unbelievably,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0oF6ovmrU

I started a thread for unreleased music.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1012085-Unreleased-Soundtrack-in-AC-Games

SixKeys
09-11-2015, 04:53 PM
BNOTUREHNBIOUNRTOIHBERTYNMERTY
BGTERUIBHEORTBMETNBTYENRTY
GBTEIRUVNRT
GBTIJREOBJVORTEMVOERTW

https://teamtcast.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/stephen-colbert-report-excited.gif

POMGGGGGGGGGGG
OMGGGGG
YUSSSSSSS

JOURNEY'S COMPOSER WORKING ON SYNDICATE!?!??!?!!?

*faints*

*dies*

*resurrects*

God I love Journey's soundtrack !!!!!!!!!!

This is the only acceptable response.

I-Like-Pie45
09-11-2015, 05:13 PM
journey isn't a game, it's an analogue stick pushing simulator

ze_topazio
09-11-2015, 05:29 PM
journey isn't a game, it's an analogue stick pushing simulator

http://i.imgur.com/xgz9nkR.gif?noredirect

Reptilis91
09-11-2015, 05:33 PM
The main theme is quite boring, IMO...

Ureh
09-11-2015, 06:53 PM
I haven't listened to his previous works, that's next on my list. So far what I've heard in the trailers sounds really engaging and impressive.

BananaBlighter
09-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Kinda sad after listening to the supposed 'main theme'. I'm not very fond of the messy clashing going on in the middle, I just can't identify an underlying rhythm. AC3 is still my fave.

SixKeys
09-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Ambient music confirmed?

https://twitter.com/awintory/status/642364775041597441

Aphex_Tim
09-11-2015, 10:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xgz9nkR.gif?noredirect

That guy in the middle must be the chillest dude on the planet.

HDinHB
09-11-2015, 10:13 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvgqklprmr1qdlkgg.gif

Good thing I wasn't drinking milk. (That gif is really gross.)

I'm not sure about what I've heard so far, don't really love it or hate it.

BananaBlighter
09-11-2015, 10:22 PM
ambient music confirmed?

https://twitter.com/awintory/status/642364775041597441

Yay!!!

AquilaTempestas
09-12-2015, 01:21 AM
I like the themes I've heard so far. It's sounds quite depressing and haunting in a way, and I really like that.

I don't know if this is actually official yet, but I found it the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCw8ZzckuY

TrustyBadger
09-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Kinda sad after listening to the supposed 'main theme'. I'm not very fond of the messy clashing going on in the middle, I just can't identify an underlying rhythm. AC3 is still my fave.

Same here. The 'Bloodlines' theme is an odd choice for main theme, it seems more suited to score a dramatic point in the game. For a series that's so action-oriented it sounds very personal and tragic. Hopefully the games action sequences will include some percussion because the violin solo featured in the latest gameplay footage doesn't really get the blood flowing.

My favourite soundtracks were those of ACR and AC3; if I had to pick one then it'd be AC3 which I enjoy listening to more than my time playing the game itself.

AquilaTempestas
09-12-2015, 12:16 PM
I really liked Bloodlines, and I felt the 'messy clashing' part symbolized the twins and their contrasting personalities.

I also liked the overall tone of the song - I love tragic and depressing sounding stuff, and I'm hoping for an epic ending :D (hopefully one of them dies - preferably Jacob even though I do like him - Rockstar did it with Red Dead Redemption and GTA V).

SpiritOfNevaeh
09-12-2015, 04:02 PM
From AccessTheAnimus's Twitter:

According to @awintory, #ACSyndicate OST will incorporate "Ezio's Family" ad will feature exploration music!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COs-VMwWoAAh2TQ.jpg

Sigh... Ezio's Family again :rolleyes:

Aphex_Tim
09-12-2015, 04:11 PM
^Depends on how it's incorporated. Like we've discussed earlier in this thread, as a returning theme for the entire franchise, it could work; even benefit the game. Provided it's used for something like an Assassin Brotherhood theme and not blatantly as a main theme like Rogue did.

WendysBrioche
09-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Hm, no references to Ezio's theme in the main theme
Oh no, they have it in there, the main theme is a modification of Ezio's theme, made to feel more in theme with Victorian Britain. And they play the actual Ezio theme notes too in the Evie Frye gameplay demo when she enters the palace area with cobblestone walls I believe. So it's definitely there. But I do like fresh soundtracks, I think Ezio's theme only works well with European settings, anywhere else it would seem generic.

I swear to God, the music in these games keeps improving by a magnitude. I thought Unity's was great but Syndicate's tracks are making me cry. Every note is hit with the utmost perfection, every sound placed with such precision in just the right areas, while I'm not too excited for this game, the whole London street gang thing is a turn off for me, I still stand to give this game credit for for what appears to be a brilliant upcoming soundtrack.

I'll get the game just for this and the beautiful city. Plus they used all the ideas I wanted this game to have including rideable carriages, rideable trains for transport, and the cane sword, all things your dearest truly clamoured about on these forums for months for this game to have *snickers* jkjk I'm a rotten sob.

But anyways, this music is great and just pitch perfect. Everything sounds lively and beautiful, more so I think than Unity, which was my favorite soundtrack in the series before Syndicate. Not to say classic AC was bad, these games have always had top notch music, when I first played AC 1 I thought there was nothing that could be done to make this game's music any better, it was always seemingly the best possible at that time. But with most of their releases, they just seem to keep raising the bar.

In terms of the atmosphere, visuals, animations and sounds, these games are turning out wonderfully. Can't wait to try this game out. ^^

SixKeys
09-12-2015, 10:43 PM
I like the themes I've heard so far. It's sounds quite depressing and haunting in a way, and I really like that.

I don't know if this is actually official yet, but I found it the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCw8ZzckuY

Holy shiiiizzz, this is amazing. *___*

ACfan443
09-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Holy shiiiizzz, this is amazing. *___*

Fanmade, by some guy called Orivian.

=============================

I liked the cue that was used to mark the district liberation in the very first demo (part of the main theme), but the main theme as a whole isn't doing it for me, partly because it's too short and progression and impact feel weak in that regard. He did mention there'll be several variations so I'll look out for the lengthier ones, just hope the motif is used sparingly and isn't co-opted to high heaven like Balfe's ACR theme.

The music in the recent train demo was decidedly terrible though, and it came as a surprise when it was followed up with Austin's announcement as composer considering what a great discography he has under his belt. If his previous works are an indication of what's to come then it has the potential to be quite a memorable score, in spite of the taster we've received with these vertical slices.

SixKeys
09-13-2015, 03:14 AM
Fanmade, by some guy called Orivian.

Damn. Still amazing, though. And the official themes are growing on me.

Keep in mind that the music we've heard in demos may not appear in that exact scene in the final game. The train track might be meant for another mission or cut scene.

HoyHoyJake
09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
This is really exciting! Austin Wintory is great and I can't wait to see what he does.

ACfan443
09-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Damn. Still amazing, though. And the official themes are growing on me.

Keep in mind that the music we've heard in demos may not appear in that exact scene in the final game. The train track might be meant for another mission or cut scene.

Yeah, I think for demos they tend to cut and stitch music according to what fits the scene rather than how it'll be implemented in the final build, like AC4's stealth walkthrough which had a few pieces that weren't in the retail version.

One of the tracks from Syndicate I do hope is used like it was in the demo is the chariot chase theme from the debut gameplay, it was quite unusual and I enjoyed the experimentalness of it.

VestigialLlama4
09-13-2015, 09:06 PM
One of Lydia’s wonderful ideas for the game was the incorporation of legitimately authentic folk tunes and hymns into the score, as melodic fragments you constantly stumble upon. They’re heard throughout London and played by various street performers, so it’s similar to the sea chanties from Assassin’s Creed IV. We saw to it that they bleed rather deeply into the score as well.
http://blog.ubi.com/grammy-austin-wintory-assassins-creed-syndicate/

Cool.

I-Like-Pie45
09-13-2015, 10:39 PM
i would've preferred morrissey as the composer

Farlander1991
09-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Returning a back on topic of theme connectivity between games. There's a good example: The Elder Scrolls series. While the first two games lack a common theme (to be fair though, the series itself hasn't found yet what it was truly in the first two games), ever since the third game all parts have the same theme but with a different variation (and it's similar to AC in a way that all those games deal with different regions and time periods).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMao-aSeO2w

AC, I believe, can go more complex (as it tries to now) - each game having its own theme, but also having an inter-connected series theme.

Btw, speaking of Ezio's theme, something curious - as iconic as it is for Ezio, AC2 had never had a full musical phrase of it, with just bits and/or variations of it in only a couple places: title scene, getting the assassin outfit, and... that's about it? Heck, even one of the most beautiful moments in the game (Ezio's speech at Bonfire) didn't actually have his theme.

To be fair, though, Venice Rooftops sounds quite a few times both in the main and in side race missions, and it takes Ezio's theme as its base. So there's that.

VestigialLlama4
09-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Returning a back on topic of theme connectivity between games. There's a good example: The Elder Scrolls series. While the first two games lack a common theme (to be fair though, the series itself hasn't found yet what it was truly in the first two games), ever since the third game all parts have the same theme but with a different variation (and it's similar to AC in a way that all those games deal with different regions and time periods).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMao-aSeO2w

AC, I believe, can go more complex (as it tries to now) - each game having its own theme, but also having an inter-connected series theme.

Btw, speaking of Ezio's theme, something curious - as iconic as it is for Ezio, AC2 had never had a full musical phrase of it, with just bits and/or variations of it in only a couple places: title scene, getting the assassin outfit, and... that's about it? Heck, even one of the most beautiful moments in the game (Ezio's speech at Bonfire) didn't actually have his theme.

To be fair, though, Venice Rooftops sounds quite a few times both in the main and in side race missions, and it takes Ezio's theme as its base. So there's that.

What about the AC2 titles, "It's a good life we live brother!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps7G0Qtw-TE

The theme music that plays over Bonfire is "Peace at Forli"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myywbAPETVk

A piece of music that has never been on the soundtrack but it plays over scenes like Ezio and Leonardo bonding after Leonardo makes his hidden blades, and then the two of them sailing to Forli and it makes an amazing comeback in Embers' Final Letter. I always think of that as Ezio's personal theme, while the other is AC2, the game and setting's theme

Farlander1991
09-18-2015, 09:53 AM
What about the AC2 titles, "It's a good life we live brother!"

I've mentioned it, 'title scene'

The theme music that plays over Bonfire is "Peace at Forli"

Yeah, I know :) Though more popularly known as 'Salvation of Forli' (as there's no actual official name for the track)

A piece of music that has never been on the soundtrack but it plays over scenes like Ezio and Leonardo bonding after Leonardo makes his hidden blades, and then the two of them sailing to Forli and it makes an amazing comeback in Embers' Final Letter. I always think of that as Ezio's personal theme, while the other is AC2, the game and setting's theme

The thing is, the theme was actually written for Venice (and it sounds when we sail from Forli TO Venice).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPY5uu4SntI

The Salvation of Forli is a variation of that. Which makes the name referencing Forli quite weird actually. I think it's usage in Embers' final letter was more of a callback to its usage in Bonfire (as both are about Ezio thinking about his life, essentially).

Btw, when Leonardo makes the hidden blades it's Leonardo's Inventions that sounds on the background. Can you please tell where Salvation of Forli sounds?

VestigialLlama4
09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
The Salvation of Forli is a variation of that. Which makes the name referencing Forli quite weird actually. I think it's usage in Embers' final letter was more of a callback to its usage in Bonfire (as both are about Ezio thinking about his life, essentially).

Btw, when Leonardo makes the hidden blades it's Leonardo's Inventions that sounds on the background. Can you please tell where Salvation of Forli sounds?

I think I made a mistake, I remember it playing at another moment, and it was not with Leonardo but in the memory where Ezio meets with the other Assassins at Venice after confronting Borgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDdQFuyrKM

At the end of the mission, the music plays in the background.

Farlander1991
09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Yeah, but as I said, that tune is the theme of Venice. In the game proper you hear it in different variations only in Venice - as ambience known from Tour of Venice, during sequence beginnings in Venice when the city is being built (at least the first one for sure, don't remember if in other ones as well) and in different cutscenes from Venice - like the end of Sequence 7 or the moment you mentioned after Borgia. Its use in Bonfire of the Vanities is an anomaly - it's the only time when the sound is not related somehow to Venice in terms of location (we hear it once on the ship outside of Venice, but the ship is headed TO Venice), and I think that's because the DLC hadn't actually any music written for it, and that particular variation seemed to fit in mood and size. Well, with Embers being the second time, but I think that's only because of how it was used in Bonfire.

bitebug2003
09-22-2015, 05:50 PM
I just purchased the PS4 AC Syndicate Big Ben Theme.

The music accompanied is dreadful (I'm sorry) but I uninstalled it after 30-40 seconds.

I know it's just a theme but that music is from the game :S

BananaBlighter
09-22-2015, 05:58 PM
I just purchased the PS4 AC Syndicate Big Ben Theme.

The music accompanied is dreadful (I'm sorry) but I uninstalled it after 30-40 seconds.

I know it's just a theme but that music is from the game :S

Yeah the music was disappointing, but I kept it just coz it's AC and I don't wanna waste my good 1.69 I spent on it.

bitebug2003
09-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Yeah the music was disappointing, but I kept it just coz it's AC and I don't wanna waste my good 1.69 I spent on it.

The AC Unity one from last year was better

BananaBlighter
09-22-2015, 06:05 PM
The AC Unity one from last year was better

Oh I don't have that one, I'll check it out.

CrossedEagle
09-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Today I sought clarification on Syndicate's pause menu music. I asked Austin Wintory on Twitter if "Dido's Lament" was going to be the menu music for Syndicate, or if it was just a placeholder theme for the demo. I didn't really expect an answer, but he got back to me! He said "it's in the pause menu. I only use the text [of Dido's Lament] though. Melody is my own." He also added "that said, Dido & Aeneas text is all throughout the game :)". This has me excited. I'm all for Ancient Rome references :)

Alphacos007
09-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Nice, I wonder why he chose those specifically.

Xangr8
09-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Today I sought clarification on Syndicate's pause menu music. I asked Austin Wintory on Twitter if "Dido's Lament" was going to be the menu music for Syndicate, or if it was just a placeholder theme for the demo. I didn't really expect an answer, but he got back to me! He said "it's in the pause menu. I only use the text [of Dido's Lament] though. Melody is my own." He also added "that said, Dido & Aeneas text is all throughout the game :)". This has me excited. I'm all for Ancient Rome references :)
These threads might interest you ;)
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3drwds/heres_the_cool_thing_about_the_cool_thing_about/
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3hjlbe/how_i_think_syndicate_could_start/

CrossedEagle
09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
These threads might interest you ;)
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3drwds/heres_the_cool_thing_about_the_cool_thing_about/
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3hjlbe/how_i_think_syndicate_could_start/

I actually wrote "How I think Syndicate Could Start" ha ha. I like to confuse people with my different names :P I also read Ares' theory too. All I can say is that we better be due for at least some Ancient Rome references.

BananaBlighter
10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
He's put a new track up on soundcloud. This is the one in composer reveal vid, it's called 'Top Hats and Sword Canes', though pretty sure it should be cane sword. However I do like it a lot more than Bloodlines! :D

https://soundcloud.com/awintory/assassins-creed-syndicate-top-hats-and-sword-canes

RVSage
10-07-2015, 06:06 PM
The new track top hats and sword canes is simply brilliant :D

Kaschra
10-07-2015, 07:46 PM
He's put a new track up on soundcloud. This is the one in composer reveal vid, it's called 'Top Hats and Sword Canes', though pretty sure it should be cane sword. However I do like it a lot more than Bloodlines! :D

https://soundcloud.com/awintory/assassins-creed-syndicate-top-hats-and-sword-canes

Damn, this is amazing!